Topic: About my absence

Hey all.

Yes, I'm alive. I'm doing well, too. But school has been very demanding lately -- I'm currently working on a Reversi game, written in C++ and Qt, yay for cross-platform! (If anybody would like to get his hands on it, just request it in the comments.) Before that, it was the Drupal freelance work that was demanding. But, in exchange, the new site will have some very cool features.

I admit that I should have posted more status updates. But I also have to say that I simply felt I had to take a break from this project. The advantage is that the site will kick ass. I've learned *a lot* the past months. I've become pretty proficient at Drupal, and have even been hired by Drupal companies to write Drupal modules for them. Thus, I've actually been paid to learn how to write a professional-grade DriverPacks.net site. If any of my clients read this: thanks again! wink smile

As muiz pointed out, the time since the sponsoring round for the VPS and now, has been way too long to see no results at all. So hereby, I'd like to apologize towards those who sponsored back then. No worries, it won't take 10 months.

But I will be back, after the upcoming exam period. Promise. And the DriverDB that I promised, will come. And *very cool stuff* will be made possible thanks to that.

Finally, I'd like to thank muiz, mr_smartepants, Jaak, Jeff Herre, helmi, and so many others, for keeping this project alive. You guys rock! smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Re: About my absence

you provided the vehicle... we just did the chinese fire drill.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Yay, the Chief is still around! big_smile

/waiting eagerly on that new site layout 'n stuff wink

Finaly.... smile

Hi,
I'd like to know what format we need to put collected data in, because I have this uncanny feeling the new site will make have us change the way we work now.

To explain, at the moment, we collect data with "spotlight" and then use its raw CSV output and put it in Excell (We could put it in a Dbase too. ) because we found a way to quickly show duplicated hardware ID's (or version, or filename.. There are like eight important columns in that file.).

I knew Bâshrat the Sneaky was busy.
I hope he gets us on the track to the future.

Last edited by Jaak (2007-11-20 02:56:45)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

That's one of the pain points indeed, Jaak. It's certain that your workflow will change. But I'm trying to not make it too complex. That's actually one of the most difficult parts of the new website... especially since we have to handle such big files, and let's face it, plain HTTP uploads (via forms) suck for that. So we'll need either something like on-the-fly created FTP sites, or an FTP dropbox, or WebDAV instead of FTP. That's not yet decided.

The spotlight utility is a free technet download used by "syprep" people.
The output is either INI or CSV, and the operator has to manually change the batch to needs.

What We did, is something like this.
We made the INFinfofinder cmd ask for the source folder. (drag drop it into it).
Once we have the raw CSV output, it can be put to use.

Oh, spotlight uses a VBS script. It is free to all.

Araxis, that is not free. Winmerge is next best. These tools are used to compare sytemfiles and folders.
JakeLD mentioned duplifind to get internal duplicates found in a single file.
The hilite formula for excell posted by one of our members was valuable, and that is doing it for the HWID or any other Column one puts it to. (Excell has a limit on those formula. Our need is met by doing it on one or another, the human brain can devise ways to put this to use..)

These are what I use now.
Ruud, Alex, Erik, Jon, Jeff, Geert, and all the testers I do not mention have had access to this tool for a good while.
It's been on ftp by me for more than half a year before I personally looked at it..
Now I use it.

Last edited by Jaak (2007-11-20 05:10:09)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'm glad to see you back.

Great to hear you're doing OK.

/me waiting for that new website

The packs have been maintained quite well, no worries there.

Hope to have you back soon.

R.

Jaak: as we discussed on IM, my goal is to automate most of that.

OverFlow, Helmi, muiz, JakeLD & dnoiz: thanks! smile

I am late but it is good to hear from you Bashrat smile

Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 | AMD X2 4000 (Brisbane) | Gigabyte 8600GT | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Samsung SH-S203B | Samsung HD501LJ |