Topic: OPEN: Windows Vista support [APPROVED]

Has anyone tried using the driverpacks with Vista?  Now that it is available to the public for download I wanted to know if it will work with the driverpacks, and if not request that a future version might do so.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-06-27 22:20:26)

A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 3800+, Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT, Dell 2405FPW 24" Monitor
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
4 Seagate ST3400633AS 400GB HDD in RAID5, Plextor PX-716A & PX-712A ODD

Re: OPEN: Windows Vista support [APPROVED]

I beleive vista is very different in the way everything works.  I doubt if it is possible just yet for Bashrat to add Vista support.  But I am sure as soon as we find out how... Bashrat will add it.

Vista WILL be supported. But not just yet, first get all Windows XP platforms working wink

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

nForce3 is supported natively in Vista x64 Beta 2 (build 5384.4).  So is the Radeon X850 XT PE (and it's recognized as such smile).  I suspect that most modern motherboards and devices will also have native Vista support when it goes final.

The hardest thing I see in creating DriverPacks for Vista is replacing the native drivers with up to date ones.

Last edited by 5eraph (2006-06-10 06:15:40)

That WILL be figured out smile Not the time for that now though (blame those useless exams tongue :lol)!

I figured it would be on the horizon.  I guess the main point was "Hey it's out just in case you didn't know"!  That way we can have something working by the time it goes Gold.

If no one has used it yet, it is worth noting that there is NO text mode setup anymore!  The whole process is GUI based, but I am erroring out at 7% with the 80070241 Error Code.  I'll try a different PC when I get home.

A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 3800+, Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT, Dell 2405FPW 24" Monitor
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
4 Seagate ST3400633AS 400GB HDD in RAID5, Plextor PX-716A & PX-712A ODD

I don't know if this will help you, but it helped me plenty when trying to get Vista to install.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho … ntry517465

i will love the vista support wink but i thinks there will be more drivers in january.

Vista support? Is this needed? I think, Vista brings the Drivers for nearly everything integrated....so what do you want to improve?

I think, the MAIN MAIN focus should be the XP improving support, especially the MassStorage Drivers (I know, pain in the ass...)

mass storage drivers for windows x64 and vista x64 will need massive OEM support.

HDaudio and vista X64,,, that is not going to be for yesterday too. OEM drivers that get qualified in windows X64, might work. I did not get them to work, so far.

mass storage, if ya can get the list of storage drivers that work in vista and vista 64, I am all ears.

for some sources I ask it at, I cannot say wether I can put anything they anwser in public.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

its only just shortly that vista went to RTL (final) stage... - it will take a while before most hardware wil have stable OEM- drivers for vista  (als it will be harder to include non-signed drivers - but it should still be possible...

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

64-bit Vista requires signed drivers is one thing. In time a driver pack will be required as it simply won't support hardware release after now!

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=18797

Just came across this article:
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7246/52/

Might be an interesting read regarding the situation.

Anyway, keep in mind that the DriverPacks are still an excellent solution for either adding uodated drivers to the source or drivers for HW realeased after the RTM of Vista.
So while it may offer superior support to its predecessors it will not make the DriverPacks obsolete in any case.

EDIT:
Sorry, lieblingsbesuch, didn't follow your link...
hmm

Well, it still remains to be seen how that will evolve. XP also supported LOTS of devices, but in the mean time, a huge number of new hardware brands/manufacturers have been founded. And there are also always evolutions one can not predict, or at least that we as end-users can not predict. Who would have thought 5 years ago that High Definition Audio would have been a standard feature on virtually every motherboard? OK, perhaps some of you were aware of that, but I certainly not was (I only have internet since 3 years and my first own computer since 5 years, so I was a n00bie back then).

Anyways, my point is, that it remains to be seen if Microsoft will be keeping up with new AND updated drivers. And aside from that, Windows XP will still be alive very much the next years. Windows 2000 is still actively used by many companies, so this project will not be truly obsolete very soon.

ok i need to install my promise controller with the xp drivers. the audigy 2 zs, my fritz dsl box and my hauppauge tv card cause the win update driver dont install a dll that is needed from wintv 2000. so it will be nice to see the support.

vista is not something you want to support in driver packs, as it is verry diferent in setup,
if you want vista support, i guess its al about starting from scratch. 

please dont ad vista to the  2k xp version it will only mess things up,

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

I was reading msdn blogs and they said xp drivers will work in compatability mode but there are 30,000 drivers on the disk + more via windows update some special devices will need drivers but for the most part i do not see a need

well maybe x64 drivers LOL

I've found Vista's driver support to be actually quite poor.

