Topic: asrock-sata2 issue revisited

Hi all
referring to this thread, marked SOLVED

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1228

How to install the SATA II driver to an existing Win2k installation so that I can clone the disk to a sata2 drive to use as my boot volume?

Please help!

John

Re: asrock-sata2 issue revisited

You have to manually edit your txtsetup.sif/dosnet.inf files to enable this driver and disable another one of which the .sys file is about the same size as the one of the driver you're enabling.

Windows 2000 has a limit on the total size of all .sys files you're loading, and hence it's disabled there. I'd strongly advise to use Windows XP or Server 2003 if you don't want to modify this yourself.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

The installation of win2k is "mature" -it has been my operating system for several years.  Where do I find this file to edit?  And what do I look for?  Is this something I can find / edit in the Registry?

Thank you for replying!

The txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf files can be found in the I386 directory of the Windows 2000 installation files.

Ok great!  I will look at those files - what should I be looking for?  I mean, to add the jahci.sys into the registry and such to make it load that driver first?

Do a search in those files for "jahci", and you'll see that they are commented (i.e. there's a semi-colon in front of those lines). Uncomment them by removing the semi-colons.

But I've not installed the driver yet! I need to get it installed in the first place...
To an existing WIn2k on a SATA II drive that has been running as "IDE" mode from the bios.

Ugh......

What is this 'DriverPacks BASE'? Do I really need it?'.
It's an easy to use GUI to slipstream the DriverPacks into a Windows 2000, XP or Server 2003 source. Currently only the "disc" (CD/DVD) and "multibootDisc" platforms are supported.

Thank you for your patience with me.  I'm not a newbie at all this, but your driver pack is very new to me.

I don't see how you would slipstream into an existing installation - you are looking for a source.  Also, when I tried that last night with my win2k install disk, it did not seem to find the "mass storage" file that I downloaded, even though they were in the same directory - the check boxes were all grey.

So - can I install it by choosing driver-update in device manager and drilling down to the directory?

Remember - this is to ADD the device to an existing WIN2k Install.

Hi BJ

do I know you from VDr?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi BJ

the newest tute ( a fairly recent collaboration by Erik, Martin and I)
http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm

a topic on how to put packs into a existing system
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=960

I read an article on acronis or ghost, where a clone operation like you propose is performed.
I think you have to know about VOLid change tool (sysinternals, at Microsoft)
I'll try find back that article, it is quite interesting.

EDIT:
hmmm, if memory serves me well, it was another one, but it was pretty much like this article
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/co … image.html
--------
you will have to look at the driver that is actually needed for win2000 or win2003, and I hope that what Bâshrat the Sneaky says makes sense to you.

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-03-23 18:56:12)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

Hi BJ

do I know you from VDr?

I don't think so.  My family name is Dutch - grand mother said we're frieslanders - but I'm in USA / Atlanta.  What's VDr?

Thanks   I'll have a look at those articles.  Yes, I can use Ghost or Acronis to clone - in fact I've done it before.  Don't need to change much in those cases because the drive letters won't change if I take the orignial disk out before booting to the new one.  I've done this many times IDE to IDE.  THe problem here is to get the SATA2 driver into the system while in IDE mode, then boot to SATA2 mode!

THanks again.

That tutorial is great.
I already used Nlite many times.  I used it to get a bootable CD that would recognize my SATA also.
So as I see it - my motherboard is exactly as referenced in the other thread I linked - I would use Nlite to make my SP4 disk, and DPbase to put the SATA2 drivers into that.  When done, I could run a repair installation on my Win2k, thus putting the drivers in?

I would really prefer to use the other method though - putting the drivers into the registry and INF file, but that process you wrote in the other linked thread is not real clear to me.

John

JTdoom - any hellp?  I know there is a good 6 hour time difference here...  Thank you for listening!

@bigjohn,
I've done something similar but not with W2K.  This is what I did, maybe it will help you, maybe not.

I cloned my failing IDE drive to another SATA drive using Acronis True Image.
Shutdown PC and disconnected all drives EXCEPT the SATA drive.
Reboot PC with WinXP CD, enter [r] for recovery console.
At prompt, type [fixboot], and [fixmbr]
Eject WinXP CD and reboot.
Presto!

I'm not sure how W2K would react to that, WinXP has generic drivers built-in.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Right.  The problem here is getting the OS to recognize and boot from the SATA.  I have to get the driver INTO the existing win2k registry / inf files somehow... and that is what brought me here.  I have exactly the motherboard listed in the link that I included in my first post.  Now, in that link - marked SOLVED, these fine people were able to slipstream the drivers and get the correct information into the registry for a clean installation:

Hello, i think you should try to manually write that in txtsetup.sif:

PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2360="jahci"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2360&SUBSYS_03601849&REV_00="jahci"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2360&CC_0104="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2361&CC_0104="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&CC_0104="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2365&CC_0104="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2366&CC_0104="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2360&CC_0106="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2361&CC_0106="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&CC_0106="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2365&CC_0106="jraid"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2366&CC_0106="jraid"

Maybe the line for this motherboard could be:

PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2360&SUBSYS_03601849="jahci"

i will try in the next hours

So - they made it work, I just need to insert these - into a running installation - instead of a new install...

Never Mind.

I just installed it from control panel, and it worked -- so far so good, anyway...

hi
on my way home I thought about this one.
It occured to me that the driver would be present in the system since the chip is on that mobo what runs the system.

now that you installed the driver, you can clone, and see what happens when you pull old drive and boot from new one.
good luck.
This entire discussion was "kinda" off topic, for it is not what the DriverPacks and base is normally used for.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Oh, I know that JTdoom - and I appreciate your patience with me.
The driver is NOT part of the system - when the SATAII is in IDE mode Windows loads a "standard IDE controller" driver.

So the trick is to clone from your IDE drive to the SATA II drive (in IDE mode).  Then, boot the new disk (SATA II disk in IDE mode), and open control panel.  In control panel choose to update that standard IDE driver, browse to the SATA II driver downloaded from ASROCK website (not sure if there is a newer one, but this is the one that I used ultimately). 

I actually let windows search that directory.  Be careful because you have to MANUALLY choose the JAHCI driver - windows will default to think the JRAID is the right driver (and from reading these threads, I know THAT would be bad!).

When you reboot the system, hit F2 to enter bios, and switch the SATA II controller from IDE mode to SATAII mode.  Save and Exit.  The system will boot windows now on your SATA II drive.  May require a second reboot here.  Now you're done.

So, this is not the 'driver pack' purpose, but I write this up to help others who may have found this place for the same reasons that I did.

John

I hope that the articles and tips given by the gentlebeings here helped.

smile

thanks for the feedback.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.