Topic: Snappy Driver Installer

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8eca/yfvu6z8sn0lfvyu6g.jpg

Snappy Driver Installer is an application for installing/updating drivers on PCs running Microsoft Windows using driverpacks or included folders with drivers. It can be used to install drivers on newly assembled PCs at places where Internet isn't available. Users can also use the software to keep their drivers up to date.

Main website
http://code.google.com/p/snappy-driver-installer

Features

• Written in C/C++.

• Licensed under GNU GPL v3 (Open source).

• The state of the art in algorithm of finding best matching drivers for any devices.

• Tiny size(less than 400Kb).

• Fast indexing of driverpacks, start up, driver installation.

• Support for installation from both driverpacks and folders at the same time.

• Unattended installation(/autoinstall switch) with PC rebooting when necessary.

• Creation of snapshots of systems so other users could emulate foreign systems.

• Virus warnings informing user that the media with the application compromised.

• Multilingual interface.

• Themes.

Comparison of Snappy Driver Installer(SDI) and Stand Alone Driverpack(SAD)
SAD requires user to put driverpacks in designated folders so that they can be found. SDI doesn’t put these restrictions. User can put driverpacks anywhere in the “drivers” folders or its subfolder. SDI can figure out which drivers are compatible with the current OS without taking driverpack’s location and its filename into account.

SAD can install drivers from unpacked drivers(method 1) or from driverpacks(method 2). SDI can do both methods at the same time unlike SAD which doesn’t allow.

SAD doesn’t create a restore point when run in silent mode. SDI creates a restore point unless –norestorepnt switch is used.

SDI is able to determine whether or not restarting system is needed and can be configured to execute two different commands based on it. See documentation for -finishrb_cmd:<cmd> and -finish_cmd:<cmd> switches. SAD restarts the system even when it’s not required.

SDI can be run completely unattended (-autoinstall –autoclose "-finishrb_cmd:Shutdown.exe -r -t 15" ). If during installation new devices appear(happens with nested devices), SDI will do another pass to make sure it install all drivers.

SAD wastes a lot of time and disk space to extract whole driverpacks. SDI extracts only drivers which are about to be installed. It’s faster because some driverpacks can be skipped if they don’t contain needed drivers, there is no need to process whole driverpacks if all files are found before the end of archive is reached, processing whole archive to reach a file at the end of the archive is still faster than extracting whole archive to a disk.

SAD uses DPInst.exe to install drivers. This tool is doing a poor job in choosing optimal drivers and installing them. DriverPack Solution used to use it and I found out that DPInst was installing the wrong drivers when a more optimal driver was available. I was unable to force DPInst to install the correct driver no matter which switches were used. These drivers had to be installed manually via Device Manager or devcon. Even when DPInst installs the correct driver, it sometimes isn’t installed properly and needs some fixing which is usually done be Finisher. It should be noted that if the same driver is installed via Device Manager, it works well and doesn’t need any manual tinkering.  At some point DriverPack Solution switched to installing drivers via devcon which greatly improved success rate and valid drivers no longer have to be excluded from driverpacks because they cannot be installed via DPInst. SDI doesn’t have to use devcon because it can call the Win32API function directly.

Comparison of Snappy Driver Installer(SDI), DriverPack Sulution(DPS_), Drivers Installer Assistant (DIA).

Algorithm of choosing drivers to install.
DPS_ and DIA are evenly matched. They inspect the same information about drivers and share the same limitations.

SDI extracts more information from inf files and additionally processes cat files. For each device is created a list of compatible drivers pulled from all driverpacks and the list is sorted so that best drivers go to the top of the list. DPS_ and DIA can’t compare drivers when they are in different driverpacks which may result in installing both drivers.

Installation method
DPS_ – devcon (works as well as Device Manager)
DIA – DPInst (has many flaws)
SDI – Win32API (works as well as Device Manager)

Application size
DPS_ - 34 Mb (291 files)
DIA - 44 Mb (189 files)
SDI - 680 Kb (43 files), excluding localization and themes - 390 ??(one file).

