Topic: "Uni" Image wont boot (cycles) but not a HAL issue.

Hello again,

Ive now made a image on a physical computer that is driver-wise "universal" (via skin layers guide without running the makePNF.exe step) and HAL set to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). Thus this image "should" be universal right? IE ive covered 2 of the 3 bases of making universal images - the other being mass storage drivers right?

Now my logic puzzle is this. I usually make my images on a physical machine (HP d330s) which is IDE hdd and i have a universal image from that that works. (except i stuffed the KTD stage and it asks for a driver prompts alot). This time ive made my universal image on a computer that has SATA controller. I didnt think this would be a problem (being an idiot) and when i created a .WIM and imageX'd it to a new computer it only cycles.

Now ...

Reading alot of posts here i found a nice description somewhere that says that "if its a HAL issue, you'll cycle. If its a storage controller issue, you'll blue screen" -- is this correct? If it is then my HAL setting must be wrong? But ive gone back and set my HAL to  ACPI MultiProcessor PC AND even standard PC and it still cycles. (at safe mode it dies at mup.sys)

Two questions:

1) What are the reasons why my image would my image be cycling? OR it is positivley HAL related?
2) How can i get my image off this computer so i can deply to other computers? (If indeed it is a storage controller issue?) What steps are required.

Before i get acosted - i did read all the threads and forums. Alot more things made more sense after being forced to re-read things so i wont complain about that but i have tried and am looking for some help.

Thanks

Re: "Uni" Image wont boot (cycles) but not a HAL issue.

Can i get any help with this please?

Can you post your mass storage section of your sysprep file?

Mup.sys is usually video driver related. I'd kill off the drivers for the video for now.

Mup is related to the video driver like Kickarse mentionned, you also ommit to mention which OS and SP you are using...please be specific. I know there is an windows intel video patch (post sp2) that you must have if you are deploying XP SP2. If that's the case, welcome in 2009 and deploy XP SP3 big_smile

I hope your source image has no video driver installed too. I also suggest you do your source image from a virtual machine instead it's way more efficient.

btw, ACPI MultiProcessor PC should always be used with P4 HT, dual cores, Pentium D and 2 physical cpus. Standard HAL should never be used, for single CPU use ACPI Advanced Power etc... If you want to change your HAL after your image has been deployed, use OfflineSyprep in BartPE/WindowsPE/WinBuilder.

Mup.sys is network related not video related. See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi … 2-017.mspx under technical details for more information.

Also good info here :

http://www.abcarticledirectory.com/Arti … or-/101807

Last edited by woody22 (2009-08-05 10:27:41)

Hi guys -- thanks for the responses. Unfortunatley i hae had to rebuild my potential universal image machine so i cant provide my mass storage section anymore.
So guys you suggested to remove drivers before sysprepping? Is this for all drivers or just the video? This is definatley a step i do not do.

Also why is working on vmware more efficeient?

I will restart my universal image quest and return with uninstalled video card results.

It's most likely not the mup.sys that's the problem but the driver that loads after it. So it's going to be kinda hard to pinpoint which driver it is exactly. But if you only do one pack at a time you can pinpoint it a little easier.