Topic: AHCI- no hdd- Help !ICH8

can anybody help me pls with my problem , i want to change to ahci but i cannot find a solution
my motherboard is foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H link here http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/M … -us0000171
i have a wd 640 gb sata 2 connected on sata 1 channel(ICH8 south bridge), and a dvdrw assus on ide slave (jmicron 361 controller)
in bios i cannot find AHCI mode ,i only have onchip ide device >onchip serial atta setting >sata mode = sata mode /disable, and on Onboard device >jmicron jmb361 controller = raid /ide-sata/disable.
i have win xp sp3 ,my bios is up to date,i tried everything and nothing works.i dont care if i`ll have to reinstall my windows,i just want the sata 2 hdd on ahci.
in device manager i see ich8 2 port 2825 and ich8 4 port 2820 and i also see that the hdd is controlled by ich8 4 port.if i move the hdd on sata channel 3/4 then the hdd will be controlled by the 2 port.the dvdrw is controlled by jmicron.
if in bios i select sata mode =disable , when restart , the serial ata ahci bios version ircs ...bla bla copy right 03-06 intel corporation pops up...CONTROLLER NOT FOUND, AHCI BIOS NOT INSTALLED....so i think this is the ahci mode , right ?also i cant install xp with f6 disk because no hdd was found ,not even in bios.i don`t know what else to do.even if i update the controller driver manualy in xp and restart , switch sata mode = disable (with enable i get BSOD), i get controller not found..pls help

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02\3&2411E6FE&0&FA
Name: Intel® ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820
Hardware ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_0CCA105B
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&CC_01018F
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&CC_0101
Compatible ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_01018F
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0101
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_01018F
PCI\CC_0101
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02\3&2411E6FE&0&FD
Name: Intel® ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825
Hardware ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&SUBSYS_0CCA105B
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&CC_010185
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&CC_0101
Compatible ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_010185
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0101
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_010185
PCI\CC_0101

Last edited by stefan7 (2009-03-31 00:21:16)

Re: AHCI- no hdd- Help !ICH8

Look at page 32/33 of your manual.  Your answer is there.
It's a bios configuration problem.
With AHCI enabled (may be called something else like "native"), you won't be able to boot into a preloaded XP.  You'll have to enable AHCI, then format and reload XP. 

Fixing AHCI on a preloaded XP is possible, but very tricky.  I've done it.  It's messy.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

well i don`t care to fix ahci into a installed xp ,i just want it to work,i boot win xp cd and press f6 and use a text modded driver but does not find my hdd ,it isnt showing in bios either ,like in the manual...if i put sata mode = sata mode => IDE EMULATION,if i put disable, the intel thing popus up and says CONTROLLER NOT FOUND, ahci bios not installed...i dont know what other combination in bios to use .

What you don't want to do doesn't matter here.  There is but one way to 'fix' your problem.

i want to install a fresh windows with ahci enable but i cant because hdd dosent show up when i`m installing a new copy of xp! i tried every combination in bios with no luck so pls help

Last edited by stefan7 (2009-03-31 05:11:49)

Go here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=109450 and try it the procedures.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

i allready tried that method,no luck,how can i be 100% sure that my motherboard supports ahci ?in the manual it dosent say anything
quote from wikipedia "IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if it's available (usually labelled COMPATIBILITY or ACPI)." acpi ?i have acpi but that stands for power management

Last edited by stefan7 (2009-03-31 17:18:07)

stefan7 wrote:

how can i be 100% sure that my motherboard supports ahci ?in the manual it dosent say

Try all BIOS settings.

Watch hardwareIDs:
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0106 indicates Intel AHCI mode.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=& … p;p=846625
There is NO CC_0101 AHCI mode at linked thread.

BIOS may disable AHCI mode.
Ask the motherboard manufacturer about AHCI mode.

i understand that cc_0106 is when you are allready in ahci mode in xp..0101 means ide is what i have now because i`m in ide emulation.

does anybody know why i have 2 controllers ?2 port and 4 port ?

Last edited by stefan7 (2009-04-02 04:19:24)

I might be wrong but I don't think PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820  and PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825 support AHCI at all.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/313057.pdf

Look at page 12, Non-AHCI and Non-RAID.

The HWID changes when you switch sata modes, so we need the hwid listing when you are in sata mode. You can achieve this in BartPE or with UBCD4WIN.

I would recommend a bios update. Also when we get the proper HWID for AHCI mode, we could lookup at intel documentation and see if your HWID is supported.

BTW your welcome. big_smile

stefan7 wrote:

i allready tried that method,no luck,how can i be 100% sure that my motherboard supports ahci ?in the manual it dosent say anything
quote from wikipedia "IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if it's available (usually labelled COMPATIBILITY or ACPI)." acpi ?i have acpi but that stands for power management

I just checked my motherboard manual (ABIT IX48 GT3) and under Integrated Peripherals > OnChip SATA Device > OnChip SATA Controller (Enabled) > -SATA Mode: there are three options - IDE, RAID, AHCI

So, I would say that if there is no mention of anything similar for your motherboard then you do not have that capability.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

JakeLD agrees with ChiefZeke.

i don`t have onchip sata device , i have ide device, and under ide device i have onchip serial ata settings , sata mode = sata mode /disable...currently i`m on sata mode , and i think this is the sata- ide emulation , if i chose sata mode = disable, reboot pc ,no harddisk found , controller not found , ahci bios not installed...and another thing ,in bios when sata mode = sata mode , it shows 4 sata channels, when i chose sata mode = disable , it shows 2 channels.why is that ?i have the latest bios update.i think putting sata mode = disable is the AHCI mode

on a old matrix manager txt i found this line

[iaStor_Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %*PNP0600.DeviceDesc%
ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = %SERVICE_BOOT_START%
ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary = %12%\iaStor.sys
LoadOrderGroup = SCSI Miniport
AddReg = iaStor_parameters_AddReg

[iaStor_mobl_Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %*PNP0600.DeviceDesc%
ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = %SERVICE_BOOT_START%
ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary = %12%\iaStor.sys
LoadOrderGroup = SCSI Miniport
AddReg = iaStor_mobl_parameters_AddReg

[Strings]
DiskName = "Intel Matrix storage Manager Driver"
*PNP0600.DeviceDesc = "Intel AHCI Controller"

i have *pnp0600 under compatible and hardware id in my hdd sata channel.

Last edited by stefan7 (2009-04-02 19:46:08)

sata mode = sata mode , it shows 4 sata channels, when i chose sata mode = disable , it shows 2 channels.why is that ?

Because IDE only supports two devices per controller.

It would seem that your MB does not support AHCI mode... Contact them for further support.
We support Drivers, We don't support specific hardware. If you need configuration info about your MB the best source for that is the manufacturer, not us. althoug we would be interested in hearing if AHCI mode is truelyu not suported for your MB...

The ICH8 chipset has been supported by DriverPacks for years... i don't think drivers are your issue, i think the MB settings are not correct, again please contact foxxcon for support of your MB. I belive once you have selected teh best setting available to you then the DriverPacks will find your HDD.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

well i integrated the masstorage and chipset into the xp cd with the drivepack installer, used method 2....i got a error from iastor in dos setup..an error code but  don`t remember it..and something about a line ..
so ive searched and searched all over the internet and ive seen many people who has cc_0101 and 2825 and 2820 and still managed to enable ahci.

Last edited by stefan7 (2009-04-03 04:57:54)