Topic: "windows did not start successfully" from Image that was Sysprep/Ghost

I created a "universal" image in VMware of Windows XP Pro (multi processor) and injected all the drivers, etc. MySysprepped it. Ghosted it. It will boot successfully on another VMware computer so long as I do a disk image, not partition image.

Problem:

Finally tried it on an older physical (single processor), it ghosts just fine except when it boots up for the first time we get the message "windows did not start successfully" with the normal, safe mode, etc options..

If you hit normal it just sits there with no hard drive light activity

If you hit safe mode it just stops after a certain driver (which could be normal since safe mode normally does this till safemode appears)

What do you suggest would be the best first step to diagnose?

Originally I thought maybe the boot.ini or MBR was messed up but not sure.

Thanks,

Chase

Last edited by homeshark (2009-08-11 09:54:39)

Re: "windows did not start successfully" from Image that was Sysprep/Ghost

I am not a sysprep guru...

BUT it seems to me this is a HAL issue...

perhaps if your image was done in vmware in a single CPU environment...

Try useing offlinesysprep to set the HAL and make sure you have read galepo and our other gurus notes on mysysprep and HAL.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I am pretty sure it is a MBR issue, disk image usually include the MBR and partition image dont. So use a disk image or make sure you recreate your MBR using fixmbr. You can use BartPE CD with MBRWhisky to recreate the mbr as well.

For some weird reason my base image was set tp ACPI Multiprocessor. I set that to ACPI PC (1 processor), re cloned, and it was able to do the minisetup on the new computer

Problem:
After it was done with the setup and it does its typical reboot, we ran into the same probelm where we got the screen "windows did not start successfully" with the normal, safe mode, etc options..

Could this be the HAL again? Could MySysprep of messed up?