Topic: Installing SysPrep with the DriverPacks

Hello I am using Sysprep to prepare computer systems for our new employers after this I make a backup of the system before the system restarts. No I have had all the time the problem that, why we have a lot of different models of ibm computer and notebooks. Like Laptop X31 X42 X61 and so on.

So now after the new Version of DriverPacks Base 8.05 release. I start using this .

I loaded all Driver Packs and include them.

My Settings ini look like that:

Settings.ini wrote:

[General]
; preferred language
prefLang    = "English"
; yes/no, enable or disable the wizard-style buttons, if not specified: yes
wizardButtons    = "yes"
; yes/no, enable or disable the GUI, if not specified: yes
GUI        = "yes"

[Settings]
; disc/bartpe/multibootDisc
instPlatform    = "disc"
; trailing backslash is allowed, but not necessary
location    = "U:\Projekte\Unattended\Windows\V 0.1d\SysPrep"
; none/all/select, if select, specify them below, if not specified: all
DriverPacks    = "select"
; 1/2, method to install the DriverPacks, if not specified: 2
DPsMethod    = "2"
; GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEx/custom, if not specified: GUIRunOnce
finisherMethod    = "GUIRunOnce"

; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettings]
; none/all/select/paths/patterns, enable or disable Keep The Drivers (KTD) , if not specified: none
KTD        = "false"
; <path>, to specify a custom KTD cache location, if not specified: default (%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks)
KTDlocation    = "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
; yes/no, enable or disable QuickStream Cache (QSC), if not specified: yes
QSC        = "yes"

; you should only add this section if you've set [Settings]\DriverPacks to "select"
[SelectDriverPacks]
DP_Chipset    = "yes"
DP_CPU        = "yes"
DP_Graphics_A    = "yes"
DP_Graphics_B    = "yes"
DP_Graphics_C    = "yes"
DP_LAN        = "yes"
DP_MassStorage    = "yes"
DP_Sound_A    = "yes"
DP_Sound_B    = "yes"
DP_WLAN        = "yes"
DP_MassStorage_textmode = "yes"

; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettingsOther]
; CCC/CCP, use ATI Catalyst Control Center or ATI Catalyst Control Panel (only relevant when slipstreaming DriverPack Graphics A)
ATI_cpl        = "CCP"

Sysprep.inf wrote:

[GUIRunOnce]

command9="%systemdrive%\OEM\DP_Install_Tool.cmd"

But the problem is that at the moment no drivers shout not be install after opening the DP_Install_Tool.cmd, they will be all extracted an after this it comes a error reporting "DPinst.exe" not found or so this could be happen because in the DP_Install_Tool.cmd aren't the backslashes behind

COPY DPINST.exe %SystemDrive%
COPY DPInst.xml %SystemDrive%

But i don't know if this is the problem so may some of you can help me.

regards
raul

Last edited by Raul (2008-05-08 21:28:37)

Re: Installing SysPrep with the DriverPacks

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 074#p20074

follow the detard posts... it may help

Welcome to DriverPacks.net - have a great day

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

So ok I read now the theard but I still do not now what to do ^^

So a little information before running the SysPrep I always move the folder OEM out of the folder SysPrep because this one will be delete after the system reboot. So may could this be the problem ???
But i do not think that this is the problem because if not the DP_Install_Tool.cmd wouldn't get run after the restart while SysPrep would delete it.

So may you could explain me short what to do ?
I do not have many expirience in this matters. But I want to learn them.

I am going to move this thread to the appropriate place (Universal Imaging)

I don't like sysprep personaly. I have always found better solutions for my needs.
Although i do recognize there are a few instances where it can be quite useful (a new MB)

So you will need to rely on our other users for specific solutions.
You are in luck though, we have Quite a following of SysPrep Gurus with many years of experience each.
I am sure you are not in a situation that is unique and therefore you will probably be given several solutions.

Personaly I would make a UWXPCD and load the machines clean,
especialy if you are not already familiar with sysprep, since it is not a very friendly animal.

