Topic: OPEN: Automatic download function for new/updated driverpacks

Hi Bashrat,

First of all, I want you to know that your driverpacks are very useful and therefore save a lot of my time everyday.

I don't know if you had this topic before, because I am unable to search MSFN, so please don't beat me if I missed something wink .

Now let me ask my question, although it should be obvious from the topic title:
What about integrating an automatic download function for new/updated driverpacks, so that you don't have to do that manually? I'm sure that this would save people a lot of time and you a lot of headaches because someone uses an outdated version and complains about a bug that you fixed already.

I hope to hear from you,
mkp

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-06-27 22:20:46)

Re: OPEN: Automatic download function for new/updated driverpacks

Sounds like an interesting feature, but by making you goto the site... you get to see the 'Donate' option much more! wink

But in the end, its all Bâshrat the Sneaky's call on that feature.

twig123 wrote:

you get to see the 'Donate' option much more! wink

Thats right, but Bash could still let the donate button appear within the GUI as soon as you start a download. However, if you ask me, it is not the right thing to accept the Terms of Use more than once a day either. I think  he should put that button onto that page and let it appear once (and only once) before you can download any driverpack.

I only came up with the "automatic update" idea because it is a boring job to find the right files on his site and to move them to the right directory after download. I didn't never say that his donate button mustn't appear anymore, did I?

Edit: uh, a double negotiation in the last line. But I guess you will still get the meaning ;-)

Last edited by mkp (2006-05-30 07:23:39)

mkp wrote:
twig123 wrote:

you get to see the 'Donate' option much more! wink

Thats right, but Bash could still let the donate button appear within the GUI as soon as you start a download. However, if you ask me, it is not the right thing to accept the Terms of Use more than once a day either. I think  he should put that button onto that page and let it appear once (and only once) before you can download any driverpack.

I only came up with the "automatic update" idea because it is a boring job to find the right files on his site and to move them to the right directory after download. I didn't never say that his donate button mustn't appear anymore, did I?

Very correct. The current system is quite idiotic. But I just haven't had the chance to improve that... I will wink

And I'm not sure about it yet, but I think I'll add automatic DriverPack updates as well, the DriverPacks BASE is already being updated automatically wink

As a matter of fact, this is the "next big thing" on my todo list smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

I didn't realize this was very annoying, the website hasn't been on my mind the last months (except for the fact that it sucks). So I decided to take immediate action. As a result, you won't be annoyed anymore wink smile. The Terms of Service are now just displayed on the download page.

That's a great improvement already! When I tried to write an automatic update script yesterday, I realized that one can't view the contents of the directory where the driverpacks are stored to (http://www.thesneaky.com/DriverPacks/) and therefore didn't finish it. I have another idea on how to do that, but I don't do it for now as I don't know whether you would allow me to bypass the donate button wink .
BTW: I decided to donate in near future!

Auto update the packs , best idea ive heard till now.......
Saves lots of time also.

http://www.l33tsig.net/sig/1/muiz.png

mkp wrote:

That's a great improvement already! When I tried to write an automatic update script yesterday, I realized that one can't view the contents of the directory where the driverpacks are stored to (http://www.thesneaky.com/DriverPacks/) and therefore didn't finish it. I have another idea on how to do that, but I don't do it for now as I don't know whether you would allow me to bypass the donate button wink .
BTW: I decided to donate in near future!

No need for such a script, since it'll be integrated. I couldn't appreciate it much either.

And... thanks smile

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

I couldn't appreciate it much either.

That's why I didn't finish it. Also, I think that we can live with the current solution until you have the time to do that.

autoupdate is ok, but if it will work the same way as DP Base do then it will be catastrophe roll
after closing DP Base 6.05.1 and installing DP BAse 6.05.2, the script deleted DP Base 6.05.2 installer
and then - nothing... where is my DP Base ?
so,is it possbile to make:
1. to leave installer in some catalog for future needs in disaster case and for saving of the traffic
2. after successful installation of DP Base the new version of DP Base would launch automatically

In my opinion I think Bashrat should make some sort of Pro version of his DP Base that he gives to people who donate money to him.  The update features could be in the pro version.  He can give all donators access to a certain area of his site which will open the pro version to have access to auto download them.

I think Bashrat deserves it... and I also think that it would be a good gesture to the ones who donate to him. wink

i think it is the best solution to give the autoupdate feature people which donate - maybe other pro features will come too?

I believe Bâshrat the Sneaky has already had the thought cross his mind about this issue.

