Re: [REQ][Nvidia notebook/go mobile drivers]

yasha wrote:

Definitely a good intermediate solution, still won't give hardware acceleration, which won't solve the lag issue I currently have, but at least I could get the proper resolution going for this thing. smile

Describe the "LAG" in some detail, when, where and what your running that seems "Slow".

I am working on some cool sh1t that envolves PNP and noticed that one major provlem is driver stacking or layers of devices that support other devices.

Sometimes it takes 3 runs of HWPNP.EXE to enumerate all the connected drivers.
You may notice a whole slew of non-detected devices in device manager with yellow ! marks through them and after running HWPNP a few extra times, these devices will connect with each other.

Short version, installing one device reveals 3 other devices that may also reveal yet another connected device, and so on...

OverFlow wrote:

Wayne,

Please remember that PE is NOT an OS, It's not windows.
It's an installation tool (and thanks to Bart also a repair tool) not an OS substitiute.

You are not going to be able to play DOOM / Crysis from PE any more so than you could from safe mode. wink In fact you may have better luck from safemode big_smile You will be able to run a virus scan wink

That much I get. When I talk "lag in graphics" I'm not refering to 3d. I'm referring to 2d. Menus, pictures, etc..All of which without hardware backing have delays and tend to barf quite a bit.

To me it's more of a swiss army knife OS. It's contained, unalterable, no footprint, and can do 98% of what I turn the machine on to do for most days. I have the specific tools(OS's) for the specialized instances. Many times they are in flux as I'm testing something, or otherwise hosed it. Sometimes I just really don't feel like re-installing or imaging. Which is why I love my UBCD4win disk, and it also serves the other purposes you mention for relatives and friends. smile

Last edited by yasha (2009-12-09 04:29:05)

--Better to rule in h*ll, then serve in heaven.

Hilander is "the man" wink

If you want something in PE, either he can do it, or it can't be done. wink

He wasn't kidding about fixing it - if you provided GOOD details...

restating the layers of drivers thing.
Think of an OSs drivers like a pyramid and graphics drivers like the capstone.
- Your BASE is the chipset drivers (which are not installed in PE)
- On top of the base goes every thing else. we are starting at a disadvantage. basic chipset acceleration is gimped
Mass Storage, USB, RAM, Console and other medium level functions depend on chipset. (gimped by dependency)
Mass takes a beating here, since everything is loaded into RAM not a huge deal, unless we need something from HDD or ODD.
- Sound and Video are at or near the top of our pyramid and likewise depend on the blocks below them to be solid. IE a screen refresh might be slow due to increased lag on IO / Mass Storage or even RAM itself. many sound drivers require the HDA driver installed first, As john pointed out this will require one extra loop through HWPNP.EXE so HDA can be present before the sound Hardware is visible, and eligable for the driver. - i don't even want to think too much about video... Wheeew

Try and give Hilander as much detail as you can!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

@Jeff
Thanks for "Blowing my cover"

OH, and I HAVE played DOOM in a PE before. No PE is complete untill it has at least "Some" games included for those frustration moments and long waits for scans while your bored.

@Wayne
Details, Details, Details... are the key to everything.
Even with a VESA driver I have no lag like what you describe, even when viewing full screen DVD movies on my PE.

I've built plugins for custom video drivers before, but without having the hardware here to work with, it's not even an option.
My older rigs have ATI Graphic boards and I like to keep a PE around with nothing but games on it for "Play Time" when I have nothing to do but wait anyways.

I am trying to port some of my custom built to the masses via the SystemCore I wrote for the UBCD4WIN project, and it's no small task.
Most plugins contain somewhere between 16 & 200 lines of code, the core has 24,000+ which does not even count the underlying plugins that support it.
Run a text search for "hilander999" on the OEM1 & PLUGINS folder, and you will see an interesting pattern.

If your not interested in furthering the development or testing fixes, let me know so I'm not waisting my time replying here.
If you are interested, and are willing to test some beta software, I need as much detail in your responces to me that you can describe.

~The Devil is in the details.

I meant Doom 3 not Doom the original LOL too funny!!!

with ICH7 chipset and a Nvidia 7900 it should be pretty perky in 2d mode (explorer, IE, device manager, etc...)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

@hilander999

I don't really have much more than what I've already posted for details at this time. I'm building again with just the basic install with rc11 of C driver graphics pack that was made to see if running HWPNP a bunch of times there will get it to play nicely.

When using the xnview to view multiple pictures for instance it does the slowdown lag(choppiness line by line movement that slows down not only displaying the pictures but cursor movement as well). This happens while using the folder browse feature. The image at a time, it's slow-er, but not super-noticable such as the other extreme case.

Doesn't [play nicely] with my own driver still. The default monitor which SHOULD be listing as "Generic PnP Monitor"(monitor\LPL0000) but instead gets a scrambled name in the unknown devices section with my driver. The go GS 7900 gets assigned properly and lists right in device manager under PE, but of course barfs somewhere along the way.

Nope, that was no help:
Here's the HwPnP log file

Last edited by yasha (2009-12-12 17:36:23)

--Better to rule in h*ll, then serve in heaven.