Re: Choose DriverPacks during (attended) Installation

Well, nobody is interested anymore ? lol

Anyway, I'm going on vacation for three weeks Sunday, so if someone want to test it, here is it :
http://kalxp.free.fr/Addons/DPsXtrct-0.1.zip
Mirror (Thanks to sT0n3r)

It's multilingual : French & English supported. System language is detected at run time.

Screenshot:
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/669/captureriu6.th.png

I added a function to see supported devices.

DPsXtrct.ini sections :
[names] : File names associated to DriverPacks names

[names]
DPC803.7z=DriverPack Chipset 8.03
DPCP804.7z=DriverPack CPU 8.04

[checked] : pre-defined value if you want a driverpack to be checked or not. If no entry, default value is True :

[checked] 
DPGA710.7z=false

Modified presetup.cmd included.

Just put DPSDEVS.HLP DPsXtrct.exe DPsXtrct.ini in OEM folder and replace presetup.cmd in I386 by the one in zip file.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kal (2008-07-08 00:29:20)

WOW KAL fantastic work this is just what we all have been waiting for thank you so much, i am making a new xp right now so i will test this and report back asap. i actually contacted hawk (the first poster) about trying to make this project and we found (after a lot of googling) something called driverpack selector on an unattended xp called LastXP 20

i have been trying to mod/use the driverpack selector thats on lastxp v20, i just acually got it working when i found this post, the driverpack selector on lastxp is amazing, but a little messy to set up, but it does do 3rd party driver packs which i am not sure your version does (downloading yours now  1k a sec wtf) i will put up a mirror when its done.

please please carry on your great work on this project it would be great if we can have a proper official driverpack selector.

here is a screenshot of the dpselector from lastxp ( i can send you the files if you want to take a look at it )

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/4388/selectorrt6.th.jpg

thank you all driver dudes smile

and admin please make this topic a sticky smile

mirror for DPsXtrct-0.1.zip
http://uploaded.to/?id=3bnddf

Last edited by sT0n3r (2008-07-07 23:01:40)

@Kal - Unfortunately my main system is out of commission ATM, and most likely wont get a chance to test until after I get back from Vacation on the 19th. I will let you know asap after I do get a chance to test.

@sT0n3r - I have seen this before and is what inspired my original request before this thread... however, "LastXP" isn't legit, hence, it was not brought up. Furthermore, we all appreciate your willingness to help, however, please don't provide Warez or Links to Warez files....

Thanks Again,
Twig

Hi sT0n3r!

At least, someone posts to this topic big_smile
I'm glad that you like it, and I'm gonna include some changes that you suggest. Unfortunaly, I'm currently on vacation, I'll be back 27th July. So I can code quickly, but I can't test : I just have my laptop.

sT0n3r wrote:

...but it does do 3rd party driver packs which i am not sure your version does (downloading yours now  1k a sec wtf) i will put up a mirror when its done.

Well, my program does support any DriverPacks : official & 3rd party. You just need to put the DriverPack in the same directory as DPsXtrct.exe, in 8.3 name format. Then, you give a name for this DriverPack in DPsXtrct.ini, as explained above.

I want to add an option that "DriverPack selector" has : Keed The Drivers. For this, my program needs to edit DPsFnshr.ini when it's copied to %SystemDrive%, and modify "KTD" entry. To be able to do this, DPsFnshr.ini needs to be copied by my program, not by presetup.cmd. So we'll need to modify presetup.cmd to skip the copy of DPsFnshr.ini file. If my DriverPack Extractor becomes an official part of this project, then presetup.cmd won't need extra edits and DPsFnshr.ini will be generated automatically with official DriverPacks names.

Cheer,
Kal

Last edited by Kal (2008-07-08 00:12:21)

Yes, it is always sad for us to see our hard work go to waste on warez! sad
But Kal is doing good work here. smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

as your code was not written in auto it only the inspiration will make it into the base code (i will have to code it again) NP. if you have a working system in place then writing the code to duplicate it will be a breeze. Lets see how popular this is before we get a ton of hours invested in it.

If you are useing this please add your comments to this thread or the thread that will be added in 3rd party DriverPack.

I will suggest that this gets added to the third party DriverPacks forum / downloads
that way it can be made available without the nuisance of say rapid share

Thanks for your generous contributions

ps if you put your program after the copy of the finisher ini then you would only need to edit it (or overwrite it)[or not]
- IE simply move the extraction step to after the finisher step in presetup.cmd... ( I could make this change in base quite easily too. )

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Why do you want to re-write the code in AutoIT if it becomes a part of the project? I mean, we can just include the .exe in the archive, and the base code will copy it into OEM folder. Just like Un7Zip. Maybe you prefer to get all the project in AutoIT format?

