Topic: Base 8.05 Released - Support for XP SP3 & DPInst

MD5 check-sums are available on the overview page for each of the main packs now.

This version is primarily aimed at support of XP SP3 but we have a few other things included too.

----
Windows XP SP3 will be available to non-subscribers on 4/29 via Windows Update and Microsoft Download Center.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … 3a761.aspx

SP3 was delayed but base is out!

Zero reports of problems to date.
----

there has been much improvement to the process of running base more than once on a source.
with this version a near perfect uninstall should be possible
(assuming txtsetup and dosnet were not changed after the DriverPacks slipstream)
(<select none> of the boxes on the pack selection screen and slipstream)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proxy support fixed - reported by Chiners

- None is now the default option for ATI control panel / center - idea submitted by mr_smartepants
And it  is a new selection in the GUI as well.
so now the DPs_BASE.ini supports CCC CCP and None

- I have implemented helmi's idea for a universal tag file for hotfix handling.
Adding a file named "IgnoreKB.DP" to the I386 folder will cause base to not add or remove hotfixes. (Ignored)
Add this switch BEFORE running DriverPacks Base on a source to prevent orphaned / lost entries in textsetup and dosnet.
base makes backups of these files which get restored by DP_Base on subsequent slipstreams.
(all post driverpack entries in those files will be lost when they are restored by base in the "prep" stage)
Hint 1: if you wish to add patches or hot fixes first remove driverpacks by selecting nothing on the pack selection screen and slipstream. then update your source and re-add Driverpacks. (Driverpacks still needs to be the last step)
Hint 2: you could just restore txtsetup.org and dosnet.org before adding patches... and then update the .org files after.
(this orphans textmode mass storage drivers in I386 but they will be removed/updated  when DP_Base is run again)

- I adjusted the code for uni2ansi to fix a reported issue with svcpack.inf. - submitted by Jaak

- I don't know if anyone even uses it - but the multibootdisk platform got totaly rewritten...

- Inspired by the work of one of our members, Wsnow.   
DPinst is a redistributable MS file that recursively searches folders for drivers
Then DPI will update the local machines device drivers. Think of it as a mini setup for post installing drivers.
With this tool it is possible to update a machine with the driverpacks post install...
Including the finisher and KTD... very cool stuff.

Added support for the MS tool 'DPinst.exe' for M1 and M2
Run the DP_Install_Tool.cmd in the OEM (or $OEM$) folder.
With M2 files are extracted to the the HDD and then DPInst is run followed by the Finisher and KTD (if set)
With M1 files can be left on the CD/DVD (since they are already extracted) and DPInst will run directly from there.
DP_Install_Tool.cmd asks if you want finisher and KTD when it finds an M1 source so you can choose...
If you choose yes then the M1 drivers ARE copied to SystemDrive and DPInst is run from there.

- Finisher updated to eliminate the d\d\ error in KTD and to remove the DPInst files during cleanup. 

- Fixed a problem user Kurt_Aust reported:
Just a minor GUI bug (held over from 7.05.2).
If you select "Custom" Finisher method, when you get to the settings review page it shows that you have selected "GUI RunOnce" Finisher method.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 484#p19484

Reply to this topic Report Here

Jeff Herre / OverFlow

Last edited by OverFlow (2008-04-24 14:37:37)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: Base 8.05 Released - Support for XP SP3 & DPInst

Awesome!  I'll give it a whirl tonight!

Unable to download, server error

When Overflow fixes it, by capitalizing the 'RC' at the end of the file in the link, then you should be able to download it.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5NQ1BpqvDa_0vDwtHeoZCcSJjOVNuvMXSp4i7SE7DQA/perpetual:forever/userbar/moderator-1.png

Thanks D!

It's fixed...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Looks good.

youve done yourselves out of some credit though as you forgot to mention the Proxy fix for the update checker which was back here topof the page.

Proxy was in the RC2 release notes (below the current news item)

Thanks chiners. I know that one was of personal interest to you...

