Topic: License Question

It says:
You are not permitted to redistribute the DriverPacks without the author's explicit, written permission.
So you have written drivers to support all the hardware listed, ie:
3ware
ACARD
Adaptec (includes HP/Compaq)
AMCC
AMD
ATI
Areca
ALi/ULi
Dell
Emulex (clusters)
Highpoint
IBM
Intel
JMicron
ITE
LSI
Marvell
Mylex
nVidia
Promise
QLogic
Silicon Image
SiS
VIA
And want us to use yours rather than original ones written by the mfgrs?
Or you want us to contact them as you have?

Re: License Question

It's a good question... I had the same one when I got here.

These systemfiles are provided by the manufacturers and they are untouched and usually the latest version, and unless we have been forced to remove a HWID from an inf to prevent conflicts between generic drivers we don't change a thing. 
We avoid this like the plague because maintaining driversigning is our highest priority. Obviously.
Driversigning is THE key to success and is usually lost with even the smallest changes.

We don't cause them support issues, they ignore us. They all know we are here...
I wish they didn't ignore us, then we could make the packs perfect. wink
In fact we provide an alternate support avenue for issues and provide feedback from a large technically savvy audience.
We may even free up a small percentage of their resources.
Don't let the small size of the forum fool you. The best of the best frequent these pages including OEMs (anonymously).
A very small percentage of our users actually post. (If it is not less than 1%, then I am sure it is a single digit number)
Since the system works so well and is so simple to use there is no need for lots of posts...

The redistribute denial is reference our DriverPacks BASE app and DriverPacks, and not for the reason you might conclude as we are open source and free to all.
We believe it is important to see the change-logs.
Having to come here to get them ensures they know where they can get help.
It is too difficult to make people aware of things otherwise. IE it is to their benefit not ours.

Have a great day.

Do you have a need to redistribute them?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hi,
I have some good contacts opportunities, and I am not the only MVP using DriverPacks.
I got here because a fellow MVP led me here. I sorta hung around and started to help.
There are approx 4000 active MVP awardees in the world nowadays. Most of them I never have touched base with. The fields we post in and are interested in is so varied I easily lose track.
Do not think I am the only cruizer.
I cruized and googled for a solution to a problem and got here on a recommendation by a fellow MVP, and then started spend time here.
Spending large amounts of time on it is the only difference between the mvp I know to have used and recommended DriverPacks and I.

Don't think too much of the title I carry.
Think of it as a title which gives a person the abilty to test in MSDN provided OS environments, and with contacts he doesn't want to lose.
I won't risk any production machine to test experimental work (software betas) and DriverPacks testpacks.
I build machines and dedicate them, long term, for DriverPacks testing. I sometimes buy "CRAPOLA" hardware for that.
Hehe, the worst combo motherboard you can think of (after serious reports to investigate on..) is the best.
Failure is the way to succes. (I found nice shirts with that slogan.)

It is one of the reasons my battle cry became "help us help you."
Nobody figured Bâshrat the Sneaky could pull this when he took the task.
Nobody figured we doubled the amount of supported drivers after that.
But, we did, with a lot less conflicts.
MVP are like that.. We help you help the users. We build community.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

[GUIRunOnce]
     command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

Does the above indicate redistribution of driverpack software or is the line optional and\or removable.  I am concerned about licensing issues.

Lou

Last edited by loufarr (2010-10-14 09:37:45)

Tested without the following line--edited out of winnt.sif

[GUIRunOnce]

We are only using several signed text mode drivers for our setup.  Since there are no binaries now utilized in the final Windows setup, can I then assume that licensing issues are moot?

The main reason for using your program here is to automate text mode driver insertion and not rely on nLite.

Love the 3rd party feature, y'all !!

Thanks,

Lou

Successful test/setup of Windows 2003 R2 Ent x86 without the line:

[GUIRunOnce]

Text mode drivers inserted without need for F6 keypress and setup for Windows 2003 R2 completes with no bluescreen/crash.

Comments, cautions are welcome.

Thanks for your patience.

Lou

The DriverPacks Finisher is used for the main DriverPacks... if you are not useing any then it is optional... Sound, Video / graphics, LAN and other main packs require it... also if you do not run DriverPacks Finisher the driverpacks are not removed and the DriverPacks related files are not cleaned up.

If you are only adding Mass storage textmode (the F6 drivers) then that line is not added...
If that line is added by DriverPacks BASE then it is needed, if it weren't needed it would not have been added.

DriverPacks Finisher has nothing to do with licensing, it is a DriverPacks file that "finishes" installing your drivers and cleans up after the install.

Since you are not redistributing the DriverPacks and DriverPacks BASE (think 'mirror' of our downloads) you are not "redistributing" our software wink.

HOWEVER...

Since it is VERY illegal to redistrubute Windows Operating Systems (Per the Microsoft EULA)
I am CERTAIN that you would not even consider, let alone ask us questions about, redistributing a slipstreamed set of drivers with an OS.
That is absolutely a licence violation, Microsofts not ours.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

The client purchases the MS license and we provide instructions on how to install the 3rd party drivers. 

Utilizing your program, tutorials and tips helped quite a bit.

Thank you for your reply.

Lou

Welcome to DriverPacks Lou,
thanks for the kind words!