Topic: Help DriverPacks.net get a Virtual Private Server!

Let's face it. The DriverPacks.net site isn't fast, it's slow as h*ll. The forum is fast though, but it's quirky every now and then: sometimes you have to resubmit your post up to 10 times before it really gets submitted. And the bugtracker isn't working properly, because the ISP of the web server currently has a MySQL version installed that's got a bug in it, and they can't update it because it's tied into their control panel software.

When I announced the opensourcing of this project, I never meant to leave this project. Nor did I. In the past few months I've spent very little time on the DriverPacks, muiz & ruudboek did most of the work there. I did do some work on the BASE though.
But most of the time I've been spending at getting to know Drupal, which is a very extensible and modular CMS framework. It's great. It will allow me to merge the main web site, forum and bugtracker into one site, while not losing the current forum and bugtracker: it's possible to import them! Yes: single sign on from then.
It won't stop there. A manual will be included in the web site as well, with some wiki-like editing abilities for logged in users and moderators will be able to approve changes.
And that's not the end either. This is not yet ready, but being worked on: a true driver database, to which any logged in user will be able to submit updated drivers and then they will be moderated (approved/disapproved) by the DriverPacks Team. In a later phase - when the driverDB will have been proven stable - the ability for client applications to interact it will be added as well, primarily for the DriverPacks BASE of course, but also for anybody else to interact with it. That's right. An API for the driverDB (will be through XML-RPC for sure, since it's well supported by Drupal).

Although for all these niceties to run snappy, I will need to be able to set up a custom hosted environment: it will need a fast MySQL server, PHP with a cache installed (eAccellerator or APC), the ability to install custom Apache modules (WebDAV for uploading large drivers), et cetera. A dedicated server is out of our reach: at least 160 USD/month. A "Virtual Private Server" is possible though: if we pay for an entire year, it costs 39.96 USD/month, plus a 25 USD setup fee, so 504.52 USD in total.

We need your help to achieve this!

Initially, the web site will just be noticably faster. When the new web site is ready though, you will still have an equally snappy web site, but with much more features.

Here's some statistics to show you why it's really becoming critical to move this project to the next level:

Web site statistics
In the entire year of 2006, the main web site, i.e. http://driverpacks.net/, had 528,528 visits, 352,373 unique visitors and generating a grand total of 3,300,936 pageviews.

And since May 26, 2006, our own forum was online: http://forum.driverpacks.net/. In little over half a year it had 177,613 visits, 120,120 unique visitors and 738,991 pageviews.

Some location/language/browser/connection statistics
24 percent of our visitors come from the United States, 7 percent from Germany, 6% from the U.K., 5% from France and Russia, 4.5% from China, 4% from Canada, 3% from Poland and Australia.

For more than 50% of all visits, English (either U.S. or British English) was set as the browser language.

52% of our users use Internet Explorer, 38 % use Firefox/Mozilla and 8% use Opera.

72% uses broadband, 10% uses dialup, 5% have corporate internet connections and of the remaining users it is unknown.

Download statistics
The DriverPacks BASE was downloaded 20,000-25,000 times each month on average, but at the end of the year this has been rapidly increasing, in the first half of January 2007 alone there were 45,000 downloads of the BASE, which forced me to move the BASE to the thesneaky.com server as well.

Since January 22, 2006, up till today (27 January 2007), these are the statistics for the main download server (thesneaky.com). Since March 2006 or so, all DriverPacks were served from this server, except for the BASE, which was hosted on DriverPacks.net until mid-January.

(Figures in parentheses refer to the 7-day period ending Jan 27 2007 at 4:23 AM.)

Successful requests: 4,285,502 (181,662)
Average successful requests per day: 11,655 (25,951)
Data transferred: 11.29 terabytes (298.45 gigabytes)
Average data transferred per day: 31.44 gigabytes (42.64 gigabytes)

Note that these numbers are not the same as the true number of downloads of the DriverPacks. In the past download managers weren't blocked, and now they are, although partial downloads are still allowed. Nevertheless, these numbers remain HUGE. If I had received 0.25 USD per download request, I'd have become a millionaire in just one year...

If you take the current average daily amount of data transferred, that is 42 gigabytes, and you see how much that is per second, you end up at 0.4977 MB per second. That's half a megabyte per second (or 4 Mbit/sec), 24/7!
If you look at the entire year period, that's 31.44 gigabytes/day, or still 0.4471 MB per second, during more than a year, 24/7!!!

UPDATE: Helmi has sent 25 USD directly to me, to avoid a 15% fee charged by his credit card company, so I simply lowered the goal by 25 USD.

UPDATE: The ChipIn widget wasn't loading in FireFox, I've now fixed that.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Re: Help DriverPacks.net get a Virtual Private Server!

Splendid idea!