I also had confirmation from Echo_Platoon that it was working for him too...
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 147#p19147

Have a great day and thanks for posting! (ps gave you the props in first post)

80417rc Kb888111??????,uaa????????.

The chinese txt reads as: 80417rc Kb888111 patch could not be loaded, uaa sound card can not be installed automatically.

WELCOME to driverpacks.
I sent an email to you in which I explained we use English.
Many people here are NOT english. We use it because it is a well known language. smile

the error you report could be solved if you use a newer DriverPacks testpack.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 736#p19736

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

This version does not clean up the presetup.cmd if there are commands in there from older Driverpacks.

It simply adds itself to the EOF.

(I am not sure if the previous version did empty the presetup.cmd before adding its own commands.)

Last edited by 321 (2008-04-30 23:16:24)

presetup.cmd is deleted and then generated / created, it is not edited. your problem lies elsewhere.
Lets see your log please.

The only way presetup.cmd could be appended is if the OEM folder and and txtsetup.org files were deleted manually.
If this were the case then your source folders would be corrupted and not valid for reuse anyway.

My log says
"...<PREP> No previous DriverPacks installation found, Prep stage will be skipped"

That is because I deleted the OEM folder I guess and so it added its new content to the end of the previous presetup.cmd instead of deleteing it before.

So it was clearly my fault.

I will try using a clean i386 folder...

Thank You, I will imunize base against such user error in the future

Thank you for your fast response and your hint that led to the solution!

And a very big thank you for those driver packs. They help reduce the work while installing dozen of machines.

I guess it's time to donate.  :-)

I just wanted to say that the following:

- Inspired by the work of one of our members, Wsnow.   
DPinst is a redistributable MS file that recursively searches folders for drivers
Then DPI will update the local machines device drivers. Think of it as a mini setup for post installing drivers.
With this tool it is possible to update a machine with the driverpacks post install...
Including the finisher and KTD... very cool stuff.

is awesome. The ability to update all drivers on a given system with 1 click is totally cool.

We have had a hundred requests for this feature...

You are the FIRST one to notice it is now included...

and it looks like you tested it, and it worked for you, and you reported.

AWESOME! Thanks for posting! 

PS it is cool... cool

Ah, at last:
We see reports and replies here.
When I alpha tested I was thinking a feature in the DriverPacks BASE alpha (in private tests before 80417RC) triggered a stopper (something interupting unattended) in ATI and ATI HDMI sound.
Six testplanks and twenty burns later, I knew I did not want to put thoughts in your minds.
Since then, Jeff came up with 80417RC and YOU come up with things I did not even think of.

It is a wise desicion to let not only testing team test, the real world advanced and noobies will always find things we did not test during alpha/beta.

I was called a nitwit today.
I liked that.
smile

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.

Looks like they didn't go on teh 29th as they said they would...

I would rather they got it solid first - i am unusually impressed...
they ususally just release the junk anyway.
I hope this is a trend that they are starting rather than a fleeting moment of sanity.

This issue will touch like less than a 1% of the home users....it's still safe to install now.

Which is WHY i am so impressed

it is a little thing yet they held back... so uncharacteristic of them...

I hope this is somthing they continue to do - a little something i like to call QUALITY CONTROL.

very refreshing, and quite well recieved

Ok, question about this as I'm not seeing it being used with the latest release...

Concerning DPInst, do I have to manually set it to run or should it already be used by DPsFnshr.exe?  I just did a test install of XP SP2 with M2 and QSC and never saw it show up as running and the files weren't ever copied to the systemroot.  What should I be doing or is there something I should look for to make sure it is working properly?

That is a darned good question... I am a little behind on the help file I guess - (Does that count as a bug?)

I had trouble thinking of a good way to describe it briefly in my first post.
Since it is a Microsoft Redistributable let's start there. I Quote MS...

"
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790308.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790806.aspx

below is copied from the above link

Windows Driver Kit: Device Installation
Driver Package Installer (DPInst)
Driver Package Installer (DPInst) version 2.1 is a component of Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) version 2.1 that simplifies and customizes the installation of driver packages for devices that are not yet installed in a computer (commonly known as a software-first installation). DPInst also automatically updates the drivers for any installed devices that are supported by the newly installed driver packages.

