Topic: New Intel Rapid Storage Technology - does it change Mass Storage?

Intel Matrix Storage Manager (Intel_MSM) has been replaced by Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel_RST) - information I just happened to run across yesterday 30Jan10.

Go here for instruction on integrating Intel's SATA AHCI: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=107504 which led me to check things out;

and here: http://www.station-drivers.com/ for the drivers - listed under Intel.

I asked at Rogue Spear if this new information requires an update to RogueSpear's IaStor MassStorage Addon V8.5.0.1032 - which was last updated on 20081011.

Question: if the AHCI drivers are incorporated into the XP CD does this mean the user could boot from it and the drivers installed by XP would be either IDE or AHCI - depending on the BIOS selection? Anyone know?

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

Re: New Intel Rapid Storage Technology - does it change Mass Storage?

We don't use drivers from Station drivers they Leak drivers pre-release. We consider them betas since they are not officially released yet. Piracy might be another way of looking at it wink. We do like station drivers and keep an eye on them but we don't incorperate any of thier stuff in the DriverPacks. Since they are not officialy released... yet. sometimes you may find a station driver in a nightly but NEVER in a final release from us.

If you can't download it directly from Intel we won't add it big_smile! But we do like to be aware of whats next so as I said we do keep and eye on them...

Thanks for reporting! 

We don't need instructions on how to install drivers we have been doing it longer and better than anyone for over six years wink.
Silly boy.

RogueSpear has converted to linux and has abandoned windows, he keeps his forum open as a courtesy but no longer actively  contributes to the community, I don't expect you to get any help on that one wink.

Yes. If AHCI compatable drivers are added with DriverPacks then windows will boot from them.

Many of the drivers already included in the DriverPacks are AHCI compliant AND work just fine now. big_smile tongue

Some of the AHCI issues have to do with load order...
IE the HWID is the same for both modes but the non AHCI driver is listed first. First come first serve wink. Sometimes changing the order of the drivers in the mass ini is all that is required big_smile. Other times we can change the HWIDs listed in the mass ini.

There is no possable way to tell how to fix your issue UNLESS you provide the HWIDs of the offending machine. or at least the HWIDs of the mass storage controller smile. Please provide the full output of the RAID section of the HWIDs tool, and indicate which controller you are connected to if there is more than one. (How long have you been here wink tongue smile lol.)

There is also another known issue, mostly with Nvidia chipsets.
I could probably get a few more drivers to work if I were to mod a few windows files (some registry entries added to the hal) the instructions are on here - posted by both cdob and Galapo. The short story is: The ONLY drivers that do not work are PnP only mode drivers, (has nothing at all to do with AHCI mode, although an affected driver could be an AHCI mode driver) they simply don't support legacy mode (IE text mode). If they don't support text mode then you can't find them from text mode setup. This is a problem with the driver not the integration of the driver. An easy way to tell is to search the drivers inf for "Parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1", if it contains that line then the following will / may be helpful.

Search the forum for "value = Parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1"

here is a good example --> http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 158#p32158

Notice they modify the setupreg.hiv in that example with regedit...
That would be an acceptable fix IF I had proof of concept wink.
It would be better if they just had working f6 drivers for us to add wink

As Far As I Know there are only one or two of these drivers (It is a very rare case) At least one of them Is Nvidia chipset.

I have been waiting for some time for this problem to show itself to be a real problem, but it does not.
IE a list of affected drivers, and proof that the registry entry does fix it, and whether or not it also affects Win 2k3.

PS if you find working F6 drivers for failed installs simply request them with the HWIDs of the device we will gladly add them wink
We always add tested known good drivers from OEM or Manufacturer sites... (station drivers does not count)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

ChiefZeke wrote:

Question: if the AHCI drivers are incorporated into the XP CD does this mean the user could boot from it and the drivers installed by XP would be either IDE or AHCI - depending on the BIOS selection? Anyone know?

When you switch from IDE to AHCI mode (and vice versa) in the BIOS, different HWIDs will be applied to the mass storage controller, meaning different drivers, IDE or AHCI respectively, will be installed based on these HWIDs.
This is also the reason why Windows will BSOD on you when you do to switch after you have installed - it simply will no longer find the proper driver for it since the one previously installed has a different HWID listed and is then no longer recognized as being proper.
The trick would be to install the other drivers prior to making the switch in the BIOS, then hoping for the OS to redetect drivers.
On Vista and 7 it only requires a minor regedit as can be found in MSFT's knowledge base; as for XP, it's quite harder to achive.
Hence, it's always best to ensure AHCI is already set prior to installation, then using an XPCD with slipstreamed TM drivers to install (Driverpacks achieves just that wink).

Bios updates will do that to you as well.  Switch a ACHI storage setup to a default IDE.

Really, REALLY messed me up until I figured out that behavor.

OverFlow wrote:

There is also another known issue, mostly with Nvidia chipsets.
I could probably get a few more drivers to work if I were to mod a few windows files (some registry entries added to the hal) the instructions are on here - posted by both cdob and Galapo. The short story is: The ONLY drivers that do not work are PnP only mode drivers, (has nothing at all to do with AHCI mode, although an affected driver could be an AHCI mode driver) they simply don't support legacy mode (IE text mode). If they don't support text mode then you can't find them from text mode setup. This is a problem with the driver not the integration of the driver. An easy way to tell is to search the drivers inf for "Parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1", if it contains that line then the following will / may be helpful.