Just one question, is it possible to pay in Euros somehow?
If I'm doing a USD transaction off my CC, I'll be charged some 15% exchange fees, money that I'd rather donate to the project smile

Helmi wrote:

Splendid idea!

Just one question, is it possible to pay in Euros somehow?
If I'm doing a USD transaction off my CC, I'll be charged some 15% exchange fees, money that I'd rather donate to the project smile

ChipIn is just a layer that generates the progress widget, they don't touch the financials at all, that's all handled through PayPal.

And I know from experience that PayPal keeps a fee of just a couple of percents max for doing a currency conversion. Can't you use PayPal for doing the conversion somehow?

have you looked at powweb.com

oops, this is edited.
didn't know they were not worth it.

Last edited by bitman44 (2007-01-28 13:05:45)

bitman44 wrote:

have you looked at powweb.com

please delete this message if you want.
40,000 mb webspace.
800 gig/mth bandwidth
$5.77 a month

i used them...with custom apache..
i think they are great.

1) I have a PowWeb account and they totally suck. It's terribly slow, often down, there is (at least still on my account) a 10 GB/day limit, etc.
2) That's shared hosting and it doesn't allow you to do set up cached PHP, WebDAV, custom MySQL query cache size just to mention some basic things...

Shared hosting is good for two things: low traffic websites such as blogs and cheap (though not very reliable) bandwidth. A VPS is something of a higher level of reliability and customizablility. Plus it always comes with faster & better support.

I think you should reconsider the way you offer your downloads. You're hosting in a dedicated fashion something that requires far too much bandwidth. Instead, you should run a dedicated tracker and distribute DriverPacks (including BASE and anything else available for download) via Torrents.

This would cut down on your bandwidth considerably.

- jcarle

Bâshrat the Sneaky, e-mail me...

I have something that I think you'll want to hear.

jcarle wrote:

I think you should reconsider the way you offer your downloads. You're hosting in a dedicated fashion something that requires far too much bandwidth. Instead, you should run a dedicated tracker and distribute DriverPacks (including BASE and anything else available for download) via Torrents.

- jcarle

Yes, and on the new website I'm planning to include a BitTorrent tracker similar to RyanVM's as well. But this isn't about bandwidth - this is about giving the main website new possibilities.

Why not a dedicated server though? You can get one for less than $70 a month from some providers (Good experiences with them my self).
Virtual private servers nearly always only give you a certain amount of resources - e.g. 50mb ram and 200mhz worth of cpu power which could end up worth than shared hosting.

Not a bad idea though, at least you can install whatever you want and I suppose $70 is quite a bit more than $40. Then again paying for that $70 one yearly I'm sure you get 20% off... not sure though.

I would love to support you with this, but I don't have a lot of money at the moment.

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

And I know from experience that PayPal keeps a fee of just a couple of percents max for doing a currency conversion. Can't you use PayPal for doing the conversion somehow?

I'm not worried about the PayPal fee, there's nothing I can do anbout it.

The thing is, when paying with my CC, if I pay in another currency than €, I will be charged extra fees (some 15% of the total amount).

The mask presented on the site does not let me change the currency from $ to €, that's why I'm asking whether there is a way to setup the whole thing so that donors can chose their currency of choice.

curtis-92 wrote:

Why not a dedicated server though? You can get one for less than $70 a month from some providers (Good experiences with them my self).
Virtual private servers nearly always only give you a certain amount of resources - e.g. 50mb ram and 200mhz worth of cpu power which could end up worth than shared hosting.

Not a bad idea though, at least you can install whatever you want and I suppose $70 is quite a bit more than $40. Then again paying for that $70 one yearly I'm sure you get 20% off... not sure though.

I would love to support you with this, but I don't have a lot of money at the moment.

This Virtual Private Server provides us with a minimum of 512 MB of RAM, with a burst of up to 2 GB. That's more than some Dedicated Servers wink And this is already with a discount, if you pay monthly, it'd cost 50 USD/month.
If it turns out that this VPS isn't sufficient, we could still move to a Dedicated Server plan, no worries.

Helmi wrote:

I'm not worried about the PayPal fee, there's nothing I can do anbout it.

The thing is, when paying with my CC, if I pay in another currency than €, I will be charged extra fees (some 15% of the total amount).

The mask presented on the site does not let me change the currency from $ to €, that's why I'm asking whether there is a way to setup the whole thing so that donors can chose their currency of choice.

Unfortunately I have yet to find such an option... Alternatively, you could donate directly to me and I could lower the goal.

well, FAIK, if one donates to DriverPacks, one can do it in euro to euro, in which paypal will still do a conversion to British Pounds...and back to Euro. They do have to make some money, so they always do the conversion, and US residents will pay US$ to Pounds, to Euro, which will eat about 5 percent..

