Topic: [REQ] Please add some disable tags to Mass for Win2k

--<edit>--
original Title "Noob in need of some advice here please !!!"

Mass storage has too many drivers for win2k please add some disable tags!

--<edit>--

First of all, please apologize my english, my personal regional settings are from Argentina :P

Se here we go !

I work on a health center, currently with 537 computers and printers, so I started to work on something to deploy windows fast...

Here is what I do:

Install Windows 2000 on VirtualBox, add basic aplications, apply all updates.

Use the reg entries from the KB that describes the issue about STOP 0x0000007B while moving a hard drive from one computer to another.

Use the info from KB that describes changing UP HAL to MP HAL on Windows 2000 to get the list of HALs and the BOOT.INI entries needed

Set BOOT.INI to choose from 3 different HALs and kernels and ALWAYS start in Safemode

Use Acronis True Image to image the disk into another virtual disk, use Winmount v3 to mount the virtual hard disk and then copy the image to the Host machine.

Whenever I see a PC fooling around my desk I deploy that image on it if I haven´t done it yet.

So, I remember myself cooking CDs of Windows XP with bashrath´s driverpacks to deploy on notebooks 2 years ago, but I don´t know how can I add driverpacks properly into mi image:

1) There is any trouble (read pros and cons ) about leaving 1Gb of drivers in every PC ???

2) What about KTD and SAD ??? ( Sorry, I stopped using driverpacks like 2 years ago )

3) It is ok to leave all driverpacks in a folder and change registry driver-search path pointing at it ???

4) How can I tell Windows 2000 to search subfolders anyway ???

5) Hate booting into safemode, should I start right away into normal mode after HAL change ???

6) My boss keeps scaring the S**T outta me talking about SID issues with clones in a domain, and I keep telling him to stop whining, for the SID used in domains is not the local SID but the one in the domain controller, wich one of us is right ???

Thanks for the patience, to anyone, sorry !!!!!

PS:  I wish that one day we can deploy Win 7, but it seems like I have to wait 8 years or more...

Last edited by colguetti (2009-09-12 00:27:59)

Re: [REQ] Please add some disable tags to Mass for Win2k

OMG S.A.D. FTW !!! I´ve stumbled upon a post that says that I can make a CD with drivers with S.A.D. and run a batch file to update drivers on a machine !!! that means that I can make a DIRECTORY ( F**K folders tongue ) with all drivers inside, put a batch file to auto-start on first boot and this batch can automagically erase all drivers when finished ??? IF that is true, you guys rock !!! ELSE you rock anyways !!!!

LOL...

Yes, SAD will allow you to "put a batch file to auto-start on first boot and this batch can automagically erase all drivers when finished "

Yay, We rock! (Because it IS true) big_smile

I am sure I speak for the entire DriverPacks Team when I say we are very grateful for your praise,

Thank you

The DriverPacks team

PS Welcome to the DriverPacks Forum

PSS When a machine joins a domain its SID is updated. (you are both right) So the question is do you join the domain after you deploy? if not then SID can be an issue... I use GHOST because it automagicaly sets a unique SID when you deploy wink.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thank you !!! Meanwhile I´ve downloaded DPBase and drivers packs, created two SAD folders, one with M1 and one with M2, these two are now on my pendrive and ready to go for some testing at my work big_smile

Thank you !!!!

PS: I created the image with one admin user, after deploy, test, backup copying, THEN it joins our domain, Thanks again, I think that reading some more KBs will help me to clarify this issue.

Regards

Julio

Thank you sir ! SAD + M1 solved my geek puzzle here !! But I still have some questions to ask... please tell me if it`s ok to ask these here or should I ask over at MSFN.org ( those guys rocks too !!! )

Here are some:

Hate booting into safemode, should I start right away into normal mode after HAL change ? If you answer is to keep booting safe, please explain why

Can I make SAD run the driverpack finisher by itself, or should I keep pressing enter anyways

SAD should run the finisher automatically...

since you join the domain after deployment SID is not an issue for you...
A new SID is assigned onto the machine when you join, and that sid is the one the server sees and uses too wink.

I will wait for one of the sysprep gurus to answer the boot to safe mode quandary...

PS
SAD will exit after 30 seconds without user input...
you can also use "dp_inst_tool Q" for quiet mode

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Last night, around 3am local time I`ve put all driverpacks in my pendrive, today I`ve already deployed 3 machines with my universal image, 3 different machines and it works flawlessly !!! Then I plug my pendrive with driverpacks in it, and something kinda weird happened to me, on the first machine driverpacks were applied flawless, on the second machine audio and pci bus got stuck, and third machine also was a flawless run...

I know that my caffeine level on thursday nights is far from ideal, thats why I think that I´ve messed up with directory naming conventions ( F**K folders, again tongue)
I´ve renamed Driverpacks.net to 1 and 2 each made with one of the methods
available (read: the cabber and the 7zipper )

I´ve also noticed that when DPinst finished a line says on the console: bad command or file name... OMG that´s when the DPfinisher should come out and play !!!, I´ll check that out, but I´m a little confused...

I´ve also made a new CD with driverpacks integrated, but fails to install due to an error in a .sys file, but I know it`s because of Windows 2000 limitation with text mode mass storage driver size (read about that here !! wink ) this night I´ll make one without mass storage text mode to see what happens, meanwhile I´m modifying my current image...

Thank you !!! Thanks for your time and your good advices !!

HA! I knew it !!! Now I can go to sleep without feeling dirty about not changing SID on deploy, for me thats priceless !!! thats why I say that you guys rock !!!!

1 day of this forum brainstorming about deployment and configuration approachs and 700 employees of microsoft should be fired !!! just for having twisted ideas.

Last edited by colguetti (2009-09-12 09:32:49)

Let's tag this with a [REQ]...

We need to get some of those mass storage drivers marked for ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k" in the mass storage INI to get us back under the limit for win 2k.

(you can add this line to a few drivers you don't need and repack yourself to get up an running right away wink)

sry for the dumb question...what is SAD???

Checking the FAQ forum would have yielded you this

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2264

specificaly this post is most informative for recent DriverPacks BASE versions wink
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 159#p20159

Not a dumb question... But you probbly could have found it on your own wink tongue big_smile

Ok, thanks again for pointing me on the right direction OverFlow !!!! since SAD M1 is working flawlessly as an autostart right after 1rst boot of deployed image, guess I´ll be using that approach for this week, anyway it would be nice to mark some mass storage lines for win2k, so I will do it for my next build wich starts this wednesday !!!

Thanks again buddies !!!!

PS: I wish I had a cold beer dispenser & teleporter, you really deserve a cold one !!!!!

Bump !!! I´m using SAD on my win2000 universal image, all works fine, but I have two questions:

Is there any driverpack for modems ??? If there is none, it´s ok if I start making one ???

It takes about 20 minutes SAD + M1, is there any way to make it faster ??? or can I tell windows 2000 to check on subfolders ???

tpdps here http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewforum.php?id=13  (modems included)

There is at least one way to make it faster but the tool is still alpha...
It uses a technique that extracts only drivers that will potentialy match the local machine.
this has cut time from about 12 min to around 8 min...
What can i say it takes time to search over 1000 folders of drivers... wink

M2 will likely be faster... since we are not putting the SAD folder on an ODD (cd or dvd are searchable from add new hardware wizard) there is no benefit to useing M1.

Thanks !!! I´ll try M2 but since my machines are Pentium III with 128 - 256 RAM it takes ALOT to decompress even small files, I´ll try today at work !!!