Topic: SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) disc - A DriverPacks Drivers Only CD / DVD guide

Will a S.A.D. makes us happy?
Answer - Yes!

DriverPacks BASE now includes the Stand Alone Driver platform.

simply install DriverPacks per the tutorial and select the SAD option in DriverPacks BASE instead of Disc.
Note: it is not neccessary to have a source OS. That step can be skipped for SAD.

then burn the created DriverPacks.net folder to any local drive (ODD, ThumbDrive, USB HDD, ect...)
Note: Network locations will only work with M2... 

Run DP_Install_Tool.cmd from the DriverPacks.net\ folder and all drivers on the current machine will be updated.

if you wish you can create an ODD with an Autorun.inf to call the .CMD file.  wink
can you say Automatic updater!

*** Edit ***
New SAD2 utility with NT5/NT6 (Vista/Win7) compatibility is here:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 590#p41590

====================================================
ALL INFO BELOW HERE IS FOR REFERENCE AND IS OUT OF DATE as of Sept 2008 DriverPacks BASE 8.09
====================================================

If you have DP_Base version 8.x or newer then see the later post in this topic since DPInst is included.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 159#p20159

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLD DIRECTIONS BELOW ARE FOR MANUAL CREATION OF A 'SEARCHABLE' CD, or SAD Disk

the following directions are here now only for reference and background info

- click link above for up to date directions

- although the info is still all accurate, it is simplified by the DP_Install_Tool.cmd that is now included with DriverPacks BASE and added when the DriverPacks are slipstreamed. the DP_install_Tool automates the directions below. It is also no longer necessary to cab compress the files to make them fit on a CD the tool will extract them from an \OEM\ folder that has been copied to a CD from a DriverPacks slipstreamed source. (it will extract teh 7zip archived packs although this format is not "searchable" it is effective wink )

-------------------------- Searchable CD directions
this method fits all the main packs on a CD and DOES NOT require extraction from the CD to the local machine

for Manual Driver updates From a searchable ODD

To create a CD we must conserve space and CAB compress the drivers so they will actually fit on a CD
1) Run DriverPacks BASE as normal on any OS source folder useing Method 1 (M1).
    Doing so will create "Source Folder \$OEM$\$1\D\"

2) Burn the \D folder from  "Source Folder \$OEM$\$1\" to a CD.

Notes:

It is not neccessary to select MassStorage Text-Mode for this and it will save a little time if you don't

Method One will cab compress the DriverPacks so they all will fit on a single CD.
     All of the DriverPacks when simply extracted will require about  1.5 GB of disk space.
     All of the DriverPacks when cab compressed by M1 only require about 500 MB of disk space.

The $OEM$\$1\D folder will contain a sub-folder for each type of DriverPack you selected in DriverPacks BASE.
     If you wish you may select individual sub folders of the D\ folder for your "Drivers Only" CD.

-------------------------- Searchable DVD directions
When creating a DVD space is no longer a concern and no sense in wasting time with the cab compression.

for Manual Driver updates From a searchable ODD

1) Extract the packs to a temporary folder

2) Burn the \D folder to a DVD.

---------------------------How to Search your ODD

insert your CD/DVD in the PC and:
1. find the device manager items without correct drivers.
2. click "Update driver" for one of those items
3. click "Install from a list or specific location"
4. checkbox "Search removable media" and click next

-------------------------How to add the One Click update Option...

If you do not wish to manually install the drivers you may, if you wish, use the following method
This is based on info brought to our attention by one of our members - Warm Snow (WsnoW)
It uses the  MS dpinst tool  an excellent redistributable minisetup... TY MS! big_smile

1. Download http://3rdpartydriverpacks.thesneaky.co … /DPInst.7z

2. Extract DPINST.exe and DPInst.xml to the same folder as \D

3. To use it simply double click on the DPInst.exe file and click the next button!

.... ahhh curious why i said one click when that is obviously three clicks...

4. for True One Click updateing one must add DPInst.exe to autorun.inf in the root of the disc - wink big_smile

----------------------------How to More add even more Options...

