Re: Drivers Pack Unpacker & Installer by Warm Snow

only 7z files presenting in available DP list (thanks ZaV)

- it means that only 7zip files , from all available files in driver packs directory, will be added to the list of DP. It is useful then you are working with OEMDRV (or any other) folder. And this is only cosmetic fix.

If you working from CD/DVD & wants to work with relative paths. pls use dp_wsed.ini.rel template. Just rename it to the dp_wsed.ini , and change CMDPackDir=..\OEMDRV\ parameter to the folder you need.

OOOOOh --I think I get it---from drivers.7z on cd/dvd only required drivers for specific installation are extracted to temporary working directory and from there all required drivers are installed ---is my understanding  correct??

Not only from CD/DVD. You can do manual installation by HWIDs.

Added new feature - search-unpack  & install drivers by HWID-s.
1.Select DP for search in.
2.Go to HWID - page .
3.Press Search by HWIDs
4.Select HWID to install & press Install By HWIDs.

Also you can use DPInstaller_WSED.exe  /unth - this parameter will start Unattended installation of DP by HWIDs

Hope it will help you & thanks for feedback.

First of all sorry for my ignorance! but I'm nearly there
Everything works fine using drivers.7z but if I have already extracted manually the drives to ..\dp the program does not work on pressing button "SearchbyHWIDS"  requests "Press "show driver packs" button first or add driver pack files to dp folder" It seems to me that it is only looking for packed drivers and not upacked drivers which already exist!
Again sorry for my misunderstanding
Smbs

First of all sorry for my ignorance! but I'm nearly there
Everything works fine using drivers.7z but if I have already extracted manually the drives to ..\dp the program does not work on pressing button "SearchbyHWIDS"  requests "Press "show driver packs" button first or add driver pack files to dp folder" It seems to me that it is only looking for packed drivers and not upacked drivers which already exist!
Again sorry for my misunderstanding
Smbs

If you want to work with unpacked drivers, then put them to %windir%dp_wsed folder. Only 7zip files need to be copied to the DP folder.

Fine--- now I understand!
Great script  saves so much time
Keep the good work up!
Smbs

NEW BETA VERSION

ver. 2.2.1.2 Beta6
#01-06-2008#
=====================================================================
+ new Tab (HWIDs-extended) added
//here you can find more detailed info about equipment installed in your system
//files used by drivers, inf- file location etc.
+ HWIDs export/import to XML file (HWIDs-extended tab)
//xml located in %windir%\dp_wsed\Dpiwsed.xml
+ Some GUI changes
* some minor & small fixes

Download here relize2212full.7z or relize2221onlychanged.7z

Awesome program.  Works great for me thus far.  Any updates available yet?

mobius wrote:

Awesome program.  Works great for me thus far.  Any updates available yet?

Just out of curiosity:
Why would you need an update when the programm works flawlessly?
smile

maybe we should tack a new number on it and update the post changelog...

ChangeLog: Version number updated...

LOL

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hehe, I remeber that from a changelog of some MS programme (could have even been SP3) which stated that among the changes to follow the very first was:
"increased version number to ###"

That definately shows how they weighted its importance! big_smile

Very cool app. Was just going to ask if anything like this existed.

I have a laptop with no CD player and this saved me. You rock! Swapping harddrives to another laptop, installing xp, and disabling certain drivers and then swapping harddrives back was just NOT working (anyone know a good way of doing that?? I seemed so close, yet so far)

Next, can I format a USB Flash Drive to appear as a USB DVD bootable drive? Then I can place this on it and simply add DPacks as needed (and other tools) (well, not quite, but this relates to this).

Also, minor suggestion, a 1 button unzipper and installer. Add as a third/fourth option under the unpack drop down. This will make things even simpler.

Oh, and a slight side question. Is there a way for XP's driver search installer to search sub folders? (like Vista does) Is there a reg edit to the path folders I can do? Wildcards? Maybe a simple program?

mINDsELFiNDULGE wrote:

I have a laptop with no CD player and this saved me. You rock! Swapping harddrives to another laptop, installing xp, and disabling certain drivers and then swapping harddrives back was just NOT working (anyone know a good way of doing that?? I seemed so close, yet so far)

Nah, only thing you could do is either make a Sysprep (search the forum for the term) or install on the other machine only so far as to the first reboot (where it has copied all the files from the CD, yet not installed any non-generic drivers), then shut it down and swap HDDs.
That may work if the HAL is identical (was it also a laptop?)

Next, can I format a USB Flash Drive to appear as a USB DVD bootable drive? Then I can place this on it and simply add DPacks as needed (and other tools) (well, not quite, but this relates to this).

