Topic: [SYSPREP] Intel 915G causes minisetup to hang.

This is a known issue, but since I ran into it on our HP dc7100s I thought I'd mention it.  Here's HP's KB article on the issue.
And here are the two relavent Microsoft KB articles that I found from this guy's blog post about the problem.

The issue occurs if the video driver, although signed, does not have an associated .inf file that describes connected monitors.

Is there a way of fixing this in the Graphics DriverPack?  If not, I'll just make sure to build my images with the two hotfixes applied.

Thanks!
skinlayers

Re: [SYSPREP] Intel 915G causes minisetup to hang.

you are correct this is a known issue...

are you useing RC2?

base RC2 i belive supports 883667 
and SP3 is supposed to have it included (this is unconfirmed)

can you confirm or deny that sp3 includes 883667 support ? (special HWD required)
can you confirm or deny that DP_base RC2 support for 883667 is working (or not)

The Second KB you reference 910678 does not apply to driverpacks

When you run the Sysprep MiniSetup Wizard to install a Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) image, the wizard may stop responding after the video driver installation process starts. This problem occurs if the OempnpDriversPath entry in the Sysprep.inf file points to the latest Intel video drivers on the Dell Web site or on the Intel Web site.

Our drivers are local.

Let me know some more details and if you have the hardware to do some testing...
please try testing rc2 883667 support and that SP3 does in fact include it
report as much detail as you can... sp3 build number, base version, OS you are slipstreaming...
If you had been actively testing... you would have known this already.  Please help...

PS use the search feature in the future - keyword   883667  wink

and http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 239#p17239

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow,
Thanks for the reply.  I'd searched for 915G, but didn't think to look for the KB article number. smile

I put this post up mostly as an FYI to sysprep users who may encounter this issue, as I've already acquired the hotfixes and will use them until SP3 is released and, I am given the OK from our enterprise testing team to add it to our image.

Yes I am using DP_base 8.01RC2, but since I'm using sysprep I have to manually edit DPsFnshr.ini and extract the associated files, so I'm not exactly sure how you want me to check for compatibility with 883667, unless that's something DPsFnshr.exe takes care of. 
I'm going to wait until SP3 is officially released before I test it, but from what I've read it should include this fix.  I'm in the process of getting the list of fixes from the latest beta of SP3, and I will let you know if 883667 is included.

However, I think you are misinterpreting the text of 910678.  OemPnPDriversPath can only contain a file path, not a URL, so I believe they are referring to the latest Intel drivers downloaded from Intel or Dell's site and added to the local driver repository (which would include updated drivers in the DriverPack). 

Base install: Windows XP Professional VLK SP1 ("Corporate") 32-bit with SP2 (version 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) slipstreamed with nlite 1.3.5 (no other modifications were made with nlite).
All updates downloaded and applied via Microsoft Update (no update packs like RyamVM were used).

DriverPacks used: All except for Graphics C and CPU.
DriverPack Graphics A version: 8.02
DriverPack Graphics B version: 8.01.2

Hardware I have testing access to.  As far as I've seen only the HP dc7100/915G is effected:
IBM ThinkPad T40 (2373-12U)    ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
IBM ThinkPad T41 (2373-1HU)    ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
IBM Netvista M42 (8305-29U)    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
IBM Netvista M42 (8305-G7U)    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
IBM Netvista M42 (8307-25U)    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
IBM Netvista M42 (8307-41U)    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
IBM Netvista M42 (8307-46U)    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
IBM ThinkCentre M50 (8189-E1U)    Intel(R) 82865G
HP d530        Intel(R) 82865G
HP dc7100    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express
HP dc7600    Intel(R) 82945G Express
HP nc6000      ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600
HP nc6230      ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
HP nc6400      ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
HP nc8230      ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600

skinlayers

PS You mention "actively testing".  I'm not sure what you mean by this either.  I needed to build a new image so I've tested the beta Graphics B and DPs_Base RC2 and reported my findings.  I'm not sure how much more 'active' than that I can be.

Last edited by skinlayers (2008-03-28 11:22:46)

No slight intended it was a plea for feedback which you politely provided thanks a million.

I forget sometimes that just because people don't post a lot doesn't mean they are not actively testing.
I guess when things are working well you don't get a lot of feedback. So it truly can simply be "no news is good news".
(except for big-brit... he always posts his successes too, and i for one find that motivating... )
It's OK to stop in and say hi and let us know your still alive wink

if the 883667 did not make the cut for the release of rc2 it is definitely in rc3 (in process ATM)

you can check for the presence of KB883667 in SP2 by looking in the I386\svcpack folder for the file KB883667.CA_

for SP3 it will be necessary to have hardware that we know fails if the fix is not applied.

If you were able to confirm that this patch is included in SP3 then i can make sure it only installs for SP1 and SP2 for XP.

Thanks for posting... feedback makes DriverPacks better

again sorry i did not intend to slight you
you are here and contributing that is a precious thing... and is appreciated.

PS:  I probably misinterpreted the 910678 text, however since it only applies to sysprep it still is not in the scope of the currently supported platforms of the DP_Base program. IT is my intention to not have any patches or hotfixes included in base. the ones that are there now exist only because they are mandatory to install an included driver.

of course there may be an unforseen exception but i haven't seen it yet.. ;P

helmi has suggested to me "quality over quantity any day"
thanks for your quality of contributions your descriptions of sysprep may lead to support in a future release.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

No worries.  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't more that I needed to be doing since my title does say "Testing Team". wink

Speaking of good news, I'll throw in that I ran into a known bug a couple of weeks ago in Graphics B 7.12.1 with the Radeon 7500 Mobility in my T40s & T41s prompting to find ativvpxx.vp in D\G\A5 but the beta of 8.01.2 fixed it.  smile  Thanks!

My Windows XP SP2 disc doesn't have an I386\svcpack folder, but the NEWDEV.DLL in the I386 folder is the pre-hotfix version (5.1.2600.2180 vs. 5.1.2600.2505 or later).  I'll be getting my hands on the latest beta of SP3 (5508) shortly, and I'll let you know what I find in there.  I'll test it with my image on an HP dc7100 and see if it breaks or not and then let you know.

I'm right there with you on the whole not including hotfixes in the Base.  smile  The reason I don't use RyanVM packs is some of their changes broke .NET updates for me after using sysprep and made it so Apple's Boot Camp wouldn't recognize an SP2 disc as SP2.  Like I said, this was more of an FYI to our small group of sysprep users since we run into issues that the majority of DriverPacks users don't.

Thanks again,
skinlayers

"my title does say "Testing Team"." 

which is why i thought i could rattle your cage and see if you were up for some testing...

RC3 is close to release and XP SP3 too -
I fixed the double d error you were having trouble with when I put RC2 out.

let us know if it IS working too wink

have a great day and thanks