Topic: Creating a seperate driver update CD

I would like to create a CD that installs all unknown hardware devices for a specific range of computers, fully automated.

The idea is that a user has a fresh Windows XP install and is missing a few drivers, for example for the graphics card (missing ATI drivers). The CD should then be inserted and, probably using some sort of application, Windows should install all the missing drivers from the CD. The CD will obviously contain some driverpacks. This application would require some sort of interaction with the Windows API, initiating a driver scan for all uninstalled hardware devices.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

Re: Creating a seperate driver update CD

if you have a windows install taht doesnt have all the drivers installed already it would be assumed that it is a new install?

Since our project slipstreams drivers into the install package we tend to avoid unsupported devices in device manager.

so... I am not sure how to make windows "re-enumerate", but if you use the driverpacks as intended you won't have this problem.

If you were useing method one to create your disk all the drivers would be available to windows (search the cd from new hardware wizard) however you would have to either uninstall all of them and search for new hardware or manualy update each unsupported device.

does anyone else have any thoughts on this...?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

if you have a windows install taht doesnt have all the drivers installed already it would be assumed that it is a new install?

Yes. Actually it would be installed using an UA XP CD, but that CD could miss some (new) drivers.

OverFlow wrote:

Since our project slipstreams drivers into the install package we tend to avoid unsupported devices in device manager.

If one wouldn't be using your driverpacks, the result could be "Unsupported device" in the device manager, yes.

OverFlow wrote:

so... I am not sure how to make windows "re-enumerate", but if you use the driverpacks as intended you won't have this problem.

I don't want to use them as intended. If I would, this topic wouldn't exist.

OverFlow wrote:

If you were useing method one to create your disk all the drivers would be available to windows (search the cd from new hardware wizard) however you would have to either uninstall all of them and search for new hardware or manualy update each unsupported device.

That's exactly what I want; some software application or script that starts a search for drivers for each unsupported device. This application would then be bundled with your driverpacks on to a 2nd CD, accompanied with the UA XP CD.

What about this thread?
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=960

Is that not what you want?

Jig: do you wish to update any already-installed devices (usually the microsoft signed ones) with updated drivers contained in DriverPacks as well as the missing drivers (the devices with yellow explanation mark) ???? If so, we're in the same boat my friend.

binary64 wrote:

Jig: do you wish to update any already-installed devices (usually the microsoft signed ones) with updated drivers contained in DriverPacks as well as the missing drivers (the devices with yellow explanation mark) ???? If so, we're in the same boat my friend.

Actually only the missing drivers, but updating existing ones wouldn't be bad either.

Helmi, thats about slipstreaming drivers in your UA XP CD. I want a seperate driver only CD, no Windows on that one.

Jig wrote:

Helmi, thats about slipstreaming drivers in your UA XP CD. I want a seperate driver only CD, no Windows on that one.

Err, you sure about that?

Slipstreaming the drivers is what the DriverPacks are all about in the first place, but that link I gave you should be about how to use these DriverPacks to install drivers on an already installed Windows rather than having to reinstall with the slipstreamed disc.

I haven't tried that method myself yet for the lack of need but the way I understand that HOWTO (and here's always the possibility I'm dead wrong wink) is exactly what you want to achieve...

I suggest you just give Jaak's TUT a go and see how it works out, eh? smile

I'll work on this, hoping it is a simple as it is in my mind....

Don't know why we can't use an autorun.inf to initiate the hardware driver installs, and set driverpackpath to the cd...

OR, autorun.inf to copy the DP's and manually run dpsfinisher...

The advantage would be, drivers would be available when hw changes....

Will work on it as time permits... maybe i did give ya an idea or two tho

always remember.....
YCGIYWG (You Can't Get, If You Won't Give)
DizzyDen

DizzyDen wrote:

The advantage would be, drivers would be available when hw changes....

That's the purpose of KTD, Keep The Drivers.
Granted, it will only provide those that were current at the date of installation, but at least you got some drivers supporting your newly-added HW.

Of course, it would be great to be able to update those KTD'ed drivers with new releases of the DriverPacks.
At least on systems that do not get reinstalled every six months or so... wink

hi
in that sticky, I just wrote two new batchfiles.

fini.cmd might be what you want.
The fun part is this, all you have to do is run the batchfile with a slipstreamed DVD (method TWO) in the drive.

It is going to make my life easier too.
It combines a post install KTD and post install finisher session.

SET TAGFILE=\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DP*.7z "%SystemDrive%\"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"

start %SystemDrive%\Mute.exe on
start %SystemDrive%\DSPdsblr.exe
%SystemDrive%\makePNF.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\
xcopy %SystemRoot%\Driverpacks\*.* %SystemDrive%\ /y /i /e /h
start %SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe
taskkill /f /im DSPdsblr.exe
%SystemDrive%\Mute.exe off

exit

have fun, and do not shoot the pianist.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Oh
with the new version of that batch file, all you need is the OEM folder and the batchfile.
So you can really go for ALL packs, and not worry about the size.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Helmi wrote:
Jig wrote:

Err, you sure about that?
I suggest you just give Jaak's TUT a go and see how it works out, eh? smile

Hmm it does seem to be what I want, although I don't get the thing about the slipstreamed CD. jtdoom, why would I need that? Could you explain your method a bit more?

Last edited by Jig (2007-06-26 22:35:44)

in short...

1: the downloaded DriverPacks have long filenames.
2; when you run DpBase method 2 to slip them into a copy of yuur windows CD (the source), the OEM and OEM\BIN (with binaries) folders are created for you.
3; All the files then have short filenames.

Put the OEM folder and batchfiles (like FINI.CMD) or some you write for yourself on a CDR, and that's it.
I ran fini.cmd on machine that already had all drivers, but tomorrow, I will install a crippled vanilla.
(only mass storage)
After that, I will run fini.cmd and we'll see what happens.

I bet you noticed what the original intent of a "post install KTD" (doPNF) was, and this is taking it far beyond that original intent.
If it does need action from devcon, then I will see wether I can make it work.
I will not give this priorty, tho. I hope to finish some larger jobs on my house in the coming weeks.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

One of the regulars here said that a Method 1 slipstream is perfect.
The $OEM$ folder in there has all the drivers in a form windows can read (cabbed).
I have not used one like that yet.

When I used to use my driver collection DVD, I despaired at how long it took windows to scan that DVD each time for each new found hardware..
I think the $OEM$ folder will take (much) less time to scan, but no exceptions are used..

Therefore I have good hopes for that fini.cmd method.
I ran fini four times in under an hour (with all of the packs.).
If it has to be worked on, I am sure that the other folks will jump on that wagon.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Ok I made the CD and tested it by installing a PC with WinXP using nLite for ease of use. However after a while I get an error popup with as title "Fehler", text "Couldn't open Mixer" and an Ok button. In the background the script just keeps running. Whats that about?

Edit:
I think it is the Mute.exe application that fails. The error dialog pops up twice, and after clicking ok on both the script is finished and all is closed.

Ok after some inspection, it appears that no drivers have been installed. All files have been extracted and copied, but there are still unsupported devices in the device manager. Has something gone wrong? Which command actually installs the drivers?

Last edited by Jig (2007-06-27 20:19:01)

Let's continue here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=960

edit,
here is something what works.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2403

Last edited by Jig (2007-07-20 02:36:17)