Topic: [NO BUG] Using DBs_Base w/cardreader installed

I'm running Win2KproSP4, HDD's are on an onboard Promise controller, and I have a Mitsumi floppy/card reader combo drive. Using DPs_BASE v7.01.2.

When I run the DPs_BASE program, I get an error. It happens any time I try to browse to a new directory. This is the error code;

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Application Popup
Event Category:    None
Event ID:       26
Date:        1/22/2007
Time:        3:59:51 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:     ELBRUTE
Description:
Application popup: DPs_BASE.exe - No Disk : There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk3\DR5. 

Never seen that type of path before. DPs_BASE was obviously looking at the cardreader. How does DPs_BASE look for the HDD's anyway?

If I click on continue several times it'll eventually find the HDD's and allow me to select a source directory. Everything runs correctly from then on. This also happens with nLite, and RayansVM Integrator.

I thought it might be 'cause I'm on 2k, or maybe the Promise controller. Now I hear that it might be an issue with the internal card reader. So I tried it without the cardreader, and DPs_BASE found my HDD's just fine.

I've allready built an UAXP-CD using the current versions and installed to another machine with an onboard Promise controller, but no card reader. Everything went great, no problems.

Not a real problem when using DPs_BASE since it'll eventually find my drives. Just have to remember to disconnect the cardreader from this machine before installing XP.

If you ever find out why it does this, I would like to know.

Dave

If it ain't broke, you ain't 'FIXED' it enough.

Re: [NO BUG] Using DBs_Base w/cardreader installed

The BASE doesn't look for HDD's at all... Please post a screenshot, because I really don't understand how you have gotten into this.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Here's a screenshot. (hope this works)
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5171/nodisk20mc.jpg

dave

Last edited by elbrute (2007-01-26 06:53:10)

Eh? yikes

It only happens when you try to select a location, probably? Then it's not the code of the BASE, but the Windows API that is returning this error...

Really strange. This happens with DPs_BASE, nLite, AutoPatcher, and RayansVM Integrator, but doesn't happen with other windows apps such as Quicken, Excell, TurboTax, ect. Don't have a clue as to why.

When I install XP on this machine, (gonna be a while yet), I'll see if it still happens. Maybe something in 2k's API is different than XP's API.
Anybody out there with a cardreader on XP that could check it out?

Dave

there are many topics about this on msfn forum, maybe you could  read some more there.

Last edited by muiz3 (2007-01-26 09:47:19)

elbrute wrote:

Really strange. This happens with DPs_BASE, nLite, AutoPatcher, and RayansVM Integrator, but doesn't happen with other windows apps such as Quicken, Excell, TurboTax, ect. Don't have a clue as to why.

When I install XP on this machine, (gonna be a while yet), I'll see if it still happens. Maybe something in 2k's API is different than XP's API.
Anybody out there with a cardreader on XP that could check it out?

Dave

This is not a 2000 vs. XP issue.

This issue is NOT related to your cardreader, I think, but rather due to an incorrect low-level system setting (which may be related to your card reader), though I haven't seen anything like this before, so I won't be able to help you. Sorry.

Please try muiz' suggestion.

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

This issue is NOT related to your cardreader, I think, but rather due to an incorrect low-level system setting (which may be related to your card reader), though I haven't seen anything like this before, so I won't be able to help you. Sorry.

True, I have an internal USB card reader myself, as well as in two other PCs I administrate and none of them has shown such an issue, neither inconjunction with BASE nor otherwise.

I have had problems in the past with Card Readers, Windows installing on drive H:, looking at the wrong drive for files during Installs.
USB stuff is quirky in DOS mode installs etc.

Best way, unplug Card Readers etc. when doing an Install and then connect it when the install is done.

Pre DriverPacks I found that loading Windows with all PCI cards installed created problem so I did the Install with most of them
removed, solved IRQ & DMA issues and then installed the cards after the Install had completed.

After DriverPacks the above PCI card problem is not an issue as drivers and IRQ problem resolve themselves.

p.s. I agree with Helmi, some higher end Card Readers work just fine.

Last edited by BigBrit (2007-01-27 05:03:22)

I have had problems in the past with Card Readers, Windows installing on drive H:, looking at the wrong drive for files during Installs.

Best way, unplug Card Readers etc. when doing an Install and then connect it when the install is done.

Pre DriverPacks I found that loading Windows with all PCI cards installed created problem so I did the Install with most of them
removed, solved IRQ & DMA issues and then installed the cards after the Install had completed.

After DriverPacks the above PCI card problem is not an issue as drivers and IRQ problem resolve themselves.

Yes !!

BigBrit wrote:

I noticed something similar with an external USB HDD (not that much a problem disconnecting it, though).
Basically, disabling (or enabling? If I could only remember) USB Legacy support in the BIOS fixed it.

This is less a USB problem but more of how well your MB manufacturer implemented USB support in the BIOS I believe.
It's too bad most of them are still not 100% compatible, just as it is with ACPI (the S3 sleep state works only properly on a handful of MBs...)

p.s. I agree with Helmi, some higher end Card Readers work just fine.

That could very well be the cae because all three card readers I have tested this on are actually pretty high-end (at least judging by the price and design wink)

While I admit the Mitsumi card reader isn't a high-end unit, it hasn't given me any problems. It just seemed odd that nLite, AutoImage, and DPs_Base are the only programs that do this.
At any rate, considering the age of my hardware, it probably is something on my end.

@ Helmi
What card readers are you using. I use flash drives alot and maybe I should get a better unit.

Thanks for all the input.
Dave

elbrute wrote:

@ Helmi
What card readers are you using. I use flash drives alot and maybe I should get a better unit.

Because all these four computers use Lian Li cases, I equipped them with fitting Lian Li Card Readers:
http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Accessor … Reader.htm

So far, the somewhat higher price (~30€/$) has paid off, at least I didn't have any troubles with them wink

This could be due to the MB, though, I can't say for sure (just pointing out so you don't buy an expensive CR for nothing when it's your board causing the trouble)