Topic: Slipstreaming Is Corrupting UBCD4Win?

I just ran into a problem that now happened on both my notebook and desktop.  This is very strange so here goes.

I had to rebuild my boot USB which is when I noticed the issue pop up.  I first noticed it in the main menu where a bunch of items are duplicated.  See snapshot here: http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4595 … rslips.jpg

Another problem was during installation of DriverPacks-provided drivers, I would be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD to find the files.  All this only happens after I slipstream.  UBCD4Win works fine using its base install.  I'm only slipstreaming the LAN and WLAN packs normally, but I tried it with others and the same thing happened.  This is for a BartPE configuration.

I'm using the latest everything.  I've completely removed and cleaned up and reinstalled everything I can think of which led me to try it on another computer which then exhibited the same thing.  Ideas?  Please let me know if there's more info I can provide.

Re: Slipstreaming Is Corrupting UBCD4Win?

the duplicate items on the start menu was fixed in the latest versions of UBCD4win... 3.5 or better

DO NOT slipstream anything into your UBCD4Win source

Use ONLY a Clean XP SP2 source... no hot fixes, no patches, no drivers, nothing removed or added. Clean XP SP2, only...

the only way to add driver to your source is with plugins... UBCD4win comes preloaded with DriverPacks... you can upgrade your DriverPacks BASE and DriverPacks if you run \plugin\DriverPacks.net\BASE\DPs_Base.exe and go to the update checker and download them...

Highlight DriverPacks BASE in the PEbuilder Plugins section, and hit configure button.

should work every time...

Hope that helps

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for the feedback OverFlow.  I'm curious why this would pop up now and out of the blue.  I've had ZERO issues up to this point for over a year or so using UBCD4Win 3.5 and my source is always XP with Sp3.  I even successfully built with the latest BASE and DriverPacks without problems until yesterday.  I don't get why this would happen all of a sudden like this.  Initially I thought I screwed something up on my notebook which is why I went to another computer to try it.

I'll have to try your suggestion of using the DriverPacks included with UBCD4Win.  Their BASE is the older version though and I've had nothing but problems downloading/upgrading the files with the application as many fail all the time.  There are several threads on that issue.

Last edited by chumbo (2010-06-24 13:06:34)

You can update the included DriverPacks and BASE versions... Please update BASE first wink

Speaking of lots of posts on stuff... there are Hundreds of posts that say BartPE is not compatible with SP3... BartPE was last updated to use SP2... and you will get the best results using that version big_smile. PEBuilder has a static list of files it uses... that list is version dependent... That is also why slipstreaming drivers into your source will blow up your PE install. IE your txtsetup.sif gets copied but not the files that were added to the source. So you end up with references to files that are never copied to your PE disc. (your txtsetup is effectively corrupted) Again since PEBuilder is not reading and copying files based on entries in your txtsetup.sif, but rather copying from a static (internal) list of files that means that any updates will add files to your source and those files will never be copied by PEBuilder to your PE disc... leaving it corrupted, with references to files that do not exist.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

chumbo wrote:

I had to rebuild my boot USB which is when I noticed the issue pop up.  I first noticed it in the main menu where a bunch of items are duplicated.

Another problem was during installation of DriverPacks-provided drivers, I would be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD to find the files.

Use post processing autobuild routine to sort menu items. And to edit *.inf files, this avoid prompt to insert the Windows XP CD.
Read let Builder create a ISO image. You may configure autobuild plugin not to create ISO file itself.

OverFlow wrote:

there are Hundreds of posts that say BartPE is not compatible with SP3...

Hundreds of posts are false. Plain BartPE is compatible with a plain XP SP3.

PEBuilder has a static list of files it uses...

There is a small static list. However most files are defined at layout.inf.
Required files/drivers are read from layout.inf. E.g. PEBuilder does add a file xpsp3res.dll.

That is also why slipstreaming drivers into your source will blow up your PE install. IE your txtsetup.sif gets copied but not the files that were added to the source. So you end up with references to files that are never copied to your PE disc. (your txtsetup is effectively corrupted) Again since PEBuilder is not reading and copying files based on entries in your txtsetup.sif, but rather copying from a static (internal) list of files that means that any updates will add files to your source and those files will never be copied by PEBuilder to your PE disc... leaving it corrupted, with references to files that do not exist.