OverFlow wrote:

ps if you put your program after the copy of the finisher ini then you would only need to edit it (or overwrite it)[or not]
- IE simply move the extraction step to after the finisher step in presetup.cmd... ( I could make this change in base quite easily too. )

Well, in fact, here is a part of my presetup.cmd

REM +==========================================================================+
REM |   Decompressing the DriverPacks to the harddisk - using un7zip.exe.      |
REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\DPsXtrct.exe

REM +==========================================================================+
REM |   Copying/decompressing the files to finish the installation.            |
REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
IF EXIST %SystemDrive%\D %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\*.7z %SystemDrive%\
IF EXIST %SystemDrive%\D COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\
IF EXIST %SystemDrive%\D IF EXIST %CDDRIVE%\OEM\*.ins COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\*.ins %SystemDrive%\

As you can see, I only copy DPsFnshr if there's at least one DriverPack extracted. So if I launch 'DriverPacks extractor' after copying DPsFnshr, how can I test this ?

Maybe I could delete the DPsFnshr in my program. Fo example, if the user quit the application without extracting anything, I put a dialog box asking if he wish to keep DPsFnshr or not.

Cheers,
Kal

because it may need to be updated...

IE i cant tell you how many times i wish i had the source code for our setup.exe. I am just SOL on that one.
I am not going to do to someone else what i would not want to be done to me. ( and it has been and i hate it )
If I include something with base then the source code for it will be available to the code team, period.
   ( Wim can of course do as he pleases wink )
We have no intention of useing more than one language to code DriverPacks.
You and I might both get hit by a truck on the same day wink

for many reasons... is the reason smile

yes yes yes... yes and yep.

wouldnt even need a dialog if they select no packs ther is nothing for the finisher to do...
no reason to keep it - so no reason to bother asking...

-------------------------- more

It is quite a bit easier to add it to base than to start from zero and duplicate the many functions that are already included with our programs (75% of it already exists as subroutines)

For example - converting 8.3 pack names to thier full names is an existing function that is built into the code 
You are useing a data file for this. So i would not need to do that i would just call the routine wink .
this automates a now manual process and eliminates an unneccessary file.
by extension there is no need for you to write a routine to do this since we have one.
I cant give you code bytes or subroutines to use because you did not take the bait when i offered AutoIt as your starting point.

What you have works. It is simple and effective. that is great!

Let's see if what you have already put here generates any interest before you or I sink a bunch of time into it.

If it IS popular then I will make it a feature,

I can add the features you are suggesting with a lot less trouble / code than it would take for you. especially like the pack names and finisher pathing type of stuff that we have existing code for.

It also adds fuel to the attended setup as a supported platform as well. That has become a more popular request but still not a top ten item.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OK i have Fully tested this DPsXtrct-0.1.zip on diffrent setups now pc,vmware,laptop and it works perfect 100% no problems if you choose 1, all or any of the packs

1 small bug i have found is if you install driverpacks using the option to start the driverpack finisher on guirunonce or runonce and select/highlight no drivers in DPXtract and just close the DPXtract. at the end of the install you get a "windows cannot find DPsFnshr.exe" this is because i am sure you know this. when you install driverpacks it mods your WINNT.SIF and adds this:
  command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

so you would need to remove this command if no drivers are selected (i am sure theres an easy fix)

i really cant thank you enough Kal for making this, it is so easy to use,  like you say "drop the files into oem folder, replace presetup.cmd and edit the ini to suit your needs", the ini is very simple and easy to understand and is fully setup ready for the latest driverpacks without any editing, and as you said it does work with 3rd party driverpacks i only had to edit the ini file took around 1 min and it all worked how it should, i really like it being on a 1min timer so its unattended if needed or with a click of the mouse or keyboard the timer stops and you can select what you need... perfect..

a "keep drivers" option would be nice like you said  but is really not essential for me.

i think it would be a great idea if the driverpacks guys could include some kinda option when installing driverpacks just like

Option

Select how to unpack drivers

. Automattic
. Using DriverPack Xtract

and the modded presetup.cmd could get auto copied to the right folder
maybe you guys could expand on this idea and get an it to generate the ini file needed by DPXtract

really nice work anyways for ver0.1 smile i think this will halp a lot of people out and saved me hours of work

Last edited by sT0n3r (2008-07-09 15:10:44)

OverFlow wrote:

because it may need to be updated...

IE i cant tell you how many times i wish i had the source code for our setup.exe. I am just SOL on that one.
I am not going to do to someone else what i would not want to be done to me. ( and it has been and i hate it )
If I include something with base then the source code for it will be available to the code team, period.
   ( Wim can of course do as he pleases wink )
We have no intention of useing more than one language to code DriverPacks.
You and I might both get hit by a truck on the same day wink

for many reasons... is the reason smile

Sure, I will publish the source code when I'll be back from vacation. I will cleanup the code and put GPL header. But, IF it becomes a part of DP base, maybe you can let it in Delphi and I'll do the updates needed wink
Well, we're not yet at this stage, I don't care if it's written in Delphi or AutoIt, I'm just afraid that some functions are not avalaible in AutoIt. I used Delphi because I couldn't find a great gui builder for AutoIt.

