Topic: Setup cannot copy the file: setupORG.exe (presetup.cmd)

All,

I am trying to integrate the driver packs into a windows install.  Below are the steps that I took to integrate them:

1.  Copy I386 folder off Windows CD
2.  Download the current driverpacks
DriverPack             version     
Chipset              7.08    
CPU                       7.04.1
Graphics A             7.06    
Graphics B              7.05    
Graphics C             7.04    
LAN                        7.08    
MassStorage            7.08    
Sound A             7.08.1    
Sound B            7.07.1
WLAN                     7.06

3. Run DPs_BASE.exe
4. Use the following settings
  Installation platform -- disc
  All Driver packs selected
  DriverPack MassStorage text mode selected
  method 2
  GUIRunOnce
  Enable KTD for ALL slipstreamed DriverPacks
  default (%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
  Disable QSC
  ATI Catalyst Control Panel
  SLIPSTREAM!

--Everything slipstreams fine--

6. Files are uploaded to /ntinstall/install/os/xp/  ( I am using the projected Unatteded from http://unattended.sourceforge.net/)

When the install process happens I get 2 errors..

Setup cannot copy the file:  setupORG.exe
Setup cannot copy the file:  presetup.cmd

It will not let me skip these files and then install fails.

I have looked in the txtsetup.sif

When I search for setuporg.exe I find the following

mediactr.cab                   = 3,,,,,,_x,,3,3
setupORG.exe= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
presetup.cmd= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
3ware95k.sys=1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

Does anyone know why  I am getting this error, have a suggestion, or ran across this before ?

Thanks,
STEVE

Re: Setup cannot copy the file: setupORG.exe (presetup.cmd)

hi
welcome to DriverPacks

Please enable QSC.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Thanks for the tip.  I have enabled the QSC and still receive the same error...I followed all of my steps above with the exception that you suggested.

Might there be something else that is causing this error to happen?

STEVE

Don't just copy the I386 folder off of the windows disk.  Copy the entire disk.  The cmpnents folder has some .NET stuff integrated to the installer, and if you have a tabletPC or media center option the compnents folder contains that data too.

Also check your I386 folder for "SETUP.EX_".  It is supposed to be expanded to "SETUPORG.EXE".

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-08-29 04:35:41)

~TigerC10~

setup.ex_ is there....

If I do a simple install with only integrating the hotfixes and updates using the method

kbxxxxxx.exe /integrate:c:\"path to i386"

Then the install runs through fine without any issue.

I will copy over the entire disk and then run through the the driverpacks process that I tried before.

Is there something in the driverpacks setup that needs the other files besides i386?

Thanks,
STEVE

Ok I took the entire folder off of the Windows XP CD ...then I integrated the Driver packs using DPs_BASE.exe  --No hotfixes were integrated for this test

I am still getting the error Setup cannot copy the file: setupORG.exe

setuporg.exe and presetup.cmd both exist on the network drive.

I do not however see setup.ex_ this time.

These driver packs are great and i'd love to have them.

Thanks,
STEVE

Wait, you're doing a NIS?  Not a disc install?

Okay, well - first thing you should know is that DriverPacks will alter your winnt.sif file - which is used for disc installations.  Since you're doing a Network Install Setup you need to add those additional/modified entries to your UNATTEND.TXT file (from what I understand, the only difference between these files should be the name).

Finally, since you said the setup.ex_ is not there anymore - just manually copy it back over.  Also copy presetup.cmd since you had problems with that one too.  If you want, try looking here:
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/35/

They have the files available for download if you don't want to re-copy them from the disc.

~TigerC10~

Thanks for another tip.....I copied the context of winnt.sif to unattened.txt ...double checked for setup.ex_ (it was there)<--did a new install, setuporg.exe(it was there) and presetup.cmd (it was there)

I am still getting the error Setup cannot copy file setupORG.exe

SIGH!!!!!

Any other hints or suggestions I"m open to ANYTHING.

STEVE

Bâshrat actually already addressed this on MSDN, apparently.  http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/i … 57359.html

Can you post the contents of your txtsetup.sif file?

~TigerC10~

http://pastebin.com/m3446b8b5

Here is the my TXTSETUP.SIF file.....or most of it.. do you know where I can post a large file to a pastebin like site.

I just posted it on my site.

http://bambling.org/TXTSETUP.SIF

Let me know what you think.

STEVE

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1  = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,\i386
2 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386
3 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\mediactr\i386
4 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\netfx\i386

mediactr.cab      = 3,,,,,,_x,,3,3
setupORG.exe= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
presetup.cmd= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
3ware95k.sys=1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

filename_on_source=diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode,spare,spare,newfilename

Do you notice that the only 2 files you have a problem with are the only two files with "2,0,0" at the end?  That's actually the default value, but since you're doing a NIS you may need to alter that...  Not sure.  I've never done NIS.

The other thing you may need to consider is a file corruption when you copy it.  It's happened to me before.

