Topic: Driver Import into Microsoft SCCM 2007

System Centre Configuration Manager links into Windows deployment system for deploying OS installs to machines.

In SCCM OS Deployment there is a driver import section. This is a prime candidate for Bâshrat the Sneaky driver packs, can I just extract the driver packs to import or do I need to run through a method(1 or 2) before importing the drivers..?

cheers

Mark.

Re: Driver Import into Microsoft SCCM 2007

You may have to extract them first (they can go all into one directory as the sub-dirs of each pack are unique), as I don't think an MS tool supports the 7-zip packing algorithm...
Once extracted, they are available as plain .INFs and .SYSs, I guess that is what the driver import will read.

If you need them CABbed, you could run through Method1, however, Method2 will only rename and copy the 7-ZIPped files over so you virtually gain nothing over taking the DLed packs directly (save the shorter file name wink).

Cheers Helmi.

Just had a go & the extracted packs went in fine. The import is good as it searches in sub directories which is good. Ive seen microsoft stuff before where youve had to specify the entire directory path for each folder.

Yeah, that is how it works for the ususal "Found New Device" dialogue, unless you burn all your drivers to an optical medium (or create an ISO and use Daemon Tools or such) because the latter can be searched as a whole.

When you burn drivers to optical media do you need to use a method(1 or2) or just extract drivers as above..?

Can a Drivers Only CD be created with DriverPacks?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

What OverFlow said, but you can of course also manually decompress the files and put that on a DVD if you do not mind the additional space used.
That way, manual driver installation should become a bit faster because the OS won't have to unCAB them first, however seeking times on an optical medium with a large number of little files aren't the best, either.
It may work better using an ISO file that you simply mount to a virtual drive.

It's just personal preference, at best.

unpacked to dvd. it was quicker to do..lol

Any idea about the Driver ID parameter used in script driven(VBScript) driver import / Driver Package in MS SCCM ? and How to determine the Driver ID of a driver ?

check my signature for the HWID tool
i feel confident that is what you are asking for.

you can also search for DEVCON.exe - the MS command line tool for ID's (and is the engine for the HWID tool)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Integrating the drivers will add all the drivers to the driver store in SCCM and it will create the Driver Package. The only thing you need to do is placing the driver package on the right Distribution Points and use it (if necessary) in the right Tasksequences.

jcksprw123 wrote:

use it (if necessary) in the right Tasksequences.

usually it's not necessary