Topic: Got LAN DriverPack working on BartPE

At my work, my brother-in-law was building a BartPE disc and I suggested to him to use the DriverPacks.  MassStorage was easy to put in due to the BASE slipstream method.  I, then, went to work on getting the LAN DriverPack working.  I extracted the LAN DriverPack and put the folder in the LAN drivers folder for BartPE.  Then, I had pebuilder build the disc but I came across some errors during the build process.  All of the errors during the build process were with the nVidia LAN drivers.  The errors were about missing files, such as DLLs that the INF file has listed as a co-DLL-file that is needed.  I was able to do a workaround for this.  I got it to have no errors in the build process.  I also helped test the BartPE on several different types of machines.  My tests were successful.  If you want to know how I got everything to work, just let me know and I'll explain in further detail

--Echo_Platoon

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Re: Got LAN DriverPack working on BartPE

hi
I know this interests OverFlow a great deal because he wants to get LAN supported in the DpsBase PE plugin build tool.
We have talked about this, and Joshua's plugin for Nvidia LAN could replace the drivers in LAN in a foreseeable future.
But, I am interested to hear how you did it.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak,

I will e-mail you everything I did for this to get it working.

--Echo_Platoon

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Echo_Platoon ,

I'm very interested, please post or e-mail, thx have a nice day,

sam

hi,
I got it in email.
My hint to use Joshua's Nvidia plugin for LAN worked for others.

Anyway, What EchoPlatoon did was this.
1.  I extracted the LAN DriverPack to a folder name DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_71211 (the name will change depending on which DriverPack version you use).
2.  Go into DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_71211\D\L, do a Select All, choose either cut or copy, and paste it into the LAN drivers folder for BartPE, which in my case was C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net.
3.  I had to run pebuilder to find out what errors I got regarding the LAN DriverPack and the errors were about missing files that pebuilder thinks should be there.  The files are the following:

C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\bdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\NVENETFD.sys
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\bdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\NVENETFD.sys
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\bdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\NVENETFD.sys
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\bdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\NVENETFD.sys
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\bdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\NVENETFD.sys
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\bdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\NVENETFD.sys
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\12\NVENETFD.sys

4.  To resolve this, I did the following for each of the folders:
     a.  Selected bdco1.dll and nvefdxp.sys, copied, and pasted them onto my desktop.
     b.  Renamed bdco1.dll to bdco1ins.dll (except for C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\12 folder).
     c.  Renamed nvefdxp.sys to NVENETFD.sys
     d.  Select bdco1ins.dll and NVENETFD.sys and drag them back into the folder from where I originally copied from.

5.  I ran pebuilder again to find out if I got any other errors and had 6 more errors about missing files that pebuilder thinks should be there.  The files are the following:

C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\fdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\fdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\fdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\fdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\fdco1ins.dll
C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\fdco1ins.dll

6.  To resolve this, I did the following for each of the folders.
     a.  Select fdco1.dll, copied, and pasted it onto my desktop.
     b.  Renamed fdco1.dll to fdco1ins.dll
     c.  Selected fdco1ins.dll and drag it back into the folder from where I originally copied from.

7.  I ran pebuilder one last time and got no errors.

8.  I burned the BartPE ISO to CD, tested it out, and it worked.

That's it.  That was my whole process.  To save some time, skip step 5 and do both steps 4 and 5 at the same time.

If you want to know anything further, feel free to ask me.

--Echo_Platoon
------
I post this content because I feel it should be public.
I cannot test this right now.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Echo_Platoon,

you're the man big_smile

just tested it with my main machine, IP35 board, yukon nic, and it works like a charm, thx a bunch

will see if tomorrow I tested it with a few different gateway units at work.

sam

Nice work smile
official DriverPacks alpha is in codeing stage as i write this

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I'm glad I could help.  Is this a good way to come back from my long absence?  LOL

maybewe can test standard PXE boot with these drivers as well... but only the future knows tongue

tested on a few gateway machines, e6100, profile 5, 5.5, and e6300, intel, yukons, etc, and they all work, thx again,

now I just need to put bartpe on ipod and I will be good big_smile

OverFlow good to hear,

sam

Hi
I can do this for a future LAN DP.
I actually did this for a testpack which is not in testing yet.
I did not drag/drop, tho. I select file, copy in same folder, rename the copy.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

Hi
I can do this for a future LAN DP.
I actually did this for a testpack which is not in testing yet.
I did not drag/drop, tho. I select file, copy in same folder, rename the copy.

