Re: Drivers Pack Unpacker & Installer by Warm Snow

WsnoW wrote:
cometoluc wrote:

Hello, i tried your program but when i try to use it i get a message that my language is not correct and i can not install. I am using a dutch windows xp pro. Please advice, i really would want this to work with the dutch version of xp

best regards
cometoluc

in DPInst.xml change section -<language code="0x0409"> to - <language code="0x0413">

command line parameter
/el
Sets the enableNotListedLanguages flag to ON, which configures DPInst to enable all of the supported languages that are not explicitly enabled by language XML elements in a DPInst descriptor file.

supported languages

Arabic (Saudi Arabia) 1025 0x401 
Chinese (People's Republic of China) 2052 0x804 
Chinese (Taiwan) 1028 0x404 
Czech (Czech Republic) 1029 0x405 
Danish (Denmark) 1030 0x406 
German (Germany) 1031 0x407 
Greek (Greece) 1032 0x408 
English (United States) 1033 0x409 
Spanish - Modern Sort (Spain) 3082 0xC0A 
Finnish (Finland) 1035 0x40B 
French (France) 1036 0x40C 
Hebrew (Israel) 1037 0x40D 
Hungarian (Hungary) 1038 0x40E 
Italian (Italy) 1040 0x410 
Japanese (Japan) 1041 0x411 
Korean (Korea) 1042 0x412 
Norwegian (Bokmål) (Norway) 1044 0x414 
Dutch (Netherlands) 1043 0x413 
Polish (Poland) 1045 0x415 
Portuguese (Brazil) 1046 0x416 
Portuguese (Portugal) 2070 0x816 
Russian (Russia) 1049 0x419 
Swedish (Sweden) 1053 0x41D 
Turkish (Turkey) 1055 0x41F
DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

Sets the enableNotListedLanguages flag to ON, which configures DPInst to enable all of the supported languages that are not explicitly enabled by language XML elements in a DPInst descriptor file.

thanks . I`ve forgote about this switch

wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

dig the new avitar picture !!!!

Heh, glad you like it!*

Been using that elsewhere and figured while I am already in the CP, I may just change it.

Next time, maybe I will show you another picture of mine wink

* Me wearing an old WWII gas mask from my grandpa

We can also host your files if you want , instead of rapidshare etc.
Just let me know.

muiz wrote:

We can also host your files if you want , instead of rapidshare etc.
Just let me know.

Thanks for support. It's goot to have one more mirror smile

AGAIN new version

Rapidshare - 820 k

Deposit - 820 k

ver. 1.5.6 RC2 
#02-04-2008#
===================================================================== 
+ added 2 method for unpack archives (due some errors with unpacking)
+ HWIDs now saves in the new sheet (HWID sheet)
+ added progress bar showing while unpacking (not working with 1 method) 
* EULA confirmation removed from driver installer
* small fixes

Hi again.

here is small fix DPInstaller_WSED-QuickFix-04042008 (only exe file) 294 ?b - Rapidshare . Use it if you have problems with unpacking archives named 7Z instead of 7z smile

Last edited by WsnoW (2008-04-04 21:36:24)

AGAIN new version

Rapidshare - 297 k

Deposit - 297 k

ver. 1.8.8 RC3
#05-04-2008#
+ marker files moved to the Markers folder (due the probles with WPI)
+ application settings moved to the dp_wsed.ini file
+ now driver packs can be stored in any folder (just change DPExternal=no to yes & restart application)
* 2 method for unpack set as default
* small fixes

Unpack to the application folder and replace old files

Thanks.
It looks like this can be made to install drivers from the DVD if one uses the CDDRIVE oem path.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

Thanks.
It looks like this can be made to install drivers from the DVD if one uses the CDDRIVE oem path.

Yes, you are right. Users asked me to give them choice there to store driver packs. Right now application have problems to work thru CD/DVD - because it can`t write settings to the ini file directly on CD/DVD . I`ll fix this today.

recommended update

Changes history

ver. 1.9.10 RC4
#05-04-2008#
+ change DP location button added
+ dp_wsed.ini file created automatically on the first application start
* fixed application crash while working from CD/DVD
* small fixes

rapida - full pack ver. 1.9.10 RC4 - 797 ??
rapida - -only fixed- ver. 1.9.10 RC4 - 303 ??

deposit - full pack ver. 1.9.10 RC4 - 797 ??
deposit -only fixed- ver. 1.9.10 RC4 - 303 ??

Hello WsnoW. Let me tell you beforehand that you were the reason for me registering here.
I have just downloaded the updated driverpacks, and I was thinking about asking if a program like yours could not be created as after all, the concept would be really simple:

1-Get PCI Id's from the system
2-Parse the inf files to get the PCI ID's each driver supports
3-Check which inf files support the PCI ID's from the system
4-Show a list to the user with an install button next to it (to go manually) and also give them a full automated install option.