Yeah, that works, if the BIOS supports it.
I think the wiki for the EEE PC has a guide to this, google for it.
You could also buy a IDE/SATA to USB adaptor and connect a generic ODD to it.
Things cost like $15 maybe.

Oh, and a slight side question. Is there a way for XP's driver search installer to search sub folders? (like Vista does) Is there a reg edit to the path folders I can do? Wildcards? Maybe a simple program?

XP does search all folders for drivers if they are on an optical medium, but not if they are on a HDD.
KTD will index the DP drive folders so that XP will search them all recursively.
You could put them onto an ISO and mount with DeamonTools if you still want to keep in on a HDD...

Thanks! My goal, my main ideal is no Optical media, only flash drives.

Helmi wrote:
mINDsELFiNDULGE wrote:

Nah, only thing you could do is either make a Sysprep (search the forum for the term) or install on the other machine only so far as to the first reboot (where it has copied all the files from the CD, yet not installed any non-generic drivers), then shut it down and swap HDDs.
That may work if the HAL is identical (was it also a laptop?)

I was looking into Sysprepping, but it looked like more work than I had time for at the time to be sure I got all the variables right.

After the first reboot? Sounds like something to try.

Is the HAL, CPU, and BIOS causing this problem for me? It was from a CDless mini old HP lappy, and I was doing a generic install on a Dell 600m. I also have a super old Sony (Win98) with a like 8 inch screen and built in webcam, that I'll be trying this on (no CD).

Is there perhaps a registry entry I can sabotage so all devices get reinstalled on a reboot? I heard Win9* had that possibility. Some device index entry?

Yeah, that works, if the BIOS supports it.
I think the wiki for the EEE PC has a guide to this, google for it.
You could also buy a IDE/SATA to USB adaptor and connect a generic ODD to it.
Things cost like $15 maybe.

The eee PC flash guide was actually what I was using. smile But I'm not sure this counts as a bootable CD drive? I think there are BIOSes that support a USB CD player as bootable, but not necessarily a USB Flash? Am I wrong?

I know there are side USB Floppy drives too, but I wasn't aware that the BIOS boot order needs to support a "USB Device" to use those side floppies. My ideal is to never need a CD/DVD/Floppy again and only ever use flash/thumb drives.

XP does search all folders for drivers if they are on an optical medium, but not if they are on a HDD.
KTD will index the DP drive folders so that XP will search them all recursively.
You could put them onto an ISO and mount with DeamonTools if you still want to keep in on a HDD...

I was hoping there was a way to fool the driver installer into thinking it's always searching "removable media"? Ideally a reg file that would turn this on, and a second one that would turn this off.

KTD?

I know about the iso method, but I guess I just want to just have a way to drop files into a folder structure with no recompressing by me (ISO) or ever using a disc again, or installing any installer needed programs.

In the end, and I know I'll probably not get it, but my ideal is a flash drive (FOREVER banishing CDs/DVDs), with several OSes on a boot menu (All Vistas and XPs), that can be booted from a BIOS that only has the option as booting from limited sources. If needed I'd just go with several small flash drives (they're cheap enough now to consider this IMO, no more need to burn CDs/DVDs) for each flavor.

BTW, 1 more suggestion for the program. A 1 button press that would autoselect all packs, unpack them, and autoinstall them.

Last edited by mINDsELFiNDULGE (2008-08-01 09:33:49)

mINDsELFiNDULGE wrote:

Is there perhaps a registry entry I can sabotage so all devices get reinstalled on a reboot? I heard Win9* had that possibility. Some device index entry?

Dunno, but that would still require the HAL to be the same as you cannot reinitialize that.
Then again, 9x is pretty much totally different from NT in so many things there's no reason to compare.

The eee PC flash guide was actually what I was using. smile But I'm not sure this counts as a bootable CD drive? I think there are BIOSes that support a USB CD player as bootable, but not necessarily a USB Flash? Am I wrong?

Yeah, this is why I said, if the BIOS supports it.
IDK whether a "true" USB ODD will appear different to the BIOS than a flash drive, but if you cannot boot from USB at all (no option present), you may be at a dead end.
Never done that myself, though, so no guarantees on anything wink

I know there are side USB Floppy drives too, but I wasn't aware that the BIOS boot order needs to support a "USB Device" to use those side floppies.

I'd think so, because it is being adressed via the US-Bus rather than the floppy bus.

My ideal is to never need a CD/DVD/Floppy again and only ever use flash/thumb drives.

That definately would be preferred.

I was hoping there was a way to fool the driver installer into thinking it's always searching "removable media"? Ideally a reg file that would turn this on, and a second one that would turn this off.

