Topic: FILE NOT FOUND in TXTmode

Dear Gentlebeings,

yesterday we was bughunting and we learned about some peculiarities.
I have the habit of slipstreaming DriverPacks into new copies of source.
When I didn't, it usually was with a newer testfile on the same OS, and I am in the habit of clearing QSC folder.

Now, without explaining all of the things we found out, I will advise all users that they clear QSC cache between slipstream, and that they use source copies that had no previous mass storage slipstreamed into them.

Of course, you can store copies of Nlited/RVM'd source on hard disk and we can call that the "clean source", but I will advise you slipstream DriverPacks into a new copy of that..

What is the issue?
Well, for instance; you have copies of the various sources without DriverPacks on hard disk, and you slipstream XP with QSC ON, and next you slipstream a copy of 2003 with QSC ON. Well, 2003 setup will come up with a file not found during TXTmode.
The file will get found when you slipstream a clean source of 2003 after you clearded QSC cache.
This happens when you do 2000 as second OS as well. If you do not clear QSC cache, then 2000 will halt on file not found. (different file)
It was like chasing ghosts. What we fixed unglued itself?
Anyway, the thing you should remember is that I advise, for the time being, that when you slipstream with QSC ON, that you do so with TXTmode folder removed from QSC folder. AND, that you should NOT slipstream mass storage into a source that was already slipstreamed with another version of Mass storage. Please use a new copy of source.

QSC ON does not add much time for TxTmode, and method one slipstream has a bug when you turn it OFF.
It usually works for you in Method two with QSC OFF.
(I will run a series of tests on M2 with QSC OFF tomorrow.)
I have to thank Jeff for the long sessions in which we discovered this peculiarity.
---------
OK, it is edit time.

The tests with method 2 and QSC OFF worked just fine.
When I started to advise to always turn QSC ON in Method Two, it was because we got reports about failed slipstreams.
When we told them to turn it ON, the user had success.
However, we have now learned that this advice is probably not the best advice.

It is still mandatory that you turn ON QSC in Method ONE.. So you better CLEAN that cache (remove mass/txtmode) when you next do another Operating System.
It is still best paractice to use a clean source.  This can already have SP and hotfixes and so on..
When you use another version of mass storage, you had better use a copy of the clean source that has no DriverPacks streamed in.
----------
Jeff is coding DpsBase, and we had many sessions in MSN where we banged heads together.
One of the reasons some people have a messed up install source is that many users were led to believe that Base cleans up previous slipstreams quite nicely.
Well, that is NOT a fact. To the contrary. It left behind files from the old slipstream which can mess up the new slipstream and most often this is undetected because it still works.
The people reporting issues and many (if not all) experienced testers would start fresh when they felt that they needed a clean fresh source, and I assumed all experienced users know that it is not a good idea to repeatedly slipstream different packs to a previously slipstreamed source.

Base is not bad when it is used with prudence.
Mass storage has seen drastic changes, and we all learned.
What I learned yesterday has had me make new test files.
The latest I have was extensively tested in method 2.
(Textmode is same in M2 and M1.. The methods differ in how the drivers are made ready for Windows PnP.)
The Tut in my signature will get updated.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-02-10 11:04:39)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: FILE NOT FOUND in TXTmode

What *exactly* is left behind then? I used it to clean the source plenty of times, and it never failed on me.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Hi,
When I select NONE in M2 to do cleanup, it leaves behind all the txtmode drivers in i386.
It does not restore the correct setup.exe. (the cab contains iLE )
edit; winnt.sif is not restored either.
-------
edit TWO; forget edit two.. it isn't cleanup doing this..
I didn't know about these things before.. We started looking hard this week and came across peculiarities like these.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-02-10 19:40:49)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

The latest dp_base works flawlesly with sysprep big_smile

as if sysprep were supported ;P

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hi
I thought cleanup did this.. but?
On clean source, NONE, M2, you get iLE's file in cab.
Now, the next? What is this is caused by?
When you next do M1, you find setupORG in cab. (wrong name).
(M1 adds finisher etc in $oem$\$1).

