Topic: DriverPacks BASE 8.09.rc1 - We need your comments, Please!

Well I had a 15 minute union break and decided to do some code instead of coffee   

Version Release Notes:
Developer: Jeff Herre aka OverFlow
===================================

NEW PLATFORM ADDED

Stand Alone Drivers (S.A.D.)!

Create a Stand Alone Drivers location - Without a source OS
    Use either Method One (M1) or Method Two (M2) for your output
    I am in process of designing a M3 (Raw uncompressed) method
    with DVD as standard equiptment now space is simply not the concern it once was

DP_Install_Tool.CMD had some minor updates wink
     A total rewrite and honestly too many for me to remember... lol
     DriverPacks BASE M2 packs will be in 8.3 format, but, they Do Not need to be!
     This means an M2 S.A.D. folder can be maintained simply by swapping out packs,
     as downloaded, without renaming. Convenient?... yeah we thought so too!

I added DeTard's feature request for an Option to skip driver removal with DriverPacks Finisher
     A new option has been added for use in the DPsFnshr.ini
          DPsRootDel  = "false"
     This switch prevents deleting the /D/ Folder
     This feature was necessary for S.A.D. M1
         - useful to S.A.D. when a M1 source is located and used and (most importantly) NOT deleted... LOL
           IE A ThumbDrive is used for a M1 S.A.D. folder location
               The dpinst tool is run directly off the ThumbDrive \D\ folder. (No copy or extraction)
               normally this folder would then, quite sadly, be deleted by the DriverPacks Finisher. Rats...
               add  DPsRootDel  = "false" to the DPsFnshr.ini and no longer do you have to say... Rats... big_smile

I added DeTards's feature request to process the QSC without Slip-streaming as a by product of the above request...
     I am actually 'cheating a little' on this one
     Use the S.A.D. platform and choose M1
       (CAUTION - base deletes target folder if it exists - Use a dummy folder if needed big_smile

===================================

I added Helmi's Feature Request for the Nvidia control panel feature
     [REQ] Option to select between Old, New or Both for the NV CP design
     Base writes the registry file entries to a file called nvidia.ins
     base will set the correct settings in that file based on the users GUI selection
     the required DriverPack Graphics A INI entry is being added and exists in the current nightlies
     the DriverPacks Finisher will run regedit /s %systemdrive%\nvidia.ins When an appropriate nvidia device is detected
     This feature works in a similar manner as the ATI CCC or CCP function you are all familiar with
     the primary difference is this just creates some registry entries instead of calling an installer.

I added JSe's feature request for folder searching in presetup.cmd 
    [REQ] PreSetup.cmd - add on success/exit to drive letter search loop

I added yiuc1's feature request for a date stamp for the LOG file 
     ChiefZeke also gave excellent input on this Feature Request
     [REQ]  Backup of log files
     Added a dated log in a sub-folder
      IE \[DPs_folder]\LogFiles\DPs_BASE_08-09-02_01-48.log 
     The log file now also contains the DPs_BASE.ini settings that were used
     We also create the  \[DPs_folder]\DPs_BASE.log too because legacy support is required, dolivas reporting
     Neat feature...

I added Copy the current DPs_BASE.ini settings to end of the DPs_BASE.log

I fixed reported bug with language files on overview page - helmi reporting

I added start /wait /separate /realtime call to un7zip to the presetup and S.A.D. disk calls
And maxximum asked his friend STK, (who coded the current version of un7zip that we use), to optimize it for speed.
STK did optimize his code and un7zip is Much faster now! Kudos Guys!
     The combination of these two together, Well... It's faster wink

I fixed a quirk where the Version checker offers older based versions as "upgrades" to newer beta versions - mr_smartepants reporting

I updated alignments in the GUI and increased the description box's size
I updated master language file to include new, old and both for use in base translations
  Created a translation for BartPE since it is necessary for the hot key function. (good eye Helmi)
  Wrote a description for the DriverPack Graphics A options page

I added Nvidia and ATI control panel settings to OverView page

I Updated Hot Key functions 

I corrected spelling error for DriverPacks Finisher - mr_smartepants reporting
forfilled -> fulfilled

I created a Workaround for a bug mr_smartepants found in the MS dpinst.exe tool
     DPInst.exe fails when it is run from the root folder of a drive.
       It appends an extra \ after the search-path if it is run from a root folder, 
     IE c:\\D\,  and then 'minisetup' (DPInst) fails to install any drivers.
     dp_install_tool.cmd and DriverPacks BASE code were both updated to compensate for the path issue with dpinst.

