Re: [IMPL] Intel Matrix Storage v8.6.0.1007 10/12/2008

Thank you for your advice Overflow. I assumed Windows would benefit from the speed also after it was loaded and I didn't know about the impossibility of simultanious access. Yet I think there is a misunderstanding about my configuraton. With strip size (term used by Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM) I meant the stripe block size. I get to think what you call stripe I call volume. Please let me explain what I had in mind and if you still think it's a bad idea let me know wink

1. Two Samsung 320GB HHD's joined in 1 RAID-0 array. This 1 array is divided into 2 volumes:
a. Volume 1 has a capacity of 46,2GB and a stripe block size of 64k. It just contains Windows (including swap file, excluded the folders "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings"). Everest speed random read is 145.5 MB/s and access time is 9.00 ms. My considerations choosing this: 1. Fast Windows startup; 2. Fast swap file; 3. Fast Windows running. Because of what you wrote I understand 3 is not a big advantage.
b. Volume 2 has a capacity of 550GB and a stripe block size of 128k. It just contains the folder "Program Files". Everest speed random read is 125.5 MB/s and access time is 17.37 ms (same physical disks; big difference in performance hmm) . My considerations choosing this: 1. Fast loading of apps; 2. doesn't reduce the speed of Windows/swap file; 3. enough place for more than one virtual CD/DVD, thus saving a lot of time loading games/levels/...; 4. doesn't contain valuable data, just stuff I can reinstall.

2. 1x Hitachi 320GB HDD (=different physical media) just for data and the folder "Documents and Settings". Everest speed random read is only 63.5 MB/s and access time is 13.52 ms (compared to RAID rather slow sad  Considerations: 1. safer for my data (roughly half the chance of disk failure compared to RAID-0 (besides that: most valuable data will be backupped to portable HDD); 2. easier to reinstall Windows or change the array/volumes since I can leave the data (it is on a different physical disk); 3. The least need for speed (files aren't large).

Please also tell me if the Intel Matrix Storage Manager/Console should be installed by the driverpack, cause I still can't find it???

IDK if the manager is included it could be added easily if not...
check the mass storage INI for a setup call (in the section for your driver... { [I3] or whatever section it is } )
I don't think it is included - if i am right then you could submit a request wink

again...

I think i put documents and settings on the stripe with the data and programs

Raid stripe volume 320+320 = 600+/- D: drive
doc and sett
Prog files
Data
map documents and settings and program files to D: through unattended setup

use the hitachi for OS non raid keep a ghost copy or have a UXPCD ready to go for it.
load os on a small volume on this drive
use the remaining space to create a second partition (read 'volume') FIRST create a static size swapfile (unfragmented) then use the remaining space for backup of data and Docs and Settings in this way your external drive will be a third copy and three copies in the hand is better than two in the bush wink

I am sure someone will disagree but that is what i would do...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

hi
DriverPack MassStorage does not install raid tools.  There are several driver downloads with a folder for raid console setup, but we have apparently nver included those.

for intel, the matrix storage download installs the console.
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

is that somthing we could add to a folder (its own perhaps) then call from the finisher useing +hwids ?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Intel HWID 'VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106' confirmed working with latest test pack (809D): http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.p … topic=5746

Regards,
Galapo.

Thanks Galapo! We make a great team big_smile

JakeLD wrote:

Thanks Galapo! We make a great team big_smile

Glad to be of help!

By the way, I assume the change I made to the latest OfflineSysPrep allows you to use sysprep.inf without having to run SysprepInfEditor beforehand?

Regards,
Galapo.

Indeed, the bug is fixed. Thanks a lot!

OverFlow wrote:

is that somthing we could add to a folder (its own perhaps) then call from the finisher useing +hwids ?

There's no reason I can think of why it wouldn't work.  I've been pulling off some crazy stuff with the DriverPacks Finisher smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Updated to v8.6.0.1007

Damn you were faster than me this time...luck...

Test pack is up

http://driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpack … 32_810F.7z

cool

it's not luck
           he's a Veteran....  wink

JakeLD wrote:

...Test pack is up
link killed by Jaak driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpacks/Nightlies/DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_810F.7z

Hi guys! smile
Im definitely going to try tomorrow with this new file because otherwise the new HP 6930p gives me a blue screen (in AHCI mode) sad
It works for me if I use a clean Win XP SP3 and just drivers from Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.6.0.1007 (in TXT format) and Intel INF Update Utility 9.0.0.1008 (in PNP format) in nLite.
So I suspect that DriverPack MassStorage 8.05 was the one who made the BSoD.. even if I had added manually the drivers from the 2 Intel files, so my guess is that they were overwroted by MassStorage 8.05 later.. tongue

Update Now it works when I use DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_810F.7z!
Thanx for the good work guys! smile

Last edited by coop75 (2008-11-07 09:54:17)

Hi, I tried the November Beta 2 mass storage driver pack on Windows 2000 Pro (which was previously updated with 8.05 pack).
Setup has failed with the message ahci7xx.sys is corrupted while loading storage drivers. (CD was verified after burning).

I need Matrix Storage support, so I will thy this 810F pack as well, using clean source this time.

Wow I'am Happy for this pack .. guy
My NoteBook is HP Compaq CQ 45

Sorry Enlish is Bad tongue

Last edited by bom487 (2008-11-15 06:39:04)

Yeah, I noticed 811B2.7z has a little boo-boo in there...

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9051/msdnpv6.png

I was looking to dual boot my new Acer Extensa 5630z notebook as it came with Vista Home Premium and I wanted XP as an option also. XP would not load without an updated SATA driver  for the Intel chipset. Acer has version 8.2.0.1001 available for download.

When I tried DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_805.7z it didn't help. After poking around I came up with DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_811D.7z and it worked great.

JakeLD will be thrilled.
Thanks.

Jon did a LOT of work
I was out of the loop for a few months.
I know I spoiled you all while I was housebound after surgery. smile
Jon took up the task and learned hard lessons.

They say these are the best.
I want to say I made more mistakes than he ever will.
I think new DP team members have the advantage of reading about mistakes old team members made.

EDIT
Those errors I make and tell you about in fora are usually caught in private tests.
The errors I missed and learned a LOT MORE from were exposed after I put up a testpack that had not been fully tested privately.

There are a good many tests a testpack has to go through, and I think nobody in the team can do all.
Par Example.
I usually did a VM or VPC test (on one or two OS°) and live real metal (for one or two OS°), and that is very limited.
(the ° stands for SP version)
Well, now consider the fact that nobody here has 150 different types of mobo, and that team members can spend as much as ten hours on testing out all variations the GUI offers on ONE mobo. Then do the maths for the variant OS/SP. (the OS SP version can play a role)...
You'll come to understand there are a good many reasons why a team member has to allow testpacks to a select public, or (what we sometimes do) has to throw it to the wide public.

I personally primarily test disc based install when I get the time and have suitable hardware.
Theory has to get empirically tested, and a release should be tested before release, right?
I still like to think disc based install is prime goal, PE and sysprep are benefiting by the same filtering we do for disc based, and the workarounds that get developed for PE and DPinst are made easier by your reports.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I killed links to old testpacks (they gave you a 404 )

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'm glad to hear it's working for you JDill, thanks for reporting.

I test Intel Matrix Storage v8.6.0.1007 integrate with nlite, this driver seem work fine smile

Where can I get this pack?  I want to test it agains the Dell OptiPlex 760.  Q43 (ICH10D) chipset.

I tried downloading the WHQL driver and updating the INF myself but it's still bluescreening.

Send you an email.

Thanks!