Topic: DriverPacks not supressing 'Driver Signature' or 'New Hardware Found'

Just finally created a universal image of Windows XP Professional with DriverPacks intergrated (I LOVE YOU GUYS haha) but upon startup of the various machines I was met with a few different varying senarios:

1. On one machine I was greeted with the 'Continue' this driver doesnt have Windows Logo crap popup - thought DriverPacks was meant to surpass this?
2. On the other two machines I was created with the 'Found New Hardware' popup - I'm thinking if I could suggest possibly somehow surpassing these popups until KTD has finished THEN Microsoft can run the 'Find New Hardware' scan..

Ideas before I roll this Image live within the company?

Re: DriverPacks not supressing 'Driver Signature' or 'New Hardware Found'

We need more info than what you provided.
DPs_BASE.log
DPsFnshr.log
Please read the "Read before you post" link in my signature.
What you've asked is similar to "Why won't my car start".  Impossible to answer without more info. big_smile
Also, KTD is known to cause problems.  We prefer users begin using SAD instead.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

agreed ditch KTD in favor of SAD read the dialog i had with quad damage in the skinlayers thread... ([HOWTO] Using DriverPacks w/ Sysprep)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys, left work now, but will post logs tomorrow.

However, in response to OverFlow, this is what I have done so far to make a Universal Image (and has work on 2 different Compaq's and a Dell) but if your suggesting a better, more optimised way I'm all for it.

1. Extracted appropriate files (BASE, DPsFnshr.ini, DPsFnshr.7Z and ROE) to desired folders.
2. Extracted all desired Driver Packs to C:\D (Apart from MassStorage as they are causing huge issues - see: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4359)
3. Ran C:\DevPath.exe C:\D
4. Added paths to KTD (paths:D\G;D\L etc) and KTDlocation = "%SystemRoot%\Options\Drivers" to DPsFnshr.ini
5. Added UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes and DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore to sysprep.inf
6. Issued the command C:\sysprep\ROE.exe 937
7. Downloaded and ran the Vernalex SysPrep Driver Scanner which added a reg entry for everything in C:\D and C:\Windows\Inf
8. Added the line UpdateUPHAL="ACPIAPIC_MP,%WINDIR%\inf\hal.inf" to sysprep.inf
9. Ran the .bat:

@echo off
cd C:\SYSPREP

echo Enabling image for AMD and Intel processors
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\intelppm" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

echo Running sysprep and shutting down.
sysprep.exe -forceshutdown -mini -reseal

The resulting image was then captured with WDS (Equalling 9GB). If your saying theres a better and easier way to achieve this, PLEASE PLEASE do tell, as I need to get this 'image' live for about 200 machines in the coming weeks.

I looked at this SAD thing you suggested, it seems interesting but I am a little lost - is what your saying; I can SCRAP all what I've done above and JUST extract everything to C:\D (Minus MassStorage) and simply have a scripted called "DP_Install_Tool.cmd" in the \$OEM$\$1\ of my WDS server, with the command DPInst.exe /c /s inside it?

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-11 21:05:39)

Bumping it for justice - I have read the FAQ and completed the below steps:

1. Downloaded DPBase 8.12.5, moved all Driver packs I wanted to C:/DriverPacks/DriverPacks (Except MassStorage as I will be using OfflineSysPrep for this)
2. Ran DPBase, selected S.A.D option, left Browse as C: - selected all the Driver Packs, selected Method 2, enabled QSC, selected nVidia and ATI Control Panels, and hit SlipStream.

Now I'm alittle lost as to what I should be doing before running SysPrep.

From what I've covered - I should now remove 'DriverPacks' just leaving DriverPacks.net in the base of C: - then I need to extract deploy.cab to C:/SysPrep - run the SetupMgr and create my sysprep.inf with dp_inst_tool.cmd being called under 'runonce'.

I then need to run 'OfflineSysPrep' to inject my MassStorage drivers, restart into the system and then 'SysPrep' the system, uploading to WDS once its done?

Cheers

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-13 23:16:53)

I am not sure about sysprep proceedure with OLSP... I defer to the crazy sysprepers of our forum wink tongue

But regarding the driver installation...