I'd be interested in making (a 3rd party if necessary) driverpacks for Vista, if no-one else is!

Cant wait for vista support, got it unattended already, only the drivers still missing

here some new guides :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=95462

Last edited by muiz3 (2007-04-03 03:02:46)

MvT Cracker wrote:

I was reading msdn blogs and they said xp drivers will work in compatability mode but there are 30,000 drivers on the disk + more via windows update some special devices will need drivers but for the most part i do not see a need

well maybe x64 drivers LOL

Well I am a Microsoft Oem System Builder I do tend to stick to standard hardware so vista's driver's have worked fine and the rest came via windows update.....

but it dose look like there may be some interest/need for a vista driver pack

i really think it is time that someone gives vista driver packs some attention. more and more people use it everyday, infact all of my friends except one is using vista. most of them told me i am wasting my time when i first got it, now all the idiots are using it, lol.

my point is that the change seems like it is happening slowly, but one day you gonna open your eyes and realise that xp population seemed to suddenly jumped from 80% to 5% and vista jumped from 20% to 95% and then you will end up rushing to get a vista driverpack out ?

Xp is old news now, it is being used less and less everyday, in 2009 ( which is just around the corner ) windows vienna will be out, xp will be even more usseless then, so in my opinnion, waisting time making driverpacks for an operating system that is seriously VERY FAST on it's way out does not make sense ....

maybe it is time to start working on a vista framework ? i would be happy to help with driver collections and anything else ....

raymerjacque wrote:

now all the idiots are using it, lol.

That sums it up nicely tongue

[...] one day you gonna open your eyes and realise that xp population seemed to suddenly jumped from 80% to 5% and vista jumped from 20% to 95%

Doubtful.
Sales aren't going as well as MS predicted (then again, thise marketeers are always way too optimistic) and if it's not for buying a whole new system that already comes with Vista preinstalled, there's hardly anyone switching just because, IMO.

Xp is old news now, it is being used less and less everyday, in 2009 ( which is just around the corner ) windows vienna will be out, xp will be even more usseless then, so in my opinnion, waisting time making driverpacks for an operating system that is seriously VERY FAST on it's way out does not make sense ....

Now, isn't that a contradiction in itself?
If Vienna is about to come that soon (and yes, I have read that elsewhere in numerous places, so it's probabaly true), there's even less reason to switch to Vista.
Stick to XP until Vienna is there, then jump over, skipping Vista altogether.

Makes more sense to me at least.

maybe it is time to start working on a vista framework ? i would be happy to help with driver collections and anything else ....

Now, I'm not speaking out all against Vista here, but frankly, anyone using his OS in a rather professional sense gains exactly what through Vista that isn't for the most part offered by XP already?
I'm sure, it's neither Aero Glass nor DX10...
Yes, there are a couple of nice new features, but does that make you switch from a good-working OS that you already know very well, has a large user base and lot of resources to be found about on the net to something rather new when it does not offer a big advantage?
Seems rather foolish to do so right now.

Just my €0.02... smile

I have to go with Helmi on this

Most of my clients have many systems and are not going to go out and buy hundreds of copys of an OS and switch all their machines redevelop thier software and retrain their users. Since I could use the money why don't you see if you can talk them into it for me.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-04-20 16:17:26)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

none the less.

No matter what you do, or how hard you try, or whatever excuse you come up with, or how much you hate it, anyway you look at it, VISTA IS HERE NOW, there is nothing you can do to stop it from taking over the market or making it's place in the world, XP IS ON IT'S WAY OUT, and there is nothing you can do to stop it either, by the end of this year vista will be the main operating system in use by the general public, especialy when vista sp1 is launched, those that have not bought are waiting for the compatibility and bug fix patch IE sp1. by the end of the year you will have lost 80% of your users here on this board because only a handfull will be living in the past .....

besides, i don't understand the harm in making a framework for vista ? , is it laziness or lack of the operating system knowledge ? . does it not make sense to make a framework so long so that the users like me can start working on driverpacks ?

and please if you give objections then give some valid arguements, not just "vista sucks" bla bla bla crap.

Last edited by raymerjacque (2007-04-22 06:06:34)