=======
THUMBDRIVE S.A.D.
For thumbdrive with 2Gb or better.
- Really this will make any disk a "drivers only disk" or SAD disk simply copy to that media. wink
  -  Special note Network locations are not advisable...
     the OS gets a little annoyed when the chipset and or the NIC drivers are being updated,
     this has been known to make the drivers unavailable in the middle of updateing them. roll big_smile

See DVD instructions 1. and 2.  and How to add the One Click update Option 1. and 2.

The D\ folder must be a subfolder of the one that contains the DPINST.exe and DPInst.xml files ! ! !
If you wish to rename the D\ folder you will have to edit the DPInst.XML file,  and hopefully rtfm wink

-------------------Unnattended Option:

create a .CMD file (or if you dare tongue... an Autorun.inf) with the following line --->  DPInst.exe /c /s

/c enables logging to the command window (the install is totaly silent without this switch - progress window)
/s enables silent mode (no GUI / Unattended)

Last edited by OverFlow (2008-08-25 17:10:08)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) disc - A DriverPacks Drivers Only CD / DVD guide

Does the DPInst also work with un-7ZIPped files as opposed to CABs?
Reason I'm asking is that because makecab.EXE is only using one core of my CPU (a P4 3GHz with HyperThreading) which results in a very slow performance (worse than 7zip because that actually uses both virtual cores) and I don't feel like disabling HT in the BIOS just for this (needs a reboot every time).
I started M1 when I edited the link in your other post and it is still working on compressing the CABs.
M2 would only take about 10min on this system, extracting all 7zip DriverPacks slightly longer.

Since I do test each and every nightly, this means I have to reapply M1 quite often in order to keep an up-to-date driver disc.

Not having to point the driver search wizzard manually to the drivers dir/disc definately does not make up for this long waiting time (I also include the 3rd party DriverPack).
I certainly wouldn't mind using a DVD for this and also can neglect the longer bruning time for more content because it pales in comparison to the wait M1 burdens on me! tongue

Yes... as long as the fully extracted D\ folder is a subfolder of the DPInst files location

the ONLY reason to use M1 to cab compress them is to save space.

So following through with your idea...

base would not be required at all
just extract them and burn to cd or dvd and it will work just the same.

I did not realize makecab would run faster if i disabled my hyperthreading? (i have a 2.8HT myself)
it makes sense now that i think about it...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Well, it's finished now - after a whopping 3 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds!

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2116/longslipng1.png

I won't be doing that any time soon again (I can create a whole new ISO with update packs, DriverPacks in M2 and stuff and test it on my testing machine during that time wink).

I will try your version later on, it was just to see how it works, not that I need a drivers disc right now.
I rather need to catch some of that warm sunlight wink

Anyway, yes, for programmes that only stick to one core (no SMP support) disabling HT on a single-core system (for all who don't know, HT is sort of a fake dual core but does help with spreading load even during multi-tasking making your system much more responsive) does boost performance about 100% because they will then take up a close 100% of CPU resources as opposed to the previous maximum of 50% (one core).

As it's not a real dual core, this means running on only one core equals running on a single-core CPU with only half the clock speed (in my case one 1.5GHz as opposed to 3.0 GHz).

if you enable QSC (with my RC2 version that corrects the /D/D bug) it won't take that long in the future wink
then it will only have to cab the "new" pack instead of having to CAB them all...
On my machine I can cab all the primary ten packs (with an empty QSC folder - or QSC off) in about an hour.
Perhaps you should temporarily disable "on access scanning" for your virus scanner.
on access virus scanning would certainly kill your time...
Each file would otherwise be scanned multiple times
Once when it is extracted to the temp folder again whe it is cabbed to QSC and a third time when copied to the $OEM$\$1\D\ folder.
I disable on access scanning for my DriverPacks folders during M1 for just that reason...

so your four hour cabbing was probably more like 1 hour cabbing and three hours virus scanning each file three or more times.

Well, while you are right about the on-access scanning, I monitored the task manager closely (which is also where I discovered makecab.EXE not being SMP-capable).
My virus scanner (NOD32) wasn't grabbing any more CPU resources than in does on idle (hence not noticeable), and even if it did, I would still have had the other core for it to use wink
AT no time did my overall CPU usage come even close to 100%.

