Re: Setup cannot copy the file: setupORG.exe (presetup.cmd)

Well I am having the exact same problem and I think I know why this is happening.

I've done a zillion xp installs by making two partitions and copying I386 to the second partition and installing from there. It's much faster! I've also copied the entire CD into a particular folder (i.e.: D:\XP_CD) quite a few times. Never had a peep from windows.

Now that I've integrated the driver packs (THANKS!!!), the error pops up during install. First of all it can't find those two aformentioned files in D:\XP_CD\I386 when they are there and if you try to be smart and press ESC, windows will simply refuse to install when you reboot (boohoo).

It's clear (at least to me) that the problem is that the program made for DriverPacks requires an ABSOLUTE PATH while the install process for windows XP can handle a RELATIVE PATH. Tell windows to expect SETUPORG.EXE and presetup.cmd in ".\I386" instead of "\I386" and you're good to go.

BTW the only solution I found so far is to make a bootable XP CD with BartPE and then use this as a plateform to copy the two files POST installation style. Or I guess you could copy the contents of the CD at the root of the D: drive (or whatever drive suits your needs), which is not very useful if you ask me.

Hope this helped!!!

Last edited by obiwanceleri (2007-09-09 16:20:18)

Allright after verifying it seems most of the files relative to driverpacks use an absolute path. So copying the aformentionned files with BartPe will let Windows continue with the install but you're likely to get a few error messages and (I assume) windows will search for drivers where there's none, since even the .7Z files are expected to be in an absolute path.

(btw in my experiment, I got an error about C:\DSPdsblr.exe not being found)

So I guess no installing from a harddisk until this problem is dealt with sad

Last edited by obiwanceleri (2007-09-09 16:36:12)

The odd part of this....is I slipstreamed the driverpacks on a different PC and everything work like a charm.  So i'm not sure why that one PC skrewed stuff  up ...but thanks for the help someone else might run into that problem and who knows your solution might come in handy later on ..

STEVE

obiwanceleri wrote:

btw in my experiment, I got an error about C:\DSPdsblr.exe not being found

That's a common problem.  I recommend using the OEMPreinstall Folder ($OEM$\$1) to get around that.  Just go into the bin and find DPsFnshr.7z - you can find all of the files you'd need to put in the preinstall folder inside this archive.  Then just run a cleanup command script at the end that deletes everything you don't want/need.

~TigerC10~

did anyone find a solution for this? I'm using unattended for my uni project and it would be fantastic if driverpacks could work!

Nick

I reformated the machine that I am creating the images on and now I get this error again ..where I can't copy presetup.cmd or setuporg.  Was a solution ever found for this?

STEVE

I have been having the same problem with presetup.cmd and setup.org. I am installing from a network share that I installed the driverpacks into. I think the problem is a pathing problem. My network share is mapped as U:XPSP2\I386.... I think if I start the install with U:\I386... etc. that might solve the problem. The original copying of  the two files never happens because setup is looking for the sources one folder level up from where they are. Will give it a try and see what happens.

Fixed! As I said, I was starting the network install from a mounted volume that contained a folder "XPSP2" that contained the sources from my XP CD. Once I mounted the network share one folder deeper, so that the share was the root of the sources folder, this solved my problem. It must be something in the way that the DriverPacks setup refers to the path for those two files, basically assuming a CD type situation so that they have to be relative to the type of path a CD would have, i.e. "drive letter":\"sources". I just ran it with this set up and it found the files no problem.

Good work.  Thanks for your input!  A lot of people have been having this same problem with RIS.

~TigerC10~

and a fix to dp_base is in the works??

base doesnt seem to be broken the copy is executed from textsetup.sif and the entries in textsetup.sif appear to be correct. although a space before the "=" is normal i dont think its mandatory.   

this seems to be a windows issue we now have a workaround for.

-ps RIS and NIS are not currently supported by the base and even if it were how can i force them to mount their folders properly from base???...

since we know that i386 needs to be in the root either map it that way or use that old dos command "SUBST" if you must bury the folder structure.

SUBST drive_letter: path

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-08 18:17:56)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I actually forgot about an old friend of ours who integrates RVM nLite and DriverPacks and supports RIS in his application.

RogueSpear's autoimage will do this for you. watch in awe.
No need to reinvent the wheel.

Link to autoimage

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

You need to add the following to dosnet.inf under [Files]...
d1,setuporg.exe
d1,presetup.cmd

You need this if you are doing a winnt32.exe install...

Those entries are created by DriverPacks BASE automaticaly...

Hi kalmi,
you may not have noticed, but the original topic is OLD, and you replied to something what was solved long ago, and had answers to key words in a question while you forum-searched.

welcome, search and participate have always been better that complain and not search.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

BearTech wrote:

Fixed! As I said, I was starting the network install from a mounted volume that contained a folder "XPSP2" that contained the sources from my XP CD. Once I mounted the network share one folder deeper, so that the share was the root of the sources folder, this solved my problem. It must be something in the way that the DriverPacks setup refers to the path for those two files, basically assuming a CD type situation so that they have to be relative to the type of path a CD would have, i.e. "drive letter":\"sources". I just ran it with this set up and it found the files no problem.

sorry to revive an old thread, but I cant get it to work using RIS! I am using AutoImage 0.1.9.8, and it stops at the "Cannot copy the file setupORG.exe" ..

The installation folder in this instance is \\%SERVERNAME%\\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\WINDOWS

your mapping is not correct... as this thread documents.

I don't understand... can you be more specific? do i change the installation share folder? .. so does this means i have to edit.. what files? im new to this RIS so any help would be greatly appreciated!

\\%SERVERNAME%\\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\WINDOWS

your share is REMINST

your share should be WINDOWS