Topic: [SLVD] PCI Simple Communications Controller Drivers for Windows 7 x64

I have been scouring the web trying to find the drivers for this, but with no luck. Then I remembered all the slipstreaming I did for XP and figured I would give your packs a try, but no luck. So I figured I would just ask if you know of any drivers for this item.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_505A107B&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_505A107B
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&CC_0780

The info I do know is that it is a HECI Controller driver. But it looks like intel has decied not to make any drivers for it. The board model number is DG965OT. I have even gone as far as trying the Vista x64 drivers from Gateway.

I appreciate any time you take into answering this conundrum for me!

Re: [SLVD] PCI Simple Communications Controller Drivers for Windows 7 x64

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … nloadType=
Your board is not supported by Intel for Win7.
So you're saying that you tried these Vista drivers from Intel and they didn't work?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … pe=Drivers

Try: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4422

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Correct, they stated that they were not for this board, even tho the board is listed.....

I also did a lot of searching on Google to no avail. I just looked at the link site that you listed <downloadwindowsdrivers> but it lists nothing for the Gateway or anything like that. Which is why I was curious if you would have any clue where else I could look. I saw several posts that stated that they no longer support this board. But sometimes there can be a work around that someone came up with a while back....

As I said before, any help and useful suggestions that anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Deathbot

Last edited by Deathbot70 (2011-08-19 00:30:55)

Gateway.  It's a Gateway OEM board.  This sounds hauntingly like something a BIOS update might cure.  No luck finding an update direct from Gateway (Acer), i would assume.

I've cross-flashed a sizeable stack of OEM BIOS's to the latest intel.  No dud's.  Every time i ended up with a BIOS that was at least 2 years newer.  It's not always an easy process, and the main risk is 'bricking' the board, as the BIOS chips are almost always soldered on.  Yours may have a SPI BIOS.  Not recommended for the novice, as who wants to risk having a 'brick' for a board?

Either that, or just use the Intel ME Management driver from driverpacks.net, maybe, or intel.  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … pe=Drivers

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-19 01:44:49)

Operating System not supported. tongue
As for the Bios, yes it is the drab Gateway Bios. Also, yes, I ALMOST bricked it, but I had backed up the old bios and re flashed it back to the old settings. I'm not a top programmer, which is why I came to y'all. But I do know my way around a board. smile But this one has me stumped. So, I'll try any other suggestions you may have barring a hammer and chisel.

Last edited by Deathbot70 (2011-08-20 01:53:58)

Try these:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … pe=Drivers

Those are the same drivers as Techdud had me look at.

Which he stole from my link in post #2 wink

i was just trying to be useful, not a link-plagiarist.  I should have linked to your post#2, instead.  My bad.  Just trying to avoid link-labyrinthing!

Perhaps he's not aware of the 'manual' update procedure.  Maybe best to update in 'Safe Mode'?  Do the rest of the drivers update to their respective versions properly?  Does he still think it is a HECI Controller?  Has he tried the driver in DP_Chipset that matches his HW?  Is there any way this may pertain to a physical problem with memory, etc.?  I always use MemTest86+ boot CD, it gets the memory chips 'warmed' up (test with a non-contact IR sometime)

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a 'top programmer', myself.  Experience is a prescient teacher, you learn by doing.  The more you learn, the more you experience.  Learn from all of your successes, and only learn the hard way from somebody else's mistakes, except when it pertains to driving!

How many of your marriage books have successful relationships? DEATH TO THE 'BOT's , present company excluded, Deathbot70! lol

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-22 23:28:57)

TechDud wrote:

Experience is a prescient teacher, you learn by doing.  The more you learn, the more you experience.  Learn from all of your successes, and only learn the hard way from somebody else's mistakes, except when it pertains to driving!

I am a firm believer in this statement. Well I also believe in learning from your own mistakes as well. I also believe "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

TechDud wrote:

Has he tried the driver in DP_Chipset that matches his HW?

