Re: [SLVD] 11.08 Intel ICH10 NT5 8086:1C03 causes STOP 7B

OK, thank you for the detailed report.  That gets us on the right track.
I'll try to scrape something together for you to test shortly.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

OK, try this on for size!
download

mr_smartepants wrote:

OK, try this on for size!
download

Works like a $100 rimjob.. Thanks.
Even though the driver version is still 10.1.0.1008 11/6/2010 as I believe the 11.04 version had. What happened after 11.04? Something removed by accident, or was it just Intel?

Isn't there a way to copy over the HWIDs from 11.04 into new ones? I'm concerned which other HWIDs are missing after 11.04, since I've seen 2 other computers here with the issue a while back.

Last edited by Mr.Tom (2011-09-15 09:31:57)

I hope to test that version on the Toshiba laptops I was having trouble with tomorrow, fingers crossed (I get a lot of distractions, the client being a school!). With all the new hardware in them, it should be a good test.

awnz wrote:

I hope to test that version on the Toshiba laptops I was having trouble with tomorrow, fingers crossed (I get a lot of distractions, the client being a school!). With all the new hardware in them, it should be a good test.

Maybe give 11.04 a try. At least it worked for my HWID.

Thanks again for the excellent details... that is the grease for our wheels big_smile.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Mr.Tom wrote:

What happened after 11.04? Something removed by accident, or was it just Intel?

After dpms 11.04, the Intel RST 10.1 drivers were replaced by the newer (and much stabler) 10.6 drivers.  Not all the HWIDs moved to the new drivers so a few (like yours) were moved to the older v7 series.

mr_smartepants wrote:
Mr.Tom wrote:

What happened after 11.04? Something removed by accident, or was it just Intel?

After dpms 11.04, the Intel RST 10.1 drivers were replaced by the newer (and much stabler) 10.6 drivers.  Not all the HWIDs moved to the new drivers so a few (like yours) were moved to the older v7 series.

So was this something Intel had done? Is there a way you can fix it by extracting all the HWIDs from 10.1 and port them into 10.6? Or would that be too dangerous not knowing if Intel removed them for a reason?

Sure, I can try it if you're willing to test.

mr_smartepants wrote:

Sure, I can try it if you're willing to test.

Well, I suppose I won't be able to test all the HWIDs. hmm I'm just concerned on finding more chipsets that they removed and won't be able to use my updated disc. I'd end up having to revert to the old disc. Not the most efficient use of time. So I think I'll just end up reverting the dpms to 11.04 for maximum compatibility and update everything else.

Well, none of the HWIDs were removed.  We consolidated the drivers and shuffled the supported HWIDs among the remaining drivers. 
Your particular HWID got moved to an older driver, which you noticed doesn't work even though the .inf directly supports it. 
This happens unfortunately because we don't have an arsenal of test machines at our disposal. 
This is why sometimes a newer version may be a step-backwards, but the subsequent version fixes the bugs brought up in a major release. 
Think of it as a "Tick-Tock" cycle.  Major release, then a smaller bug-fix release.
I'll move your HWID from the 10.1 driver to the 10.6.  All you need to do is test on your hardware (AHCI mode) and let us know if it works.  If not, then we'll stick with the 10.1 drivers for that HWID.

OK, here's another pack to test.  This time I removed the 10.1 Intel drivers and moved the HWIDs to the 10.6 which should be much better.
download 11.09.1b2

mr_smartepants wrote:

I'll move your HWID from the 10.1 driver to the 10.6.  All you need to do is test on your hardware (AHCI mode) and let us know if it works.  If not, then we'll stick with the 10.1 drivers for that HWID.

Okay, I can give that a shot for this HWID. Is this test different than the test I just did yesterday using 11091b1?

