Topic: massstorage and universal image[edited]

hi
I'm trying to make a universal image using sysprep only that will work on every machine, but the only problem i face only come from massStorage drivers with the stop code 7B.
here is my questions
-if i installed a huge amount of massstorage drivers, could there be any conflict that will cause the 7B stop error, or is it only happend because of missing driver?
-will there be any difference in installing massstorage drivers between installing them directly using sysprep or inject registry keys to (CriticalDeviceDatabase and services) then copy the sys files.
i ask about this because i found some chinese ghost images that are proved to work without any fail.(note im not chinese and i dont understand any chinese so even if its working its of no use for me but the drivers it contains can be useful).
-after a lot of testing i ended up having a huge list of massstorage drivers about 330 sys file and 2300 CriticalDeviceDatabase registry entry.
here is the list i have
http://paste.uni.cc/19656
i think there are a lot of entries that will never be used, can someone tell if there are any duplication that will cause any error. or any other mistake, up untill now i have two machines failed to start even their drivers are exist.
any advice is welcome

Last edited by allouh (2009-02-13 08:42:12)

Re: massstorage and universal image[edited]

We don't support warez... IE we are not going to go through files you pirated off the net...
swapping out the ntldr is also license bending.. and we don't support that either.

Do your own work Use Legitimate Copies start with a clean source and read up on what is here.
What you seek it explained in great detail by several excellent members. But no one here will help you with pirated goods... period.

Not a good first impression when you ask for help with stolen software hmm

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I'm not sure he said he was using pirated OS. Only issue is Longhorn's ntldr. Chinese sites were first to list details of how that version of ntldr can do automatic HAL detection and switch on each boot for XP (instead of using all those boot.ini entries you commonly see). Once Longhorn progressed to Vista, boot manager has developed more so that it is no longer backwards compatible.

EDIT: I see mention of ghost images -- not good...

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2009-02-12 20:10:50)

Still, technically, you'd have to have a license for Longhorn to use its NTLDR.
As that was only a non-public alpha/beta, that would be hard to acquire.

Second thing is providing that file for DL.
Unless MS sanctioned you as an official publisher for their files, or they offered a special license for it (as they do with some files), you cannot offer the file.
That makes those Chinese websites illegal (which might be the reason why they host it in China, after all...), and I don't think we want files from illegal sources around here, either.

And yes, that Ghost img tops it all...

Yep, I agree. Longhorn ntldr is a no-go license-wise. Which is unfortunate because of the functionality it has: a) increased memory limit; and b) automatic HAL detection and swap.

Wouldn't it be great if MS made the file legally downloadable for use with XP or whatever you wanted! But I doubt they'll show generosity in this way.

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2009-02-12 21:09:19)

hello everyone
i see eveyone went harsh on me because of the illegal issues.
read the first sentence i wrote

I'm trying to make a universal image using sysprep only

so if im looking for an illegal software i would go for symantec restore anyware or acronis  universal restore. and save my self all the trouble.
i will clear things up.
-first i didn't know that using loghorn ntldr is an illegal issue, actually thanks for telling this to me, if that is the casee then i wont use it.
-second i don't use a pirated softwares nor a pirated os, the chinese ghost image is only for checking and testing only, with this ghost image i can check the drivers installed and the registry keys and copy them to another system ( even without installing the ghost itself ), so i don't think browsing an os files without installing it is an illegal issue.(if im wrong please say so).
my question was if i copied the registry keys( under CriticalDeviceDatabase and the needed services ) and the drivers from drivers folder to another system, will this be any difference than the already installed system on the ghost and will this cause any issue.
if this issue is discussed somewhere it would be good to refere me, i searched but i didn't find what is related to my issue.
hope it is clear now
thanks everyone

Last edited by allouh (2009-02-13 04:06:33)

The only difference I could think is that some drivers like jmicron and nvidia add registry keys other than the one you mentionned.

[pnp_pci_addreg]
HKR, Parameters\PnpInterface, 5,                 0x00010001, 0x00000001

This one in particular if missing could cause BSOD specially with nVidia.

OfflineSysprep took care of this issue, so I would recommend using it instead of injecting all storage drivers into your image, you can only inject the one detected in your PE...by doing that you prevent driver from conflicting with one and other.

JakeLD wrote:

The only difference I could think is that some drivers like jmicron and nvidia add registry keys other than the one you mentionned.

[pnp_pci_addreg]
HKR, Parameters\PnpInterface, 5,                 0x00010001, 0x00000001

This one in particular if missing could cause BSOD specially with nVidia.

OfflineSysprep took care of this issue, so I would recommend using it instead of injecting all storage drivers into your image, you can only inject the one detected in your PE...by doing that you prevent driver from conflicting with one and other.

if these values are under HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services then its been taken care of.
i injected the services that their names are locate under [sysprepcleanup] of sysprep inf file, in addition to the HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\control\CriticalDeviceDatabase.
the registry keys for services that i injected are these
http://paste.uni.cc/19655
if there are other registry locations that contains critical keys that need to be injected that would be helpful.
thanks

Last edited by allouh (2009-02-13 06:38:50)

Thanks for clearing things up for us sir... Yes we can and will help you.

Please remove the link from your post for us...
Obviously there was a misunderstanding, sorry, We (I) don't mean to be harsh.
We have very few rules though and it SEEMED as if you had infringed on a big one wink.

I wish you the Best of Luck and our warm Greetings.

Welcome to DriverPacks!

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

allouh wrote:

hello everyone
i see eveyone went harsh on me because of the illegal issues.

Look, we were all just pointing out some legal issues.
A harsh reply would have been closing the thread down and banning you for even mentioning it.
We did neither, so I guess we weren't really harsh on you wink

No harm done in my book.

Anyway, well, yes, even obtaining an illegal copy of an OS (or any other copyrighted material) can already be illegal in some countries - you don't have to install it (that would additionally be a breach of user license).

Not that I or anyone cares much about what you do (and you have to judge yourself about this being morally right or not), but there's a difference when you post about that in public (=we don't like that).
It may actually give others the impression it would be an a-ok thing to do, and we don't want to give that impression, alright?

As the misunderstanding has been cleared, let's get back to business then, shall we?

JakeLD wrote:

Note: I have discovered a bug with the 'Install only PE-detected non-IDE Mass Storage Device(s)' option. Only devices with HWIDs with 'PCI\' are injected. So HWIDs like 'SCSI\', 'GenNvRaidDisk', '*NVRAIDBUS' won't be injected with this method (well, until I can do a fix, which seems a bit unlikely at the moment).

So, work-around is to make use of user_settings.ini file and enable desired drivers. Eg:

[disable_drivers]
all=disable

[enable_drivers]
qnvrd325=enable
qnvraid=enable

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2009-02-14 15:00:41)

Galapo wrote:

Yep, I agree. Longhorn ntldr is a no-go license-wise. Which is unfortunate because of the functionality it has: a) increased memory limit; and b) automatic HAL detection and swap.

Wouldn't it be great if MS made the file legally downloadable for use with XP or whatever you wanted! But I doubt they'll show generosity in this way.

Regards,
Galapo.

We never thought they would cough up something like dpinst either wink

Perhaps good things will come to us in due time wink

in the mean time you could buy a server license everytime you install XP LOL

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but you guys may want to check out FOG.  Beats the pants off of both Ghost and Acronis.  Free and open sauce to boot.

I need to check it out, I never heard of it... I have always had ghost so I never needed to look around wink

But i have grown quite a fondness for opensource freeware of late wink

Im downloading it now! thanks for the tip!