Whatever you decide we will offer any help we can.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Hehe, ok with OverFlow's mention of not liking Sysprep, I guess it would be appropriate for me to say why I use Sysprep.  Maybe this is precisely why you do as well.  Unattended installs of Windows is great and all, and for many people, OverFlow included, it suits their needs of getting a Windows install prepared for a new computer.  But here's where you have the problem - if this computer is assumed to be ready to go, with ALL settings already prepared, including removing certain shortcuts, setting up specific permissions, making sure to disable all the different automatic updates for some programs (I don't really want people to worry about Java or Flash needing updates), etc, then running Sysprep is the more suitable way of deploying.  I do go through all the trouble of setting up the Default User account, and the end-user's experience should be identical on every machine.  I have a large number of domain users, and they should feel free to go to many different computers and expect to not have the same welcome screens for every program they use the first time they ever use the computer.

Here are some of the (dis)/advantages to Sysprep:
ADV - The computer can be ready to go from the time the user signs for the very first time.
ADV - Less time instructing users how to get started on a piece of software you include into your image as you should have taken care of all the software defaults before they ever sit down.
ADV - If there are any changes that need to be done to your image, you can do it from the comfort of working with Windows, not from looking at an AutoIT script or however you prefer to automate an install.  You'll know it works (with the obvious exception that some software has their own bugs) when it's deployed and don't have to test a full install for a single setting change.
ADV - Less time is needed to learn how a particular installer works.  Normally when you find a program you need to install for an automated installation, you have to learn how to work with the silent install options, finding out how to remove components you don't want or changing the at-install settings with AutoIT.  You can just do it yourself as you would with any other software install.
DIS - Probably the biggest disadvantage - the chance of security-related problems such as leaving credentials on the computer for logging into remote servers, saving passwords to sites, etc while you are preparing the Default User profile is always a threat.  Make sure you clean up your tracks very well before making a Default User profile.  I prefer to do everything from a command prompt (including connecting to network shares and opening up programs) and running CCleaner on the profile prior to making the copy to Default User.
DIS - Requires a lot of thought on how the user experience should be.  You have to take into account everything, and figuring out the "best" settings for every individual application is time consuming and requires a checklist to be made so that you remember to use those same settings everytime you "rebuild" your so-called perfect image.
DIS - Drivers have already been loaded for the machine the image was created on and you have to go through several steps to make sure those drivers are available on first-boot as well as for Mini-Setup.  Expect to run into many many many BSODs as you learn the tricks of using Sysprep (did I mention MANY?).
DIS - How you handle working with HALs can seriously affect how you deploy your images.  There are a few different things you can do, including making multiple images, one for the standard PIC ACPI machine and one for APIC Multi-CPU (and possibly one for APIC Uni-CPU if you really feel it's necessary).  Personally, I've been using MySysprep - looks ugly during Mini-Setup but gets the job done.

There's a lot of other things too that I'm not thinking of at this point, but that's just to get you started on why you should or shouldn't use Sysprep.

*clicks Submit and winces at the chance I will double, triple, or quadruple post again*

That is a very nice summary perhaps even worthy of a sticky and its own topic in this forum...

i zapped your double wink

Well OfflineSysprep 2.0 looks promising and will most likely be the solution for every scenario.

We could have a simple script in the PE:
Step1. Deploy the image using Acronis/Ghost,gImageX etc.. (silently of course, symantec and acronis have documentation to do that)
Step2. Run OfflineSysprep with predefined settings silently (possible in version 2.0, correct me if i'm wrong Galapo big_smile)
          Mass storage are being injected at this step to, hal is being take care off, same with 07E error (intelppm)
Step3. Reboot
Step4. mini-setup, drivers installation via network share or drivers folder in the image

Tip Of the Day: Use VmWare to make your image and then convert the machine to your favorite image format (ex: Acronis) You can use VMWare Converter. So you don't need to boot in PE emuling an ISO and then take your image and save it to a network share.

I changed my Universal Solution to test that setup. I will post further infos during my whole tesing. Hopefully at the end, we will get a pretty good deployment solution.

I've never used VMWare Converter, but downloading the Starter Edition right now to give it a try.  Yeah, I use VMWare Workstation for everything when creating images... Used to do it on actual machines, and then made a pre-Sysprep and post-Sysprep image.  Now I just make a pre-Sysprep snapshot and make one image.

Hmm... downloaded it, but don't see an option to convert TO a Ghost image.  I know I can convert from one, but not seeing the option I need for making the Ghost image.

