Topic: [HOWTO] create a drivers-only disc

HI.
i want make cd juste with drivers to installe material for somes pc using cd.......
it's possible ??

Re: [HOWTO] create a drivers-only disc

hi

EDIT april 2008
this tool works.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2403

WELL;  what you read here..  is educational, but it didn't work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
this has been asked before, and this is a rewrite about doing drivers on CD (or DVD).

Suppose you have a testrig in which you regularly change devices for you have to see wether they still work.
It runs XP which you do not want to reload.
It would be nice to have a large collection of devicedrivers ready on the drive.
Well, one can do something quite interesting.

what does one need...
1; one or two little cmd files one creates for oneself
2; a source you slipped with base, using method 2 (the source will then contain the files.)

SCRATCH THIS.
NOT NEEDED. 3; 7zip. (for unzipping a file needed for the doPNF.cmd method.)

and then, how it works
copy the OEM folder from the slipstreamed source to a CDRW
create a little batchfile (or create both) and copy that to that CDRW
(one can, of course, put the batch files and those you extracted on a slipstreamed source..)
--------

Dopath.cmd works very simple
It extracts the files from the slipstreamed DVDRW into a folder in windows.
devpath then tells windows the files are there, ready to be searched when hardware is added.
You have to hit "use anyway" when you run hardware wizard and it turns out the driver is not WHQL signed.

doPATH.CMD

SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\7z.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z -o"%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
exit

The other method takes longer to apply because makePNF installs the drivers into the windows INF section.
The result is that windows does not bug you with driver is not signed.

UPDATED.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-04-14 04:53:25)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

thanx alot jtdoom wink smile

hi
you're welcome

done some txt cleanup, and added link to 7zip

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Title updated and *STICKIED* since this wasn't the first time I saw someone ask for this smile

It was said above "It would be nice to have a large collection of devicedrivers ready on the drive." I am needed to make a cd that will find and then install just the drivers that are needed on a computer. I do not need it to store 200mgs of drivers on the computer just in case I might need them.

Is the method that is listed above still what I need if not can some one link me to any link that would help me in this...

Quite simple to do
Just create a CD useing method 1

PS its over 300 meg useing method 2 and around 500 useing method 1 with all packs selected.

PPS You can put the cab compressed drivers that are in the $OEM$ folder after method 1 on a CD by themselves for what you want, furthermore, fully extracting the drivers from the 7zip archives will result in over 1 gig of drivers.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-05-09 17:32:22)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hi jtdoom, I tried DSPdsblr and makePNF instructions.. and it adds all drivers to the windows db very sweetly.

But now I'm trying to "install" all your drivers in batch script (unattended).. by install i mean:
1. update devices with installed microsoft drivers such as ATA drivers where your packs contain an update.
2. install any devices currently in class Unknown that exist in your packs.

The scenario is a freshly installed *non-slipstreamed* Windows, then want to one-click install any drivers in the packs that are wanted, leaving the machine a lot more usable!

I'm trying to do something like this:

devcon remove =Unknown
devcon rescan

Or this:

devcon remove *
start SuppressAddNewHardwareWizard.exe
devcon rescan
taskkill /f /im SuppressAddNewHardwareWizard.exe

works mostly toward point 2 above - except that devices not known to windows nor your packs pop up the add new hardware wizard window.

How do you suggest I go about this? If there is no community solution - I am happy to code this project as a contribution to us all.. but would need some guidance. I'm good with c# 2.0.

Time for install on target PC is not an issue, so my first thought it to do a devcon updateni on every single hardware device, against every single .inf in driver packs, and abort the inner loop when successfully updated.

Sorry this is a double-post (perhaps my first post wasn't in a good location).

hi

the above was written when un7zip was not yet used.

here is a new batch

it takes less work.
Just the batch on the CD you made with method 2, et viola.

doPNF.cmd

SET TAGFILE=\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DP*.7z "%SystemDrive%\dump"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
start %SystemDrive%\dump\Mute.exe on
start %SystemDrive%\dump\DSPdsblr.exe
%SystemDrive%\dump\makePNF.exe "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
taskkill /f /im DSPdsblr.exe
%SystemDrive%\dump\Mute.exe off
RD /Q /S %SystemDrive%\dump
exit

The above assumes that you ran this on a machine what already got installed with a base slipstreamed DVD.

On a vanilla install, one of the problems you will come across is that no exceptions are used, and some control panels will not be installed.

I wonder wether this one would work..

I called it FINI.cmd

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DP*.7z "%SystemDrive%\"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"

start %SystemDrive%\Mute.exe on
start %SystemDrive%\DSPdsblr.exe
%SystemDrive%\makePNF.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\
xcopy %SystemRoot%\Driverpacks\*.* %SystemDrive%\ /y /i /e /h
start %SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe
%SystemDrive%\Mute.exe off

exit

you will see a copy is made that gets deleted when finisher cleans up.
This copy is made so that the finisher can work, and the drivers will still be on the drive for later use.

I really wonder.. Just wrote it, and one of these days I am gonna test this.
(hehe, fini.cmd first made a nested D in D.. >> another edit. RD could be used to delete in one step.)

