Re: Dell M70 missing with install, but found w/DP_INSTALL_TOOL.CMD

I'm still working on trying to find the conflict here.  Thanks to mr_smartepants my testing is going faster!  I'm also trying to test on different systems to see if the error is hardware dependant.

Where I'm at currently, the following works:

All BASE packages plus the following 3rd Party packs:
DP_LCD_wnt5_x86-32_810.7z
DP_Misc_wnt5_x86-32_90322.7z
DP_Modem_wnt5_x86-32_90805.7z
DP_SmartCardReader_wnt5_x86-32_80228.7z
DP_Graphics_A_PhysX_wnt5_x86-32_906.7z

Adding more 3rd Party packs then this seems to cause problems, but I'm still too early in my investigation to blame another pack.  I'll report back when I have more info.

problem isn't conflict between packs !!

I am beginning to belive we have exceeded the max size allowed for a registry entry in windows XP...

working on verifying this now... (I belive the max size for a single reg entry is one megabyte)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

That makes sense, since from my testing it seems to be more of a quantity issues, than any correlation between packs.

So that leads to the obvious question, is there a way around that limit?

here is a couple of related posts from the testing team forum...

OverFlow wrote:

I think what happens is;
1- We try to add a devpath entry over 1MB
2- The 'add reg' fails and 'nothing' is put in as the path value, IE the devpath reg value is blank, empty, "", Null. sad

Since no device path is set then windows setup only installs the included windows drivers... continueing normaly
(except none of the DriverPacks have been searched)

this can be tested by extracting a set of packs that is known to fail...
1- Manually run devpath on the extracted packs
2- Checking the registry wink

predator2003 wrote:

why not simply implentanting a 2 step Driverpack Installation into Base
First Step: extracts all DP's but installs only MainDP's (only MainDP's Paths into Registry)
Second Step: after setup, before finisher, execute all 3rdDP's?

So we can save a lot of Space in the Reg for the expanding MainDP's.

Sorry if it's a stupid idea ;-)

OverFlow wrote:

that can be done too...

use DriverPacks BASE for main packs and call SAD for the 3rd party DriverPacks...

big_smile

However i wish to know if my postulate is correct first wink

PS no it is not a stupid idea. It is an excellent idea big_smile.

Please tell me if my postulate is correct using the method described above (if you have a moment).

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

As the DriverPacks are the main focus it would be a wise to make sure there is never a problem with them. These are what the public uses and to have issues with thousands of users would not be wise.

As the 3rd party packs are less used or regulated adding them as a second stage is a good idea. This would effect a smaller number of users.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Great idea from predator2003

Stu

Two step process with the 3rd parties as a second step sounds good to me.  As I said in my initial post in this thread, running DP_Install_Tool.cmd after the failed install works great, so I think having all the main packs detected during install is better.

What is "SAD"?  I've been thinking I need to hack DP_Install_Tool.cmd to achieve this.  Is there a better way?

Try implementing everything except HID pack.... I believe the issues lie within that pack.

always remember.....
YCGIYWG (You Can't Get, If You Won't Give)
DizzyDen

OverFlow wrote:

I am beginning to belive we have exceeded the max size allowed for a registry entry in windows XP...

working on verifying this now... (I belive the max size for a single reg entry is one megabyte)

Is there anything more I can do to help confirm this is the issue?

I've now figured out what SAD is. tongue  I've been using DriverPacks for a long time, but I run it from the command line, so I've only ever noticed the options in the default comments of the DPs_BASE.ini.  Perhaps a future base release can update those comments for dumb people like me to include mention of SAD as an option?

So going on the suggestion of SAD for 3rd Party, is there any thoughts of including that automation as an option in the BASE so that running it once will both integrate the main packs and SAD the other packs (perhaps setting SAD to run automatically after the finisher)?

Last edited by proximous (2009-09-17 14:07:14)

DizzyDen wrote:

Try implementing everything except HID pack.... I believe the issues lie within that pack.

Skipping or including HID doesn't seem to make the difference for me.  It really does seem to track to the quantity of drivers, not any specific pack.

proximous wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

Is there anything more I can do to help confirm this is the issue?

I've now figured out what SAD is. tongue  I've been using DriverPacks for a long time, but I run it from the command line, so I've only ever noticed the options in the default comments of the DPs_BASE.ini.  Perhaps a future base release can update those comments for dumb people like me to include mention of SAD as an option?

So going on the suggestion of SAD for 3rd Party, is there any thoughts of including that automation as an option in the BASE so that running it once will both integrate the main packs and SAD the other packs (perhaps setting SAD to run automatically after the finisher)?

Sure. We can do that.
Let's make sure we are correct about the path size being the issue...

Hi All,
I am very new to this forum & having very basic knowledge about the things what you all are talking about, but i need to have a XP cd with all drivers & SP3 added, as I’m fed up with finding drivers after xp installation.
So appreciate some body can explain the steps in detail with above suggested method (install standard DP first & 3rd Pty DP secondly) also i saw another thing as "SAD" which i cant understand. so pls help me (& to the people like me) to get this done.

If i need to write some "codes" to make .bat files (I saw some ware), pls post a template where we can change the basic parameters & use with it.

I have read how to use "DP base" software & having bit of a understand about it. but not the advance steps.

(Sorry for my English & grammar)

Last edited by Sathika (2009-11-08 03:59:18)

SAD is documented in the FAQ section of the site (Naturaly) wink
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 159#p20159