Topic: Sysprep issue

Hey guys, been away from the site for a few weeks as I was out of town but caught up on the issue that people are having.

Anyhow, I know this is not a perfect place to ask this question as there are not that many sysprep pro here but issue is;

After running the sysprep command it somtimes takes 20-30 mins for sysprep to complete it self which is normal. For the last few times sysprep completes in 15sec or less and therefore i know the image is no good.

I run the sysprep command again and same thing. Any idea on what is happening and why. It seems either a hit or mess.

Thanks
Paul

Re: Sysprep issue

Have you tried OfflineSysprep? Once you go you will never return to a regular sysprep again. My syspreping takes a minute or two, and i inject all drivers a ton of mass storage drivers and have all the other goodies from OSP
BTW never had your issue, and i use offlinesysprep.
coincidence? tongue

Last edited by JustusIV (2009-07-11 03:28:36)

I'm going to assume you are using windows xp since the 20+ mins is what xp usually takes on older hardware. If have xp and are using sp3, make sure you upgrade to the sp3 sysprep version. If its completing in 15secs, then it might mean that your sysprep.inf file is corrupt or missing, or you are missing the mass storage drivers section in the inf file.
When it completes in 15 secs, does it popup any error messages and does the computer shutdown? What options of sysprep are you using, ie minisetup, reseal, factory, etc.

Sorry for the delay, thanks for replying guys.

No, I have not tried offlinesysprep yet but i might take a look at it.

Bigfoot
I did not know there was an sysprep for sp3. Yes i am using windows pro with sp3 and i am using i am using the older sysprep files. Whould this explain why it finish it less then 15 sec. My syspre.ini file seems to be ok and yes it does have all the mass storage files as well.  I will be trying the sp3 sysprep and will get back to you asap.

Also, I am pretty sure this is due to sysprep. After preparing the image the way i want it and get ready to sysprep to dump on other laptop models on one of the laptop model the resrtart and shutdown freezes when selecting those options and therefore when it tries to shutdown it stops at the blue screen and the mouse freezes. If I but up into safe mode, the restart and shutdown works perfectly.

Here are the models that I am building the image on and the info.

Models of Laptop                           
Toshiba M300
Toshiba M500
Toshiba M5
Dell E6500

If image gets build from sratch on the M300, it works on the M500 and the M5 but when it comes to the Dell E6500, the image seems fuine up into when rebooting and or shuting down that it hangs on a blue screen.

Test #2
Image was build on the Dell E6500, it works on the M5, M500 but when it comes to the Toshiba M300 it hangs when reboots and or shutdown.

If I just dump the E6500 image onto the M300 image without running sysprep it is able to restart and shutdown fine. So that means somthing is up with my sysprep correct?

The command that I am using to run sysprep is as follows:
sysprep.exe -reseal -activated -mini -pnp -quiet

Please advise
Thanks Again guys

Alright so I tested out sysprep for sp3 and same issue. System does not reboot. I am leaning towards it being the drivers within driverpack.

Why would I say that
I dumped the unsysprep image onto the dell laptop (has no drivers installed)  it is able to reboot and shutdown and I just want to see if its sysprep thats causing this freeze issue.

After the image is dumped i run the devpath c:\d command and then i run the run once script i made before i shutdown.
This run once script runs --> Db_Install

After i reboot, and log on, db_install runs and it installs all the drivers and when i try to reboot or shutdown it once again hangs. So it must be somthing with the driverpack because it works before i run the dn_install.

Can someone shine some light
Thanks again

Sounds like a driver issue. What are the error messages on the blue screens? What Hal are you using for the image? also you can get rid of the -pnp switch for sysprep; its only used if you have non plug and play devices.

We don't distribute a file called Db_Install... and other users do not have issues. Coincidence?

Was your original image created with DriverPack MassStorage. If so you do not need to do anything with sysprep for mass.
Simply set the HDD controler type to standard IDE...
Since all of the mass storage drivers have already been slipsreamed, no additional steps are required wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Don't you think you should post your sysprep.inf since it's related to it ? big_smile