I was thinking about this and came to an easy way to sumarize the difference between the two schools of thought.

it is a before or after choice.

with a UWXP install you use tools to automate your entire install includeing apps to arrive at a finished solution
(the single user experience for everyone with all settings and programs installed with their presets done by the setup)

with SysPrep someone manually installs all the programs and settings and then manually makes that install a template.
the single user experience for everyone with all settings and programs  installed with their presets done by the tech with a checklist)

I like the first version because the end result eliminates the manual steps and results in every machine being a master.
and has fewer issues and takes less of your time to setup and maintain, both short and long term.
If the end result of your automated install is a finished product then there is no need to use sysprep,
although if you used the ouput of this for sysprep it would save lots of time and elimnate exposure to the meat virus.

either way if i had such an install prepared i would rather use ghost than sysprep but that is just MHO.

JakeLD wrote:

Step2. Run OfflineSysprep with predefined settings silently (possible in version 2.0, correct me if i'm wrong Galapo big_smile)

Yes, the plan definitely is to move to offering the option of being able to run silently from predefined settings via commandline. Whether we'll be able to offer this straight up with 2.0 is a good question and one I can't answer just yet. I'm, awaiting alpha code from thecharliec still to know myself just what will be on offer in the next major version.

I was just thinking: maybe it would even be good to offer the option of running OfflineSysPrep but selecting to DELAY running the selected options but instead run them on next start via 'HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup,CmdLine' entry? This way HAL for example is not set until first boot as with MySysprep.

Tip Of the Day: Use VmWare to make your image and then convert the machine to your favorite image format (ex: Acronis) You can use VMWare Converter. So you don't need to boot in PE emuling an ISO and then take your image and save it to a network share.

VMWare Converter can come in handy. Which reminds me also: I really should get around to uploading my script for it for use in LiveXP. Converter from PE is a useful option.

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2008-05-13 12:30:20)

Well, it isn't a choice between using Ghost or Sysprep if that's what you were thinking.  I use both, they are part of the same purpose of getting the image to the computer.  I don't use Norton Ghost though, I use Symantec Ghost which means every machine also has the client software to take commands.  This includes being able to tell the client I want to pull and image from it, or telling it I want to push an image to it.  Or even push out pre-packaged software, such as Microsoft Office (I use both XP and 2007 packages for different reasons), OpenOffice, and other tools as well.  Things that don't have to ever be part of the main image, things that might change from laptop to desktop, from administrative use, to lab use.

My imaging process is fairly streamlined, and I can make a brand new image from install to image creation in about 3 hours.  I have a checklist, but it's more of a guideline for me, I have most of it all memorized and I'm fairly structured in how I go about it to give myself reminders (like going through the Control Panel from beginning to end, no stopping to go do other random tasks).  Also if I run into an issue, depending on how severe, I may start over, but that very rarely happens.

My steps, to keep general is like this:
I install Windows to a VM (I use VMWare Workstation for the more robust snapshotting abilities) after having prepared a copy with HFSlip, then using nLite to create the Unattended settings (I do NOT remove components, that has always ended up with trouble for me in Sysprepping and other unforeseeable circumstances) and make sure to force the standard PIC ACPI HAL (though not the "Standard PC" HAL of course). I do use the tweaks section though, and I do disable SFC (I'm making an image, why would I use System Restore to fix a computer?)

I have an "Installs" folder on my host computer that I copy over to my VM.  It includes .Net 1.1 through 3.5, Adobe Reader, QuickTime, IrfanView, Java, Shockwave Player, Sysprep, and a few other things.  Several of these things are automated installs, some aren't, but all of them are very basic.  No productivity software at all, no content creation, just codecs, frameworks, viewers - that kind of thing.

I set up the local Group Policy on the machine (I also have a domain policy, but I use just basic settings that I want on every machine, even those that aren't added to the domain, such as my WSUS server settings).

I use CCleaner to clean up all my settings and temp data (also on the Installs folder, not installed on the VM) and then after that making the user my Default User template.

I change my HDC to the standard IDE controller.  Before using Sysprep, I use Dial-a-fix (if you use 2000, read the note at the end of this post) to clean up all the system temp stuff, clearing out the CatRoot2, and cleaning up all the Windows Update caching.  Just prior to running Sysprep I make a Pre-Sysprep snapshot in VMWare.  Also I run CONVERT.EXE to say on the next bootup to convert to NTFS (I install to FAT32 to make sure I can edit the image if I forgot anything or whatever maintenance I need to do - I'd suggest EVERYONE do this as NTFS, even in Ghost 11 is not reliable).  I use MySysprep to allow for detection of the HAL during Mini-Setup which then will modify my sysprep.inf for me only if needing the MP APIC HAL.  I also have my DriverPacks on the image, uncompressed (I would rather Ghost do the decompression once than making me wait for un7zip to finish ... caused me problems on 2000 before).