In that case slipstreaming drivers didn't update layout.inf.
Yes, PEBuilder dosn't process txtsetup.sif.
Layout.inf file list dosn't match txtsetup.sif file list. The source files are kind of corrupt.
Broken input gives a broken output. This result to a corrupted BartPE. 

Slipstreaming a SP if fine.

Hey cdob!

always nice to see you thanks for your expertise...

PS did you see this... http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4651

Can you offer some help... she really needs a PE guru like you or Hilander999... As i told her, the question is beyond my ability.

Thanks cdob and OverFlow, I appreciate your feedback and expertise.  I'm learning quite a bit about all this and I appreciate your patience too.

@OverFlow,
Regarding the link above, man, I wish there's something i can do to help.  I did run across info on Kare's driver import/export in one of the posts here.  Referring to the products available at http://www.kare-net.de.  Those are commercial now, but if someone has the last version that was free, do you think may make things easier for this person to get audio working?  Just a thought.

Last edited by chumbo (2010-06-25 01:45:41)

cdob wrote:
chumbo wrote:

I had to rebuild my boot USB which is when I noticed the issue pop up.  I first noticed it in the main menu where a bunch of items are duplicated.

Another problem was during installation of DriverPacks-provided drivers, I would be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD to find the files.

Use post processing autobuild routine to sort menu items. And to edit *.inf files, this avoid prompt to insert the Windows XP CD.
Read let Builder create a ISO image. You may configure autobuild plugin not to create ISO file itself.

I'm curious why I would need to do this now when I never had to before.  Any idea why this would crop up like this?  Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up with recent attempts.  I did clean my system of the old versions.  I installed UBCD4Win 3.6 which was just released.

I ran BASE and only Slipstreamed LAN and WLAN with Mass Storage.

I ran UBCD4Win and built the BartPE build with Windows XP SP2 this time and got the same results, i.e., menus duplicated and driver loading asking for CDs.

I'm still learning on all this, but since the base configuration works fine "out of the box" of UBCD4Win and the problem only happens after I add the newer Mass Storage, LAN and WLAN, wouldn't you conclude the issue is coming from something not configured correctly in one of those driver packs?  What do you think?  Thanks.

You know, I don't know if anything changed or not in the driver packs but when the newer versions were released I had grabbed them right away and I had no issues with those.  I later re-grabbed them when I was reorganizing and it started after that.  I'm going to go back to 10.05 of WLAN/LAN and see if it makes a difference opposed to the 10.05.1 I'm using.  I'll report back.

I'm completely dumbfounded at this point.  Going back to 10.05 didn't work.  I even want back to UBCD4Win 3.5 and the previous BASE and am still getting the same results.  This just makes no sense to me whatsoever.  I even tried turning off my visurs/spyware checker during the builds to ensure that wasn't causing any issues.  I just don't it.

@OverFlow, you were right about the txtsetup.sif file.  In a couple cases, I actually got the message on boot up about this file being invalid.  But I still don't get why this started happening "out of the blue" when I had no issues prior...ever.

@cdob, I don't know how to fiddle with the autobuild, but I'll read up on that.  By the way, I didn't understand your sentence, "Read let Builder create a ISO image."  What is this in reference to?  Thank you.

chumbo wrote:

I don't know how to fiddle with the autobuild, but I'll read up on that.  By the way, I didn't understand your sentence, "Read let Builder create a ISO image."

Short simple answer: create a ISO image always.

Last edited by cdob (2010-06-28 06:09:39)

cdob wrote:
chumbo wrote:

I don't know how to fiddle with the autobuild, but I'll read up on that.  By the way, I didn't understand your sentence, "Read let Builder create a ISO image."

Short simple answer: create a ISO image always.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

more detail...

There a a ton of post processing scripts that UBCD4win runs as part of creating the ISO from PEBuilder.
If you always select the UBCD4Win PEBuilder to create your ISO then teh "post Processing" scripts get run.
There are too many tweaks and optimizations to list here, but i jsut want to reinforce that this step should NEVER be skipped wink big_smile. All of your menu issues will be gone, and your PE Disc will boot much faster and take less space.

Thanks OverFlow.  I'll get back to this next week when I'm back as I'm traveling right now.  I appreciate the extra info. smile

Hey guys.  Thanks for pointing out the ISO inclusion as really being mandatory as that did resolve the problem.  Using UBUSB I'm able to boot directly or via ISO in RAM and all works great.  Thanks a lot.  I still have a lot to learn so I'll keep digging. smile