Yeah, dunno, there's this option to always search WindowsUpdate, so maybe it's possible.

KTD?

Keep the Drivers, it'S a BASE option (please read the description there or refer to the FAQ on this forum (see sig).

RE BTW, 1 more suggestion for the program. A 1 button press that would autoselect all packs, unpack them, and autoinstall them.

please see the FAQ topics for SAD disk... wink

We offer that already wink

BartPE can be used to boot from a usb HDD or memory stick if the gios supports usb boot devices.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

hi ... it's been some time i've used the driverpacsk ... and this topic and SAD Disk has very much answered my wish for DP since 2006!

My target is to create a DP only disc *without* any XP source. Just plain driver disc generated from DriverPacks here.

I'm a bit confused on 2 things:

1) WsnoW's cool app:

a) I'm using release2212-full.
  b) copied all latest DriverPacks and put into 'dp' folder in your app location.
  c) started DPInstaller_WSED.exe.
  d) There are 2 unpack options: What are the differences between both?
  e) I've tried both options, both options unpacked all DriverPacks to %windir%dp_wsed.
  f) Should I copy all %windir%dp_wsed content and burn to CD/DVD or just the main app folder (with all the compressed DriverPacks)?

2) OverFlow's SAD disc

a) This new SAD disc only works with XP source?
  b) Can it work *without* an XP source; similar to WsnoW's approach?

yes the sad disk can be created without a source OS as long as you dont want cab compression.

if you require cab compression you will need 2k 2k3 or xp OS to trigger base into doing the cabbing
I will probably add the abblity to create a SAD disk from base as an option / platform. it seems to be a popular feature.

a sad disk will work on 2000 XP or 2003

hi OverFlow,

I use DPs_BASE, but it keeps asking for a source to continue. Else, the 'Settings' option keeps asking for a source location.

Am I missing something?

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2264

read teh first and last post and let me know if you have any questions

pay particular attention to the section titled DVD directions.

hi OverFlow,

I roughly understand now .. it's a tad manual, but works nonetheless.

I have one suggestion: In SAD's thread, maybe the instructions are arranged so that it has a flow to it. No offence to you, but the guide is one giant block of text and confuses the reader wink

anyway, thanks to you and WsnoW for this good alternative to use DriverPacks as a drivers disc.

I do apologize... i am a programer not a writer...

would you like to take a crack at making it clean and easy to read?

I would welcome the help!

jeff

Hi ! WsnoW .

I would like to install drivePackage with your installer. It is great.
How do I to 'pre-set' the  steps to select all ,unpackDp (either method 1 or method 2) like yes to auto-install in the .ini file?   Is it possble   ???  How ???

most case:

select all packages  and
method 2

Here is my dp_wsed.ini

-------------------------------------------
[Program]
Initial=yes
Start From=Non CD
AppMainPath=C:\drivers\DPInstaller_WSED.exe
Workdir=C:\WINDOWS\dp_wsed\
Windir=C:\WINDOWS
CMDPackDir=C:\drivers\Dp\
[DP_Options]
DPExternal=no
DPExternalDir=C:\drivers\Dp\
[Automation]
AutoDPInstall=yes
-------------------------------------------

I have to manully press 'select all' (select all packages)  and unpack_dp method 2..
  Of course it works fine in this manner.

It calls DPInstaller_WSED.exe in the RunOceEx.cmd  from C-disk for UA(xp).

I would like it post-install DP automatically for UA (XP) with yours.

1. Is it possible to call DPInstaller_WSED.exe in the RunOceEx.cmd  from C-disk for UA(xp) ?
2. If  yes, what what should I modify  dp_wsed.ini to do it ???

Hi all.
Exuse me for a long absence.

@ swbchen

for auto - install you can use command line parameters

DPInstaller_WSED.exe  /untd - will unpack all packages then install.
Also you can use DPInstaller_WSED.exe  /unth - this parameter will start Unattended installation of DP by HWIDs

Hi , WsnoW !

thank you!

this will include the unpack_dp method 2 (sticky with method 2, work only for me)??

Except the command line with the required parameter, can I just change the any line in the *.ini  file to do the same thing ???

Last edited by swbchen (2008-09-16 18:29:08)

this will include the unpack_dp method 2 (sticky with method 2, work only for me)??

Yes.

Except the command line with the required parameter, can I just change the any line in the *.ini  file to do the same thing ???

No. Right now it is the only way.

regadrs

There is no difference wiith or without /untd or /nnth from RunOnceEx.cmd.

here is the command in RunOnceEx.cmd

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Drivers Installation" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "c:\drivers\DPInstaller_WSED.exe /unth" /f

what's wrong ???