I ran a update with all the various drivers for Win 7 offered on this board, with nothing tweaking Windows interest.

TechDud wrote:

Does he still think it is a HECI Controller?

As far as know it is the HECI Controller. When I looked up the Hardware ID, that is what it stated it was. I followed someones link to a site that listed the ID's as such. Although, it dose state in the Device Manager that it is a "PCI Simple Communications Controllers". The computer has no Modem that I am aware of and all other drivers either loaded with Windows 7 install or updated with Vista drivers without errors other then this one. So I am stumped on what it is. If there is any other info that you can think of that might help narrow this bastage down, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Deathbot70 (2011-08-23 01:36:58)

Re-read what mr_smartepants had to say; he is very wise & knowledgeable.  'manually search for drivers'+'have disk' was unsuccessful?

Yes and Yes. Before I came here, I did a search for HECI Drivers pertaining to my board specifically and for any reference to the ID # I could find. I even looked past the second page! smile I searched the Driver Lists on here as well. Doing a general search and then look at specific folders. With no luck. I also did try the Driver which mr_smartepants posted, which returned the result of operating system not supported.

I should also let you know, that every instance that I could find on line stated that the Driver wasn't supported, but I wanted to see if anyone had figured a work around for it. My computer seems to be running fine, so leaving the driver alone probably won't be all that bad. But I hate having a item sitting there doing nothing. Lazy peripherals!

Last edited by Deathbot70 (2011-08-23 12:03:54)

could mod the inf and force install it... but might be better just to have an unknown device

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

could mod the inf and force install it... but might be better just to have an unknown device

That's what I did.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dgbmcb9phb2tc76/HECI.7z
Try this from a safe distance.  wink
You'll get an ugly driver signing error but it MIGHT work. 
I rewrote the .inf to support Win7 x64 but I don't like how the .inf references the WinXP event log.

I'm sorry, i'm not trying to 'toy' with you, i've 'seen' it as a 'Intel(R) Management Engine Interface', now i see the file name starts with HECI.

I see that it does exist in 'DP_Chipset_wnt5_x86-32_1108.7z\D\C\I1\' & the 'hecix64.sys' is missing.  That driver does have WHQL for xp & Vista.  Perhaps it was removed from the Vista-7 pack.  I wish i had some way of searching archives & contents for strings - like WinRar USED to be able to do reliably (maybe it's bad syntax on my part, there's nothing in the help file, though)

You probably need to extract the installshield file from intel, as posted by mr_smartepants with 7-zip.  Try to manually update, & if it works, request this driver be added to the Vista-7 pack (after searching the forum for reasons this driver may have been removed).  Please indicate whether 7 says that is WHQL'ed, if successful.  Thanx.

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-23 17:55:31)

3... 2... 1... BOOM!
http://bestanimations.com/Military/Explosions/Explode-02-june.gif

I hate it when i let the magic smoke out of my electronics.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

forgive me, i lack understanding of why a hack would be necessary.  The .cat file included with the official intel driver contains signatures for Windows 2k, xp, 2k3, & vista including 64-bit.  I am told that the vista whql signatures are upwardly compatible.  Is this incorrect, or is there another issue that makes that aforementioned driver incompatible with Windows 7?

So, it's the lack of the [Intel.NTamd64.6.1] identifier that's causing this BS?
Maybe it would be worthwhile to add [Intel.NTamd64.6.2] for future Win 8 support.

If only you could simply add some commented-out characters to the .Inf file to enable the file to generate the same sha1 CRC value of 'f8c713d374e9620476d5392729c4d79b412199c2' so that it does pass WHQL.  Of course, if that method worked, that would be disquieting, to say the least.

PS:  it might be best to disable this as it may pose a security risk.  There may be negative consequences to disabling this.  http://communities.intel.com/community/ … -windows-7

"The managability engine is used to reduce the cost of maintainance of corporate computer systems.  It is part of the network hardware and allows remote maintenance activities when the OS is damaged or the system is off\sleeping.

