Topic: [IMPL] Stand ALONE DRIVER CD OPTION 3 for Driver Base ?

I would love to see this feature added as when you are a tech and go to a CLIENTS home this effort and DRIVER CD would be most useful and appreciated ... Not that it isnt now but to have a SINGLE stand alone searchable CD would make this an EVEN MORE valuable tool then it already is and IT IS VALUABLE !!!

Its like a GOLD mine of Drivers ... Please try and work something out for this or maybe add that as option 3 in the driver base a way to make a DRIVER only CD

Thanks for the EXCELLENT WORK

Midnite

Re: [IMPL] Stand ALONE DRIVER CD OPTION 3 for Driver Base ?

I hope this is what you want

this has been asked before, and I wrote this about doing drivers on CD.

Suppose you have a testrig in which you regularly change devices for you have to see wether they still work.
it runs XP which you do not want to reload.
it would be nice to have a large collection of devicedrivers ready on the drive.
Well, one can do something quite interesting.

what does one need...
1; one or two little cmd files one creates for oneself
2; a source you slipped with base, using method 2 (the source will then contains the files.)
3; 7zip.. (for the doPNF.cmd method.)

and then... how it works
copy the OEM folder from the slipstreamed source to a CDRW
create a little batchfile (or create both) and copy that to that CDRW
--------

Dopath.cmd works very simple
It extracts the files from the slipstreamed CDRW or DVDRW into a folder in windows.
devpath then tells windows the files are there, ready to be searched when hardware is added.
You have to hit "use anyway" when you run hardware wizard and it turns out the driver is not WHQL signed.

doPATH.CMD

SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\7z.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z -o"%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
exit

-----------

This other method takes longer to apply because makePNF installs the drivers into the windows INF section.
To make that possible, you have to extract a few files with 7zip
(makePNF.exe and DSPdsblr.exe are packed in DPsFnshr.7z)
Unpack the content to a temp folder, then copy to root of the CDR or DVDRW you'll burn.

doPNF.CMD

SET TAGFILE=\DSPdsblr.exe
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\7z.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DP*.7z -o"%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
start %CDDRIVE%\DSPdsblr.exe
%CDDRIVE%\makePNF.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
taskkill /f /im DSPdsblr.exe

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks
exit

-----------

note, if you simply un7zip all the driverpacks and third party packs, you need a DVD.
it would be searchable...

when they are packed, you can do above on a CD

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi jtdoom, I tried DSPdsblr and makePNF instructions.. and it adds all drivers to the windows db very sweetly.

But now I'm trying to "install" all your drivers in batch script (unattended).. by install i mean:
1. update devices with installed microsoft drivers such as ATA drivers where your packs contain an update.
2. install any devices currently in class Unknown that exist in your packs.

The scenario is a freshly installed *non-slipstreamed* Windows, then want to one-click install any drivers in the packs that are wanted, leaving the machine a lot more usable!

I'm trying to do something like this:

devcon remove =Unknown
devcon rescan

Or this:

devcon remove *
start SuppressAddNewHardwareWizard.exe
devcon rescan
taskkill /f /im SuppressAddNewHardwareWizard.exe

works mostly toward point 2 above - except that devices not known to windows nor your packs pop up the add new hardware wizard window.

How do you suggest I go about this? If there is no community solution - I am happy to code this project as a contribution to us all.. but would need some guidance. I'm good with c# 2.0.

Time for install on target PC is not an issue, so my first thought it to do a devcon updateni on every single hardware device, against every single .inf in driver packs, and abort the inner loop when successfully updated.

I also would like to see a feature like 'make CD/DVD drivers', in a way that makes the search process of the Windows wizard fast, because making a disc of only decompressed driverpacks takes too much time for the OS to find the correct driver.

Can we make this a request?

Last edited by aaaa (2007-08-26 10:22:05)

SAD is now a supported feature see the FAQ forum topic Stand Alone DriverPacks (SAD)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Also, it seems to have been included in the base system image that I used; Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (MSDN), because it did show up in the DISM driver listing. Otherwise, it was installed through Windows Update (which I kept an eye on the list, so I don't think so...).

I haven't had well experience yet, so I appreciate your advices. I greet you