OverFlow wrote:

wouldnt even need a dialog if they select no packs ther is nothing for the finisher to do...
no reason to keep it - so no reason to bother asking...

Well, as sT0n3r pointed it out, if we remove the finisher, then we will have an error when RunOnceEx/GuiRunOnce/WPI will launch it becomes it won't be present in %SystemDrive%. One solution would be to launch finisher from a .cmd, something like that :

DPsFnshr.cmd

@echo off

:: Run DriverPack finisher ...
IF EXIST "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe" start "DPsFnshr" /wait "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

del /Q "%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.cmd"
OverFlow wrote:

For example - converting 8.3 pack names to thier full names is an existing function that is built into the code 
You are useing a data file for this. So i would not need to do that i would just call the routine wink .
this automates a now manual process and eliminates an unneccessary file.
by extension there is no need for you to write a routine to do this since we have one.
I cant give you code bytes or subroutines to use because you did not take the bait when i offered AutoIt as your starting point.

Well, maybe my explications was confused, but DriverPacks Extractor doesn't convert to 8.3 format. I just say that when someone use a 3rd party DriverPacks, he needs to put it in OEM folder in 8.3 format and modify DPsXtrct.ini.

OverFlow wrote:

What you have works. It is simple and effective. that is great!

Let's see if what you have already put here generates any interest before you or I sink a bunch of time into it.

If it IS popular then I will make it a feature,

Thank you smile
To become popular, maybe we need to move this thread to a place where there's more visitors, or make an announcement or something like that. I don't mind if it's popular or not, I just made this to suit my needs and fill request from others in the thread.

@sT0n3r:
I'm really glad that it worked like a charm for you! It's good news. The bug you found will be solved by the trick I explained above. But it will requires extra files edit...

I will add the Keep The Drivers option when I'll be back smile

To conclude, Sardena is bellisima lol

Cheers,
Kal

I think you misunderstoood...

re  DPsXtrct.ini.

would not be required DriverPacks has a routine that converts the 8.3 names back into thier full names so  DPsXtrct.ini is not needed as it can be replaced by a built in process. (no manual file edits)

I am not going to be testing this if this does not add choice for third party and then separate third party.
(and it also has to work in M1.)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

OverFlow wrote:

I think you misunderstoood...

re  DPsXtrct.ini.

would not be required DriverPacks has a routine that converts the 8.3 names back into thier full names so  DPsXtrct.ini is not needed as it can be replaced by a built in process. (no manual file edits)

Ah ok that's a nice a feature. But it would be still needed for personal 3rd party DP, wouldn't it?

Jaak wrote:

I am not going to be testing this if this does not add choice for third party and then separate third party.
(and it also has to work in M1.)

Hu, I think I don't understand what you mean. We can use 3rd party DP with it. And what is M1?

Cheers,
Kal

no third party are kept track of too. (base creates a txt file that contains the original name when it renames them during the slipstream) wink

This absolutely won't work with M1 because presetup.cmd is not used -
jaak is correct this will not work with M1 -  but m1 is not very popular anymore either so it is only a minor flaw.

OMG! Someone made it!
Big THX M8.
Sorry, was away for a while so i couln´t help u testing it but i think St0n3r did it.
So again thank u and thanks to me that i started the thread. wink

Nice work. Works great.

my suggestion for the problem if no drivers are extracted in presetup is...
If nothing extracted then DevPath can't be lauched either.

check if the folder "D" exist. if so run DevPath. if not then don't run it...
IF EXIST %SystemDrive%\D\ %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DevPath.exe %SystemDrive%\D

If folder "D" does not exist the just create the folder...
IF not EXIST %SystemDrive%\D\ md %SystemDrive%\D

That way you still run DPsFnshr without error and you don't need extra batch files or need to modify winnt.sif.

presetup.cmd
http://www.mediafire.com/?wv92kg9czoj

:EDIT:
I've managed to code my own version of a driver Selector. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the auto install if no user interaction part, which important.
I will post it when finished.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-21 18:05:47)

Hi jaws1975,

I will publish the code of my DriverPacks extractor. I just wait to be back from vacation (27th July) and cleanup the code. Maybe you should wait a bit and modify the code I will publish, avoiding to get 2 differents versions doing the same thing.

Kal

Last edited by Kal (2008-07-21 21:04:43)

Kal wrote:

Hi jaws1975,

I will publish the code of my DriverPacks extractor. I just wait to be back from vacation (27th July) and cleanup the code. Maybe you should wait a bit and modify the code I will publish, avoiding to get 2 differents versions doing the same thing.

