Topic: Help Installing from USB Drive

Hi, you know when you put these driver packs onto a cd/dvd, xp will scan the whole disk when searching for the driver, but this doesnt seem to be the case when looking on a usb drive.

How can i easily install drivers which are stored on a usb drive?

thanks

Re: Help Installing from USB Drive

SAD...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hi, ist SAD meaning something like: There is no way? I would also like to use an 8 Gb USB-Stick fpr this great collection, but got the same problem as am632.

I Mean: I would like to copy the complete collection on an 8 Gb USB Stick, put it in, and XP searches the drivers on this, like it would do on a CD/DVD.

Last edited by rthsw (2010-03-16 18:49:39)

No S.A.D.
Stand
Alone
Drivers disc.

It's an option in DriverPacks BASE to build exactly what you want. wink

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

FAQ... SAD

Index » Frequently Asked Questions » SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) disc
- A DriverPacks Drivers Only CD / DVD guide
- - - by OverFlow - - -
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2264

Per our rules and posting guielines...
Demerit awarded...  - failure to STFF big_smile tongue wink
It's stickied in the "Frequently Asked Questions" for goodness sakes!

PS I guess it might be a good idea to add USB to that threads title, I suppose

PSS the answer was "SAD" not "Sad".
Huge difference, SAD makes us happy! LOL wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Hi Overflow, SAD (excuse for the Sad...) does on an USB-Stick not the same, as Windows (XP) does with an CD/DVD.
I'Ve tried both Methods (1 & 2).

It's an easy compare:

On a CD/DVD i can copy al the expanded drivers, just every Driver-package in his own directory. If XP searches fo ra driver, and found such a Driver-DVD, it wil search in every sub-directory for a inf-package with the correct Vendor/DeviceID. If there is only one hit at the end, XP installs teh Dirver, if there are more Hits, it displays a List of the possible drivers for selection. At the first driver it wil need loooong time, but following drivers will be very fast (depends on RAM), and it works fully automaticaly, and it will not leave any files on the Harddisc (like SAD/BASE does).

With the Stand-alone Disc (SAD) i need to install something onto my harddisc, and it works "only" with the main Driver packages.

Please don't missunderstood me: SAD with BASE is great, id did my donation with a lot of fun i'Ve found this homepage and to honor the Work on this, and i love the possibiblity and the results. And i will use it, because it is usable.

It is just the Handling of the results, and it seems there is no way to copy the DVD-treatment from XP to an USB-Stick, thats all.

So i ordered my first double layer DVD-Roms to burn the Cobra Driver pack (seems to come 100% from this page) unpacked to this and use the DVD like i wanted.

By the way: I've read the FAQ's, did searchings on this page and on Google, and this treat asked exactly my wishes, noting more and nothing less.

DirverPacks.net i s great work, no matter how XP handles Sticks and CD's.

so you created a SAD folder on your USB stick and ran DP_Inst_Tool.cmd and your drivers were not installed?
I find that hard to belive...

It does NOT "only" work with the main DriverPacks...
Add or substitute your own pack if you want...
No it is NOT limited in any way..
Why do you think i wrote a script instead of an executable???
No you don't "install" anything... (it creates a folder)
No you don't have to put it on your HDD.

NO SAD DOES NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE HDD - AT ALL!

If you were to use M1 you may simply add your own driver folders to the existing structure
IE create SAD M1, with only CPU pack to get the folder structure set up correctly.
then just put whatever you want in the \D\ folder... Not real hard to do...
IE  I Couldn't make it any easier... unless I personally visit your house and do it for you. (Need your nose wiped too?)
AND THAT QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED FIFTY TIMES ON THIS FORUM. STFF!!
Don't try to tell me you searched when you can't even find a sticky in the FAQ section of the site.
Nor find info asked and answered dozens of times.
Where does it say anything about ONLY WORKS WITH???

Since we already have every driver known... adding your own should not ever be necessary wink.

Yes you are correct update device driver wizard will not search a USB stick.
IF it did i would not have written SAD wink

Windows actually will search a USB device... IF: you extract everything to your stick... 
and then populate /add the DevPath registry key on the target machine.
(and then of course remove the additional DevPath entries from the registry after you are done)

YES YOU CAN DUPLICATE ODD BEHAVIOR... IT IS JUST A LAME WAY TO GO  
that is why you can't find any info on it, anybody who could do it, would not do that!

How to duplicate ODD (Optical Disc Drive, a DVD or CD ROM device) behavior. Further hand holding... That is "ODD" not "odd" sad
copy the name of every driver folder on the stick to the DevPath Registry entry.
IE Memory stick is E: drive  and drivers are E:\driver1 E:\driver2 etc...
then add %SystemRoot%\Inf;E:\driver1;E:\driver2;etc...

SAD / DP_inst_tool.cmd does all this automatically

The DP_inst_tool.cmd will update all the drivers
instead of having to update each device one at time manually. What a waste of time!
So it's 1000 times better. And the drivers are kept compressed in the packs to save space (about a gig of it), that is unless you do M1.

I really don't see any reason to go to device manager and update devices one at a time.
even if you install a device and the driver is on an ODD you still have to manually go through all the dialogs to tell it to search the removable media. What a PITA
So in that respect DevPath is an upgrade because the drivers will be in the default search path... (yo don't have to go through all the steps to select "Search removable media")

If you insist that it is a good idea to do all his manually, then Either
-Extract all the packs to a DVD
-Or populate the DevPath registry value with all the paths on your USB stick. then they will be included in a default update driver search... then you have to remove the values from your registry key.

