Topic: [Done:] Yet Another SPLASH-screen

THis topic is no longer neaded,  and as of late the request is implemented...

Last edited by -I- (2007-05-15 00:41:51)

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

Re: [Done:] Yet Another SPLASH-screen

I have actually made that a couple of weeks ago. It worked in Windows. It did however NOT work (it would simply not execute) during the presetup stage, because some things had not yet loaded. I kept on trying finding work-arounds, without success. But that's because I'm using AutoIt and I cannot tell AutoIt not to load certain dependencies.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

are you using auto-it scripts in your custom exe, -
or can you perhaps help me understand what you are doing
because than i may be able to help you .... to find a way,

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

Yes I used AutoIt, and that was also the reason why it failed to work.

lol - is this actualy the fist - dis-advantage of  the compiled  version against the old  *shell-scripted* method,  with that it was so mutch easier to ad this feature??

disclaimer:

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

Yes I used AutoIt, and that was also the reason why it failed to work.

Could it have something to do with filecompression of the executable ?

I coded myself an AutoIt script to show "decompressing DriverPacks" ... and added compiled executable to PRESETUP.CMD ... but the window was not shown ...
I think that's because PRESETUP.CMD is ran from modified SETUP.EXE which hiddens all processes ran from PRESETUP.CMD.

I modified PRESETUP.CMD with a "for" loop for each DP to decompress ... and in the loop I call "splash.exe %dpname%" with :

If $CmdLine[0] = 1 Then
    Dim $Message, $WaitFor, $Size
    $Size = FileGetSize($CmdLine[1])
    $WaitFor = $Size / 4000
    $Message = "Decompressing DP: " & @CRLF & $CmdLine[1]
    SplashTextOn("",$Message,"700","150","-1","-1",33,"","20","20")
    Sleep($WaitFor)
    SplashOff()
Else
    MsgBox(4096, "Information", "How to use : " & @CRLF & @ScriptName & "  Message_to_show", 5)
EndIf

Last edited by maxximum (2006-10-24 09:13:18)

Please try this:
-add a call to cmd.exe to your presetup.cmd
-now start your compiled AutoIt script from the command line that was started by presetup.cmd
-Do you get an error similar to "This executable could not be executed."? Because that was the error I always got.

If there was an error, I never saw it as nothing was shown.

Looking in MSFN forums, I found the explanation : the fake setup.exe was coded to hide all processes ran from presetup.cmd.
I remember that another fake setup.exe ("for debugging purposes") could be downloaded ... and that particular version was able to show any window ran from presetup.cmd.

Now, I'll try your hack ...

maxximum wrote:

If there was an error, I never saw it as nothing was shown.

Looking in MSFN forums, I found the explanation : the fake setup.exe was coded to hide all processes ran from presetup.cmd.
I remember that another fake setup.exe ("for debugging purposes") could be downloaded ... and that particular version was able to show any window ran from presetup.cmd.

Now, I'll try your hack ...

It's not a hack. It's a method to find out why my program didn't get executed, and it just might help you to prove that your program is not simply hidden by the fake setup either.

Didn't there used to be a debug version of the fake setup.exe?  I used to remember one a long time ago that would show the dos window during driverpack extraction.

Yes it was posted in post #1 of Pyron's now famous thread.  Unfortunately I think that it's been gone for quite some time now sad

Note to self - always keep everything.

I found the original thread ... and C source code smile. Look at this post !

Compiling a new fake setup.exe with "mySHELLEXECUTEINFO.nShow=SW_SHOW;" should work...

Last edited by maxximum (2006-10-26 08:01:07)

I can't believe his links are still working in post #1.  Man, it's been over two years now.  Well I snagged the debug version of the fake setup.exe and this time I'm not losing it.

I've just installed MinGW with GCC .... compiled with "mySHELLEXECUTEINFO.nShow=SW_SHOW;" ... and it works : cmd.exe windows is shown ! smile
That's not user-friendly now ... but using cmdow.exe to hide the window should work ... and I'll try again with my custom splash.exe to see if I can see "decompressing DP XYZ".

Last edited by maxximum (2006-10-27 17:07:11)

maxximum wrote:

I've just installed MinGW with GCC .... compiled with "mySHELLEXECUTEINFO.nShow=SW_SHOW;" ... and it works : cmd.exe windows is shown ! smile
That's not user-friendly now ... but using cmdow.exe to hide the window should work ... and I'll try again with my custom splash.exe to see if I can see "decompressing DP XYZ".

You've got mail... wink

sorry that i didn't actualy repleyed sooner but been rather buissy at work...
but you guys seemed to actualy have made progress ??? -

if i may be saying this. be: be sure to put cmdow  in %cdrom%\OEM\BIN

disclaimer:

cmdow is a bad idea.  A lot of Antivirus programs do not like cmdow.  I suggest using another alternative.

its not realy infected with any type of virus, - and remember that it posted recomendations befor to put it in  %cdrom%  and NOT in system32...

also you wil not have problems with your anti vir, as it will not be installed until after the windows setup process while  cmdow will run befor setup even begins ... probebly even befor your lan drivers ar properly initiated ....

it will therefor not be verry likely that it will ever even be close to a situation thats dangerous to you...

unless you put it in a danger place like system32 no virus could ever take it to hide itself.  (it that is what  you are scared about).

disclaimer:

Hi -I-,

euuh...
cmdow.exe triggers antivirus alerts when it is extracted / during slipstreaming.
DPs_Base no longer uses this file.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

euh... -  i knew that tongue  -

euh no realy i didn't think about that part...

disclaimer:

Any progress on this or any other progress-indicator ?

See this for a really basic splash screen that works...

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 5942#p5942

I never know what to put in a signature.

Ok people I present you with two options.

the first option just uses a bitmap image while extracting and it works

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3477

Slight problem is after install the bitmap remains as the desktop background. Easily fixable. (I replace the .bmp at the end of presetup.cmd)

The second option is use a self extracting 7zip archive. It works awsome and displays a progress bar during extraction.

create the self extracting archive with 7zip. (it will now have a .exe extension not .7z)

use the following code in your presetup.cmd file

FOR %%h IN (%CDDRIVE%\OEM\Drivers\*.exe) DO "%%h" x -y -aoa -o"%SystemDrive%"

each archive will extract with it's own progress bar.

To get rid of the cancel button and add a text line, reshack dialog 500 with this code, compile and save. (you can modify the "Extracting My..." line to your desire)

500 DIALOG 0, 0, 170, 30
STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_CENTER | WS_POPUP
CAPTION "Extracting"
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
FONT 10, "MS Shell Dlg"
{
   CONTROL "Extracting My Hardware Drivers", 99, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 20, 1, 150, 8
   CONTROL "Progress1", 1000, "msctls_progress32", PBS_SMOOTH | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER, 5, 12, 160, 13
}

I use both methods and it looks awsome.

Sure reshacking the files after creating the archives can be a pain if you have many archives but with some batch files and .res files it becomes easy.

cheers all

Last edited by jaws1975 (2006-11-20 09:13:06)

i like your 2nd method as its clean and easy ...  it will not be really hard to change to this,  (as it wil only ad 1 line to the dp base 

copy %package% + custom.sfx driverpack.exe

why didn't we figure this sooner ... :S

disclaimer: