Re: [HOWTO] Using DriverPacks w/ Sysprep (Updated for BASE 7.04)

I'm not to explain site admin.Please ,my problem tell national language turkish site admin available.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2264

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I am having trouble getting an image to even caputre with WDS but that'll be in another thread later.

Is the how-to guide updated with all the corrections talked about throughout the thread? Is the whole process considered "up-to-date"?

The thread must be followed and absorbed... it has a couple of sister posts that are stickied too...

That info is as complete a guide as has been submitted to date...
There is a Sysprep version of BASE released to the testing team ATM...
The Guide will be updated after the new platforms support is released in this forum and as a news item on the home page.

I will sumarize for you....

The best plan is
use Galepos offline sysprep for our mass storage pack
then use the DriverPacks BASE SAD feature with Method 2, calling dp_inst_tool.cmd from runonce or guirunonce reg entry added when the machine is resealed.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

First I just want to thank you for taking the time to read my post and help me out.  My main issue is in Windows Deployment Services when I try to capture an image it shows no drives to be captured. I believe it does not have th driver for the SCSI Virtual drive. Shift + F10 shows no C: drive, hence my reasoning. I have now since been trying to fix it, now trying method below.

OverFlow wrote:

The best plan is
use Galepos offline sysprep for our mass storage pack
then use the DriverPacks BASE SAD feature with Method 2, calling dp_inst_tool.cmd from runonce or guirunonce reg entry added when the machine is resealed.

It was a little difficult but let me tell you what I have done so far....
I downloaded the offline sysprep and loaded up my basemachine's hard drive on another virtual so I could edit it.

I had trouble finding a guide since the sticky post from Galepos simply talks about him releasing it.

I extracted the driver pack mass storage drivers to the root of offline sysprep. Ran offline sysprep. Pointed it to the Windows OS on the attached drive. I didnt tell it to sysprep, instead I clicked a few check marks to do some fixes. I then told it to run. What the heck did it do... I have no idea. I'm not sure if or how it even injected the drivers. If it did inject them, why would I even DriverPacks BASE SAD feature?

Here is the log from offline sysprep.

2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> DriverPacks BASE 8.12.5 initialized.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> Host environment: WIN_XP Service Pack 3 on X86 CPU.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> Created temporary working directory.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> Imported proxy settings from Internet Explorer.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> Start scanning for DriverPacks for the wnt5_x86-32 platform.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> 	Could not detect any (official) DriverPacks.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> 	Could not detect any 3rd party DriverPacks for wnt5_x86-32.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> 	Finished scanning.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> Detected settings file "E:\Sysprep\DriverPacks\DPs_BASE.ini".
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> Imported settings from settings file.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> [Settings]\DPsMethod not specified: default (2) was set.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> [Settings]\finisherMethod not specified: default (GUIRunOnce) was set.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> [OptionalSettings]\KTD not specified: default (none) was set.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> [OptionalSettings]\QSC not specified: default (yes) was set.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> [OptionalSettingsOther]\ATI_cpl not specified: default (None) was set.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> [OptionalSettingsOther]\Nvidia_cpl not specified: default (None) was set.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <INIT> QuickStream Cache directory not found!
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <GUI>  Initialized GUI.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <GUI>  Created a list of all available language files.
2009-07-01 08:29:59 : <GUI>  Set the last used language, English, as the GUI language.
2009-07-01 08:30:47 : <GUI>  Changed Windows installation files OR export (depending on the installation platform) location to E:\WINDOWS.
2009-07-01 08:30:47 : <GUI>  No OS could be detected.
2009-07-01 08:31:15 : <GUI>  Refreshed UpdateChecker with success.
2009-07-01 08:32:11 : <GUI>  Downloaded DriverPack MassStorage 9.01.
2009-07-01 08:32:41 : <GUI>  Downloaded DriverPack LAN 8.12.1.
2009-07-01 08:32:42 : <GUI>  Downloaded DriverPack CPU 8.04.
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  Downloaded DriverPack Chipset 9.02.
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  Start scanning for DriverPacks for the wnt5_x86-32 platform.
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  	Detected DriverPack Chipset 902!
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  	Detected DriverPack CPU 804!
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  	Detected DriverPack LAN 8121!
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  	Detected DriverPack MassStorage 901!
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  	Could not detect any 3rd party DriverPacks for wnt5_x86-32.
2009-07-01 08:32:54 : <GUI>  	Finished scanning.
2009-07-01 08:32:55 : <GUI>  Refreshed UpdateChecker with success.
2009-07-01 08:33:29 : <GUI>  Changed Windows installation files OR export (depending on the installation platform) location to E:\WINDOWS.
2009-07-01 08:33:29 : <GUI>  No OS could be detected.
2009-07-01 08:33:43 : <GUI>  Changed Windows installation files OR export (depending on the installation platform) location to E:\WINDOWS\system32.
2009-07-01 08:33:43 : <GUI>  No OS could be detected.
2009-07-01 08:34:05 : <GUI>  Changed Windows installation files OR export (depending on the installation platform) location to E:\WINDOWS.
2009-07-01 08:34:05 : <GUI>  No OS could be detected.
2009-07-01 08:34:18 : <GUI>  wnt5_x86-32_StandAloneDrivers is the selected installation platform .
2009-07-01 08:34:18 : <GUI>  Changed installation platform from "disc" to "StandAloneDrivers".
2009-07-01 08:38:34 : <GUI>  Saved settings!
2009-07-01 08:38:34 : <GUI>  Closed GUI.
2009-07-01 08:38:35 : <SEL>  Selected module: wnt5_x86-32_m2 Stand Alone DriverPacks.
2009-07-01 08:38:35 : <SEL>  Selected Location E:\WINDOWS\DriverPacks.net.
2009-07-01 08:38:35 : <COPY> Created necessary directory structure for method 2.
2009-07-01 08:38:35 : <COPY> Copying files necessary for method 2.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Extracted additional files necessary for method 2.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Copied DriverPack Chipset to \OEM.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Copied DriverPack CPU to \OEM.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Copied DriverPack LAN to \OEM.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Copied DriverPack MassStorage to \OEM.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Copied DriverPacks to \OEM.
2009-07-01 08:38:36 : <COPY> Updated DPsFnshr.ini to disable KTD.
2009-07-01 08:38:38 : <COPY> DP_Install_Tool was copied successfully
2009-07-01 08:38:38 : <COPY> Slipstream finished in 4 seconds.
2009-07-01 08:38:47 : <CLNP> Temporary working directory successfully deleted.
- = DriverPacks BASE ini settings used = -
[General]
; preferred language
prefLang	= "English"
; yes/no, enable or disable the wizard-style buttons, if not specified: yes
wizardButtons	= "yes"
; yes/no, enable or disable the GUI, if not specified: yes
GUI		= "yes"

[Settings]
; disc/bartpe/multibootDisc
instPlatform	= "StandAloneDrivers"
; trailing backslash is allowed, but not necessary
location	= "E:\WINDOWS"
; none/all/select, if select, specify them below, if not specified: all
DriverPacks	= "select"
; 1/2, method to install the DriverPacks, if not specified: 2
DPsMethod	= "2"
; GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEx/custom, if not specified: GUIRunOnce
finisherMethod	= "GUIRunOnce"

; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettings]
; none/all/select/paths/patterns, enable or disable Keep The Drivers (KTD) , if not specified: none
KTD		= "false"
; <path>, to specify a custom KTD cache location, if not specified: default (%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks)
KTDlocation	= "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
; yes/no, enable or disable QuickStream Cache (QSC), if not specified: yes
QSC		= "yes"

; you should only add this section if you've set [Settings]\DriverPacks to "select"
[SelectDriverPacks]
DP_Chipset	= "yes"
DP_CPU		= "yes"
DP_LAN		= "yes"
DP_MassStorage	= "yes"
DP_MassStorage_textmode = "yes"
2009-07-01 08:38:47 : <CLNP> Create a DPs_Base.log backup @ E:\Sysprep\DriverPacks\LogFiles\DPs_BASE_09-07-01_08-38.log
2009-07-01 08:38:47 : <CLNP> Program terminated.

Did it inject the drivers? My Windows installation is E:

As for the DriverPacks BASE. I pointed it to the E:\Window directory and selected the Stand Alone Drivers. I had to stop and go to work so I wasn't able to finish the guide at the moment, but I stopped at:
6) Move extracted DriverPacks ('D' folder) and wnt5_x86-32.ini files to C:\

Last question for now, where is the dp_inst_tool.cmd file? Sorry if it's in an obvious place.

well if you did not select a location on the 'Location' page it crated DriverPacks.net in the root of the HDD you ran DriverPacks BASE from wink

However your log clearly states

2009-07-01 08:38:35 : <SEL>  Selected Location E:\WINDOWS\DriverPacks.net.

(I love it when users include their logs it clears up so much confusion wink)

your SAD CMD file is at E:\WINDOWS\DriverPacks.net\dp_inst_tool.cmd

PS We will ask Galepo to add a link to his guide... (Please)
PSS any reason you skipped video and sound packs?

"I'm not sure if or how it even injected the drivers. If it did inject them, why would I even DriverPacks BASE SAD feature?"

well you could search for a Mass Storage driver name that is not included with windows... 3waregsm for example wink
the process is extremely complex so i am unable to summarize it for you...
I do know that it is used by many users without issue (thousands perhaps)

You need SAD because offlinesysprep is only adding Mass...
Many drivers in the packs will fail if the DriverPacks Finisher is not run... Offline sysprep does not call the finisher

Well.... for now I have given up. I have tried a lot of different driver injections methods but I still could not get my C drive to be recognized with SCSI drives. As for my IDE drive x86 test, I got my C: to be detected only once. With the x86 capture I was given an error of a corrupt windows file so I never made it to the capture screen. With the x64 capture file, I was able to get it to recognize my C: drive once. I then repeated the procedure (by reverting back via snapshot) only to have it now bluescreen me saying my ACPI wasn't compatible. I even dumbed it down to the ACPI PC HAL but I still got that message. I just wish there was an image of XP someone created in Vmware that is recognized by WDS, then I could work off of that. I'm sure one day I'll get it....

So what are some 3rd party deployment solution software pieces?

I found out why I am getting blue screens and solved that issue. It is a problem with VMWare actually when it comes to SysPrep.

Using this post:
http://www.altirigos.com/vbulletin/vmwa … creen.html

I followed this and it works now:
Try this.. Edit the VM guest's .VMX file.

"Set this line: scsi0.present = "TRUE"

to

scsi0.present = "FALSE"

No, I don't understand it. It just works."

Just an FYI for you all now.

This way is great for about %90 of computers. Might want to put some info about the hal switching here is what i currently do

This does not work for GX 620 and GX 520 Dell they install the wrong mass storage package. Can someone tell  me how to fix it with the current way becuase it has been working great just giving me a few issues with the mass storage.

In my C: Sysprep\I386\$oem folder

I have a file called cmdlines.txt

In that file it says this

"C:\lng\hal_update.bat"

I open text pad and copy the script and name it hal_update.bat

You don't need the --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just whats inside of it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off

:DRIVER_HAL_UPDATE
    SET HAL=

IF %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%==1 (
        devcon.exe /find @ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000 | find /i "Multiprocessor" > NUL && SET HAL=ACPIAPIC_UP
        devcon.exe /find @ROOT\PCI_HAL\0000 | find /i "Multiprocessor" > NUL && SET HAL=MPS_UP
    ) ELSE (
        devcon.exe /find @ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000 | find /i "Uniprocessor" > NUL && SET HAL=ACPIAPIC_MP
        devcon.exe /find @ROOT\PCI_HAL\0000 | find /i "Uniprocessor" > NUL && SET HAL=MPS_MP
    )