Driverpack indexing  time
DPS_ - 280 secs (4:40)
DIA - 123 secs (2:03)
SDI - 19 secs
Note: driverpacks must be repacked so that cat files are bundled with inf files

Application startup time
DPS_ - 10 secs
DIA - 3 secs
SDI – 0.5 secs

Re: Snappy Driver Installer

That looks pretty cool BP. Going to have to take that for a ride.

I don't think it would be a lot of trouble to put the INF and CAT files in the same stream,
I believe we are already putting the INF in a separate stream now..
What command line do you use for that?
-OOPS... BadPointer already answered that in his other post here:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 538#p57538

Are all NT5 and NT6 platforms supported.... or what?

Thanks for stopping by and sharing, it seems pretty awesome from the description.

and thanks for posting a link to us on your page big_smile
- Most of the others don't.

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

I don't think it would be a lot of trouble to put the INF and CAT files in the same stream,
I believe we are already putting the INF in a separate stream now..

Cat files are used to determine which OS are supported by inspecting the value of OSAttr(2:6.1,2:6.2,2:6.3). This information is pretty reliable. SDI displays this value in green or red color depending on whether the driver in question is compatible with the current system.

You can run SDI with -index_hr and have a look at files in the index\txt folder.

OverFlow wrote:

Are all NT5 and NT6 platforms supported.... or what?

Yes.
Minimum supported OS: Windows 2000.

SDI can install both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers. Usually 32-bit applications cannot install 64-bit drivers and this is the reason why there’re usually two versions of each application. However I was able to work around this limitation without having to compile two version of SDI.

OverFlow wrote:

and thanks for posting a link to us on your page big_smile

You can also hover your mouse over the revision number in the left bottom corner of the window to view the about window.

P.S. I would appreciate it if someone would translate SDI into other languages or improve the English localization.

Very cool

please delete account

Last edited by RyperX (2020-08-28 06:43:56)

Try running SDI from FirstLogonCommands.cmd instead of Setupcomplete.cmd.

Last edited by RyperX (2020-08-28 06:43:12)

SDI.bat

if exist "%~dp0_Drivers.cmd" (start "" /d "%~dp0" /b /wait "%~dp0_Drivers.cmd") else (if exist "%~dp0marsinst.exe" start "" /d "%~dp0" /b "%~dp0marsinst.exe")

_Drivers.cmd

@echo off
set wdir=smbb\Drivers\SDI
set filename=SDI_R90.exe
set params=-autoinstall -autoclose -license "-finishrb_cmd:Shutdown.exe -r -t 15"
set fullpath=%wdir%\%filename%

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO DIR %%i:>NUL 2>&1 && SET zz=!zz!%%i 
FOR %%i IN (%zz%) DO IF EXIST %%i:\%fullpath% SET InstallMedia=%%i:

if exist "%InstallMedia%\%fullpath%" start /b "" /d"%InstallMedia%\%wdir%" "%InstallMedia%\%fullpath%" %params%

exit

unattend.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="oobeSystem">
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            <FirstLogonCommands>
                <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                    <CommandLine>"%systemdrive%\SETUP\SCRIPTS\SDI.bat"</CommandLine>
                    <Order>1</Order>
                </SynchronousCommand>
            </FirstLogonCommands>
        </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

EDIT:
Make sure you have both _Drivers.cmd and SDI.bat on the media. You also might need to change the path to SDI(set wdir=smbb\Drivers\SDI).

Last edited by BadPointer (2014-05-21 23:55:46)

Last edited by RyperX (2020-08-28 06:43:06)

RyperX wrote:

Wow big thanks, i will try this smile
Sorry when this are newbie questions, but i am at the moment starting with scripting and sysprep so i need more help then others wink

To be honest, I never used SDI with integrated drivers. I initially designed SDI to install/update drivers when Windows is already installed. However, it works with integrated drivers just fine and some people are already using SDI this way.

So I was merely passing along instructions from someone who knows how it's done.