After Sysprep finishes and shuts the computer off, I then boot from an AMD PCNET ISO for Ghost I made, and send the image to the server.  Then delete my admin profile (I leave no profiles, just the default user).

Basically, what happens when I image a computer is this:
I either boot from a DOS CD for Ghost that I made for all the different NICs I have, or send a task to a client machine to receive my Ghost image.  So I typically have 2 to 20 machines all imaging at once.

When they finish that, they boot up, detect that they are on FAT32, run a CHKDSK, convert to NTFS, reboot automatically into Mini-Setup.  MySysprep detects the HAL needed, sets it to MP APIC if needed, proceeds through.  The computer will then reboot, auto-login to my admin account (which has no password initially since Sysprep SUCKS at setting the password, e.g. it can't reliably) and then through ROE mechanism running DPInst and the DriverPacks Finisher.

When I see they are all at the desktop and ready to go, I send a task to send whatever packaged programs I want (Office, etc) and also set the password to the admin account through the NET USER command.

After that, I have Ghost add it to the domain using my config template I have set up for my AD domain.

To put it simple, I don't use Sysprep as a means to create an image file (it doesn't do that anyhow), I use it as a tool before making the image file.

God I hope this doesn't double post... lol

* About Dial-a-fix on Windows 2000 - make SURE if you are using Dial-a-fix on a 2000 machine, you understand what the "BITS Superfail" is all about.  Look it up on DJLizard.net and make sure you follow the revised steps that he and I talked about to make sure you don't break Automatic Updates and the Windows Update site entirely.  If you don't read up on this, I absolutely guarantee you will break your 2000 install because of some bug in Microsoft's API for registering the Automatic Updates DLL files.

Last edited by DeTard (2008-05-13 12:16:54)

now that is an outstanding idea... that should work quite well in fact... good thought Galapo

Galapo, wow....  that's a great idea.  I would so love to use that as the method for changing HALs.  I'm all for that. smile

That's it I am going to sticky this
another very nice post DeTard

Thanks OverFlow ... I did have to make one ammend to my post though.  Realized I had mentioned making a 2000 image, and had also mentioned using Dial-a-fix as part of my imaging routines, but those together can cause some major problems and break service dependencies.

Edit:  Galapo, another thought since you're on the subject of revisions to OSP - any chance you could make it so that some features will still work on a running install?  I'm sure some functions shouldn't be ran on a running partition, but things like injecting the drivers would be nice to not have to boot into a BartPE ISO (Yes, I'm being lazy here, just humor me and say THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE, thanks smile)

Last edited by DeTard (2008-05-13 12:23:16)

DeTard wrote:

Edit:  Galapo, another thought since you're on the subject of revisions to OSP - any chance you could make it so that some features will still work on a running install?  I'm sure some functions shouldn't be ran on a running partition, but things like injecting the drivers would be nice to not have to boot into a BartPE ISO (Yes, I'm being lazy here, just humor me and say THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE, thanks smile)

Of course! Version 2 is going to offer this as an option. From memory, I think the coding for this has been done. But note: driver injection into a RUNNING system is not as neat as for an offline one. So to inject drivers into a running system, the conventional way of using sysprep.inf must be used.

Regards,
Galapo.

By explaining in detail the steps you take this is in many ways a guide for others and for me
I am formulating the support of sysprep in my mind and ultimately will as a supported feature.

just because i don't like it doesn't mean I will not at some point provide DPs_Base support for you guys.
(If MS hasn't already with the DPInst.exe tool)

feedback from you guys and Skinlayers and JakeLD will ultimately make it happen.

Galapo wrote:

Of course! Version 2 is going to offer this as an option. From memory, I think the coding for this has been done. But note: driver injection into a RUNNING system is not as neat as for an offline one. So to inject drivers into a running system, the conventional way of using sysprep.inf must be used.

Regards,
Galapo.