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-01-29 17:59:16)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

hmmm, I've sent cash to people like Patrick Kolla.. (from spybot SD.) and others.
They had their street adress or a PO-box online...

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Unfortunately I have yet to find such an option... Alternatively, you could donate directly to me and I could lower the goal.

Alright then, that worked out perfectly last time smile

It was only when I donated to nLite (where also $ is set instead of €) that I encountered this "problem".

I will use the link in my sig to get the money over then wink

http://filehosterliste.byto.de/eng/index.html

you know it ?

Last edited by mikelm (2007-01-29 17:52:44)

Helmi wrote:

Alright then, that worked out perfectly last time smile

It was only when I donated to nLite (where also $ is set instead of €) that I encountered this "problem".

I will use the link in my sig to get the money over then wink

The changes have been applied, as you can see wink Thanks!

As I've mentioned in an earlier reply (4 posts higher than yours), this is *NOT* about bandwidth. The files will not be hosted on this VPS, but the website will, and it will allow us to add many new features and still have a snappy website wink

just my 2cts. -  if you get to have a virtual private server- with root-access,   be smart and install a torrent tracker + a seeding client on your server, -  if your even, smarter set it to super seed... only.. that way youll only have to support the  'hard to get' parts and let  peers be responsible for giving the better part.  (even if it only saves you  10% of bandwidth its worth it... no?)

with regards...

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

This Virtual Private Server provides us with a minimum of 512 MB of RAM, with a burst of up to 2 GB. That's more than some Dedicated Servers wink And this is already with a discount, if you pay monthly, it'd cost 50 USD/month.
If it turns out that this VPS isn't sufficient, we could still move to a Dedicated Server plan, no worries.

Sounds alright then, you got a good deal then as generally you end up getting low fixed resources.  No point in spending more than you need to anyway, figured that out running my hosting company.

no offense but the virtual server is just.. crap nothing more nothing less.
simply having ram and bandwith means nothing if you wont get the speeds required... which shared servers virtually never will for normal files. let alone files like these driverpacks.

Why not use a torrentlike system? i realise some people at least would block uploads. but others would make up for the loss with ease, i for one wouldnt mind sharing some of my bandwith for a good cause

cere4l wrote:

no offense but the virtual server is just.. crap nothing more nothing less.
simply having ram and bandwith means nothing if you wont get the speeds required... which shared servers virtually never will for normal files. let alone files like these driverpacks.

Why not use a torrentlike system? i realise some people at least would block uploads. but others would make up for the loss with ease, i for one wouldnt mind sharing some of my bandwith for a good cause

If you join the discussion, then first read all posts wink

As I've mentioned in an earlier reply (4 posts higher than yours), this is *NOT* about bandwidth. The files will not be hosted on this VPS, but the website will, and it will allow us to add many new features and still have a snappy website wink

aaah, sorry mustve skipped that part. but my question still stands.. why not use a torrentlike system tongue

did you know this provider?

http://www.loomes.de/02_produkte_start.php?

i have this  platin version ..

or look at this

http://www.loomes.de/02_produkte_profi.php

would this fit your wishes?

Last edited by mikelm (2007-02-01 19:16:20)

cere4l wrote:

aaah, sorry mustve skipped that part. but my question still stands.. why not use a torrentlike system tongue

To that I've also replied already wink Check this:

jcarle wrote:

- jcarle

Yes, and on the new website I'm planning to include a BitTorrent tracker similar to RyanVM's as well. But this isn't about bandwidth - this is about giving the main website new possibilities.

mikelm wrote:

did you know this provider?

http://www.loomes.de/02_produkte_start.php?

i have this  platin version ..

or look at this

http://www.loomes.de/02_produkte_profi.php

would this fit your wishes?

The server this very forum is ran from is more powerful than that one wink

right so erm anyways, would you mind runing a second money gathering thing under the name of "buy cere4l a new pair of glasses"?
*coughs

Well, as I've said to you in the past Bâshrat the Sneaky (well, a LONG time ago anyway), I'd be happy to host and/or mirror the driver packs for you on my downloads page, or maybe we could work something custom out.  I was looking at your posted stats, and that's nothing compared to what my downloads site does (I think I do a bare minimum 225GB per day in downloads).  But anyway, what I'm saying is that I can handle the load if needed.  I have an extremely powerful server (2 actually, though one is mainly for my clients while the other is just for me) and if my ads keep doing well to help generate revenue, I can also afford more bandwidth (and faster bandwidth) if necessary.  I mean I'm already paying over $850 a month for my servers and bandwidth now, what's a little more to help another community out.  wink  Please let me know if you are interested.  This is a serious offer.  My main site is: http://downloads.littlbuger.info  smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/LittlBUGer/Sigs/LittlBUGer_Sig.jpg
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style5,LittlBUGer.png