1) You simply call sysprep.inf with dp_inst_tool.cmd being called under 'runonce'.
    SAD M2 is better than extracting and running devpath on C:\D because the drivers remain archived.
    This saves you around 1 gig on your image

Notes: Your other method would work as long as you don't EVER use KTD.
    Simply running devpath on the c:\d\ folder was all that was needed.
    KTD was killing you. As previously stated do not run makepnf...
    KTD uses makepnf... Therefore you failed big_smile. (Because you inadvertently used makepnf)

or

2) You could combine devpath and dp install tool methods together.
    Create a SAD M1 folder
     -  Be sure to enable QSC so you won't have to cab compress a pack more than once. wink
        QSC (Quick Stream Cache) keeps a copy of the cabbed drivers for M1 slipstreams.
           (The first run is slow because they are cabbed with makecab.exe, after the first run they are simply copied.) 
    Copy everything from the driverpacks.net M1 folder to c:\
    Run devpath on C:\D
    Call dp_inst_tool.cmd under 'runonce'

this Hybrid method both makes the drivers available to minisetup and runs the dpinst.exe and the DriverPacks Finisher. Effectively making two passes on the machine to ensure drivers are fully installed. Some drivers require two passes. IE you cant install a HDA device unless the HDA bus driver is installed first. chipset drivers have to be installed before drivers that rely on chipset etc...

In many cases dpinst.exe works fine but some failures have been reported in the forum.

Please note that even though M1 will take a long time to run on your first time it will save you a huge amount of space over simply extracting them.

Definately use the mass storage pack! (as long as you don't use makepnf or KTD it will not crash!)

I hope that helps

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Thanks once again for your in-depth replies Overflow - I will be sure to write an up-to-date guide as soon as I've finished my adventures so as others can benifit from our work.

As you have advised, went with Option 2 and just waiting for everything to compress etc now - once that is done, I will reconfigure my sysprep.inf to include the call to dp_inst_tool.cmd.

Should dp_inst_tool.cmd be called BEFORE or AFTER -minisetup? For example, can it be under GuiRunOnce or must it be called from i386/cmdlines.txt

Other then that I will then move everything from driverpacks.net to C: and run devpath. (I don't need to run ROE.exe 937 or anything like that with this SAD method? Also can I delete DriverPacks from C: - its just where I extracted DPBase to orignally?)

Thats it then correct? I should be able to simply run sysprep.exe -minisetup -reseal -forceshutdown and volia done? '

SIDENOTE: You mention that I SHOULD include MassStorage pack? I thought you mentioned it advisiable to use OfflineSysPrep for injecting MassStorage drivers?
If yes, I would still need to run sysprep.exe -bmsd and HWID program?

SIDENOTE 2: I've used Vernalexs' SysPrep Driver Scanner in the past (basically writes a reg entry to avoid the limit with OemPnPDriversPath) should/do I need to run this with the above method or will it break things?

Cheers

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-15 23:03:19)

Well after having great feedback from Galapo on the 911 forums concerning OfflineSysPrep I went ahead and did as he advised, but having some issues, after I:

Upload image to WDS, boot into Network PXE, Loads WDS - Grabs and installs Image from WDS.

Reboots to continue as is all normal, get to the "Please wait for Windows to setup..." screen, gets past that, start to see Black Background with Mouse Pointer then PC just Shutdown.....

The steps taken, I'll summarise the thread over at 911:

1. Run DP_Base using the S.A.D option (Using Method 2 you suggested above), move ALL files created under DriverPacks.net to C:
2. Extracted and ran 'DevPath' to C: \D
3. Ran 'sysprep.exe -reseal -forceshutdown' (had a previously created sysprep.inf with [SysprepMassStorage] populated by -bmsd)
4. Sysprep runs, shutdowns VMWare - I boot into LiveXP with OfflineSysPrep script installed
5. Run OfflineSysPrep on the offline VMWare HDD, using Administrator Profile and Automatic HAL detection on First Boot.
6. Select the 'Mini', 'PnP' and set to Quit - Hit Reseal and it does its thing.
7. Shutdown LiveXP
8. Reboot VMWare into PXE and capature and upload to my WDS
9. Then the above error occurs... well not really an error, just Shutdown.

Please help oh mighty ones tongue

I belive you meant M1 not M2... devpath has no effect on M2 since the drivers are archived wink

RE:
ROE.exe 937

Quad and you and many other people are aften confused about what this is...

The DriverPacks Finisher DOES NOT install drivers... let me repeat that the DriverPacks Finsher DOES NOT INSTALL DRIVERS!

the finisher determines if any installed devices need to have installers run...
It uses the info in each packs INI to determine if any of these cases exist.
once the exceptions are processed (cases) it deletes the /D/ folder, devpath, the INI's, and itself (after a reboot).

