Re: [Tool] ListHWID.vbs v1.2.0

kickarse wrote:

It's completely normal.

It may be completely normal, but not a good thing nonetheless.  I don't know how many years ago this was, but it was before DP BASE, I discovered a bit of an issue with a RealTek audio device totally interfering with an Analog Devices SoundMAX.  I believe the solution in the end was to lop off the offending hwid from the RealTek.

What had me scratching my head was the duplication "short" hwids, but not "long" ones.

Nice, will ur script check monitors ID in future?

Us2002 wrote:

Nice, will ur script check monitors ID in future?

Just added a seperate script for collecting monitor HWIDs.  Also it appears as though monitor hwids are just like some other very short hwids.  It isn't optimal but this may wind up being a solution for now.  Or I may just have to perform two regex operations for everything in one script.

Oh, and sometimes there are multiple HWIDs per line separated by a comma. And sometimes they are variables (like %C01%) that you have to pull from the strings section.

The more that I am getting into this the more I am beginning to think that I may need to port the code over to another environment.  VBscript offers good but not great support for regex.  There seem to be some missing functionality in the area of conditional processing and negative lookaround.

Yeah that's why I wrote mine in autoit.

It's funny I was just looking through the AutoIt help file to look at the regex support it offers.  And it doesn't seem to offer even as much as VBscript.  I've been wanting to take up Perl for quite some time now and that seems to be the gold standard for regex.  I'm probably going to take a look at that route.

Perl is the good stuff wink...
we will never get you back after that...
...perl leads to linux...
and once your hooked...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

Perl is the good stuff wink...

I use MRTG which is Perl based and it's incredible.  Plus I like that Perl is cross platform.

OverFlow wrote:

we will never get you back after that...

Unfortunately for me I will be supporting Windows until I retire.  And it will be XP for the next six years if I have anything to say about it.

OverFlow wrote:

...perl leads to linux...

Already there wink

OverFlow wrote:

and once your hooked...

I've been using Kubuntu as my primary OS on my desktop (still XP on my laptop) for over a year now.  I dare anybody to do that and still contend that Windows is anything but a piece of crap.

Hi,

RogueSpear
It may be completely normal, but not a good thing nonetheless.  I don't know how many years ago this was, but it was before DP BASE, I discovered a bit of an issue with a RealTek audio device totally interfering with an Analog Devices SoundMAX.  I believe the solution in the end was to lop off the offending hwid from the RealTek.

What had me scratching my head was the duplication "short" hwids, but not "long" ones.

The "short" HWIDs are indeed the major cause of conflict. The shorter they are, the more generic, and there are quite a few WHQL signed drivers which have some "super generic" in them, interfering with proper install of a "slightly-older" with (originally) same generic in it.

Many moons ago we did a quite radical thing to Sound Packs. In Sound, we used the VBS from SpotlightUtility05, its output is CSV.
(that spotlight tool does not eliminate doubles).
CSV was imported into Excell and then manually filtered.
It was a huge task, but we made it possible to load sound A and B without the thousands of conflicts it once had.
(as an aside, had I been using Excell 2007 THEN, I/we would probably have a slightly different result, with a LOT less manhours put in. We used a hilite formula in excell 2000 back then..)

Anyway, the spotlight tool was not written by Microsoft, but was written by techheads at technet, and is apparently free for all.
I asked the DriverPacks community to improve on it more than once, because it came to my attention it has (a rare few) blind spots.

Why did I not keep using the automated dupe-eliminator we had posted in other scripts?
Well, there are (a few) drivers that have different lists..(when you look at the support in same driver for 2K, XP, 2003, vista, the tally or values found in listed HWIDS are not neccesarily same.)

Nobody said this was easy.
The better we can document conflicts, the better.
I think there is a possibility that people at WHQL labs will look at output from scanners like those..
I told people at Microsoft HQ Belgium about the problem caused by duplicate generics and what grief it causes people doing roll-outs, and was amazed that in the little group we had together there some people actually testified to the usefulness of DriverPacks.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I forgot... thanks for the new tool.

Whatever can be standardised for the better use at DriverPacks, will have a huge impact in our futer.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I think that what I can do as a short term fix is enable command line options for this script.  No switch will be default mode and then /monitors will looks specifically for monitor hwids.  If we come up with some other special case oddballs I can throw in options for those as well.  Finally, there can be /all which will run each regex in succession.  Obviously this isn't the most optimal layout so far as speed of execution is concerned, however it also means that I could probably tighten up the primary regex pattern significantly.

A prepper (or a hardware wilderness in single-image wishful-thinking-head)  looking for speed gain by automated un-duping of ORIGINAL drivers needs a tool.

And you guys are developing it.

There are still enough people using XP roll-outs for us to have that effort work for DriverPacks as is now, and I already hear clamor for filtered vista and 2008. (what the heck.. One of the guys at the MsViP meet was pleased when he heard about DPinst and the possibility it worked on 98pack.. w/i, faik, still available on Third Party DriverPacks.)

Standardised (INF=> CSV) scanner (s) are our future.
How they work out the OS and version is important. VERY much so.
OS caused dupes help us write the INI.
QUITE a few scanners cannot, because the INF does not have the OS info properly SCANNABLE, output PROPER (true) dupefiltered output.

the spotlight did not attempt to remove dupes.

edit for RogueSpear. (and wsnow)
edited above (why real OS aware dupe eliminatition is a kettle of worms.) for warmsnow and roguespear.

The problem are the writers.
DriverPacks, so far, can reduce hands on work by a huge factor, and I think that was done by the fine people at DriverPacks.
Most of it was eyeballing outputs. (sometimes comparing output from one scanner against another output.. Or the TXT of the INF.. when you scan a file and have zero HWID output and you look at the INF and it had a gumption of unquantifiables?.)

I will ask the entire DriverPacks community to help us document known WHQL conflicts in same class drivers, and ask that they pay attention to /Hwid and 'GUI class' / conflicts.

not just pci/hwid.

you look at the INF and it had a gumption of unquantifiables?. wink

Last edited by Jaak (2008-10-24 05:05:33)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

above is now a statement to what confusion can be caused by non-re-read inline edits.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.