Search the forum for "value = Parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1"

here is a good example --> http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 158#p32158

Hi OverFlow,

Not sure exactly what you mean by having to modify some windows files. For OfflineSysPrep and also for mass storage drivers in LiveXP, I took cdob's advice and added the PnpInterface entry for drivers which reference scsiport.sys or storport.sys. No modification of files is necessary, just do a search within the driver file for scsiport.sys and storport.sys text strings. Examples:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php? … p;p=153143
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 358#p30358

Regards,
Galapo

Well your situation is slightly different... you have a registry.

With DriverPacks BASE we do not yet have a registry, It has not been created yet. So i can't add registry entries Directly. Since there is not one created yet. Registry entries can be added from txtsetup.sif but i am not sure exactly how to do that? the other method is to add them to   setupreg.hiv suggested by cdob. It would be easier for me to add to txtsetup.sif but again i am not exactly sure how that would be accomplished. Further I am uncertain if i need other entries too or just the one line.

You are at an advantage with sysprep since you can simply add the registry entries directly wink.

Jeff

PS i have never understood what the difference was between BartPE and LiveXP / nativeEx? can you enlighten me?
Are they simply two different peoples attempt at creating a PE environment from XP?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

newsposter wrote:

Bios updates will do that to you as well.  Switch a ACHI storage setup to a default IDE.

That's why it's considered good practice to reload Optimized Defaults after a BIOS update (to reset everything) and reapply your (hopefully noted-down) personal settings.

OverFlow wrote:

Some of the AHCI issues have to do with load order...
IE the HWID is the same for both modes but the non AHCI driver is listed first. First come first serve wink. Sometimes changing the order of the drivers in the mass ini is all that is required big_smile. Other times we can change the HWIDs listed in the mass ini.

There is no possable way to tell how to fix your issue UNLESS you provide the HWIDs of the offending machine. or at least the HWIDs of the mass storage controller smile. Please provide the full output of the RAID section of the HWIDs tool, and indicate which controller you are connected to if there is more than one. (How long have you been here wink tongue smile lol.)

My earlier questions and comments about AHCI and a posting of HWIDS can be found here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4029

Also, copies I have saved here for my Win7 installation are from before the release of Win7 final. I can rerun the Save HWIDS program again on the final install of Win7 32-bit and 64-bit AHCI install if they are needed - not possible for IDE now.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

OverFlow wrote:

Well your situation is slightly different... you have a registry.

Yes, very true!

It would be easier for me to add to txtsetup.sif but again i am not exactly sure how that would be accomplished. Further I am uncertain if i need other entries too or just the one line.

As far as I'm aware, just this entry is needed. Take a look here for a way of adding registry entries by INF through txtsetup.sif: http://gosh.msfn.org/infresh.htm.

PS i have never understood what the difference was between BartPE and LiveXP / nativeEx? can you enlighten me?
Are they simply two different peoples attempt at creating a PE environment from XP?

Yes, that's correct: BartPE and LiveXP/nativeEx are basically different attempts at creating a PE from XP or 2k3. However, they start with different philosophies: BartPE adds in large amounts of base files etc. while LiveXP/nativeEx only adds what is absolutely necessary for those build options which are selected. For LiveXP/nativeEx, much file registration etc. is done at build-time, dramatically reducing boot time. I get a booted explorer shell with hotplug support just as quickly as nu2menu but without the slow wait with XPE, all in under the build size of a default BartPE (I also remember days of autobuild post-processing to try to cut out what was unnecessary).

Regards,
Galapo.

OverFlow wrote:

Registry entries can be added from txtsetup.sif

txtsetup.sif

[HiveInfs.Fresh]
AddReg = hivedef.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivesys.inf,AddReg

Setup process hivesys.inf at end of textmode and integrate settings to the registry.
Next setup reboot the machine.

However the machine has to boot first. If booting fails, setup won't reach end of textmode.
Adding registry settings to txtsetup.sif only, won't resolve nvgts.sys behaviour.

The setup loader setupldr.bin does read certain files.
Setup read the file setupreg.hiv and map this to HKLM\SYSTEM registry.
As indicated already setup process hivesys.inf at end of textmode and integrate settings to the registry.
At end of textmode setup, the registry contains both: setupreg.hiv and hive*.inf settings.
This settings are saved to %sytemroot%\system32\config\system.
Therefore at first reboot: settings from setupreg.hiv are available still.

NT to XP windows installation, WinPE, BartPE and LiveXP / nativeEx use setupreg.hiv.
Reg.exe can edit this file. Reg.exe is included in XP, but is missing in 2000.
The XP reg.exe works in windows 2000.
The edited setupreg.hiv file works from CD, USB or RAM loaded image.
This approach is tested thoroughly and used already.

To confuse you, there is another approach: don't edit setupreg.hiv but add a file migrate.inf
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 915#p22915
Curtain settings can be added that way.
Most likely requiere are a migrate.inf and a edited hivesys.inf.
Setup read the file migrate.inf early, before driver loading.
This hasn't been tested at nvgst.sys still.

Overalll I prefer a edited setupreg.hiv, because this is the generic installation approach.

so setupreg.hiv is most versatile and works at text mode and is tested known good solution ... if that is correct then i think i got it!