IF NOT "%HAL%"=="" (
        ECHO.
        ECHO ----------------------------------------
        ECHO Installing %HAL% HAL
        ECHO.

devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\PCI_HAL\0000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
        devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
        devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\PCI_HAL\0000 := +%HAL%
        devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000 := +%HAL%
        devcon.exe update %windir%\inf\hal.inf %HAL%
        devcon.exe ReScan

ECHO.
        ECHO Rebooting
        ECHO.
        devcon.exe Reboot
    ) ELSE (
        ECHO.
        ECHO Correct HAL Detected
        ECHO.
    )
GOTO :EOF
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will run my hal update .bat during mini setup and the computer was built on ACPI in Vmware

Just have it call on this file, you can put it anywhere. I have it here "C:\lng\hal_update.bat"  This fixed my Hal issues.

I'm just having issues with the way the mass stroage drivers are being install incorrectly.

Any help would be great

Last edited by OverFlow (2010-01-26 09:40:28)

Can someone post there
[SysprepMassStorage]

That works for GX 520 and GX 620

I work for a small jr college with 50 different models mostly all dell (I hate dell) and I'm having issues with these 2 models, if there is a simple fix It would be helpful, cuz this way has been working on about %90 of machines for me.

please use code tags (updated your post for you)

RU using Galapos OffLineSysprep for mass storage?
If not you should be. (and it makes your request unneccessary)

You also forgot to mention that Devcon must be in your C:\lng folder for your script to work.

PS If you hate Dell then it is a good thing you were not around in the old days and having to deploy to compaqs. wink

Yeah  Thanks for fixing that for me. I have been lurking here for a bit now, and trying to understand this

I'm still working out how to deploy with Galapos Offlinesysprep.

I like this current method due to that it works.

I'm building the Image in VMware Server 2.0

I should Then Leave [SysprepMassStorage]

Boot into BartPe and then Run Offline Syspre and Sysprep then?
Do I still have to do the Makepnf and ROE 937? Or will the Offline do that for me.

I already have a snapshot of my image with the bmsd all i need to do it run ROE.EX 937 and sysprep to then boot into my bartpe and image
I image on our network over shares, it has been working well.

I think I just need to reread the offline and understand it better. I'm would be more then happy to make a walk through with Vmware + Offline with pictures for users once I get it working.

NEVER EVER - I REPEAT EVER - Use MakePNF -  NEVER EVER!

FOR ANY REASON... NEVER NEVER NEVER USE makePNF...

I have Said this a THOUSAND times... big_smile

I am not a sysprep guru you wll have to checkout Galapos info - I think his main site / forum is over at 911...
I am pretty sure you do not have to do bsmd with offline sysprep  don't quote me.... wink

PS DON'T EVER USE MakePNF big_smile.

make pnf makes copies of infs, these copies are NOT SIGNED and WILL NOT be used by windows.
This doubles the number of INFs windows must process to match a driver to a device and 50%  of them are useless wink.

All of the pnf's are useless as they are unsigned and will always be passed over for their original INF they were copied from. the pnf system does not work and never did.

Galapo a 911 - http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19397

LOL, I don't use sysprep and even I know not to use makepnf! big_smile
Nice one Jeff!
Yes, galapo is THE MAN!  Follow his lead.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

@Quad-Damage
Very interesting that cmdlines.txt can be used to correctly set HAL. If incorrect HAL was set to a deployed machine, I'd get continuous reboot before mini-setup. At least that's what I remember. I'll have to test this cmdlines.txt suggestion sometime!

Regards,
Galapo.

The machine was built on a ACPI and it will switch over

I'm going to give your offline sysprep another. Thanks to Overflow help

I have my Vmware snapshot.

I deleted my old pnf files in the ini folder. I will not do the makepnf

I copied over your offline files, moved the devcon and put the driver pack mass storage on the C drive not the D/M directory.

