Topic: UBCD4Win v3.50 and VMSCSI driver...

Hi all, congrats on the integration to date between the driverpacks and UBCD4win... job well done.

I've searched a fair bit, and figured it would be just as good to ask "here" as on the UBCD4win forum... particularly since my preference would be to have the driver bundled into the driver pack just "work".

Prior to v3.50 - I would just drop the files I'd long since gotten from a BartPE plug-in page out there in the ether into the Drivers\SCSIAdapter folder, and without any other modifications, booting a virtual machine from an ISO image built from the project (as late as v3.22) would just "work" - and I would see the virtual disks of the guest OS, and I could go ahead and test all my tools, etc. This no longer works, the driver seems to be ignored.

Environment:
- WinXPprosp2 ISO image used as source for PE...
- Various VMware Server v1.05 built guest images...
- VMSCSI driver files as follows:

txtsetup.oem
vmscsi.cat
vmscsi.inf
vmscsi.sys

With v3.50, the vmscsi driver (vmscsi.sy_) seems to be included inb the Bâshrat the Sneaky driverpack, just as it had been with the one included with v3.22 - though I think the driver file is actually a bit 'newer' than in the previous build. But the one included with the Bâshrat the Sneaky driverpack back then never worked out of box back then either, though I didn't really care since I could just drop the old driver files under the traditional drivers sub-folder...

With v3.50, it seems the project is relying entirely on the driverpack now - and dropping the filers in the drivers sub-folder no longer works. I imagine that the original UBCD4win/BartPE driver compilation mechanism was grabbing something in the "vmscsi.inf" file that for whatever reason isn't included in the stuff that the driverpack puts in play... but I have no way of guessing what bits are "missing" or how to reinsert them. Here is the content of that inf file...

;vmscsi.INF
;This file contains the information required to load the driver for the VMware SCSI Controller

; Copyright (c) 2001 - 2004, VMware, Inc.

[version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=SCSIAdapter
ClassGuid={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%VMWARE%
DriverVer=08/17/2005,1.2.0.4
CatalogFile=vmscsi.cat

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %DSKID1%,,,""

[SourceDisksFiles]
; Files for disk VMware SCSI Controller Installation Disk #1 (SCSIAdapter)
vmscsi.sys = 1,,

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12

[Manufacturer]
%VMWARE%=VMware.Mfg

[VMware.Mfg]
%DEVICE%=DDInstall,PCI\VEN_104B&DEV_1040

[DDInstall]
CopyFiles=@vmscsi.sys

[DDInstall.Services]
AddService=vmscsi,0x00000002,Service_Install,EventLog_Install

[Service_Install]
DisplayName=vmscsi
ServiceType=0x01		;KERNEL Driver
StartType=0			;Boot Time
ErrorControl=1			;Display Errors
ServiceBinary=%12%\vmscsi.sys
LoadOrderGroup=SCSI Miniport
AddReg=pnpsafe_pci_addreg
AddReg=os_hba_queue_limit_addreg

[os_hba_queue_limit_addreg]
HKR, "Parameters\Device", "NumberofRequests", %REG_DWORD%, 128

[pnpsafe_pci_addreg]
HKR, "Parameters\PnpInterface", "5", 0x00010001, 0x00000001

[EventLog_Install]
AddReg = EventLog_AddReg

[EventLog_AddReg]
HKR,,EventMessageFile,%REG_EXPAND_SZ%,"%%SystemRoot%%\System32\IoLogMsg.dll"
HKR,,TypesSupported,%REG_DWORD%,7

[strings]
VMWARE="VMware, Inc."
VMSCSI="VMscsi"
DEVICE="VMware SCSI Controller"
DSKID1="VMware SCSI Controller Installation Disk #1 (SCSIAdapter)"
REG_EXPAND_SZ=0x00020000
REG_DWORD=0x00010001

I've tried a few screwball things to re-add my known "working" collection of vmscsi files to the v3.50 project to no avail... So my question is two-fold:

1.)  Is there "something to do" to get the "VMSCSI_SY_" driver included in the driverpack to actually work and load when booting a v3.50 ISO from a VMware guest image?
2.)  Is there some process by which I can keep using the driverpack for everything that IS working, but SEPARATELY add the older vmscsi files that used to work under the Drivers\SCSIAdapter folder in some other manner

Re: UBCD4Win v3.50 and VMSCSI driver...