You can do that as well.  It would be quicker.  I don't have that option when I click on File after selecting a file.

Last edited by Echo_Platoon (2007-12-16 11:10:32)

Echo_Platoon wrote:

You can do that as well.  It would be quicker.  I don't have that option when I click on File after selecting a file.

Echo_Platoon if you just select the file and press CTRL C (copy) and then CTRL V (paste) this will create a copy in the same folder prefixed with Copy of <filename>.  Then all you need to do is rename the copy to what you want.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

Echo_Platoon if you just select the file and press CTRL C (copy) and then CTRL V (paste) this will create a copy in the same folder prefixed with Copy of <filename>.  Then all you need to do is rename the copy to what you want.

Oh, yeah.  I forgot about that.  Thanks for reminding me.  Man, I need to start playing around with the little stuff in Window XP, again.  LOL

what about the many nvidia duplicated hwids ? We need to get rid of those. I just downloaded the nforce 780i drivers and the hwids are duplicated. They should make a unified nforce driver.

BartPE is not like sysprep.
Windows will use its normal algorithims to choose the best driver.
HWIDS can be duplicated in some cases.
The problem with Bartpe is you may not have duplicate file names.
so it is sort of the opposite of what you are familiar with.

since in BartPE we copy the files to their destination folders during the build.
(IE sys files get copied to system32/drivers)
this will cause issues with drivers that have hardcoded file names like nvidia.
the last file copied wins. in jaaks example above each of the folders copies the file name fdco1ins.dll
the file name fdco1ins.dll that is actually in the destination folder on the build is the last fdco1ins.dll copied.

now if all the drivers use the same version of the file this will work. however if they are actually different versions of the file (and have the same name) and the drivers are file version dependent then only the driver in the last folder will work.

but still they guys have managed to get a big chunk of the LAN pack integrated without much trouble.
If we were to officialy release this it would be a support nightmare.
because only the last file copied of each file name will actually exist on the bartpe build / disk.
(IE there can only be one file named driver.sys in sytem32/drivers so the last file named driver.sys copied during the build process is the one that will be burned to the PE disk)

when i code this we will have to pick and choose in the pack INF file much as we now do for mass storage.

did this explanation make sense ?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Hi
just got home..

I could be mistaken, but I have reason to believe some systemfiles have calls (or pokes?) to other files hardcoded in the binary.
That would mean we can try code the INF to get around dupe filenames and dupe HWIDs, and still see failure.
OK... if it works, it works, but if it doesn't we would have a hard time finding out what causes it.

When echoplatoon mailed me that solution, I was wondering why there was a call for these DLL and SYS files, because we see no such poke in the INF.

Of course, BartPE uses some techniques to build a CD, and Joshua's plugin works in PE.
JakeLD is quite good at combining and elimination, and I just read he got a new NV driver..
Yesterday I briefy looked at a 12.15 for 520/560 (we have 12.14 in the pack)

Jeff is coding, and the way things are going, chipset will be optimised for cabbing earlier than LAN will be ready for cabbing. (in chipset, we have maybe 20 problem files.. In Lan, I estimate we'll have 150)
These last few months, the work JakeLD and I did was aimed at optimisation of the packs, and I have been in the belief that what works for sysprep will work for DISC install.
I have not said it was achieved with ease.
I do believe we have made life easier for many by doing what we did.

It was a start?
Let's not falter in sight of the finish line..