RyperX wrote:

Edit 2:
Yeah big_smile after i changed systemdrive with the systemroot syntax and the wdir as before described it works  big_smile

Thanks for your help, i´m really happy smile

I'm glad you get it working.

Last edited by BadPointer (2014-05-22 01:33:54)

Nice, thread BadPointer. Keep up the good work big_smile.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

what is the error code after driver installation failed?

sdi always try to install dp nt5 touchpad on nt6 machines.

appreciate this and keep up this great work

josywong wrote:

what is the error code after driver installation failed?

SDI has the same exit code format as DPInst
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … s.85).aspx

You can inspect the log to find out why exactly it failed.

System error codes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … s.85).aspx

7-zip error codes:
http://sevenzip.sourceforge.jp/chm/cmdl … _codes.htm

Installation specific error codes:
http://www.pcauthorities.com/drivers/wi … e-drivers/

josywong wrote:

sdi always try to install dp nt5 touchpad on nt6 machines.

appreciate this and keep up this great work

It means that these drivers are compatible with these machines. If you have your doubts, post your logs.

sdi tried to install (using gui expert default settings)
-nt5 driver on nt6 driver
-x64 hp quick launch pad onto x86 os
shudnt same os, same architecture shud have better match?
nth much to worry since i can easily navigate other driver thru the dropdown menu if there is any driver installation failure

I'd like to see the logs(Expert mode -> Open logs) of the session you believe SDI didn't pick the correct driver.

BTW you can press F8 to see driverpack names.

Very nice!
Looks like SDI is going where I wanted to take SAD but I didn't have the time.
I'm watching...

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

SDI R104

Attempting to run over a network from a NAS. Having some issues with SDI realizing where the drivers are and that it has already indexed. It keeps asking for drivers even after I have verified it should be looking in the right place.

Does SDI need write permissions to install already indexed drivers? Am I doing something wrong?

settings.cfg & log available if needed.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/qRi-6bSxUY_t4ZJ4TTzZb_mfY2Kr8TTYx9fCIGsvH1s/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-2.png

Lord Necron wrote:

Does SDI need write permissions to install already indexed drivers? Am I doing something wrong?

SDI should work over network without any special preparation.

Lord Necron wrote:

settings.cfg & log available if needed.

Yes. It would be helpful.

settings.cfg

"-drp_dir:\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\Drivers" "-index_dir:\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\indexes\SDI" "-output_dir:\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\indexes\SDI\txt" "-data_dir:\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\tools\SDI" "-log_dir:\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\logs" "-finish_cmd:" "-finishrb_cmd:" -filters:1190 "-lang:" "-theme:(default)" -license -preservecfg

Log

{start logging
R104 (26.05.2014)

Settings
  drp_dir='\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\Drivers'
  index_dir='\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\indexes\SDI'
  output_dir='\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\indexes\SDI\txt'
  data_dir='\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\tools\SDI'
  log_dir='\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\logs'
  extractdir=''
  lang=
  theme=(default)
  expertmode=0
  filters=1190
  autoinstall=0
  autoclose=0
  failsafe=0
  delextrainfs=0
  norestorepnt=0
  disableinstall=0

ERROR in mkdir_r(): failed _wmkdir(,2)
ERROR in mkdir_r(): failed _wmkdir(\,13)
ERROR in mkdir_r(): failed _wmkdir(\\192.168.1.10,2)
*** START *** 1,0
ERROR: Not found 'C:\Windows\inf\vboxnetadp.inf'
Matched marker: 'Asus_nb'(asus)
Marker: 'Asus_nb'
{Sync...
}Sync
Driverpacks
       0  \\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\Drivers\
   19019  Drivers\1   22937  Drivers\    7320  Drivers\    3886  Drivers\    2180  Drivers\    6911  Drivers\       0  drivers\    8838  Drivers\      67  Drivers\    3005  Drivers\    2978  Drivers\    6741  Drivers\    1021  Drivers\    2652  Drivers\    7305  Drivers\    1063  Drivers\    5225  Drivers\     752  Drivers\    5394  Drivers\      48  Drivers\    3541  Drivers\    4076  Drivers\    4036  Drivers\     802  Drivers\   27620  Drivers\    5055  Drivers\     422  Drivers\      21  Drivers\      24  Drivers\     801  Drivers\   27457  Drivers\    5241  Drivers\     289  Drivers\      61  Drivers\     757  Drivers\    5018  Drivers\     801  Drivers\     449  Drivers\    7678  Drivers\       9  Drivers\     687  Drivers\   11364  Drivers\    7383  Drivers\       9  Drivers\    9502  Drivers\       0  Drivers\
       0  drivers\
    3555  Drivers\      12  Drivers\    2277  Drivers\    2101  Drivers\    4504  Drivers\    4531  Drivers\      67  Drivers\  Sum: 247492