If you would next do another OS type (server2003 after 2000, for instance), M1, with the QSC cache created/used in previous M1, you get a bad install. File-not-found.
These are all good reasons to tell people to use clean source, and to clean cache.
--
Yes, I see many improvements in RC2 and hope to soon get a RC4.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi...

juste an idea.........and what about to delete QSC option ?? (I mean QSC is just to make integration speed with methode one and it's not necessary,I prefere that program delete cache each time and extract file again fol ant new integration............it will take more time but it's better I think)

Hi,
the Cache contains the mass TXTmode drivers and its INI, and that's the part what does not take long.
That's also the part that can mess you up.
You can delete that single folder from the cache.
Base will detect that it does not exist, it will detect that the others exist, and only creates the missing txtmode cache.
The big packs take much longer to create, and the content does not change between different OS, whereas the content for TXTmode is different for a different OS.

If you want to do all versions of XP, you keep that cache.
You kan keep the cache when you slip home, home sp1, home sp2 (sp3?), pro, pro sp1, pro sp2, MCE..
(If you wonder why one would possibly need all these versions, it is because the licence key of a home gold won't work in a home sp2 you buy. The key for a gold will work in a gold you updated to sp2 yourself, though. When you have these versions, you can work on machines with the key found on their COA sticker.)
I believe Jeff will code a solution for the mass storage cache.
The advice is valid "for the time being".

This is not a problem many have, but people using M1 (which currently requires you have QSC ON) and those that used M2 with QSC ON could be affected by this. The reports they posted made me spend a lot of time while I tried to fix, and later on the fix that worked here unglued itself? It was an undetected "feature" that did this to the poster. I am glad we found the reason.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I made for my self a little remover,
that everything remove's,
but not this three things (Drivers - 3rd Party DriverPacks and the Zip DPs_BASE_7052).

just unzip DPs_BASE_7052 again.
so i will  always begin whit a clean driver building.

maybe a idea for you guys

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/Av2BDsDf_iiqO8a4dpI49DKicUs_0zEQtEPcTGyCqV4/perpetual:forever/userbar/tester-1.png

Slipstream drivers to the \I386 directory of all supported OSs by DriverPacks always works in "competition" to previous changes done by driverpacks and changes done by other slipstreamers (Nlite, RyanVM, Sereby, ...) So I think the only clean solution to this problem will be an undo file or directory within the destination dirctory. This file must contain all changes done by DP's Base. Each run with slipstreaming "ON" then must do the following steps:
- Search for old DriverPacks changes without this undo information and warn the user if something is found *1)
- Search for the undo file or directory
- If it exists undo all changes *2)
- Delete the undo information
- Do the new slipstream and create the new undo information

*1) changes like that that the current version of Base does.
*2) but only, if no other program has replaced a file that had been updated by DriverPacks. That means we must keep the old and the new version of files replaced by DriverPacks Base and store them in the undo information. If Base detects a change to a file from an external source it should not begin it's undo process and stop with an error message.

So each slipstreaming of DP's Base will internally begin with a clean copy in relation to previous changes from DP's Base. The cache must not contain any information related to the destination OS / directory. It only may contain information from DP's source files that do not depend on the destination of the integration, so the cache only needs to be changed, if there are any changes in source file(s).

it sounds so simple when you don't have a clue what is involved...

here is a thought...   i'll code, you test...

for the problems jaak is attempting to explain
the fixes were implemented by me before I even told him about them.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Well, I at least learned how to test the solution when it comes available

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

i need to execute 20 or more different runs on them to make sure they are solid before i put them on test as a beta. 
there are lots of combinations to eliminate. text on / off, m1 / m2, with and without different types of packs.
RC versions are more like a hundred runs.
That is how i found and fixed all kinds of stuff. I test. not just a quick run useing my standard config.
I test every possable combo checking them off a list as i go fixing anything however small that i find.
i check to see if things were done i look at the files i read the logs (i check the cleanup).

if you want to help

instead of telling a senior member how they should be doing thier FREE work.

perhaps you should see if you can find a bug to report and be useful.