Kal

I agree.

I really just want to see if I could do it. I figured out the timer thing "on paper". I can't test it yet though.

If you launch mine from presetup with the parameter "presetup" it works like yours. Extraction only.
If launched via double click it will extract and then launch dpinst.exe to install the drivers.

All works perfect but the onMouseOver/Move timer.

I'm building mine more as a learning experience then anything else.

Driver Updater v0.2.0 (first public release)

This looks similar to the one released by Kal. I created it mainly to see if I could. I think it works great.
If double clicked it has the function of extracting and then installing the drivers. It uses dpinst.exe, a Microsoft program for the install.
If launched from presetup.cmd then it will extract only. It will timeout after 60 seconds (presetup only) if no interaction and extract all drivers.
When launching from presetup the parameter "presetup" needs to be passed to tell it not to install the drivers but to extract them only. Windows install will install the drivers. I included presetup.cmd to replace the one in your i386 folder. Please use it to eliminate error.
The other files needed are included mainly to show there intended location. Note dpinst.xml is not needed as it is created by DriverUpdater.exe.
No .ini file is needed as the OEM folder is scanned for existing driverpacks. They can be named using the long or short names.

After DPsFnshr.exe runs it is deleted and the reg entry deleted as well.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4593/capturega5.th.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?tcldg3l3ulv

edit updated to v0.2.1. fixed minor bug that if no driverpacks the install button is grayed out.
edit updated to v0.2.2 changed- you can install some driverpacks and then install more without having to reopen the app. dialog if no driverpacks. also a few tweaks with checkboxes.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-24 14:04:10)

Ok, seeing as this thread is not so much a request anymore but rather offering the once requested features, I'm going to move it to the Software Forum, as I see it fit in there much better.
Also, both your effords should not be in vain so I am granting this a sticky! smile

It surely will help a lot of users with specific installations.

EDIT: Also, the first post will need some cleanup so new users can easily find those programmes you linked to and aren't being confused by what still looks like a request thread wink

Unfortunately, I can only delete or edit posts, not split them off the thread.
So, either I ditch Hawk's post putting my own content in or I delete all posts that still deal with the request...
Ideas?

Anyway, Kal, are you the same guy who posted that big pack AddOn over at Wincert.net?
Nice to see you contributing over here, too! smile

Hi Helmi,

Thanks for making this thread sticky and moving it into the proper section. I thinkg that each post dealing with the request should be deleted, but it's just my opinion. Moreover, to avoid confusion for new user, we should stay with one program to make this task. As I said, I'll publish my code as soon as I'm back from vacation, so jaws will be able to include his modifications, or I will add them by myself.

And yes Helmi, I'm Kal from WinCert and RyanVM forums smile

Alright, then I'd say you both get into contact to get things together.
Then, you can post a new thread which will serve as a basis for downloads and possible discussions which I can stick.
Better than cleaning this one up I guess.
A fresh start is always preferred, plus, I do not really trust this Forum software that much to dare any greater editing sessions wink

Oh, I'm also Helmi over there, in case you haven't guessed yet wink

I do agree with what you are saying Kal, however, for the end user there is no real difference between me submitting a modified version of your code or my own. They look closely enough to each other to be easy to figure out.
I think if I were to modify yours or you implement my changes then it should be renamed. DPsXtrct.exe is fine for presetup mode extraction only but for installing drivers a descriptive app name to double click is much better. IMHO

After review of your source I will make my decision on whether to abandon mine or not. I will post my source code soon as well.

Helmi, I think you should delete the first 25 post in this thread and start with Kal's first submission.

honestly I think two different apps doing similar things ain't that bad. Why make someone use Firefox when they like Opera instead or vise-versa.
Viva la difference!

also I updated mine to v0.2.2 above.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-24 14:42:09)

we might trim this thread back into a request in Feat Req and link to a new topic here in Software.

we might also start with a good title like
"[Add-on] Select desired DriverPacks from Pop-up Menu list with a time-out feature (M2 only)"

A good Intro sentence like - Ever wished you could skip one or more of the packs during the install (or repair) on a particular machine?

Summarize the Why you Want / Like / Need and invested your personal time in this idea.

How to use and where to get

a reverse link back to the Feature Req topic here so we can keep track of interest in this potential feature.
Features are obviously prioritized by feedback so if we want this to make my to do list... rally the troups wink

PS since this would be a sub feature of attended installs (AKA 'repair' ) it is also a vote for that platform being added as well  wink

update
Driver Updater v0.2.3

fixes a bug with read-only attributes if run from CD.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vbgnljezewh

edit:
I created a new topic and updated to v0.3.0 here...
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 652#p22652

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-28 07:57:52)