Do the ROE.exe 937 command
I will boot in BARTPE run the massstorage injector and the fixes your program has.
Then Sysprep and and Ghost the Sysprep image, hopefully will work with my 60 model computers

Will give an update on how it goes

YOu asked me about not includeing the DriverPacks in your image SAD (M2 only) can be on a network drive

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2264

Yes, I'm going to have it install just network drivers and create a script to map into my Nas Share and run the driver off our network shares. This will save me 2 GB from my default image.

2GB Images in the near future smile Hopefully

@Galapo

Well

I didn't do the Make PNF + this method with the ROE.937

When I run offline in my bartpe I get
It goes all the way past your hal, then I get
RunScanner Error

Create of raget process failed, ret=2
The system cannot find the file Specified

Last edited by Quad-Damage (2010-01-28 10:54:21)

I have no idea about the Runscanner error. Too many unknown variables with BartPE, I haven't used it for a few years. I use LiveXP these days: http://winbuilder.net/download.php?view.35. I'm not sure of the package which downloads includes OfflineSysPrep by default. If not, it'll be in the list of options to download through the WinBuilder download centre when updating LiveXP.

Regards,
Galapo.

@Galapo

Is there any way to host you program and run the whole thing in windows? By copying the  under windows and run the same program in a PE with a system viewer program. (It could run it from PE but the files would be hosted locally and ran locally just in a PE viewer) I have been doing this to make changes to the OS, If i forget after I have ran ROE.exe 937; due to not wanting the drivers packet program to run. I think that was my error before this was not desisnged to work that way and needs to be ran from within a PE or LiveXP. I couldn't get it to load with my Bartpe (I know it's old school but it works well for me)

I will give liveXp another go with your offline sysprep program.

I really just want to use your program to inject mass storage devices, the -bmsd is not cutting it for me.

Last edited by Quad-Damage (2010-01-29 05:25:11)

Are you sure you followed the directions for Offline Sysprep? I was able to make it work with BartPe without any problems.

Attached below is my sysprep; it's to big to post. It works for the gx520, haven't tested it on the 620. It works for many others that i couldn't get working before.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jznj2iyymn4

Quad-Damage wrote:

Is there any way to host you program and run the whole thing in windows? By copying the  under windows and run the same program in a PE with a system viewer program.

I have no idea what a "system viewer program is". But anyway, it is indeed possible to run OfflineSysPrep under windows/locally so long it is pointed to an offline/non-booted system (attached drive or mounted image etc.). You could use the 'UnderWindows' folder as a base to gather what is necessary. The preferrable option would be to use the LiveXP script and select the 'Output' option. This will automatically gather everything that's needed, build the mass storage database, and output to the 'temp' folder in your WinBuilder directory. Here's an image of the button to click on the script:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6971/20100129142130.png

I really just want to use your program to inject mass storage devices, the -bmsd is not cutting it for me.

If you need to use -bmsd, then do this prior to using OfflineSysPrep. Run it under the booted system, sysprep.inf [SysprepMassSorage] will be populated. Then run sysprep as normal to inject the entries into the registry. Reboot to PE or whatever and then run OfflineSysPrep to inject DriverPacks mass storage drivers etc.

I know what I need to do to get OfflineSysPrep to mimic the -bmsd function so that option would be possible, but I need the time and desire to code it.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2010-02-03 15:11:31)

System Viewer is file Manger system viewer in Bart PE

It's the PE File Mangers
Turbo Nvigator v146
2xExplorer
Servant slamander
ect

I run your program in the Pe file manger, just to set the mass stroge becuase that what I'm having an issue with.

I'm getting the damn atimtag.sys missing file after I deleted the pnf files btw

I have this file already in the driver pack + in my sysprem OEM folder.

Installing ATI2MTAG.SYS
Type in the following paths for the requested files:
ATI2MTAG.SYS -> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
ATI2DVAG.DLL -> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32

The file is in both locations as well and it's still looking on the D drive when it shouldn't sad