Someone was asking about the size of the DP's. My question is, do I have to put them compressed or can I uncompress all of them and it'll work?
I'm asking this because extracting them takes a long time even on a fast computer, and I have to work also sometimes with pentium 4 1.4 ghz and old amd durons and athlons so...

Also could you tell us, the correct way of working with the program?

I've opened it now, and it found the DP's (7zipped) on the DP folder (note: I'm not trying to and I do not have them integrated into a windows cd\dvd). I clicked extract and it's extracting, but I don't know where to.

My idea was to burn your app and the extracted dp's, so that when I pop the dvd \ ext. hd into a machine it would simple scan the pci id's from the registry, find the drivers and install them. No extracting needed what so ever. Is it possible?

This tool (together with the excellent job with the DriverPacks of course) will make my job soooo much easier (I fix computers for a living).
Thanks.

PS: I've took a little time to "draw" a concept of what I think would be a good GUI (as my programming skills suck):
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5996/dpguiqh2.th.jpg

1-Clicking would detect the PCI ID's for the installed hardware, maybe just the ones without drivers installed or even better the ones with older drivers.
2-This one would install the drivers for the selected devices on the left.
3-This one would install the drivers for all the devices on the left.
4-Shows up form2 big_smile
5-This could parse all the inf files on the D\ folder and subfolders and make a "cache file" so that it wouldn't have to look in all .inf folders everytime.
6- Cleans the cache.

I believe there is no need to have all the drivers extracted, since it takes space and most of them would never be needed.
If new hardware is added, then just running this installer again should be enough.

I'd like you to think of this as a suggestion. Even more stuff can be added, but I (and I think many others) like this stuff simple.

Last edited by Xeon3D (2008-04-08 01:47:02)

Xeon3D,
thanks for your big post smile

My question is, do I have to put them compressed or can I uncompress all of them and it'll work?

- You can use compressed & uncompressed DP. Then they are comressed use Unpack button & then Install . If you have uncompressed - use Change DP location  & then Install.

By the way - small How to use.

1. Put 7zipped Driver Packs (DP) - to the DP folder (or somethere else unpacked drivers).
2. Run app & select the DP or Unpacked drivers location.
3. Then they are comressed use Unpack button & then Install . If you have uncompressed - use Change DP location  & then Install.
4. And see what is going on in the app log.
5. Delete dp - if u don`t plan to use them.

I clicked extract and it's extracting, but I don't know where to.

Drivers are extracting to the %windir%dp_wsed folder.

I also think about simple concept .
Find devices
Extract needed drivers
Install them.

But right now & don`t have much time to realise it.

Thanks again for pushing me smile

But right now & don`t have much time to realise it.

i meant realize it.

Well... I don't think you need to extract only the needed drivers, (as it should be a pain in the butt to code that). Maybe just:

1- Find HW ID's
2- Find the drivers for the HW ID's (they should already be extracted)
3- Install Drivers.

The concept actually is quite similar to what Unknown Devices by Halfdone Development does, but it lacks the DP compatibility and the Installation bits. Maybe that's why it's called "Halfdone"... smile

Oh, and btw if you need an extra host, I'd love to help smile

Last edited by Xeon3D (2008-04-10 00:32:52)

Xeon3D wrote:

Well... I don't think you need to extract only the needed drivers, (as it should be a pain in the butt to code that). Maybe just:

1- Find HW ID's
2- Find the drivers for the HW ID's (they should already be extracted)
3- Install Drivers.

The concept actually is quite similar to what Unknown Devices by Halfdone Development does, but it lacks the DP compatibility and the Installation bits. Maybe that's why it's called "Halfdone"... smile

Right now i`m testing the new version , which is unpacking only needed drivers smile If all be ok , soon i`ll releze it.

Oh, and btw if you need an extra host, I'd love to help

thanks . At this stage i think share servers are enough . May be i`m not right.

Last edited by WsnoW (2008-04-10 00:43:21)

Hi this is looking promising. What I'm after is a command line tool that scans your local PnP for dev ids, and looks up the latest driverpacks.net driver for that device, downloads just that device (not even a whole pack), and installs it (even unsigned ones, and don't install if windows thinks the current driver is better).

Futher to this, some manual exceptions are needed for Nvidia drivers. Certain Nvidia GPU's work best with certain Forceware versions.

soon..
Jeff was coding like mad, and base will include the post install tool we were wanting, and it should be able to run post install driver install, with the exceptions found in the DriverPacks.

Pretty much like the fini.cmd and post install KTD, but this time with the minisetup we never had.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-04-13 11:46:11)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

awesome, i intend to hook into this future post-minisetup every time the system boots (autorun), to ensure the machine is always up to date for drivers (silently, hands-free). I'm also hoping to use an errorlevel return code to determine if a reboot is required.

keep up the good work everyone; this project is amazing. (this is a large missing part of my Project Bluepill - an autoinstalling, autoupdating and autoconfiguring htpc distribution based on xp @ http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic. … 6530#36530 )

Last edited by binary64 (2008-04-13 11:52:26)

Well, DPinst was the missing tool.

