Topic: [SOLVED] Smaller DriverPacks?!

Hi,

Thank you Bâshrat the Sneaky and others for your hard and amazing work in this project.

I prefer to have all official DriverPacks integrated in one CD. So, are there any auxiliaries that I can remove from DriverPacks.7z files? Such as trayicons, helpfiles, panels, etc.?

Regards.

Re: [SOLVED] Smaller DriverPacks?!

Dont mess with the DriverPacks they have alredy been slimed down, if you want you can try making your own.
Heres a simple Tutorial

I made one for all the stuff on my machine and it was only 6.5 MB

Last edited by ricktendo64 (2006-08-15 04:57:51)

I'm not talking about making customs DriverPacks!! I'm trying to slim down the official DriverPacks!! For example, in Graphics A DP, I heard that some ATI controls can be deleted to gain some space.

Here is what you can do.  I have done it in the past and it does slim things down.  Bashrat would have to verify that this method is safe but I know it has worked for me.

Extract all of the sound divers Then compile them all into one big sound driver. It will be able to compress better and will save some space.  You can either use this as a 3rd party driverpack... or you can do what I do and name the driverpack to the same name as Sound DriverPack A.  I would think that it would install the control panels and stuff better if it is not used as a 3rd party pack.  You can also do the same thing with the graphics packs as well.  You wouldn't want to compile all of the DriverPacks into one big pack due to the fact that certain packs do certain things.

Good suggestion Siginet smile I'll try it.

What about the additional files in Graphics DriverPacks that can be safely removed. I read about it once but could not find it.

I think that DP Graphics C is safe to leave out around 95% of the time.  It's mainly workstation drivers for professional level cards.

Yes, you can "remove" DP Graphics C (34 Mb), and remake DP Graphics A deleting "aticcc.exe" (10 Mb) and "aticcp.exe" (10 Mb again) inside.
DP Sound A & B : there's some ".cpl" file you may delete, but i'm not 100% sure.
All others DriverPacks don't have anything you can remove.
You can safely remove dirs like "LANG" and others inside I386 to gain some few Mb.

Last edited by maxximum (2006-08-15 13:45:17)

Ok, will deleteing "aticcc.exe" and "aticcp.exe" result in not working ATI drivers? In other words, what these .exe files do? Are they just accessories?

aticcc.exe : ATI Catalyst Control Center
aticcp.exe : ATI Catalyst Control Panel
Both are just control panels and not drivers, you can safely delete them.

maxximum wrote:

aticcc.exe : ATI Catalyst Control Center
aticcp.exe : ATI Catalyst Control Panel
Both are just control panels and not drivers, you can safely delete them.

Indeed.

All tghe settings can also be changed directly in the registry.
Granted, it's not as comfortable to work without a GUI but it certainly achieves the same thing.
Of course you will need to know what settings do what, but there definately is no need for either control GUI.
In fact, the drivers will run on default settings with them no installed so you also get a good compromise between performance and speed.

Nothing to lose here unless you're a serious gamer or heavily into multimedia.

It's offtopic, but...

maxximum

You can safely remove dirs like "LANG" and others inside I386 to gain some few Mb.

For example, can I remove ASMS dir(>10Mb)? I don't think so...

DmitryOlenin wrote:

It's offtopic, but...

maxximum

For example, can I remove ASMS dir(>10Mb)? I don't think so...

I'm not too sure what that dir is, however, just use nLite to do the job, it tells you what component is for what purpose and also does not let you remove any critical components by default.

For instance, you can easily kick out this silly annoying search dog, the welcome video that's being played after first boot and other "useful" things.

Most likely, you will update .NET to 1.1 or 2.0 if you use it.
Moreso if you don't use it you can kick the old files off the disc.

Same for WMP.
And there's even more!

Do not remove ASMS  it is an important directory.  The integrator actually compresses a lot of the files inside asms saving you a some space.  So it is safe to compress the cat and dll files in there with makecab. wink

Is it safe to extract and recompress each DP using: 7z, Ultra, LZMA, 128MB, 273Word, and Solid Archive?

Of course that's safe wink As long as it's the 7zip format it's fine. And keep the same directory structure, of course!

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com