The finisher does as its name implies... it concludes the driver installation and cleans up the mess...

PS yes include the Mass Pack just don't check "Text Mode"

Jack_F wrote:

5. Run OfflineSysPrep on the offline VMWare HDD, using Administrator Profile and Automatic HAL detection on First Boot.

You don't state whether you actually injected the DriverPacks mass storage drivers. Did you?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2277/20100217150910.png

Regards,
Galapo.

OverFlow wrote:

I belive you meant M1 not M2... devpath has no effect on M2 since the drivers are archived wink

RE:
ROE.exe 937

The DriverPacks Finisher DOES NOT install drivers... let me repeat that the DriverPacks Finsher DOES NOT INSTALL DRIVERS!

once the exceptions are processed (cases) it deletes the /D/ folder, devpath, the INI's, and itself (after a reboot).

The finisher does as its name implies... it concludes the driver installation and cleans up the mess...

From your previous post, I read it as you were suggesting M2 as it would run through twice, resulting in better driver installations. If I have that muddled, and you are suggesting M1 please let me know and I will re-do the Sysprep.

Thank you for explaining ROE.exe 937 but you didn't quiet answer if it still needs to be run PRIOR to sysprep'ing the system - since I'm going to try M1 now I wont need to run DevPath but will I need to run ROE.exe 937?

I had 'Text Mode' selected, I'm re-doing my first Sysprep now without it.

Galapo wrote:
Jack_F wrote:

You don't state whether you actually injected the DriverPacks mass storage drivers. Did you?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2277 … 150910.png

Regards,
Galapo.

I did not lol, that could explain some things - no one told me what to select there so I left it all blank - From both this thread and 911 - on my 2nd Sysprep within LiveXP I will be selecting:

"Delete all users DRM files"
"Install all DriverPacks non-IDE Mass Storage Device(s)"

Is that all I should/need to be selecting to achieve what I want between both DriverPacks, OfflineSysPrep and my ULTIMATE GOAL of total annihilation- aka Universal image???

Cheers

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-17 17:08:17)

Jack_F wrote:

Is that all I should/need to be selecting to achieve what I want between both DriverPacks, OfflineSysPrep and my ULTIMATE GOAL of total annihilation- aka Universal image???

These are the ones I'd be using:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5651/20100217154729.png

Regards,
Galapo.

Jack_F wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

RE:
ROE.exe 937

From your previous post, I read it as you were suggesting M2 as it would run through twice, resulting in better driver installations. If I have that muddled, and you are suggesting M1 please let me know and I will re-do the Sysprep.

Thank you for explaining ROE.exe 937 but you didn't quiet answer if it still needs to be run PRIOR to sysprep'ing the system - since I'm going to try M2 now I wont need to run DevPath but will I need to run ROE.exe 937?

I had 'Text Mode' selected, I'm re-doing my first Sysprep now without it.

An update - here are the 2 file structures after using S.A.D M2, QSC Enabled - The first is my C: and the 2nd is inside DriverPacks.net - do I know simply copy everything inside DriverPacks.net into C: (Deleting DriverPacks.net empty folder) and adding a line in my sysprep.inf under [GUIRunOnce] to DP_Install_Tool.cmd then sysprep the system?

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4874/dp1.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6929/dp2i.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-18 11:17:04)

Bump - just at work waiting anxiously... Should I be leaving DriverPacks.net or moving everything into C:...

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-18 16:13:24)

I recomended M1... yes! and cautioned you that you SHOULD use QSC this will keep a copy of the Cabbed drivers so you will not have to do this very consuming process more than once wink. (unless you add or update a pack, even then it will only have to process the new DriverPack not any previously used DriverPacks)
PS make sure DriverPacks BASE is not run on the target machine you will want Base (with the QSC) on your personal workstation wink the point of the Quick Stream Cache is to speed up the second, third, forth, ... runs for M1 (Say you update a pack)

once you have a M1 source (created on your workstation) copy all the files from DriverPacks.net to c:\ (on the target) and remove the now empty DriverPacks.net folder.

Please DO run devpath on C:\D (this adds all the drivers into the windows search path, a Registry entry)

Call dp_inst_tool however you like... The tool will call the DriverPacks Finisher for you!
Note: ROE 937
- Simply adds a call to the DriverPacks Finisher
- The call is added to the local registry RunOnceEx (ROE) section so it is called the next time the machine boots wink)
- If you call the DP_Inst_tool then ROE 937 would be redundant tongue (since it calls the DriverPacks Finisher and the tool also calls the DriverPacks Finisher)

The finisher removes the devpath entry from the registry and deletes all DriverPacks related files, and removes itself by adding a ROE entry to be executed on the next boot

Does that help?

