Topic: [OBSOLETE] ATI Catalyst 6.6

ATI Catalyst 6.6

http://www.l33tsig.net/sig/1/muiz.png

Re: [OBSOLETE] ATI Catalyst 6.6

hm, wheres bashrat? very strange...

studing c++ tongue

Now, this will become somewhat tricky I presume.
Since ATi decided to take out any support for cards older than 9600, we now need both CAT 6.5 (the latest to support those now canned cards) as well as CAT 6.6 (or newer, when released) to be included.

Unless there's an easy way to re-integrate support for those cards, that will mean the DriverPacks must contain both drivers, increasing filesize quite noticeably (not that I would have any problems with that but some users are already running on their CD's last MBs wink)

i think older cards can be added to 6.6's .INF file

If it's only a INF listing issue one has to wonder why ATi dropped "support" for those cards...

But then again, I really don't get why I can't install the default CATs on my notebook with Mobility X700, either.
I have to rely on this tool (http://driverheaven.net/patje/), which, AFAIK, only modifies the INF entries.
Of course, it's not an issue with the DriverPacks, just pointing out...

Because when they drop support for a card that means they don't have to do one bit of testing on that card.  There could be some driver programming techniques that they would like to enable in the driver, but if they do it could make the driver not work with older cards.  But mainly, hardware companies would prefer to end support of a product as soon as you pay for it.

It's just so stupid to see advertised that they offer 'unified drivers for easy installation'. It's only partially true. nVidia's chipset drivers are even worse, of course. It's all about the interpretation...

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Is the older driver pack posted anywheres? Because i have a ati9600 model but i also have a 7000 in a pci slot and i have in the past tried to install both and my system became unstable.

toyotabedzrock wrote:

Is the older driver pack posted anywheres? Because i have a ati9600 model but i also have a 7000 in a pci slot and i have in the past tried to install both and my system became unstable.

You are requesting the old DriverPack Graphics A? Please describe your exact problem, so I can add an exception for it! wink

Yes Pack A with Catalyst 6.5 drivers.

And... "Please describe your exact problem, so I can add an exception for it! wink" ... wink

I have 2 video cards one is a AIW9600XT the other is a PCI version of the Radeon 7000. If i install the newer 6.6 Catalyst drivers it causes my system to be unstable since the 6.6+ drivers do not have support for the 7000 card.

Last edited by toyotabedzrock (2006-08-15 12:29:08)