~TigerC10~

When looking in the TXTSETUP.SIF file I do see some other files that still at the default value as well

[SourceDisksFiles.ia64]

agp460.sys   = 100,,,,,,,4,2       

ati2draa.dll = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

ati2mpaa.sys = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

atidrae.dll  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

atiintaa.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

atimpae.sys  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

atirage3.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

avmc2064.dll = 1,,,,,,,,3,3         

avmcoins.dll = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

avmen64.dll  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3         

avmisd64.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0       

cpan_w64.chq = 1,,,,,,,21,0,0,cpanel.chq

b57xp64.sys  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3,,1,4     

decem.dll    = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,,1,2

e100b645.sys = 1,,,,,,,,3,3,,1,4     

e1000645.sys = 1,,,,,,,,3,3,,1,4     

el98xn5.sys  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3,,1,4     

fpswa.efi    = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

g200.inf     = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0   

g200d.dll    = 1,,,,,,,,3,3     

g200m.sys    = 1,,,,,,,,3,3     

g400.inf     = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0   

g400d.dll    = 1,,,,,,,,3,3     

g400m.sys    = 1,,,,,,,,3,3     

hal.dll      = 100,,,,,,3_,,3,3,,1,2

html64.iec   = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0             <-------------seems to still be at default also.

ia64ldr.efi  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

Do you know of any resources that might be able to help....is there a way to get Bâshrat to see what he thinks.

STEVE

so If I copy setuporg.exe and presetup.cmd to i386\$oem%\$$\system32.  Then I can skip the files and setup still completes

Still not sure why it can't copy these files over from the start.

Well I wouldn't recommend copying them to your OEM distribution folder...  That's sloppy.  I suppose that at the end of the day it all comes down to what works and what doesn't.

Try downloading the setupORG.ex_ and presetup.cmd from the site I gave in post 7.  This might confirm whether or not there's a corruption in your copy process.

~TigerC10~

Do you mean setup.ex_ and presetup.cmd?  I don't see a setupORG.ex_ on that site.

I got setup.ex_ and presetup.cmd off of the site in post 7 and I still get the same error......

::Bangs Head Against Wall::

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Sorry about the typo...

Well, instead of doing a NIS try doing a single disc installation.  If the disc installation works then it is a problem with how you're doing your NIS.  If the disc fails, then it's a problem with however you're doing things to the disc (including the possibility of DriverPacks).

~TigerC10~

TigerC10 wrote:

Don't just copy the I386 folder off of the windows disk.  Copy the entire disk.  The cmpnents folder has some .NET stuff integrated to the installer.

The .NET stuff included on the original XP disc is absolutely unnecessary.
It has long ben succeeded by .NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 (of which you will need all three, btw).
Also, it never installs during a regular installation anyway.
If you wanted to use .NET back in that day, you had to manually install it from that dir.

If you want/need .NET (eg for ATi's CCC), you'd best use a .NET AddOn to slipstream it into your source.
Even then, you can delete the original .NET contents as all files needed will be supplied by the AddOn.

Just FYI smile

Helmi wrote:
TigerC10 wrote:

Don't just copy the I386 folder off of the windows disk.  Copy the entire disk.  The cmpnents folder has some .NET stuff integrated to the installer.

The .NET stuff included on the original XP disc is absolutely unnecessary.
It has long ben succeeded by .NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 (of which you will need all three, btw).
Also, it never installs during a regular installation anyway.
If you wanted to use .NET back in that day, you had to manually install it from that dir.

If you want/need .NET (eg for ATi's CCC), you'd best use a .NET AddOn to slipstream it into your source.
Even then, you can delete the original .NET contents as all files needed will be supplied by the AddOn.

Just FYI smile

Correct smile

That's not necessarily true, media center editions of windows XP DO need that .net stuff.

~TigerC10~

I don't need to incorporate the .net stuff....but I do need the setupORG.exe and presetup.cmd files to copy over...might anyone know how to fix this isssue....is there something I need to chagne in the txtsetup.inf file?  Or any other suggestions....I would really like to get unattended filled with the driver packs as I am having trouble loading all the drivers on HP laptops (damn you HP).

STEVE

Did you attempt doing a disc install before trying NIS?  If you can't get a disc to install then there's something going wrong either before/during DriverPacks.  If you can, then there's something wrong with the way you're doing NIS.

~TigerC10~

TigerC10 wrote:

That's not necessarily true, media center editions of windows XP DO need that .net stuff.

I see; never worked with these before, though.
It's also a newer version of the XP .NET by chance, seeing as XPMCE is already newer than XP.

Anyway, I still guess that if you include an (updated) .NET AddOn, you won't need the original (outdated) files anymore.

You actually do, it's very frustrating in some cases.  You shouldn't need the .NET if you include a newer version since they overwrite the same calls - but the Media Center Edition stuff actually depends on files in the \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory.

Since the version of windows wasn't mentioned - I figured it was worth mentioning.  Plus, in the first post "mediactr.cab" was referenced.  Don't know if that exists for other versions or not.  It doesn't for mine because mine was an XP disk from before Media Center existed.

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-09-05 11:21:25)

~TigerC10~