Hmm, ok.  I'll probably just use the conventional way if possible then.  I do like the idea you and others came up with to inject drivers without installing services, so yeah, it's not as neat using the SysprepMassStorage way of doing things.  And I did manage to get Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64 and got the NTLDR.  All appeared to work just fine as others mentioned, I didn't not get the error (FASTFAT.SYS in my case, not NTFS.SYS since I do the conversion to NTFS later).

JakeLD wrote:

Btw, I have been trying to figure out how to do this exactly for a few days now, and I have NO idea how this is even possible considering Converter doesn't support Ghost as an export format.  How do I go about this?

DeTard wrote:
JakeLD wrote:

Btw, I have been trying to figure out how to do this exactly for a few days now, and I have NO idea how this is even possible considering Converter doesn't support Ghost as an export format.  How do I go about this?

Unfortunetly I concur with DeTard...  I've been following this thread being a fellow sysprepper (when do we get the membership cards... I vote we give Overflow an honoury membership wink ) and have tried the VMWare convertor myself and can convert from formats TO VMware but not the other way (which can be done but you have to use Ghost and it's a real PITA!)

On another note...  DeTard I've been trying your way of image building (as I like you used to build on physical machines before running sysprep) the steps I took were as follows:

XP Disc (RyanVM patches) & DP's integrated and set to Method 2 KTD (all drivers inc textmode) Some mods by NLite (I know about Nlite screwing up nlite now.. So I'll probably be using Ryans Integrator)

Build on VM, various installs generally .net/acrobat etc..

Change to Standard IDE

Run Sysprep -BMSD

Final changes, then Sysprep (adding a gui-runonce for DPInst running from C:)

Only problems seem to be (after ghosting) after reloading on a HP DC7800 SFF:

Duplication in Hardware Devices (IDE especially) and when DPInst failed to locate the KTD install (which could mean I've got the relationship between KTD & DPInst wrong)

Thanks

Rob

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/Av2BDsDf_iiqO8a4dpI49DKicUs_0zEQtEPcTGyCqV4/perpetual:forever/userbar/tester-1.png

On a mission to re-educate users the Clue stick way!

nice to "see" you - glad your here (again) smile

OverFlow wrote:

nice to "see" you - glad your here (again) smile

Hey Jeff nice to be back, if somewhat briefly..

Yer I'm constantly lurking at the moment...  The hospital I work at is pushing to get the usual huge projects underway but as per the norm no time for actual research "Just get it done" attitude *sigh*  Ho hum..  So if I can help out where I can with testing etc....

Here's a thought to mull over mind.....  Does anyone know if the point where DP_Install cmd can be made to run before the gui, perhaps at or during mini-setup?...  Just as DeTard pointed you need to include Lan locally (for his network method to work) but I for one have my sysprep connect to our domain during the mini-setup which would obviously if it needed lan drivers then miss out completely (and some of my *ahem* colleagues wouldn't spot that simple error at least for a while *sigh* smile )  Like I said just a thought...

Anyway time for me to get back to the rock face...

Rob

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/Av2BDsDf_iiqO8a4dpI49DKicUs_0zEQtEPcTGyCqV4/perpetual:forever/userbar/tester-1.png

Hmm..  Methinks the servers picking on Syspreppers wink

Last edited by unseen (2008-05-15 23:25:39)

Yeah, see I had thought about that, but I do not know at what point I can just simply run DPInst safely.  Clearly, it works by the point of ROE, but if I could run it from Mini-Setup that would be great.  I would still need to have LAN drivers locally, that I will never be able to get around for (I hope) obvious reasons, but I'd like to do as much as possible before the GUI loads.  Then again I've never tried to run anything during Mini-Setup, so not sure where to begin (is it just simply a SVCPACK thing?).

And just a lil FYI, I don't use the DP_Install_Tool.cmd for my implementation, I just use the direct command in ROE. I make a 936 key, and make a "1" string in there with "C:\DPInst.exe /s /sh /sw /path \\<servername>\Drivers" and just let it run like that, hidden.  If I run into problems, I just look at %windir%\DPINST.LOG.  Or sometimes I set "1" to be "CMD.EXE /C (C:\DPInst.exe /c /s /sh /sw /path \\<servername>\Drivers)" if I'm sure of errors and want to see it as it runs.

lol.... and TOTALLY unrelated to anything, everytime I look at your username I think "I go unseen...."   Guess the game where that is said repeatedly. wink

Last edited by DeTard (2008-05-16 02:20:20)