Anyway, I did enable QSC, as I always do with M2 (even if it's just for DPMS there), so I may give it another try once a pack has been updated smile

I am updateing the first post now -
Helmi has made me realize that with DVD's being standard equiptment now that perhaps space is not as much of a concern as time.

smile

Well, as you may remember, I was still using CDs for my UWXPCD well into the second half of last year.
It's not that I am not DVD compatible, but sometimes you have to install on a PC that only sports a CD drive.
For most folks, that is enough for their tasks so why go and buy a DVD drive if the one you have still works fine.

I did move to DVD now, though, because it's simply taking way too much effort to slim down the image to CD size (or I have to leave out something essential).
If it really needs be, I will burn on an 800MB CD-R, however, as there are no RWs available at that capacity, it always poses some risk (as I cannot test the DriverPacks in a VM) because those 800 MB blanks cost considerably more than the 700 MB counterparts (and not every CD drive is compatible with them).

Anyway, wow, high bandwidth use on the image I posted.
Firstly, it was rather small (both dimension and size) and secondly, how many page views have we got???

As of Base 8.05 dpinst.exe is included and copied during the slipstream
this makes any DriverPacks slipstreamed disk a drivers only disk, in addition to its normal function.

Bâshrat the Sneaky called this feature a 'SAD disc' or Stand Alone Drivers disc.
we are exploreing other options for this tool as well, stay tuned...

Since DPInst is a Microsoft redistributable file lets start with their description...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790308.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790806.aspx

text below is copied from the above links

Windows Driver Kit: Device Installation
Driver Package Installer (DPInst)
Driver Package Installer (DPInst) version 2.1 is a component of Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) version 2.1 that simplifies and customizes the installation of driver packages for devices that are not yet installed in a computer (commonly known as a software-first installation). DPInst also automatically updates the drivers for any installed devices that are supported by the newly installed driver packages.

By using DPInst, you can:

Enhance the user experience of a driver package by eliminating most of the manual steps that would otherwise be required to install driver packages. When a user runs DPInst, a wizard notifies the user of the installation progress and provides an optional end-user license agreement (EULA) page that gives the user the option to cancel installation. For more information about the wizard pages, see DPInst User Experience and Installing and Uninstalling Driver Packages.

Avoid writing a custom installation program to install driver packages and update the installed drivers for supported devices. You do not have to change your driver packages to use DPInst. You only need to create an installation package that includes DPInst and one or more driver packages. For more information about creating this type of installation package, see Creating a DPInst Installation Package.

Very Microsoft-eze,  In simple terms;

It updates Windows drivers at any time - not just during an install - It could be post install...
and this is how we use DPinst.exe - we add it to the OEM folder. (or $OEM$\$1\ for M1)
We also add a small script file in the same folder.
The script prepares the DriverPacks in the same way as it would for the method used to create the disk
(Method One or Method Two is "staged" the same as DriverPacks would do it.)
then DPinst is called from the script.

DPinst is the missing link we have been searching for to add drivers to an existing installation of windows, or update them:
It checks the current machines device manager, and compares its drivers to what is in the DriverPacks
If newer drivers are found in the DriverPacks than exist in the target machine then it's drivers are updated
- on the fly - Unattendedly.

Now, if that is not pretty darned slick all by itself... let me just toss this in for a bonus;

Since we have prestaged the drivers in exactly the same way as DriverPacks would the DP_Finisher will run exactly as it would if you had just done an unnatended install (except we didn't, we just dropped our disk in any computer)
The finisher calls keep the driver (KTD) and cleans up the packs and removes all traces of the driverpacks. (just like normal)
note: It applies whatever KTD settings exist in the source OEM folder. 

So what we have after all the smoke and mirrors is a way to install DriverPacks on any system (BlackBox) at any time.

THE SCRIPT IS \OEM\DP_Install_Tool.cmd (or \$OEM$\$1\DP_Install_Tool.cmd for M1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a one click solution to update ANY win2k winxp or win2k3 box with the DriverPacks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can you say...    Have a nice day! cool

PS normal installation of DriverPacks does not need or use DPInst.
PSS you could use AUTORUN.INF to call DP_Install_Tool.cmd big_smile
(might want to add a pause at the beginning of the script if you do wink )

Bump - first post updated

Well detailed instructions. Thank you in particular for the "How to add the One Click update Option"!

thanks nice info mates
sorry i was litle confused !

first tell me after extractinf DriverBASE where i extract SAD2 , and secondly tell me shortly which option i select to create standalone Cd so users my cd for installing drivers