Pro version for people who donate ... good idea
But what if someone leaks it?

well....... you could punish the abusers by sending them one of the very nifty virii that I have contained.... lets pick my favorite.... the one that, once exicuted, will fry ALL the firmware of ANY connecting device to that system...

.....can you say "Goodbye Computer & All Accesories!"

(man that is a classic)
I loved frying old x286 & x386's with that.

wink

They couldn't leak it.  My thought is when someone donates Bashrat gives the "donators" access on the forum.  Only Donators will have access to download updates via the DP Base. wink  If their login info was leaked... then Bashrat could demote their access. wink

So to use the pro features one would have to be logged in to the forum.

It is simular to an idea I plan for a later version of the integrator and powerpacker.

Yeah, if you figure how to weed the 'leakers' and such...how to prevent ppl from getting their hands on any "pro" version well then you should get a job with any of the big corporations as I'm sure they would be interested in your airtight antipiracy packaging. 
I'm just wondering how you can sit there and consider the practice that brought us to these forums anyway? I thought we all had a hand in building up these very helpful programs. You CAN'T take drivers made by manufactures and charge ppl for them by the way...and then where would Bashrat be if he can't even include these drivers with his program? This slipstreamer would be close to useless for those that use them on a large scale without them(drivers). What is the matter with how donations work now anyway? I know that there are ppl out there taking small developers like Bashrat for granted, then again, those that find it the most useful are the ones that have been donating and I bet Bashrat gets a kick doing this kind of thing (too bad it became so helpful and popular, eh?). By the same token, if you start charging for programs like these those that donate will be nothing more than consumers. I'm all for Bashrat getting rich off of us...he's gotten around the things that companies like Microsoft should have been doing for us in the first place!   Cool. You can block ppl from forums and certain functions, but I dare anyone to charge for zipped drivers. 

ppl should remember why they develop these programs in the first place (or are they just wasting their time?). In either case, I don't feel confortable reading this crap on a forum. I'd rather call your customer service department when I buy your product off the shelf.

The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.

razormoon wrote:

I'm just wondering how you can sit there and consider the practice that brought us to these forums anyway? I thought we all had a hand in building up these very helpful programs. You CAN'T take drivers made by manufactures and charge ppl for them by the way...

Most of us have had a hand at assisting in debugging and in testing, but when is the last time you contributed any code to the BASE slipstreamer?  My guess would be that "pro" members will have access to a "pro" version of the slipstreamer.  Obviously nobody can charge you to download device drivers developed by myraid of companies.

razormoon wrote:

ppl should remember why they develop these programs in the first place (or are they just wasting their time?). In either case, I don't feel confortable reading this crap on a forum. I'd rather call your customer service department when I buy your product off the shelf.

You should remember that those of us who provide our projects to others but solicit donations really do this as a labor of love.  None of us are so misguided as to believe we are going to get rich from our endeavors.  Anybody who has been around MSFN for while probably knows that I do not suffer fools well, so in conclusion, I'm not too comfortable read this "crap" either.

Well then we both agree with the crap part. Otherwise...I was the one to mention 'getting rich', in which I do not mind parting with money to those that make things easier for me. Do you understand that what we have here are equal parts business and personal use. How are you going to charge someone that makes a disc for personal use...for future reference? Are you ready to cater to only those that do distribution? That makes their job easier? That is what I am talking about.
And being that I myself have d/led contributions made by yourself (and I thank you), my main concern were contributions that made software made by others, easier to slipstream. You can't expect to make a program that uses other ppls software to make a profit. Most of us here can do that for ourselves. Either through Integrator, nLite and whathaveyou. Your software makes things EASIER but they don't make things POSSIBLE. I have no qualms about donating to you. Again, I myself use some of your addons. I myself use nLite. But can you see what I am saying?

If you are asking what I contribute, no it is not money. It is my precious time in trying to track bugs...why nothing of Bashrat's recent release works for me. Do I blame him? No. Was I refering to him in my first post on this specific topic? No.
Do I contribute to topic after topic of how this has failed me or how I-am-not-you (inside joke). I blame my motherboard...and maybe nvidia too. I don't know how to code like yourself. I wrote a piece of s&&t (Hey Bash,..this board doesn't support censoring! LMAO) batch that makes renaming easier. I regularly post to the bugtracker.

I need to see you release something w'out bugs. I want you to contribute and be perfect. Then do a funny thing like charge the ppl that helped you out.