----------
Much later, after I had tested FINI.cmd on a vanilla install (I mean, an install run from a holographed windows CD..) I found out this script did not have the desired results. sad

Last edited by Jaak (2007-10-05 02:02:19)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

well, finisher produced a nice log. smile
All exceptions were processed. smile

This might be what you want. smile

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

So how and which CMD files exactly are placed on the CD(RW)?

FINI.CMD
/OEM/

?

Last edited by Jig (2007-06-26 23:14:26)

hi

Save the batchfile you wish like this.
Copy, and paste into notepad >> then "save as".
Select ALL FILE TYPES (so that it does not automagically adds TXT as extention..)
Save as fini.cmd (or whatever name you wish, as long as you stick to the 8.3 format.)
Voila, you have the batchfile, ready to use.

You can put this on a new burn, along with the slipstreamed source (you have to use method two), or, you burn only the OEM folder and all that's in it plus the batchfile(s) to a CDR.
Because these can be used POST install, I will make me an ALL packs, all 3rd party too, and burn a new one.
(some folks do not have a DVDrom reader in their machine, and even when one collects all packs, this will still fit on a CDR...)

Now, not everybody needs the POST-INSTALL-KTD ((makePNF and devpath, etc)) bit along with a POST-INSTALL-FINISHER session.

This one here should work as POST-INSTALL-FINISHER session.
When I wrote FINI.CMD and NoKTD.CMD, I assumed that the source was not slipstreamed with KTD selected. (Because then finisher would do KTD for you..)

NoKTD.cmd

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DP*.7z "%SystemDrive%\"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z "%SystemDrive%\"
COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\
start %SystemDrive%\Mute.exe on
start %SystemDrive%\DSPdsblr.exe
start %SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe
%SystemDrive%\Mute.exe off

exit

Much later, after I had tested this on a vanilla install (I mean, an install run from a holographed windows CD..) I found out this script did not have the desired results. sad

Last edited by Jaak (2007-10-05 01:46:07)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi
Remember that when a finisher session runs, only the hardware that is present and live/or connected and live will be detected, and if that kit has an exception written for it, then it will be applied.

KTD (doPNF) by itself is useful, but that FINI.cmd is more useful and when I ran it this this morning, it did its stuff in less than ten minutes.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

So, DPsFnshr does a "re-enumerate/update/install" of drivers?
Does it update devices with older (microsoft) drivers?

The DriverPacks Finisher does not do this, the drivers being installed during the Fake Setup phase already.
(hence, you cannot use it to update your current system)

What this is all about is creating disc that contains all these extracted driver files with proper listing so they can be used on a "New Hardware Found" dialogue prompt.
(Just as KTD would serve)

Of course, if newer drivers are included in the DriverPacks, those will used during installation instead of the MSFT ones.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

I am an Admin @ Microtrain.net

We have Master drives that we build to suit 1 type of machine (unfortunately we have a varied selection on cost effective PC's gathered.)

I was going to drop all the drivers into system32, but this seems more economical.

Thanks again.

BNV

jtdoom, whats all that talk about KTD and NoKTD.CMD?

Helmi, so the finisher does NOT install the drivers? I though it installed drivers for any unknown devices found on the system by scanning the DriverPacks...

KTD stands for   Keep The Driver 

It is generaly not neccessary to KTD for the full set of DriverPacks after an install (the hardware probably isn't going to change)

KTD is nice for a technicians "test machine" where a variety of hardware might be plugged in and used or tested at any time. or if you were createing a "master" image for a number of similar (not identical) workstations

The Finisher is like a drivers little helper it follows up on the DriverPacks installed drivers and sets some final cleanup actions into motion (No it doesn't install drivers)

I hope that helped

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-07-17 13:58:31)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Ok, so how does running the DPsFnshr help on achieving the goal of having a drivers-only install disc?

The drivers are being installed during the fake setup phase (if you're using M2), that's right after you've seen the extraction status bars.
The Finisher installs any needed (as in the HW for them is present) GUIs, control panels etc, everything driver-related that is not a driver itself (so anything but INFs or SYSs).

What does help you in this very case is the KTD (which is applied by the Finisher), namely by indexing all the kept driver files so Windows can readily use them as it is being made aware of (otherwise it would be the same as if the driver files would sit in an arbitrary folder - drivers won't get picked up and installed automatically as you probabaly know wink).
It creates the PNF files that make Windows access/scan the folders for drivers for your current HW setup.
Just as it does check in the driverc.CAB, on WIndowsupdate.com or the %SOURCE% when you install new, unknown HW.

hi
I would have thought that the members doing a lot of syprep work would have come forward with a way to run a minisetup/noreboot (whatever that makes windows automagically rescan everything) as the last line(s) in fini.cmd

sad

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

OH, I will again make a request to have automatic removal of setupold in DpsBase.
That would be a killer.

hmmm... I can edit the fini and other CMD files.
But I cannot do changes to Base.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

what is your reference to setupold about jaak?

OverFlow wrote:

what is your reference to setupold about jaak?

this.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1754

does not always work, and a zappit cmd I wrote works but interupts unattended, and add to runonce, that i have not figured to make it not halt unatended yet.

if this is coded in finisher, it would help me, and all guys that will ever do a repair with a DriverPacks optimised disc.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

you could submit it as a bug, then id have to fix it LOL...

I think that is a slam dunk to code ill add it the next release... um... how well has the fix been tested

make sure it works and don't let me forget.