OverFlow wrote:

I recomended M1... yes! and cautioned you that you SHOULD use QSC this will keep a copy of the Cabbed drivers so you will not have to do this very consuming process more than once wink. (unless you add or update a pack, even then it will only have to process the new DriverPack not any previously used DriverPacks)
PS make sure DriverPacks BASE is not run on the target machine you will want Base (with the QSC) on your personal workstation wink

once you have a M1 source (created on your workstation) copy all the files from DriverPacks.net to c:\ (on the target) and remove the now empty DriverPacks.net folder.

Please DO run devpath on C:\D (this adds all the drivers into the windows search path)

Call dp_inst_tool however you like... The tool will call the DriverPacks Finisher for you!
Note: ROE 937
- Simply adds a call to the DriverPacks Finisher
- The call is added to the local registry RunOnceEx (ROE) section so it is called the next time the machine boots wink)

The finisher removes the devpath entry from the registry and deletes all DriverPacks related files, and removes itself by adding a ROE entry to be executed on the next boot

Does that help?

Ah I love you smile haha. Thats sum everything up very nicely, once I get into work tomorrow I'll go ahead and do as you state - out of interest though, if I was wanting to call dp_inst_tool from my Sysprep, an acceptable entry in sysprep,inf would look like the below correct?

[GuiRunOnce]
Command0 = "C:\dp_inst_tool.cmd"

One last thing (I hope lol) - Galapo mentions that I should be doing the following as I want to include -bmsd within my Sysprep.inf and OfflineSysPrep doesn't allow that:

1. Set up DriverPacks, sysprep'ing with '-reseal -forceshutdown', rebooting the machine and letting DriverPacks install;
2. THEN booting into LiveXP, running OfflineSysPrep, injecting MassStorage drivers and sysprep'ing the machine for a second time with '-reseal -pnp -mini';
3. Then image, upload to WDS and away I go.

Does that seem correct? My thoughts are that if I let DriverPacks install (after the 1st Sysprep) that the system I will Image in the end is then ONLY setup for that type Hardware? Wouldn't it be better to only Sysprep once or Sysprep twice but don't let the machine bootup before an Image is taken? I'm a little confused on this last part.

Would the follow work/be a better option:

1. Set up DriverPacks, sysprep with '-reseal -forceshutdown'; [Meaning that I can use a NEW sysprep.inf with OfflineSysPrep so as not to have -bmsd content]
2. Boot into LiveXP, running OfflineSysPrep, injecting MassStorage drivers and sysprep the machine with '-reseal -pnp -mini';

I'm just trying to think, if I do that, how do I get my -bmsd MassStorage drivers included as OfflineSysPrep doesn't allow that....?

Cheers

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-18 22:51:24)

1. Set up DriverPacks, sysprep with '-reseal -forceshutdown'; [Meaning that I can use a NEW sysprep.inf with OfflineSysPrep so as not to have -bmsd content]
2. Boot into LiveXP, running OfflineSysPrep, injecting MassStorage drivers and sysprep the machine with '-reseal -pnp -mini';

I'm just trying to think, if I do that, how do I get my -bmsd MassStorage drivers included as OfflineSysPrep doesn't allow that....?

Yes!

you don't need -bmsd... simply OLSP... try it, you will like it.

Native drivers should / will be detected automaticaly.
The trick is setting the local HDD type to standard IDE and i think OLSP does that for you wink.

PS yes NEW sysprep.inf with call to dp_inst_tool and hal stuff...  wink

OverFlow wrote:

Yes!

you don't need -bmsd... simply OLSP... try it, you will like it.

Native drivers should / will be detected automaticaly.
The trick is setting the local HDD type to standard IDE and i think OLSP does that for you wink.

PS yes NEW sysprep.inf with call to dp_inst_tool and hal stuff...  wink

Followed you're instructions to the letter Overflow BUT once I deploy the image to the Workstation, it copys files, expands them, installs features, then does its reboot. I see the Windows XP logo and loading bar, then a black screen appears with the mouse hand THEN IT JUST POWERS OFF... no reason.

When I boot back I have the error: ""The System is not fully installed. Please run setup again"

HELP

Last edited by Jack_F (2010-02-19 16:33:42)