Is that not magical?
on levovo systems, ctrl-P allows access to configuration options, before BIOS post screen?

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-24 23:31:20)

TechDud wrote:

forgive me, i lack understanding of why a hack would be necessary.

It should not be needed.  The .inf already contains a generic [Intel.NTamd64] section which should work with all 64-bit systems.

I think that the Win7 drivers are either included in the OS or downloadable from Windows update.
This is a quick 'hack' test just to see if that section is relevant.  I'll bet money that it won't work.

Oh, and WHQL signing will never happen when tinkering with the .inf as I have (unless you have a LOT of time on your hands, which I don't)

in theory you could add a sequence of garbage and it would again hash correctly... But mr_smarts is correct it would take a very powerful computer a very long time to arrive at the solution. Unless you just got lucky.

I agree with your analysis that this is the reverse of a bruteforce attack. with a BF attack the "Password" kicked out may or may not be the original password... it is simply a sequence of characters that will match the the encryption key when hashed.

This looks like a job for a specialized algorithm based on sha-1.  Accelerating the process with a zippy GPU would reduce the compute time tremendously.
I haven't tried to do this kind of programming since i created a lossless compression algorithm in 1984.

Alternatively, one could include the certificate from intel.  http://www.osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=186756

Edit: scratch the certificate brain-fart, we discussed something similar, earlier.

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-26 04:34:30)

Bingo, the Extracting of the drivers manually let me get the one I needed it was the HECIx64.sys, which is I belive what you had stated. Everything is up and running now. Thank you very much for your time and expertise!

Deathbot

Last edited by Deathbot70 (2011-08-26 02:57:55)

PS:  it might be best to disable this as it may pose a security risk.  There may be negative consequences to disabling this.  http://communities.intel.com/community/ … -windows-7

"The managability engine is used to reduce the cost of maintainance of corporate computer systems.  It is part of the network hardware and allows remote maintenance activities when the OS is damaged or the system is off\sleeping.

Is that not magical?
on levovo systems, ctrl-P allows access to configuration options, before BIOS post screen?

He got what he wanted, whether it was a wise move, or not, and has thus far contributed nothing to the discussion.
For instance:  did mr_smartepants hack work?  Did the Vista WHQL signature validate properly in Win 7 with the manual install of the extracted files?

Help us out in return for helping you out, Deafbutt sad

PS:  I had searched Windows Update Catalog to no avail, & i see that same reference to 'EventLogMessageDllPath_winxpe' in 'MEI_allOS_7.1.14.1107_PV.exe'

;*******************************************************************************
;*                                                                            **
;*                     I N T E L   P R O P R I E T A R Y                      **
;*                                                                            **
;*   COPYRIGHT (c) 2003-2010 BY INTEL CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.  NO   **
;*   PART  OF  THIS  PROGRAM OR PUBLICATION MAY BE REPRODUCED, TRANSMITTED,   **
;*   TRANSCRIBED, STORED IN A RETRIEVAL  SYSTEM,  OR  TRANSLATED  INTO  ANY   **
;*   LANGUAGE OR COMPUTER LANGUAGE IN ANY FORM OR BY ANY MEANS, ELECTRONIC,   **
;*   MECHANICAL, MAGNETIC, OPTICAL, CHEMICAL, MANUAL, OR OTHERWISE, WITHOUT   **
;*   THE PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION OF :                                        **
;*                             INTEL CORPORATION                              **
;*                          2200 MISSION COLLEGE BLVD                         **
;*                     SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA 95052-8119                     **
;*******************************************************************************
;
;
; File Name: HECI.inf
; Install information file for HECI Driver
;
; Generated by C DriverWizard 3.1.0 (Build 1722)
; Requires DDK Only
; File created on 6/20/2005
;

;--------- Version Section ---------------------------------------------------

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=System
ClassGUID={4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider=%Provider%
DriverVer=10/19/2010,7.0.0.1144
CatalogFile=HECI.cat

[ControlFlags]
; Pnp drivers should not be installable via non-PnP hardware dialogs
ExcludeFromSelect = *

;--------- DestinationDirs Section -------------------------------------------

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 10
HECI_Files_Driver = 12
HECIx64_Files_Driver = 12

;--------- SourceDiskNames and SourceDiskFiles Section -----------------------
; These sections identify source disks and files for installation.

