Re: "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" when DriverPacks used

@Houz74: It is official XP directly from CD. Tested many many many many many many time as a standalone and with nLite tweaks +RyanVM +previous DP's ALLWAYS OK.

@ Bâshrat: I tested with the previous BTS_DriverPacks_BASE_V6034 as well as Chipset 6.0.31 on a VMware Virtual Machine and got a roughly same blue screen error see here bellow.
This time it's not "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA". May you tell me what it could be???

Regards
coucou
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6/setupddpp6.jpg

Your RAM. Test it with mem86+ and let it run the complete test for at least a couple of hours. I've seen the same problem in the past.

Are you really sure that it does work when you're not using the DriverPacks?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

Your RAM. Test it with mem86+ and let it run the complete test for at least a couple of hours. I've seen the same problem in the past.

Is it a DOS tool???

YES I do

Regards
coucou

There are CD images as well. Just google for it wink

www.memtest.org for Memtest 86+

http://ultimatebootcd.com/ very useful for all kinds of hardware checks, also includes Memtest 86+, so you only have to get this, really.

I've tested my RAM with mem86+ and let it run the complete test for (3 pass) 4 hours... NO errors.
I don't know what else to do sad
coucou

While this shows us there doesn't seem to be a defect that easily lets the RAM fail (I once tested one stick that would produce errors in a row faster than you could count them!), if you really want to make sure, you should at least run the test for 24 hours.

I have the same problem like coucou with "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA", and it can be, as I've tested, a graphic driver problem, my Video Adapter    is NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000  (128 MB), I have no other Video Card to test, so this is only my opinion.
I've never used NLite, I prefer /integrate key and WMI or RunOnceEx to install my programs.
Thanks, Bâshrat the Sneaky, for your HUGE job, and I'm waiting for solution to this nasty problem smile
P.S. Soory for my English...
P.P.S. I can't update Windows from 06.2006, I went into similar problem, maybe this can help you!!!

Last edited by sunb0rn (2006-08-04 06:50:11)

In my both computers my graphic board is ATI, ill try later w/o DP_Graphic's, unless Bashrat could upload DriverPack_Graphics_A_V603

Regards
coucou

coucou wrote:

In my both computers my graphic board is ATI, ill try later w/o DP_Graphic's, unless Bashrat could upload DriverPack_Graphics_A_V603

Regards
coucou

I told you you could use the current DriverPack Graphics wink It's compatible.

@sunb0rn: I tested w/o DP_Graphics_A... same problem

@Bâshrat:

Right now, I tested again my WinXP_Pro_VLM on a VMware Virtual Machine w/o nLite, RyanVM neither yr DP's... Insatllation works fine.
Then I applied ONLY DriverPacks (w/o Graphics_A)... the problem reappear (see the first image here above).

Regards
coucou

Then I guess there's a bug in the driver that causes it to write to a wrong memory address, which could cause this problem. My only suggestion is to use an older driver... I can't do anything to fix it.

i think it has something to do with WINNT.SIF i spend the whole day to track the error down and found something. all drivers sleepstreamed, written entries in winnt.sif = error. all drivers sleepstreamed + winnt.sif without pnpdrv = ok. i remembered that sometimes i've got entries with many quotes like this D\C;D\B;;;;;  now, i'm cleaning up quotes and gonna test it.

the problem is in WINNT.SIF. maybe it has something to do with WINNT.SIF limitations. i integrated all the packs including 3rd party, and got blue screen. then i removed PNPDrivers paths in WINNT.SIF and no blue screen.

mickmack wrote:

the problem is in WINNT.SIF. maybe it has something to do with WINNT.SIF limitations. i integrated all the packs including 3rd party, and got blue screen. then i removed PNPDrivers paths in WINNT.SIF and no blue screen.

That's not a valid conclusion. You assume that the cause lies in the very method that is used that allows setup to install drivers. Or more specific: you think it's caused by the way the DriverPack Sound B has applied that method.

Drivers are still being loaded correctly: else you'd have gotten an error about an invalid line in the winnt.sif file. It really is a driver conflict, or a driver that is failing (although that is very unlikely).

EDIT: after searching for '0x8e bsod setupdd.sys' it seems that the best hits even refer to the old DriverPacks forum at MSFN.org tongue One was due to a corrupted CD/ISO, one was due to 'an error in my process of creating the multibootDisc' and the last one was due to faulty RAM.

According to KB315335, it has GOT to be your RAM. So please put some other RAM sticks in it, even if only temporary. This is the resolution, according to Microsoft:

RESOLUTION
To troubleshoot this behavior, follow these steps:
1.    Remove some of the memory modules that are installed on the computer. Leave at least the RAM that is required for the computer to start and run Windows XP.

The recommended RAM to run Windows XP is 128 megabytes (MB). The minimum is 64 MB, and the maximum is 4 gigabytes.