I am pretty sure the driver included in the packs is for vmware workstation 5... not for vmware server...

the Drivers\SCSIAdapter method should still work...

Are you useing the same version of vmware you were previously useing?

there are some drivers that have issues with "Parameters\PnpInterface", "5", 0x00010001, 0x00000001" entry...
if this is the case cdob and a few others have posted a work around here at DriverPacks for both BartPE and windows.

thanks for reporting and welcome to DriverPacks!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

steje wrote:

- Various VMware Server v1.05 built guest images...

;vmscsi.INF
DriverVer=08/17/2005,1.2.0.4

UBCD4Win v3.50 used vmscsy.sys v1.2.0.6. Strange this driver dosn't work in VMware Server v1.05 ?

steje wrote:

1.)  Is there "something to do" to get the "VMSCSI_SY_" driver included in the driverpack to actually work and load when booting a v3.50 ISO from a VMware guest image?

The "VMSCSI_SY_" 1.2.0.6 driver does work in VMware Player 2.5. There is nothing special to do.
I prefer VMware Player nice config GUI: a ini file smile

steje wrote:

2.)  Is there some process by which I can keep using the driverpack for everything that IS working, but SEPARATELY add the older vmscsi files that used to work under the Drivers\SCSIAdapter folder in some other manner

To clarify: Drivers\SCSIAdapter is supported still.
However mixing with other drivers may get unexpected results.
Therefore disable other mass storage drivers, use Drivers\SCSIAdapter only.

To downgrade one driver and using the driverpack plugin:
Compress vmscsy.sys: makecab.exe vmscsi.sys
Overwrite file UBCD4WinV350\plugin\DriverPacks.net\MassStorage\wnt5\VMSCSI_SY_

@Overflow:

Yep, same version of VMware, and again - using my last 3.22 based ISO still finds the vm disks just fine. So it's something unique to the v3.50 build. Either I'm doing something differently, or have "forgotten" to do something I did at some point to get the Drivers\SCSIAdapter driver add-on to work in 3.22 and older builds... though I can't imagine what that would be. I recall just being able to drop those files into a vmscsi folder under the Drivers\SCSIAdapter directory and be good to go...

@cdob:

Agree... you'd figure that newer version should work. But it never worked in v3.22 and prior either. I've always had to drop the files under Drivers\SCSIAdapter directory to be able to see the vm disks, and this is going back to even earlier builds of VMware server before 1.05 as well.

VMware Player is nice, but I need to create new images routinely, so I'm not just "playing" pre-built guest images...

I'll try makecab on the 1204 driver version that used to work before under the Drivers\SCSIAdapter directory, drop it into the driverpacks folder as you've suggested, and see what happens.

Nope... same result. I'm stumped, and basically can't use 3.50 - if I want to tweak things and test them before burning that is :-(. Bummer... wish I hadn't deleted my 3.22 build folder.

I've different results: VMware Sever 1.0.5 and UBCD4Win 3.50, that's vmscsi.sys 1.2.0.6
Vmscsi.sys does work, the hard disk is available.

Do you use a BusLogic controller or a LSI Logic controller?

Notepad can create a vmx file.

Briefly... I've just found that my UBCD4Win v3.50 build ~when built with Win2003 Server as the source~ allows my vmscsi plugin to work ok.

I've also since updated VMware Server to v2.0.2... so towards cdob's question above (sorry, I all-together missed your last response cdob) not sure if the VMware v1.0.5 environment was a different controller - but with v2.0.2 it is currently a virtual LSI controller in this guest image (which I did a v1.0.5 -> v2.0.2 virtual hardware "upgrade" on).

I'll go back and retry my WinXP based build on my upgraded v2.0.2 guest image to see what happens... but I've probably lost the VMware Server v1.0.5 environment.