The discs I create are used for reinstalling customer's computers that need to get out of here in a day or two. So I really don't have the time to experiment. This HWID is from a customer's abandoned system, so there's no hurry. I guess what I could do is create an all updated disc, then when I run into 7B computers I could use a modified 11.04 disc then post the HWIDs for repair later. I just probably won't be able to test the updated pack.

mr_smartepants wrote:

OK, here's another pack to test.  This time I removed the 10.1 Intel drivers and moved the HWIDs to the 10.6 which should be much better.
download 11.09.1b2

Okay, this one installed driver version 7.8.0.1012 9/29/2007. The description is 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI, which is different from the 10.1 version. Was it supposed to be v10.6?

There's also a left over DPsFnshr.exe in the root of the drive. Not sure if something didn't get a chance to finish correctly.

Mr.Tom wrote:

Okay, this one installed driver version 7.8.0.1012 9/29/2007. The description is 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI, which is different from the 10.1 version. Was it supposed to be v10.6?

That's what I expected.  Glad it worked for you.  Seems the 7.8 driver doesn't like your HWID during textmode but is fine post-install.  No matter.  The end result is correct.  10.6 can be forced by manually selecting \D\M\I9\dps9AHCI.inf (which is unsigned).
I'll make sure that fix makes it into the next final release.
Oh, and DriverPacks Finisher will be deleted on the following restart.  That sometimes happens.

mr_smartepants wrote:

That's what I expected.  Glad it worked for you.  Seems the 7.8 driver doesn't like your HWID during textmode but is fine post-install.  No matter.  The end result is correct.
I'll make sure that fix makes it into the next final release.
Oh, and DriverPacks Finisher will be deleted on the following restart.  That sometimes happens.

So this 2007 version is better than the 2010 version in the b1 driver for this HWID?
Okay, the force to 10.6.0.1002 worked okay.

Last edited by Mr.Tom (2011-09-16 09:16:38)

it is neither better nor worse... Windows will ultimately choose the driver it thinks is the best once all is said and done. the trick is to get to the end of the install without crashing.

On many mass storage drivers we will find it is neccessary to select a totally different driver than the one that windows will ultimately install  in order to allow us to actually get through the installation process.

Don't dwell on it too much it takes me months, perhaps years to train people like mr_smartepants to be able to build a mass storage pack that works... In mr_smartepants case the student has become the teacher LOL.

It is EXTREEMELY complicated and much of it doesn't even make sense... It simply is what it is. It takes a very long time to wrap your head around it, and just when you think you have it figured out a new "exception" will rear it's ugly head.

Don't sweat the details ... you report... we fix... it's all about the teamwork big_smile.

If you are interested in helping to update the packs then we will be glad to train you. Be warned large clumps of hair will mysteriously apear in your hands and bruises will appear on your forehead with little memory of what you were banging your head on. tongue

Thanks again

PS the only reason to force the install is if you are having a specific issue that the updated driver will resolve wink  the force installed driver will not be signed ... Which only means that almost any other driver presented to windows will be percived by windows as an update. put another way.. Even though the 10.6 driver is newer it is seen as second rate to any other driver even a much much older one. ANY signed driver will be percieved by windows as an update. Having an unsigned driver installed is not a big deal in the real world, But i personaly wont force install a driver unless ther is a specific reason to do so ... and "because it is newer" is not a valid specific reason big_smile.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

Thanks again

You're welcome. And thanks for the prompt service and replies. I think I'll stay away from modding driver packs. The trick is to slow down my gray hair, not accelerate it. hmm

Sorry I have been so unresponsive myself - dealing with having to move server rooms as well as imaging troubles as well as other stuff.

Anyway, testing the MassStorage 11.09.1b2 DP on the Toshiba Tecra R850 that started this thread in AHCI mode worked a charm!

Testing was with the MassStorage 11.09.1b2 DP only. I'm now getting a DVD with all DriverPacks ready for a final test with all the hardware on this laptop.

Thanks once again. Donation sent smile

Outstanding.  Thanks to you both for working with us to confirm the fixes.
Marking as solved...