We once had a sticky topic where we tried things like post install finisher and post install KTD, (fini.cmd was in there..) but when we really tested that the result was nada.. we missed minisetup. We had the idea.. we lacked the right tool.
Warmsnow deserves lotsa kudos for looking at the WAIK tools and doing something we had not tried yet..

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

This is what i would do:

Create a program that does this hands-free - admins would run this tool once everytime a pack updates:-
1. download all driverpack packs, including 3rd party ones. Latest versions of each only. Cache downloads for next time.
2. extract all new packs (cleanly)
3. for each driver folder;
3a. detect hwid's from inf files
3b. compress each folder into a 7z
3c. add hwid's into a database, with each hwid mapped to the name of the 7z single driver archive
4. update/overwrite a public online database with new database. It could be a proprietory database hosted here, or it could use wikiD @ MeediOS.com (url= http://www.meedios.com/wikiD/ ). It would also upload thousands of small 7z files to somewhere on ftp.

Then the client postminisetup would:
1. gather local pnp id's
2. look each of them up on this public database. The db would return a list of 7z url's which are just the drivers needed. It may contain overlaps and conflicts, which the client would sort out.
3. The client would download these tiny 7z files locally, and extract them maybe
4. dpinst or better would install them - even unsigned ones (hands-free/silently), and letting windows decide which is best--the currently installed ones, or a pick of a choice of drivers from dp.net (might be more than 1..). Also follow dp exceptions.

I've done about 40% of the above in c# @ https://meedios.svn.sourceforge.net/svn … verUpdater but I got busy on other things instead.

Here is examples of ini-files prepared by new version of Drivers Pack Unpacker & Installer .

DP_Content.ini

[D\G\A1\AVS\atirt2xp.inf]
PackName=DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_802.7z
PackNumber=0
[D\G\A1\WDM\atixpwdm.inf]
PackNumber=0
[D\G\A1\CX_58131.inf]
PackNumber=0
[D\G\A1\CX_59344.inf]
PackNumber=0
[D\G\A1\mobility.inf]
PackNumber=0

DP_Extract.ini

[DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_802.7z.txt]
Line0=D\G\N1\*.*
Line1=D\G\N1\*.*
[DP_Graphics_C_wnt5_x86-32_712.7z.txt]
Line2=D\G\N\4\*.*
Line3=D\G\N\3\*.*

Utility scans all inf files in selected dp & preparing DP_Content.ini. After all found HWIDs - one by one looked in found INFs. Search results are wrtitten to DP_Extract.ini.

Last stage iz command line

7z x DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_802.7z -oc:\ExtractDir @DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_802.7z.txt

DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_802.7z.txt -will have 2 lines
D\G\N1\*.*
D\G\N1\*.*

Soon i`ll post ver.2.0.0 beta1

Last edited by WsnoW (2008-04-13 18:57:58)

Found this project Craig's PCI Diagnostic software. Looks very useful. Especially the txt database - PCI, AGP, PCI-X & PCIe Vendors, Devices and Subsystems identification file.

Last edited by WsnoW (2008-04-13 19:04:43)

@binary64

I don't think the database idea will happen with driverpacks.

the worst part of your idea is what if the NIC driver is the one that is needed?

1)
The program you describe would require us to allow leeching of our files. We block Leeches...
and not just because it's potentialy rude.
We think it is important for people to read the change logs and release notes.

2)
maintaining a database of single drivers and updateing it would require a lot of time for someone.
It is tough for us just to find people who can add drivers let alone keep them syncronized with a database.
the packs include the ability to index the contents (the INI file) but again someone has to populate it.
not to mention the time to recode the base. (are you willing to take on any of these tasks yourself?)

3)
The functionality you require can be had useing existing methods.
extract drivers to a disk (CD - DVD - HDD - Network Share) and run DPinst.exe.
If the space is really an issue for you you can use Base in M1 mode to cab comress them.
(just ignore the xp install and take the $OEM$\$1\ folder for your use.)
the base packs are 300MB 7z or 500MB Cabbed or 1.5GB extracted.
so you can see cabbing is very effective too and windows uses cabbed drivers natively.
the first time you run M1 the QSC needs to be built and it may take a long time.
details and instructions here http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2264

Running dpinst against a local source makes a lot more sense, on many levels not just the NIC issue.
you could run dpinst anytime, even on startup as you suggested.
The obvious advantages of a local repository are numerous starting with
it could be totaly customized to a site or machine type(s). 
(hint: third party packs get cabbed in M1 too)

Jaak is correct that the RC3 version of base includes support for DPInst and is available to the testing team now.

New Beta version (test only) !!!

Added new feature - search-unpack  & install drivers by HWID-s.
1.Select DP for search in.
2.Go to HWID - page .
3.Press Search by HWIDs
4.Select HWID to install & press Install By HWIDs.

This is only beta version , plz don`t use it on the stable systems.

Rapidshare - 816 ??. ???
Deposit - 816 kb