I added command line parameters to DP_Install_Tool.cmd...
    you may choose ONE of the three following choices...
      V=Verbose not case sensitive and list a few extra items that normally output to null
      Q=Quiet not case sensitive and skips the beeps and pause at the end (skip the attended output stuff)
      "Your_Path\Filename.here"=Log to "Filename.here"

IE  "Your_Path\DP_Install_Tool.cmd" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\DP_Install_Tool.log"
         OR  "Your_Path\DP_Install_Tool.cmd" Q

I added language updates that were submitted by:
English       Jeff Herre ~ OverFlow
German       Helmi
french       Maxximum
Italian        jinkazama
Portuguese  Sandrion
Spanish       ricktendo64

Main testers (in alphabetical order) reporting on base 809 alpha:
BigBrit, dolivas, Echo_Platoon, Helmi, mr_smartepants, and Sm0k3r

My Special thanks and great appreciation to our translators and testing team for making this RC possible!
I can't say enough nice things about the DriverPacks team here...
'We' make DriverPacks possible only through working together towards a common goal.
Each of you is the most important member of the Team...

- Report any good or poor results please ! ( it's always nice to read... 'no problems found' )
    - Reporters are members of the team too... wink

HERE YOU GO --->> http://dev.driverpacks.thesneaky.com/dr … 809rc1.exe

Main Packs - progress and release notes:

Mid summer is always a rough time at DriverPacks because Intel releases their new chipsets and drivers. There is always a few months of turmoil that result for us. Please know that we're working feverishly to release updates to the major DriverPacks (DriverPack Sound A, DriverPack Graphics A, LAN, ect...). Our primary goal has always been to support all hardware, and our secondary goal is providing the most stable drivers available. You may already be aware that newer drivers sometimes have bugs wink. I would like to quote Orson Welles, from the old Paul Masson Commercial,  "We will release no driver before it's time!"  wink  big_smile  LOL...

The team has several of the main packs in the final stages of testing and it will be very soon. (are we there yet?)

last and most important, my thanks and respect to Wim Leers for bringing all of us DriverPacks.net.
It is our intention to continue successfully down the path he blazed.   
When the people around you make you want to be better than you were yesterday, then you're in the right group  wink
thanks

- Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: DriverPacks BASE 8.09.rc1 - We need your comments, Please!

This DriverPacks BASE release candidate has a helluvalot of revolutionary changes.
In essence, SAD is becoming some sort of M3.

When one is not using all of the features this RC has, then one can quite easily miss unknown bugs while the beta is in testing, and that is where our call for a "drive testing" by the large public is needed.
Some of the new features will most probably become big hits, and some improvements in the way things get processed are probably not going to be noticed.

Jeff has listed MORE changes than I was capable of testing.
Others tested those.
We can use your help, and this is a good opportunity.

what do we expect to hear from you when you report?
what did you do?
what did you expect our programme would do. (what was the result you expected/and the result you got?)
Can you reproduce it?
Do you know the fix?

There is better error checking code in DriverPacks BASE than ever before.
Nothing in this world is perfect, and one of the saddest things is that some drivers are themselves causing us quite a bit of grief.
DriverPacks BASE is backward compatible with older DriverPacks, tho.
Driver conflict related problems can have a relevancy to error checking in DriverPacks BASE, but they are most likely to be handled in the driver forae.

There is a lot of work being done on support for PE/ubcd4win.
It looks like ALL future main DriverPacks will have an INI, but do not despair when you have one that has no INI.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Testing these now and I just can't wait!

Dudes it's hard describe just how much you rock :-)
I'm gonna testride this baby with the sysprep method described here (minus the mass-storage packs): http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1682
I have this method up and running with the old DriverPack BASE 7.04. Couldn't get it to work with 8.04 though.
Hope it will work with the new pack. I wrote a few handy batch files that automate the procedure. If you are interested I could share them.
Thanks for adding the DPsRootDel  = "false"  option. This is just what I needed.
Keep up the good work!

Sounds real good to me tho most of what you said went over my head so im goin to bide my time and check it out once the updates are ready.

WOW! What an amount of great features! I'm speechless... wink

P.S. I can't wait for the M3 mode.

I've been meaning to register and contribute my experiences with the super Driver Packs but the beta of 8.09 was enough to send me over the edge and here I am.

First, THANK YOU for all the great effort and thought you all put into the DriverPacks and this website. You doing this work allows many others to seem like magicians to the untechnical masses. I am REALLY excited about the new ("Method 3") SAD feature, and that's why I'm writing today.

I did an experiment last night/this morning (yeah, one of **those**) while in the process of clean installing my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, and I got errors in the results, so maybe you can educate this ole geezer and point me in the proper direction.

I made my installation media WITHOUT specific drivers for this system (in particular, specific drivers refer to video, audio, wired and wireless networking, and maybe chipset) with the idea of using the SAD Method 3 to install those drivers after the fact. I use nLite and have for many years, so I have a science that works there, and I normally integrate specific drivers for the system I'm clean installing.

