Topic: how do I format disk

I have download all driver packs for xp, vista and window7. Im trying to make a disk so when I go to device manager and search for drivers they can be found. How do I have to format the disk so they can be read? Can someone give me step by step directions to do so. If I can get these disk working I dont mind donating 20 dollars, because I will use these everyday for my computer business, Thanks

Re: how do I format disk

You could create a Method-1 SAD disc using DriverPacks BASE.  Method 1 for SAD has the added benefit of having the drivers directly read from the disc.  Method 2 would require extraction to the system drive first.
There are several guides on using SAD in the FAQ.
Here's a few to get you started.
[How to] SAD on USB with pre-extracted drivers?
SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) disc - A DriverPacks Drivers Only CD / DVD guide
An updated version of the SAD utility is here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4954 (2nd post).

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

the method(s) mr_smartepants describes is far superior to going to device manager and hitting search... However if you are dead set on doing it that way his recomendations will not work.

the only way to make that work (and it is slow and clunky) is to extract all the drivers to a DVD, then select search removable media.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

the method(s) mr_smartepants describes is far superior to going to device manager and hitting search... However if you are dead set on doing it that way his recomendations will not work.

the only way to make that work (and it is slow and clunky) is to extract all the drivers to a DVD, then select search removable media.

Isn't that what I said? big_smile LOL, I need coffee.

mr_smartepants wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

Isn't that what I said? big_smile LOL, I need coffee.

Well..., not exactly.
While the outcome will be the same, if one insisted on using on Windows-supplied methods for installing/updating drivers, then you need to put the extracted files on an ODD medium.
That way, when choosing "have disc" in the Device Manager, Windows routines will automatically search the whole disc for drivers.
For some reasons unknown, this will not work with a directory on an HDD - hence you'd have to work at least with mounted disc images...

What you said was simply executing SAD directly for the disc.
(Which, of course, needs the DriverPacks to be extracted on said medium, hence the above will also work... It's 2 in 1 basically smile )
As said, the outcome will be the same, however, some purists may prefer Jeff's method for whatever reason (not trusting us, beleiving the MSFT way is better etc...).

Just saying wink

still cant figure it out, if someone can make me 3 disc for xp, vista, windows 7 and mail I will give them 20 dollars and pay through paypal. If you are willing to do so send invoice to downrivercomputers@yahoo.com

I want to use these disk to find drivers through device manager for all 3 os. I own a computer business and this is a gret software to use for everyday business

jb2hot927 wrote:

still cant figure it out

Wow. roll
Quoted from 2nd link above:

for Manual Driver updates From a searchable ODD

1) Extract the packs to a temporary folder

2) Burn the \D folder to a DVD.

I don't think you should be fixing peoples PC's - even geek squad can get this far. except they steal it and put thier name on it.

IF you can't extract files to a folder and burn it to a OD you need to go into another line of work and fast.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I can extract files, thats no problem. I cant format the disk right, because when i go to devcie manager to look for drivers on disc it wont look for them. They have to be in a special format

jb2hot927 wrote:

They have to be in a special format

No they don't.

what exactly (step by step) did you do? [Help us to help you]

We all know that if you burn the EXTRACTED DriverPacks (the packs are in compressed format - like a zip file) to a OD (optical disk) and put them in an ODD (optical disc drive) on the system then it WILL WORK.

IE burn all the extracted packs to a DVD and then put that disc in a DVD reader attached to the system go to device manager and hit update driver and then choose "install from a list or specific location (advanced)" then select "search removable media" it will ABSOLUTELY search the entire DVD for the drivers. (and if you have all the  DriverPacks extracted on the disc then there is a 99.9% probability that the driver will be found)

This is all CLEARLY explained in the posts mr_smartepants linked you too... note: those posts were written by me. I have now reiterated what I originally wrote in those posts in the previous paragraph this time explaining it in simple enough form that a 5 year old could follow.

This windows "search removable media" functionality has been a known working feature of windows for well over a decade... almost two. (STFW)

Again this is PC repair 101... first day of class stuff.
If you can't get this far on your own... then the thought of you repairing PC's is quite frightening. Except to your competition.

What you are asking us to hold your hand with is a completely ridiculous way to go about installing drivers since each driver has to be updated one at a time and requires a lot of clicking around for each one. As opposed to SAD which will update all of them automatically, and it will run from a thumb drive or USB HDD or even a network share, all of which are so much faster than an ODD. SAD is Less work AND faster... Our acronym is intentionally ironic. SAD makes us happy.

PS DriverPacks ONLY supports "Unattended Installations",

since your query is regarding a manual installation it clearly falls outside the scope of our project.
(Your question is regarding an unsupported use / function of our project)
We have been trying very hard to help you anyway.
Try to get up to speed without us having to spoon feed you. If you read our rules then you know that DriverPacks is not now, nor was it in the past, nor will it be in the future a noob friendly site. read the FAQ's and use the search feature of our forum and google.

Read "Read BEFORE you post" linked in my signature. (AKA Rule #0) specifically see item 6) Tell us what you did - Could we try to reproduce your issue ourselves? [help us to help you]