By using DPInst, you can:

Enhance the user experience of a driver package by eliminating most of the manual steps that would otherwise be required to install driver packages. When a user runs DPInst, a wizard notifies the user of the installation progress and provides an optional end-user license agreement (EULA) page that gives the user the option to cancel installation. For more information about the wizard pages, see DPInst User Experience and Installing and Uninstalling Driver Packages.

Avoid writing a custom installation program to install driver packages and update the installed drivers for supported devices. You do not have to change your driver packages to use DPInst. You only need to create an installation package that includes DPInst and one or more driver packages. For more information about creating this type of installation package, see Creating a DPInst Installation Package.
"

Very Microsoft-eze,  In simple terms;

It updates Windows drivers at any time - not just during an install - It could be post install...
and this is how we use DPinst.exe - we add it to the OEM folder. (or $OEM$\$1\ for M1)
We also add a small script file in the same folder.
The script prepares the DriverPacks in the same way as it would for the method used to create the disk
(Method One or Method Two is "staged" the same as DriverPacks would do it.)
then DPinst is called from the script and finaly the DriverPacks finisher.

DPinst is the missing link we have been searching for to add drivers to an existing installation of windows, or update them:
It checks the current device manager,  and compares those drivers to what is in the DriverPacks
If newer drivers are found in the DriverPacks than exist in the target machine then it's drivers are updated - on the fly - Unattendedly.

Now, if that was not pretty darned slick all by itself... let me just toss this in for a bonus;

Since we have prestaged the drivers in exactly the same way as DriverPacks would the DP_Finisher will run exactly as it would if you had just done an unnatended install (except we didn't, we just dropped our disk in any computer)
The finisher calls keep the driver (KTD) and cleans up the packs and removes al traces of the driverpacks. (just like normal)
And it applies whatever KTD settings exist in the source OEM folder. wink

So what we have after all the smoke and mirrors is a way to install DriverPacks on any system (BlackBox) at any time.
(you could even add it to your logon script and update your drivers every day - tee hee) 

THE SCRIPT IS \OEM\DP_Install_Tool.cmd (or \$OEM$\$1\DP_Install_Tool.cmd for M1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a one click solution to update ANY win2k winxp or win2k3 box with the DriverPacks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can you say...    Have a nice day!

Sweet. cool

Does that help?

PS normal installation of DriverPacks does not need or use this tool...

lol....  Well I'm sure that will help clarify things for someone, but I guess I worded my question ambiguously?  All I really wanted to know was if DP_Install_Tool.cmd was ran normally by the finisher or if I had to edit my WINNT.SIF file to make it run prior to running the finisher.  Sorry for the confusion.  I guess you answered me though with that, I'll go ahead and edit the file now wink

I'm going to try this with a Sysprep install here probably Monday to make sure everything is working the way I intend and if so, yay! wink

i edited after you posted too...

normal install doesn't need or use this tool....

you have it transposed - the script calls finisher not the other way around.
(i realize you figured this out but i am outlineing a help file here... wink )

this might be the missing link for sysprep too... had not thought of that....

got me thinking now...

If it were me i would run the script from runonceex you could even have the DriverPacks mapped to a driveletter.
the script automagicaly searches all drives if they are not found on the current drive (just the root of each)

If you were really living you would capture an M1 folder setup (which would be cab compressed and not need to be extracted)
if you do not need KTD copying the files and running the finisher are optional
(M2 WILL be copied and extracted - M1 is optional to copy and finish)

the script is actally written that way (lol its a two click solution if you use m1... rats!)
it askes if you wish to update in place, or copy and finish with KTD...

So let me know if i tossed you crazy sysprepers a life line....

Jeff

Hi,
that's just beautiful.
Syspreppers will spend less time getting drivers to co-exist in a build.

Users can now quite easily add their specific doodahs to a DVD and use the tool.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-05-06 06:55:33)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.