For example, if two 256-MB memory modules are installed on your computer, remove one of the memory modules.
2.    Restart your computer, and then run the Setup program:
a.    Insert the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then click OK to select the first option screen to install a copy of Windows XP.
b.    Click Accept, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP installation.
3.    If you again receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, go to step 4.
4.    Remove a different memory module, or install the RAM in a different memory slot.
5.    Restart your computer, and then rerun Setup.

You may have to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory modules that are not working correctly.

I'm sorry, but there isn't much I can do about this!

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-08-08 00:04:08)

ok. i have G-Skill DDR500 which is working at 520 and i never had a pboblem. last night i spend on changing slots, changing memory, underclocking memory, and testing, testing, testing. so my conclusion after all is that if WINNT.SIF with all integrated drivers is in I386 folder, setup fails, if i remove PNPDRV lines, setup is ok. i don't have a clue what could it be? and why.

mickmack wrote:

ok. i have G-Skill DDR500 which is working at 520 and i never had a pboblem. last night i spend on changing slots, changing memory, underclocking memory, and testing, testing, testing. so my conclusion after all is that if WINNT.SIF with all integrated drivers is in I386 folder, setup fails, if i remove PNPDRV lines, setup is ok. i don't have a clue what could it be? and why.

Well, if it DOES work when you use method 2, then you'd have convinced me half the way... so just try method 2 as DriverPacks Method and then let uw know if it worked.

P.S.: you speak Russian and you live in Antwerp??? tongue

i prefer method 1, but i will use it temporarily. but i just wanted to find uot why it happens.

P.S yup. russian community in Antwerp is big. welcome to the russian disko in antwerp on 26th august. wink

Last edited by mickmack (2006-08-08 00:55:43)

I have done a bit of testing with creating Method 1 sources, but not running them as I never use Method 1 personally.  What I have found is that when using all of the official DriverPacks and some of the more common and stable unofficial DriverPacks, the OemPnPDriversPath often exceeds 7,000 characters.  This is obviously well above and beyond the 4,096 character limit.

In the past, when I did use Method 1 from time to time, I had run into circumstances where it would be around 5,200 characters.  I never had a blue screen as a result, but I did have some devices which did not install.  When I looked into why they did not, sure enough, their directory listings were past the 4,096 mark in the OemPnPDriversPath.

I must say that I haven't checked it again, but the last time I checked was when all current official DriverPacks already existed, and then I was somewhere around 2500 characters. I cannot believe it has doubled since then, but I'll run a test to be sure. It's so obvious, but I didn't think of adding a length check.. due to that 2500-char test I just described. If you add 3pdps, then it won't be hard to cross that limit, so yes, that check has definetely become a necessity.

I've submitted it as a feature request to the bugtracker: feature request #123.

Hi all,

Finally, i solved the blue screen problem. It was the 3rd Party DriverPack_Monitor_1.7.2 at fault.
1000 appolgies to Bashrat.

As Bashrat suggested, i slipstreamed (Method 1) all DP's one by one.
I must say that all the Official Bashrat DP's (DP_CPU_6.05, DP_Chipset 6.031* (not the latest), DP_Graphics_A_6.06,  DP_Graphics_B_6.03,  DP_Graphics_A_6.03, DP_LAN_6.05.1, DP_MassStorage_6.03.1, DP_Sound_A_6.06.1,  DP_Sound_B_6.06 and DP_WLAN_6.05) works just fine.
i slipstremed also the 3rd Party DriverPack Modem V1.8.5 and DriverPack TV 1.8.2 with success

All the above DP's was sliptreamed with DP_BASE_6.034 (not the latest) because errors when they're slipstreamed with 6.06.1 (see error details here DriverPack Modem V1.8.5 released and DriverPack TV 1.8.2 released). Hope Bashrat could solve that problem.

*DP_Chipset6.05 can't be slipstremed by DP_BASE_6.034

3rd Party DP_WB_wnt5_x86-32_1.0\D\WB\C\17\readme.txt gives Cabinet Maker (MakeCab.exe) error

@RogueSpear: the actual OemPnPDriversPath is 6,192 characters

Regards
coucou

Glad it's solved, coucou smile

And your OemPnPDriversPath is TOO long then. All entries listed after the 4096th character will not be processed. (Most likely DriverPack Sound and WLAN entries). You may want to use method 2...

Hi Bâshrat,

But you NOT recommand using Method 2 with the NON GUI DP_BASE_6.034. Isn't it?
Because i intersted by slipstreaming DriverPack Modem V1.8.5 and DriverPack TV 1.8.2 which are not possible with the latest DP_BASE_6.061 sad

BTW, can't connect to the bugtracker: feature request #123. It asking for alogin+pass

Regards
coucou

When did I recommend method 1 over 2? I always recommend method 2.

And yes, you must register at the bugtracker too... I will merge the user accounts, but don't have the time to do that yet....

When did I recommend method 1 over 2? I always recommend method 2.

Oooooops, I think i red that somwhere in MSFN.
What do you recommand about KTD, enable or disable???

and finally what about the errors regarding DriverPack Modem V1.8.5and DriverPack TV 1.8.2 (see here bellow image)?
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3062/bashraterrornq7.jpg

Regards
coucou