Topic: Vista driver packs, do they actually work ?

I must be doing something wrong since ive tried grabbing all the vista driver packs burn them to dvd and goto  device manager and let any devices scan the disc yet no reaction.

I must have tried  a few 100 pcs over the last year and its never picked up not even 1 driver missing its like its not even bothering to scan the disc or theres no valid driver.....

I get the same reaction from 3rd party driver packs that claim to be "vista" compatible but they have never really worked...they always seem to be fine for XP however.

But alas XP is fading away its all focus is now moving towards vista/windows 7

So has anyone found any vista driver packs that actuall work out there?  One where u can just right click on the device that hasnt loaded under deivce manager and just scan away the disc ?

Re: Vista driver packs, do they actually work ?

Geez, do you really think we'd release a utility that didn't work? wink
I'll admit that Vista-Tool 1.0 is confusing to use.  It took me a long time to get things right, but once you got it...you got it. smile
There is a guide you know...

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

thx for the info

but isnt that a slip stream tool to integrate the vista drivers ?

I was seeing if theres basicly a set of drivers that you can put onto a dvd and in device manager if theres any yellow esclamption marks you can simply right click and hit update driver and it finds it and installs it off the dvd.

The driver packs on this site for XP work perfect and save much headache but sadly ive not found the vista packs to work in the sameway.

Or do they only work once its slip streamed into a copy of vista ?

We assume you extracted them from the 7zip archives and burned them to a DVD in your above attempts?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

We assume you extracted them from the 7zip archives and burned them to a DVD in your above attempts?

Yup smile

extracted the files and left them onto a dvd disc.....

by any means just wondered why I never got it to work under vista,  the XP driver packs are working fine can usualy grab 60-70% drivers from the XP driver disc but on Vista its like 10% successfully I think out of say 10 missing drivers in device manager maybe 1 will get 1 done.

The problem also exist on 3rd party driver packs ie you get these packs like this :  100.000 Windows Drivers (For VISTA+XP+ME+98+95+2000+20 03)

Which claim to work under vista yet it doesnt,  yet when u let it scan under device manager under XP it works smile

just wondered why this was the case.... am surprised no one else has mentoned this either !

The answer is fairly obvious...

our audience uses the DriverPacks to add drivers to the installation media.
So there is absolutely no reason to use the DriverPacks after the install since the drivers have already been added...
Hardware does not add itself... so no new drivers should be required after the install.

I have never serviced a users machine that had no drivers installed... not once in 30 years... It is a strange / unusual request.
So I am not surprized at all that no one has asked for this before... Quite the opposite, I am surprized you need this...

Really the only time you need a full set of DriverPacks is when you load the machine... and if you slipstream them with the Vista Tool then...

Vista is a a real stickler for driver signing...
My guess would be Muiz has broken signing on some of the drivers to make them coexist.
During setup we can tell Vista to use unsigned drivers... During an ODD search you can't (or haven't) disable driver signing policy. Just a guess.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

thx for the info I think your right since vista almost ignors the driver cd altogether....

Im too surprised no one uses the driver packs in the way I do considering I am an computer engineer I get customers pcs on a daily basis where they have deleted there drivers or installed a oem or retail vista or xp and of course device manager is flooded with yellow exclamation marks and there usualy complaining no sound and why they cant adjust resoultion. So it is pretty common to myself well it has been for the past 10 years smile

I wish I could slip stream but the way my work is I need  it the other way round sadly...

Anyhow hopefully windows 7 comes with many drivers integrated or it has better online support since vista was pretty good, so was sP3 for xp.

Google DPInst.exe... wink

We use the XP version of the tool with the XP packs... (The Stand Alone Drivers feature of BASE [SAD])

DPInst is what is refered to as a Software First Installer. (See you are not the only lunatic... LOL.) (I almost named the SAD platform "SoFI")

I was lead bench tech in the most respected shop in my area for many years myself back in the 90's... I understand all too well what you mean.
Most people want to upgrade drivers just for bragging rights... not to fix anything... They just wish to say they have the NEWEST one... they rarely even know what changed between the versions (i ask them every time an no one has ever known the answer... they reply IDK it is newer so I want it... then i ask were you haveing an issue with the old one... to which they reply "NO"... then i get to have my fun... by quoting an old saying... "IF it ain't broke, don't fix it!"   Things get to become old sayings over time bbecause they contain wisdom wink.  Never update a driver or a BIOS just because there is an update... Only update to cure an issue (an issue that you are personaly experiencing). Otherwise you are likely to take something that was working perfectly and make it a mire...

I belive you can Implement the Vista DriverPacks with the DPInst tool for Vista... this has not been done yet to our knowledge.
However it is a good feature and one we do support with NT5.x OS's

Since dpinst tool has proven valuable for NT5 i assume it will also be on NT6...

Perhaps we can help each other... the result might be SAD for NT6 for all of our users!

All things do have a proper place... in your situation a SoFI does seem to be an appropriate application. you may in many cases have no choice but to repair the OS (because the customer can't find thier software install media or keys for example) where as most of us who deal with corporate enviroment desktops can simply re-image wink and being a tech you are prepared to test for and eliminate issues that may arise as a result of updating drivers.

Thanks for the info ill try grabbing that tool

looks handy and may just work,  for now ill try f8 and disabling the driver verification prompt and see if that offers a quick fix hopefully vista will update drivers that way if not that tool looks to do the job also.  Yeah its shocking since I see engineers pass thru my work place fixing other customers pcs and there literally just standing around for 45 minutes scratching there heads wondering what this driver is under device manager, its the driver packs from here that saves there bacon.   Ive added uniblue driver scanner and driver genius/drivermax and few other proggys to the fold to help also but its much easier/faster to just have the driver off the disc.

It was just a shame for the last year + we all been scratching our heads under Vista lol

Anyhow heres hoping luckerly Vista on its own is pretty good and many times ill clean oem install vista and all drivers are picked up ! blessing if that occurs !

anyhow will let you know how it goes on

Found my soloution in the form of this : http://www.msfn.org/board/2-t129403.html

Does exactly what I wanted,  install any o/s and enter the disc and it magicly takes care of all the hardwork of installing your missing drivers automaticly smile