PS...I find your contributions priceless (yeah, really). And one of the things I was trying to convey was that the lot of you actually DO do this as a labor of love. So why keep it from the rest by charging...the rest being that use it as  a one time thing.?.?

Last edited by razormoon (2006-06-06 12:55:22)

The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.

I guess point is that if you are only making an install source for yourself and maybe a family member or two, then all of these utilities are probably overkill.  However, if you're using these things as a part of your job, and it makes your job easier, and it makes you look good to your boss/clients, then a small donation isn't too much to ask - even if you do help with the bug hunting.

Believe me, I'm all about open source and freeware, but at some point you wouldn't mind at least recouping the cost of hosting.  Anything extra probably goes toward a faster unit in order to be more productive in development (faster test installs in VMware, etc).

I just don't see any reason to be bringing the issue up at all.  Bashrat pretty much single handedly brought the DriverPacks to life.  Even more, he made it possible to easily assemble your own DriverPacks and use his tools to integrate them without needing to know hardly anything.  It's an insanely time consuming project considering how fluid the hardware market is and the ever changing drivers.

@razormoon  I had mentioned a pro version that would unlock other areas of the DriverPacks... not a pay version... just an enhancment for those that have donated.  Wether that be money or bug tracking is up to bashrat.

What people like yourself do not understand is the coding is a lot harder than you imagine.  People like Bashrat (and myself) have spent countless hors, days, weeks... on developing tools to make things easier for people like you.  If you don't mind doing it manually... then suit yourself.  No one is forcing you to do anything.  You act like I had reccomended Bashrat to stop providing the DriverPacks for free.  I just mentioned a pro version for those who contribute.  It is the least that Bashrat deserves. 

I myself have worked so hard on my programs that I have actually got a pinched nerve in my neck from sitting at the computer so much coding.  Then you want to down the idea of Bashrat offering a Pro version for those that contribute?  The option to donate has allways been there.  Why shouldn't Bashrat offer something as a thanks to those that do?? 

You're right people can manually do everything that the DriverPacks do.  But the DriverPacks simplify that task.  You can spend hours to manually do it... or use the DP Base to do it in less than a min.  Hmmmm... wonder what most would do?  Dude... you have no idea what you are talking about.  The only people who would take your side in an argument like this would be simple minded and have no idea the amount of work it takes to create a project like this. I can go on and on about the reasons you're post is meaningless... but my coding finger is more important.

BTW... it is sad if this thread turns into an argument about wether or not Bashrat should make something like what I had mentioned.  It is something for Bashrat to make to say thanks to those who support him.

Siginet wrote:

They couldn't leak it.  My thought is when someone donates Bashrat gives the "donators" access on the forum.  Only Donators will have access to download updates via the DP Base. wink  If their login info was leaked... then Bashrat could demote their access. wink

So to use the pro features one would have to be logged in to the forum.

It is simular to an idea I plan for a later version of the integrator and powerpacker.

First see ...then believe

If someone leaked their login info it would show on the site.  When bashrat sees 2 or more people logging in at a time he cancels there login info.  Also a lot of forums only allow one login at a time.  So no one would be able to log in at the same time anyways.  Someone may try to hack the file... but unless they hack Bashrats forums somehow and creates some sort of login that has access without being logged... I have no idea how they could do that... but hey... I have seen worse things happen.  But who cares... If that happens... then something else could be done later.  But the point is... it is something for Bashrat to give to those who donate.  I am sure it wouldn't hurt him too much if someone so desperatly had to crack a free program to unlock a few pro features.

BTW... we both know that muiz would allready have the pro version if it was available. wink  Muiz is a strong contributer to the DP project. :thumbsup:

Last edited by Siginet (2006-06-08 13:43:56)

While I find the prospect of Bâshrat giving more to contributors appealing, I also think it's a bit greedy of us to be asking him to do so.  Isn't he giving us enough already?  Did we not contribute to pay him back for all the time and effort he has already put into this project? [/rant]

An autoupdate feature would be a good idea, but it could also cause problems for those that modify the DriverPacks themselves.  In my opinion an autonotify feature with the option to download, an imbedded Terms of Use statement, and Donate button (all in one pane) would be far more attractive. smile

Last edited by 5eraph (2006-06-08 14:57:03)

I agree with you on the autoupdate.  Auto Update wouldn't be needed much yet.  I may have been talking like I meant Auto-Update... but I actually meant an option to update the driverpacks manually through the DP Base. wink My bad.