Topic: [CLSD] A few general questions about the driverpacks

Hi guys,

I don't have much experience with the driverpacks (I haven't actually tried them at all myself), and I would have a few questions about them.

First of all, I didn't find a general driverpacks discussion section so just posted here, please move this topic if it's in the wrong place. smile

So the question is that are the "supported devices" listings exhaustive, I mean, do they include all devices that are supported? I am asking because I did not find some common devices in the listings. For example, the Radeon drivers in Graphics A don't seem to cover the 48xx series at all, only up to 47xx.

Also, I don't seem to find Asus Xonar drivers in either of the Sound packs. The Xonar DX model has a C-Media CMI8788 audio chip if that matters, but didn't find any menton of that either.

I'm also wondering about SiS 530 drivers (a very old IGP). Graphics C seems to have a small mention, "SiS A530_A531", is that the one?

Next question, is that the older Nvidia drivers in Graphics C seem to overlap each other. Like multiple different drivers support the same cards? I'm pretty sure you have it handled correctly, but just wanted to make sure. smile

Third question: Are the Radeon HDMI Audio drivers included in any of the packs? Didn't find any mention in the lists. Newer Radeons have a sound chip inbuilt so that it could be used with HDMI, and the drivers started to ship with the main Catalyst package in version 9.3 IIRC.

I tried searching for all these questions on the forum but didn't find anything related.

Here's also the HWIDs for the devices I mentioned:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00\4&239521B6&0&0008: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82751043&REV_00\5&1F67CFAE&0&2000E0: ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device

Thanks for reading. smile

Re: [CLSD] A few general questions about the driverpacks

Wow, lots of questions here.  I'll try to catch them all.
The Radeon 48xx series isn't covered by the 812 release of DriverPack Graphics A.  But it IS supported in our nightly testing builds.  And very stable too. smile
I own an Asus Xonar DX (very nice!) and it also is supported in our nightly test builds.  Although looking at our release page, it seems we haven't updated the sound DriverPacks in almost a year.  Shame on us!
DriverPack Graphics C is our 'Catch all' graphics dp and gets all the outdated/obsolete drivers.  We are planning on moving all the drivers that haven't been updated for several years into an 'Archive' dp.  But that's some time down the road yet.
HWID overlap is OK within a vendor's driver range.  But we work hard to eliminate any overlap between vendors.  That's bad.
The ATI HDMI audio driver is in the audio DriverPacks. wink

Thanks for reading, and enjoy your stay at DriverPacks.net.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Thank you for your answers, and I will try to stay around! wink

I forgot to ask: How long will it take (about) until final versions of the packs that include the said drivers are released as 'final'? I understand they will be "ready when they are ready", but do you have a rough estimation, like in one week or two months or so?

Normally, we require positive test results from at least three of our testing team members for any changed drivers.  Any negative tests takes us back to the drawing board.
For example, DriverPack Sound A, we've significantly changed how we package the Creative drivers, and it's causing problems for some users.  That explains somewhat the delay between releases.

We can release DriverPacks once a year/month/week...but why bother with updated drivers if they will only cause you more problems? wink
Stability is our primary goal, not currency.
We have no set schedule.  They'll be done when they're done. smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Hey Dad!... Are we there yet wink. lol

If drivers were all written well and had clear, uniform, viable standards then we could release every day...
We don't live in that universe at the moment wink - But we hope to someday ! big_smile

Until then we just have to massage them into working DriverPacks -
that usually means many failed runs - post wait for a tester to report - back to the drawing board - repeat...

We can always use more testers and I have given up trying to get help with the packs.
If it were not for Mr_smartepants and JakeLD there would be no updates at all wink (thanks a million you two)

Keep your eyes peeled they will be released soon I am sure (er hope) wink

We don't like to have support issues with our releases... and we have a darned good average wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.