Again running DP_inst_tool is easier and it will also run the DriverPacks Finisher which will determine if any control panels or setup programs are required and then run them if so. (10,000 times better)

Cobra? those Russian guys sure like to steal our work and pass it off as their own. sad
Question... Where did you download the Cobra disk to? I bet it was your HDD... So what was the difference again? NONE.
Except our downloads were ten times faster. (BTW you obviously do not know the difference between an installer and self extracting archive.)
If you respond with "well it has a GUI", then I am going to ban you for not visiting the software forum and finding one of our recognized affiliates who do credit us properly in their applications... (failure to STFF)

If U think any of this is harsh then you did not read the rules and posting guidelines (either).
You agreed that you did read an understand them when you signed up http://forum.driverpacks.net/misc.php?action=rules
If i had not already assigned you a demerit would give you a second one.
failure to search for the key word DevPath will get you banned.
If you expect us to spend our time supporting you then you can demonstrate you tried to help yourself before you asked...
Same thing goes for making blatantly false statements about how things work.
(Had i not seen at least a hint that you had tried then i would not have responded at all)

Hi Overflow, at least the Question was simple: ist it possible to make the behavior of XP workin on CD also working on USB.
The Answer is: No. That's all! No need to flame, no need to bann, no need to anything.

Maybe the Answer could be also longer: "No, because of this we did SAD as an Replacement."

Not more, and not less. No need to Argue, no need to bell, no need for Hate and tears. Your Script is great replacement for the Working of XP at standard, but it is an Replacement, because XP just don't do the task by itself.

The SAD and the driverpacket will not be less worth with this. Your Script will not be bad on this. Your and the supporter Work will not be less worth. It is still a great job. It just doesn't fit the question.

Thats all.

By the Way: "Can i use the Driverpack on USB like i would use a CD" isn't in the FAQ.

By the Way 2: Cobra did just pack all of your Driver packs together, so the download is simpler. He (They) never selled this as their own work (so far as i know). In fact i found your page because of this packet. He will not steal your Honor or Money or Time, he just reduce your Transfervolume.

By the Way 3: As you see on the Views, there are other People who get this question. Not just me and not just the creator of this entry.

by the way 4: I read again the Forum rules. I used the Search-the-forum function before and i found a Topic which hits my need 100%. I found no answers to my special question in the FAQ. I did no sexual, rasist or something-like-this-posting. So at which level of this i worked against the forum rules as you blame me?

Again: No need to bite or hate or hit the great bang.

Last edited by rthsw (2010-03-20 01:16:44)

Thanks rthsw, Well said...
However this info IS posted dozens of times and I HATE repeating myself wink
No malice or flame intended, it is simple aggravation.
The reference to the rules and my personal warning preceded that response.
This is not now, nor has it been in the past, a Noob friendly site wink.
You did not use search, you did not read the stickies and you did not read the FAQs or rules.
You are not familiar with the info contained at MSFN.org (rules). (MSFN IS a noob friendly site)
You did not read "how to ask questions the smart way" (rules).

This thread should help others as it has helped you big_smile.
You have added new key words to the search and the response should help to clarify for you and others what does and does not work and how.

Welcome to DriverPacks.

Have a great day

PS ANYTHING is possable... It is just that not everything is worth the effort. wink

PSS Lets get things straight

rthsw wrote:

Hi Overflow, at least the Question was simple: ist it possible to make the behavior of XP workin on CD also working on USB.

THAT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE QUESTION YOU ASKED!

rthsw wrote:

Hi, ist SAD meaning something like: There is no way? I would also like to use an 8 Gb USB-Stick fpr this great collection, but got the same problem as am632.

I Mean: I would like to copy the complete collection on an 8 Gb USB Stick, put it in, and XP searches the drivers on this, like it would do on a CD/DVD.

THE ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS "How can i easily install drivers which are stored on a usb drive?"
(you clearly indicated you had the SAME problem - now you change your tune and say it is not the same problem wink)

Please note "the behavior of XP workin on CD also working on USB" is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT question! and not the one you originally asked big_smile. especially considering the original question of this thread which was How can i easily install drivers which are stored on a usb drive?

rthsw wrote:

By the Way: "Can i use the Driverpack on USB like i would use a CD" isn't in the FAQ.

And it never will be... "Can you force XP to treat a USB stick like an ODD for the windows update driver wizard'  is a stupid question.
Especially when you consider that DriverPacks.net ONLY SUPPORTS UNATTENDED INSTALLS.
(This is not stated in the rules, but it is well known - take a look in Feature Requests - hundreds of times this is stated)
Your question is clearly related to ATTENDED INSTALLATION. WE DON'T SUPPORT ATTENDED INSTALLS!!! PERIOD...
READ THE FREAKING FORUM!  GET LOST PUNK! (smart off again and your banned)

rthsw wrote:

By the Way 2: Cobra did just pack all of your Driver packs together, so the download is simpler. He (They) never selled this as their own work (so far as i know). In fact i found your page because of this packet. He will not steal your Honor or Money or Time, he just reduce your Transfervolume.

The mere fact you found him instead of us makes my point... and wins me the game. touchdown!!!

He failed to credit us that is theft and he is guilty of All of the above. taking credit for our work. how can we receive our Honor if he does not credit us? and potentially our money how do we get a donation if people do not know where the work came from? We have unlimited bandwidth from simple CDN, we want as many downloads as we can get, if they are getting our packs elsewhere then we do not know how much use we really do have, and we want to know. so he is stealing our ability to keep accurate statistics too. He is a thief / pirate... period.