[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %Location%,,,""

[SourceDisksFiles]
HECI.sys  = 1,,
HECIx64.sys  = 1,,

;--------- Manufacturer and Models Sections ----------------------------------

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName% = Intel, NTx86.6.0, NTx86.5.2, NTx86.5.1, NTamd64

[Intel.NTx86.6.0]
; DisplayName               Section           DeviceId
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A

[Intel.NTx86.5.2]

[Intel.NTx86.5.1]

[Intel.NTamd64]
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A

[Intel]
; Empty section, so this INF does not support Windows 2000.

;---------- DDInstall Sections -----------------------------------------------
; --------- Windows NT -----------------

[HECI_DDI]
CopyFiles=HECI_Files_Driver
AddReg=HECI_NT_AddReg

[HECI_DDI.Services]
AddService = MEI, %FLG_ADDREG_NOCLOBBER%, HECI_Service, winxp.EventLog

;---------- DDInstall Section Windows x64 ----------

[HECI_DDI_x64]
CopyFiles=HECIx64_Files_Driver
AddReg=HECI_NT_AddReg

[HECI_DDI_x64.Services]
AddService = MEIx64, %FLG_ADDREG_NOCLOBBER%, HECIx64_Service, winxpe.EventLog

; --------- Registry ----------------------

[HECI_NT_AddReg]
;reg-root,[subkey],[value-entry-name],[flags],[value]
HKR,,WdTimerTic,%REG_DWORD%,120

[HECI_NT_AddReg.Security]
"D:P(A;CI;GA;;;BA)(A;CI;GA;;;SY)"

[HECI_DDI.HW]
AddReg=HECI__NT_HW_AddReg

[HECI_DDI_x64.HW]
AddReg=HECI__NT_HW_AddReg

[HECI__NT_HW_AddReg]
HKR,,DeviceCharacteristics,0x10001,0x100
HKR,,Security,,"D:P(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)"

[HECI__NT_HW_AddReg.Security]
"D:P(A;CI;GA;;;BA)(A;CI;GA;;;SY)"

; --------- Service ----------------------

[HECI_Service]
DisplayName    = %HECI_SvcDesc%
ServiceType    = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType      = %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl   = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary  = %12%\HECI.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Extended Base

[HECIx64_Service]
DisplayName    = %HECI_SvcDesc%
ServiceType    = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType      = %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl   = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary  = %12%\HECIx64.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Extended Base

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Common base for all drivers for Eventlog and TextModeFlags
;
[winxp.EventLog]
AddReg = winxp.AddEventLog.reg

[winxp.AddEventLog.reg]
HKR, , EventMessageFile, 0x00020000, %EventLogMessageDllPath_winxp%
HKR, , TypesSupported,   0x00010001, 7

[winxpe.EventLog]
AddReg = winxpe.AddEventLog.reg

[winxpe.AddEventLog.reg]
HKR, , EventMessageFile, 0x00020000, %EventLogMessageDllPath_winxpe%
HKR, , TypesSupported,   0x00010001, 7

; --------- Files ----------------------

[HECI_Files_Driver]
HECI.sys,,,2

[HECIx64_Files_Driver]
HECIx64.sys,,,2
;--------- Strings Section ---------------------------------------------------

[Strings]
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EventLogMessageDllPath_winxp   = "%SystemRoot%\System32\netevent.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\HECI.sys"
EventLogMessageDllPath_winxpe  = "%SystemRoot%\System32\netevent.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\HECIx64.sys"

Provider = "Intel"
MfgName = "Intel"
HECI_DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface"
HECI_SvcDesc = "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface"
Location = "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface"