I used DPBase 8.09rc1 and ONLY RELEASED DRIVER PACKS (no pre-release packs) and the SOUND driver was not installed by SAD when I got finished. The laptop uses SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with this Device ID:

PCI\VEN_8086DEV_24C5SUBSYS_02021179REV_03\361AAA010FD

Perhaps I SHOULD've used the pre-release packs, and I WILL try that soon enough. I just wanted to see if I was doing this part correctly.

Do I understand that SAD will be usable POST-Windows setup to add any drivers for devices that lack them? Is the proper method:

1. Complete Windows setup.
2. Insert SAD DP CD or open folder on hard drive.
3. Run DP_Install_Tool.cmd.

Please feel perfectly free to set me straight if I'm off course. If I can learn the best way to use your great Driver Packs, I will be a VERY happy camper.

Thank you ALL again from the bottom of my heart. I wish you the very best luck in all your journeys.

See y'all around.

MARK STRELECKI

Thanks you guys for the kind words - a little encoragement goes a long way.

you left out some details so i will guess...
this is XP SP2?  If so, sound drivers will not install if you dont add MS kb888111

I recomend you use the DriverPacks normaly instead of SAD since it is intended for a machine that is already installed and has all its MS updates.  Since you are doing a clean install the perfect method for you is the standard - Disc method 2 wink

We will make sure all of these types of things are done for you. just run DriverPacks BASE after you are done with nlite
(no reason to do any drivers in Nlite and that will save you Hours of work.

However, your summary is correct for a Post install senario - (this is just not the scenario you describe yourself in)

again thanks so much for your warm intro.

We are so glad you finaly posted!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

The new base looks awesome, and I made one S.A.D. disk, and so far everything appears to have worked well during my install.  The one thing that I saw a little glitch with was when switching between the different install platforms.  You receive the warning that asks you whether or not you're sure you want to switch to another platform because your settings will be lost, but if you select No from the list, the new platform bullet is still selected instead of your original platform selection.  I'll let you guys know if I find anything else, but so far everything is looking great.  Nice work guys.

Oh - i think we can call that a bug...

if you like you can take ther rare opportunity to create a bug report at the bugtracker !

Thanks for the feedback, it makes DriverPacks better!

I used the RC1 Base with the normal released drivers and had no problems.

Might I make a small suggestion?  Now that you have 3 different install methods, how about an INI for each, and have the base.ini just say which was chosen last?

Instead of or in addition, it might be nice if it backed up your old file when you made changes (e.g. sad_20080930.ini).  If nothing changed between runs there's no point in making a backup.  Back before I was proficient with DP I would make a change and forget to backup my INI first, then forget what my old WORKING settings were.

Okay, that was 2 suggestions.  I love DriverPacks.  Keep up the amazing work folks!

the old file is already backed up... wink

Uploaded new Dutch lang file to the FTP

Awsome ... Thanks Muiz

Will this work in cmdlines.txt during an install or only during GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEX?

Fly,
those are one and the same wink
\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt is the way entries are made to be executed during RunOnceEx.
GUIRunOnce requires entries in a different area but both occur during the same step in setup.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

Fly,
those are one and the same wink
\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt is the way entries are made to be executed during RunOnceEx.
GUIRunOnce requires entries in a different area but both occur during the same step in setup.

Right, but instead of using cmdlines.txt to enter RunOnceEx info, can I just run DP_Inst.cmd (or whatever its called) right there?  Basically, can SAD be run at T-13, or does it HAVE to be done at first logon?

Ooohhh, ummm, errrr.  Well, you can try it.  I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
As long as you also include the unattended switches.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I made the mistake of unzippping all the drivers and pointing BDD 2007 to the folder to add all the drivers.  If any of you happen to use BDD 2007 and are reading this, don't ever do it.  Now I can't easily get them off.  I had to write a script to press YES for every driver.

/rant

As soon as this is done, I'll report back if it works during cmdlines.txt...

yes it will work from cmdlines.txt

but why not just use DriverPacks normaly... ?

Because I'm doing winnt32 unattended installs, so the normal way won't work for me...

WHohooo! Great!

One little comment however. How about a hyperlink pointing to driverpacks.net in the "About" screen?
Me lazy ...

Will test and overload my sun virtual machine wink

Quick post not inteded to increase my post count:

Isn't SAD the same as making a CD/DVD/Folder and putting DPINST.exe in it???

You can, of course, edit your posts...

Yeah, it's kind of the same, the option was mainly added because it was requested much and it certainly is more convenient to work from the BASE GUI seeing as we already have it.

The finisher is the main difference...