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

The DLLs that have "ins" in the names are referenced in the INF files as a co DLL file.  I didn't get a chance to look in the INF for the SYS files, though.

cut n paste fix smile

copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\bdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\bdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\NVENETFD.sys
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\bdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\bdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\NVENETFD.sys
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\bdco1.dll  C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\bdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\NVENETFD.sys
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\bdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\bdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\NVENETFD.sys
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\bdco1.dll  C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\bdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\NVENETFD.sys
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\bdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\bdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\NVENETFD.sys
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\12\nvefdxp.sys C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\12\NVENETFD.sys

copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\fdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\MCP61\fdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\fdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\5_0450\fdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\fdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_rest\fdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\fdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0373\fdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\fdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\45_0269\fdco1ins.dll
copy /y C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\fdco1.dll C:\pebuilder3110a\Drivers\Net\NV\3\fdco1ins.dll

Nice smile

I have something even better for BartPE.  I went through the latest LAN DriverPack.  I changed filenames of all files so that no two files have the same exact name.  Also, I edited the INFs to reflect these changes.  I have tested my changes by using pebuilder and I had no errors.  I also edited "DriverPack_LAN_wnt5_x86-32.ini" to reflect the filename changes.  I put everything back into a .7z file and uploaded it to my Rapidshare account.

Here is the LAN DriverPack that I edited:

http://rapidshare.com/files/80202113/DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_7121.7z

I hope this helps with creating the BartPE version of the LAN DriverPack.

Last edited by Echo_Platoon (2007-12-31 12:41:26)

It helps tremendously - this is what Jaak and i have been talking about working towards for months...
Since you have made the pack compatible with PE you have saved me hundreds of lines of code in the base program itself!!!

This is a HUGE pickup - you have taken what would have taken me weeks to code and made it into a few hours work.
I will just need to create a double check routine in base to ensure that packs don't include duplicates and kick out a message if any are found.

Instead of having to create a routine to rename them and then programmatically update the infs with the base's internal code.
The brain is a much more powerful tool than anything I can write. although I had some ideas as to how it may have been possible it would obviously have been quite a task... as you now realize having done it yourself by hand.

Caveat - the LAN pack must be maintained this way from now on by the team.
if this is agreeable to everyone i can punch the LAN plug-in out in about a week give or take a few days.
Lets get this pack into the nightlies for testing - if this method doesn't break normal operation of the DriverPacks we are looking at pure gold!

Echo_Platoon since you are now on the DriverPacks Team You now have the permissions to be able to add this to nightlies yourself.
make sure that you give your pack a higher number than what is there like - DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_71230.7z
create a changelog and indicate which pack version (specificaly) you used as your starting point.

Congratulations on your promotion Corporal Echo_Platoon

Now that is what being a Team is all about - That's what I'm talkin about ! smile
Everyone give themselves a big round of applause and a pat on the back!

smile big_smile cool Woo Hoo!!! smile big_smile cool

Hey guys i don't know if you were aware of it but the joshua plugin already adds support for the nvidia network drivers

you could just extract the pack to the network folder and then delete the nvidia folders entirely and rely on the joshua code

if you have ubcd4win his plugin is located at \plugin\Drivers\NForceAll-RIS

also this is a unified driver for nvidia originaly targeted for sysprep and PE that cdob found and joshua spent a lot of time tweaking to support all the Nvidia cards.

It may be that the files and INF's could replace the drivers we currently use. I am not certain and i dont have an nvidia lan card here so if one of you who does wants to take a look it may also be helpful to us as it has been for the BartPE and sysprep PE guys.

Joshua plugin does not work with nForce2 400, it does work on nForce 680i and nForce 4 do.

Last edited by JakeLD (2008-01-01 01:06:57)

It took about a day's time to get everything renamed and all the references in the INFs updated.  I'll tell you one thing, though,..."Replace All" in Notepad saved me a lot of time when updating the references in the INFs. 

Note:  The names of the files are longer since I added on to the end of the name to give each file a unique name.

Additional Note:  I also got the LAN DriverPack, I posted a link to, working on the XP SP2 version of WinPE as well as got the MassStorage DriverPack working on that version of WinPE.  If you want me to post how I did that, please let me know and I will post my steps.