REG_SZ                      = 0x00000000
REG_MULTI_SZ                = 0x00010000
REG_EXPAND_SZ               = 0x00020000
REG_BINARY                  = 0x00000001
REG_DWORD                   = 0x00010001
REG_NONE                    = 0x00020001

SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER       = 0x00000001
SERVICE_FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER  = 0x00000002
SERVICE_ADAPTER             = 0x00000004
SERVICE_RECOGNIZER_DRIVER   = 0x00000008

SERVICE_BOOT_START          = 0x0
SERVICE_SYSTEM_START        = 0x1
SERVICE_AUTO_START          = 0x2
SERVICE_DEMAND_START        = 0x3
SERVICE_DISABLED            = 0x4

SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE        = 0x00000000
SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL        = 0x00000001
SERVICE_ERROR_SEVERE        = 0x00000002
SERVICE_ERROR_CRITICAL      = 0x00000003

FLG_ADDREG_NOCLOBBER        = 0x00000002
FLG_ADDREG_DELVAL           = 0x00000004
FLG_ADDREG_APPEND           = 0x00000008
FLG_ADDREG_KEYONLY          = 0x00000010
FLG_ADDREG_OVERWRITEONLY    = 0x00000020
FLG_ADDREG_64BITKEY         = 0x00001000
FLG_ADDREG_KEYONLY_COMMON   = 0x00002000
FLG_ADDREG_32BITKEY         = 0x00004000

SPSVCINST_STOPSERVICE			= 0x00000200
SPSVCINST_DELETEEVENTLOGENTRY	= 0x00000004

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-26 04:54:02)

Deathbot70 wrote:

Bingo, the Extracting of the drivers manually let me get the one I needed it was the HECIx64.sys, which is I belive what you had stated. Everything is up and running now. Thank you very much for your time and expertise!

Deathbot

Wow, it worked?  Hmmm.  That doesn't sound good for Intel if little ol' me can write a better .inf than their engineers. cool
I guess now I'll get requests to fix the rest of them too.  Yay, more work for me.

Deafbot70 wrote:

The computer has no Modem that I am aware of

Unless you count that TCP/IP stack built into the BIOS.  ie:  reminiscently like 'Intel Management Engine - SOL' = Serial Over LAN = PCI Communications device = Big Gaping Security Hole that survives an OS re-install?

TechDud wrote:

You probably need to extract the installshield file from intel, as posted by mr_smartepants with 7-zip.  Try to manually update

Deathbutt70 wrote:

Bingo, the Extracting of the drivers manually let me get the one I needed it was the HECIx64.sys

mr_smartepants wrote:

Wow, it worked?  Hmmm.

Forgive me, yet i'm not convinced that he used your hacked .Inf, unfortunately for all of us.

TechDud wrote:

He got what he wanted, whether it was a wise move, or not, and has thus far contributed nothing to the discussion.
For instance:  did mr_smartepants hack work?  Did the Vista WHQL signature validate properly in Win 7 with the manual install of the extracted files?

Can anyone speak to the potential security risk this type of 'Management Engine' could represent.  Better yet, can anyone comment on how to plug such a hole, without killing off other resources, such as changing the default password?

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-26 05:43:38)

TechDud wrote:

If only you could simply add some commented-out characters to the .Inf file to enable the file to generate the same sha1 CRC value of 'f8c713d374e9620476d5392729c4d79b412199c2' so that it does pass WHQL.  Of course, if that method worked, that would be disquieting, to say the least.

I found an interesting article pertaining to "Collision resistance" here --> http://unixwiz.net/techtips/iguide-crypto-hashes.html big_smile
Amazing how MD4 can be cracked by hand, MD5 has fallen as well, as referenced in the article.    I suppose the odds would be that there could be large numbers of collisions possible now with sha-1.
With a fixed length of bytes, it corresponds to 2^160 or 1461501637330902918203684832716300000000000000000(±99999999999999999) different combinations.

Last edited by TechDud (2011-08-27 00:05:49)