Windows
  Version:     Windows 7 (6.1.7601)
  PlatformId:  2
  Update:      Service Pack 1
  ServicePack: 1.0
  SuiteMask:   256
  ProductType: 1

Environment
  windir:      C:\Windows\inf\
  temp:        C:\Users\Eagle\AppData\Local\Temp

Motherboard
  Product:     F2A85-V PRO
  Model:       
  Manuf:       ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  cs_Model:    System Product Name
  cs_Manuf:    System manufacturer
  Chassis:     3

Battery
  AC_Status:   Online
  Flags:       9[high][charging]
  Charged:      100

Monitors
  30cmx38cm (19.1in)	1.267 
  30cmx38cm (19.1in)	1.267 
  30cmx38cm (19.1in)	1.267 

Misc
  Type:        Desktop
  Locale:      409
  CPU_Arch:    64-bit

###Had to cut out a big chunk to post.###

Saving indexes...DONE
Saving state in '\\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI\logs\2014_07_24__11_05_43__WOLVERINE_state.snp'...OK
*** FINISH ***

Times
  devicescan:    1435 (0 errors)
  indexes:        920
  sysinfo:        109
  matcher:         16
  startup:       1560 (-920)
  indexsave:      640
  indexprint:       0
  total:        20311
  test:       1323860520
}stop logging

The part that made me question write access...

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/qRi-6bSxUY_t4ZJ4TTzZb_mfY2Kr8TTYx9fCIGsvH1s/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-2.png

run_sdi.bat

net use Z: \\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI
Z:
SDI_R104.exe
net use Z: /d

BadPointer wrote:

run_sdi.bat

net use Z: \\192.168.1.10\Support\Drivers\SDI\SDI
Z:
SDI_R104.exe

So it needs to be mapped. Ok, thank you.

Is there any possibility of that changing?

==============================
Many thanks to BadPointer & to the DriverPacks.net crew for all the hard work & dedication!

Lord Necron wrote:

So it needs to be mapped. Ok, thank you.

Is there any possibility of that changing?

I might make mapping automated at some point.

Oke i wanna try this but dont understand quitwell.

I have a samba server there i have the SDI map with drivers and exe.

but how to let the unattended file open the (program).exe after first logon, and silence? because we got like 100 laptops a week for installing and i really like this to have unattended insatlled

Greetings

Edit;

I tried somthing but i got an error. after my windows was succesful installed he opens this script

run_sdi.bat

net use Z: \\Datastore\installers\SDI
Z:
SDI_R137.exe

Settings.cfg

"-drp_dir:\\Datastore\installers\SDI\Drivers" "-index_dir:\\Datastore\installers\SDI\indexes\SDI" "-output_dir:\\Datastore\installers\SDI\indexes\SDI\txt" "-data_dir:\\Datastore\installers\SDI\tools\SDI" "-log_dir:\\Datastore\installers\SDI\logs" "-extractdir:\\Datastore\installers\SDI\temp" /nogui /autoinstall /autoclose /license

Error log:

{start logging
R137 (16.09.2014)

