Topic: Could be my hard disk be nearing its end?

I sometimes recieve ans Event 51 in my event log and only happens rarely (when xp stops loading and i need to restart my comp)

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 6/20/2006
Time: 2:27:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: -
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...¶.
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 2e 48 0e 0a 00 00 00 ..H.....
0028: 44 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 D.......
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 @..„....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 00 00 00 00 68 e5 f4 81 ....håô
0058: 00 00 00 00 70 be 02 82 ....p¾.‚
0060: 02 00 00 00 17 24 07 05 .....$..
0068: 28 00 05 07 24 17 00 00 (...$...
0070: 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: f0 00 0b 00 00 00 00 0b ð.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I tried using Seagate's Diagnostic Tools for my Seagate HD but it returned no errors for all its test.

anyone can give me additional advise what to do?

Re: Could be my hard disk be nearing its end?

Hello hmaster10 please can you tell me wich mainboard, ram and HD you have and how big is your partition then i can help you hopefully ;-)

i have a:

Motherboard = EP-9NPA3 Ultra (NForce4)
RAM             = 512 MB DDR400
HD               = Seagate 80GB SATA II (ST3808110AS)
                   = single partition

check your ram with memtest (http://www.memtest.org/)
did you make defragmentation ? ( @command prompt "defrag -f c:" smile or you could try some third part's software of defragmentation)

already check my memory w/ memtest, no errors found.

also tried defragmenting.

one thing that i get is that Seagate File System checker says that my file system have errors and i should run scandisk w/ /f , but after doing that, it still reports that my file system have errors

Try running HD Health from here:

http://www.panterasoft.com/

It'll monitor the SMART stats for your HD, and can warn you if it is about to fail. I've run it for months, useful program.

lightsout wrote:

Try running HD Health from here:

http://www.panterasoft.com/

It'll monitor the SMART stats for your HD, and can warn you if it is about to fail. I've run it for months, useful program.

thanks, i'll try that one and post the result

EDIT:

Weird, my  HD says that it supports NCQ, but this app says that NCQ is not supported

Last edited by hmaster10 (2006-06-20 23:41:27)

best way to test your hardware is prime95 install the prog and start toturetest take the third test this will heat up your memory let this test run for 2h or longer when the memory has an problem then an fault message stops the test, then start the first test to check cpu heat. If this runs without Problems then it can be the mainboard sometimes nf4 has controller errors in ide or sata. Also sometimes but not offen the cpu is the problem because the memorycontoller is in it.

cHarOn

cHarOn wrote:

best way to test your hardware is prime95 install the prog and start toturetest take the third test this will heat up your memory let this test run for 2h or longer when the memory has an problem then an fault message stops the test, then start the first test to check cpu heat. If this runs without Problems then it can be the mainboard sometimes nf4 has controller errors in ide or sata. Also sometimes but not offen the cpu is the problem because the memorycontoller is in it.

cHarOn

nearly in my 2H of testing and prime95 still not showing any errors... i think i'll keep it going for a few more hours then try the cpu test

thanks for your help guys, i hope i get this event 51 fix sad

It could be that the hard drive is just fine but something isn't working properly between the controller (on the motherboard) and the NCQ on the drive.  You may want to see if there are BIOS updates for the motherboard or firmware updates for the drive.  All of these new technologies coming out these days seem half baked at best with each vendor implementing things however they see fit.

Perhaps some googling may reveal others are having similar difficulties.

RogueSpear wrote:

It could be that the hard drive is just fine but something isn't working properly between the controller (on the motherboard) and the NCQ on the drive.  You may want to see if there are BIOS updates for the motherboard or firmware updates for the drive.  All of these new technologies coming out these days seem half baked at best with each vendor implementing things however they see fit.

Perhaps some googling may reveal others are having similar difficulties.

i tried googling but didn't understand what i found... you can say that i'm a little moob w/ these new stuff... heheh sorry sad

hmaster10 wrote:

one thing that i get is that Seagate File System checker says that my file system have errors and i should run scandisk w/ /f , but after doing that, it still reports that my file system have errors

Don't you love when Microsoft has/knows about typos and doesn't correct them?! I know I do...
instead of "Scandisk /F" the command that it actually means is "CHKDSK /R" ( /F switch doesn't exist wink )

hmaster10 wrote:

i tried googling but didn't understand what i found... you can say that i'm a little moob w/ these new stuff... heheh sorry sad

I'm not so expert either when it comes to the absolute latest, I just remember reading something someplace about NCQ compatibility issues a couple of months ago.  I would suggest starting with the websites of your motherboard manufacturer and of Seagate to see if there is anything regarding the issue.

I don't know if you can even do this, and if you can - how to do it.  But if you could disable NCQ and let drive operate in an "old fashioned" mode for a little while, then check for those error messages.  The description of your error message is what got me on the whole NCQ issue, but I could be totally off.

I tried turning the NCQ off and the event 51 disappears, i'll run it for a few more days and see what happens.

Actually, I do recall a Seagate/Nvidia issue with NCQ.... so perhaps that is a good move!

Although the only reference I could find was with a Maxtor issue...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29570