Settings
  drp_dir='\\Datastore\installers\SDI\Drivers'
  index_dir='\\Datastore\installers\SDI\indexes\SDI'
  output_dir='\\Datastore\installers\SDI\indexes\SDI\txt'
  data_dir='\\Datastore\installers\SDI\tools\SDI'
  log_dir='\\Datastore\installers\SDI\logs'
  extractdir='%systemdrive%\drivetemp'
  lang=
  theme=(default)
  expertmode=0
  filters=1190
  autoinstall=1
  autoclose=1
  failsafe=0
  delextrainfs=0
  checkupdates=0
  norestorepnt=0
  disableinstall=0

ERROR in mkdir_r(): failed _wmkdir(\\Datastore,2)
*** START *** 1,0
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_Creative_14085.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_Conexant_14085.7z
Skip drivers\DP_USB_Intel_14082.7z
Skip drivers\DP_TV_Beholder_14060.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Telephone_14091.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Touchpad_Synaptics_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sounds_Realtek_14085.7z
Skip drivers\DP_xUSB_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sounds_HDMI_14085.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Video_AMD_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Touchpad_Alps_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Video_Intel_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Biometric_14091.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Touchpad_Others_14084.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Modem_14091.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Printer_14084.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Chipset_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Vendor_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_VIA_14072.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_Others_14060.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Touchpad_Elan_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Monitor_14085.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Video_nVIDIA_14091.7z
Skip drivers\DP_LAN_Others_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_CMedia_14073.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Bluetooth_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_CardReader_14085.7z
Skip drivers\DP_WLAN_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_MassStorage_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_LAN_Realtek_14083.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Video_Server_14092.7z
Skip drivers\DP_TV_Aver_14073.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_ADI_14060.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Video_Others_14074.7z
Skip drivers\DP_WebCam_14081.7z
Skip drivers\DP_TV_DVB_14060.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Touchpad_Cypress_14060.7z
Skip drivers\DP_Sound_IDT_14082.7z
Skip drivers\DP_TV_Others_14060.7z
Skip drivers\DP_LAN_Intel_14074.7z
Matched marker: 'Dell_nb'(dell)
Marker: 'Dell_nb'
{Sync...
}Sync
{2Sync
*Driverpacks
       0  \\Datastore\installers\SDI\Drivers\unpacked.7z
   61036  drivers\    1113  drivers\    2406  drivers\0    8099  drivers\0    9229  drivers\.7z
    2656  drivers\    4365  drivers\   47692  drivers\   13468  drivers\   72733  drivers\   18103  drivers\   36379  drivers\   10563  drivers\   30064  drivers\    2254  drivers\     687  drivers\z
    3868  drivers\    4289  drivers\   14826  drivers\2   11159  drivers\   47098  drivers\   12964  drivers\  104665  drivers\    1850  drivers\   28191  drivers\    2476  drivers\    6525  drivers\   33245  drivers\   73390  drivers\    7851  drivers\1     116  drivers\    6027  drivers\    4835  drivers\    2826  drivers\    5090  drivers\    4395  drivers\      70  drivers\   11949  drivers\
   26643  drivers\    2204  drivers\    2059  drivers\  Sum: 739458

Windows
  Version:     Windows 7 (6.1.7601)
  PlatformId:  2
  Update:      Service Pack 1
  ServicePack: 1.0
  SuiteMask:   256
  ProductType: 1

Environment
  windir:      C:\Windows\inf\
  temp:        C:\Users\Eigenaar\AppData\Local\Temp 

Edit: i got it working., just deleted the Settings.cfg and use just the Bat with the auto install option now i dont got an error!

Keep up!

Last edited by raimon93 (2014-09-24 02:15:34)

Weird after the snappy drive installed all the drives and he did a reboot, snappy drive's came up again but this time i can press decline and accept. somthing wrong inside my unattended file? or in the bat file?

First post on this forum or about this topic. Not sure if it needs it's own topic.  If so my apologies for the hijack.

I have SPI version 02 R142.    It is prompting me to update driverpacks.  15 of them and the index.   When I try and do so, nothing happens.   The logs imply that this is done via bittorrent?   If that is so it is likely that my router will be blocking that. 

What ports do I need to open on my router to get this to properly update.   I can't find any information that discusses that.

With thanks,
Nathan Williams
N-Line Computers